1965 Riviera GS Kissimmee Mecum

kreed

1965 Riviera GS Black/ Black sold for $150 K plus buyers premium = $165 K . Don’t know anything about the car but prices are crazy now . Interestingly had a red pinstripe down the side to match the redline tires . Looked nice on TV but I’m sure someone knows the details on this car . 
KReed
ROA 14549

It does not surprise me that there are Riv's selling near or well over $100K

Exceptional restorations (John DiFrancesco's Bambo Cream) or unrestored gems (Steve Ledger's Verde Green) are worth every dollar

someone is willing to pay.

Everyone knows the time and money needed for a top Resto.

Everyone knows how rare low mileage, unmolested originals are.

Hope John & Steve don't mind posting photo of their magnificent Rivs.

Just Beautiful Cars.

Tom K

20150703_122430.jpg

20160730_101627.jpg

• Like 3

That same '65 Gran Sport was sold on Bring a Trailer in October for $121k.

The buyer flipped it at Mecum for a tidy profit of almost $30k.  Nice return on his money for only holding the car for 3 months!

If this is indicative of the market for these cars then it looks like the speculators are crowding into what was formerly the preserve of the hobbyist car collector.

1 hour ago, 65VerdeGS said:

That same '65 Gran Sport was sold on Bring a Trailer in October for $121k.

The buyer flipped it at Mecum for a tidy profit of almost $30k.  Nice return on his money for only holding the car for 3 months!

If this is indicative of the market for these cars then it looks like the speculators are crowding into what was formerly the preserve of the hobbyist car collector.

Are you sure that these are the same car?

The upholstery appears to be different colors to me.

And one engine is painted, while the other is still original factor paint.

Other small differences between them.

12 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Reminds me of a lecture from the accountant. I own a non-automotive C corp and my wife does the bookkeeping. The accountant asked about a  debit and a credit of equal amounts 90 days apart.My wife looked at me and blurted out "That's the Jaguar money". Believe me, handling money in a legitimate, tax paying transaction the "tidy profit" is shared with bigger powers. And you could get a lecture on using your company as a slush fund.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:34 PM, Jim Cannon said:

I agree Jim, not the same car. 

• Like 1

It puzzles me why someone would go to an auction and get fleeced when they

could just buy the car for half price a couple of months before the auction. If I was

in the market for a 65 GS Riviera an auction is absolutely the last place I would look for one.

• Like 4

On 1/14/2022 at 7:34 PM, Jim Cannon said:

Hi Jim - you're right, they were different cars.  Both are black, curiously, and wearing red-line tires.  But, looking closer, they are not the same car.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Alex  

The seller made $30,000 on the deal BUT figure in his commission ( 10% if reserve, 5% if no reserve) plus the cost of listing the car and yes, you pay more depending on which day the car is shown. Plus I'm pretty sure, the State gets a cut for sales tax. Need confirmation. 

Another thing- that car was repainted, in the original color. I was surprised at what it brought. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about the crazy prices at auctions vs. the reality of the regular marketplace and it dawned

on me what is going on.........extremely wealthy people go to the auctions to buy their cars because they

like to get out there and show off to others how much coin they have.......the cost of the car is irrelevant to

them because they have millions of dollars in their bank account, but they can only really show off their

wealth in an auction environment and they get off on outbidding all of their fellow rich competitors for

the car in question. Kind of like two roosters showing off in front of the hens. All it takes for crazy prices to

ensue is too filthy  rich guys who are interested in buying the same car.....the actual selling price is irrelevant

to them as long as they come out on top of the other roosters in the barn.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 1/17/2022 at 8:32 PM, rocky5517 said:

The seller made $30,000 on the deal BUT figure in his commission ( 10% if reserve, 5% if no reserve) plus the cost of listing the car and yes, you pay more depending on which day the car is shown. Plus I'm pretty sure, the State gets a cut for sales tax. Need confirmation. 

Another thing- that car was repainted, in the original color. I was surprised at what it brought. 

Seller likely made more than that.  This car was for sale in August of 2021 for $75k obo.