Valve seat service tools

Axial_Flow

Hello,

I am looking for recommendations for valve seat servicing tools.  I would like something I could use on both OHV and flathead engines.  I do have experience using the 3 angle type cutters that have a pilot inserted in the valve guide.

Let me know your experiences and thoughts.

Kind regards,

I think Souix is the standard by which all are judged, but there are old Black and Dekkers around. I'm not familiar with Halls or others. Souix stones are much easier to come by , but adapter sleeves are available to use the stones on B and D machines. These can be bought pretty reasonable these days. It's all about how many stones and what condition they are in.  Also if the pilots you need are there.  If you are doing flathead Fords there are special ones that go in the guide hole instead of the valve stem. 

All of these are only as good as the guy running it.  

• Thanks 1

If you have the pocket, look at the Neway setup. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=neway+valve+seat+cutter

A lot of guys on the MTFCA forum talk them up, I have not used them.

Generally any valve seat work I need, the block is out and have done at the shop I use. I have an older Souix valve grinder, and for seats, a cobbled together Kwik-Way setup that I can use in a pinch. If you do get an older setup, be sure it comes with the stone dresser.

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I have used the Neway seat cutters on bronze and cast iron valve seats and find that they work very well. I dont know how well they would work on stellite seats.

It is easier, in my opinion, to control seat dimenstions with the Neway cutters than with the traditional stone seat grinders that I have also used.

• Thanks 1

I have and use Sioux. Parts are still available last I checked. My valve re-facers, (I have 2.) also have the stem length grinder. This is handy on old Ford engines that the lifters are solid and non adjustable and on some small engines. The seat tools are of excellent quality and I have had no problem in many years of use. Look for expanding type guides. They lock in securely and are accurate. Go for Sioux. My two cents worth. Dandy Dave.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 9:06 AM, Owen_Dyneto said:

My setup which I bought used in the 70s from a mechanic servicing marine engines is primarily Black & Decker.  If you can find something like this, snap it up.

B-D seat grinding kit.jpg

Also another name is "Van Dorn" which I believe was bought up by Black & Decker. They are the same except for name plates. So If your looking for valve seat grinding equipment include: Black & Decker, Van Dorn and Sioux

• Thanks 1

Besides finish grinding valve seats, there is also equipment for repairing seats. This is good when there is groves burnt into the seat by a burnt valve. This tool was used in place of counter boring the block or head and installing a new valve seat. Also used in the event the valve guide is slightly off center and the seat needs to be trued.

Valve seat repair.JPG

• Thanks 1

In addition to owning my grandfathers 1936 Buick, I also own some of his other things.  One of them is a set of valve seat lapping tools made by Craftsman.  They include 2 different angles, one for the intake and one for the exhaust and a handle to turn the tool.  Each uses a piece of emery cloth that is clamped to the tool by a nut and sort of spiderweb to make the emery very tight..  There is a set of different diameter valve guide stems, along with a box of new emery cloth.  In that box is a note to use kerosene when lapping the valve seats.  I do not know the age of this Craftsman tool.  

IMG_4094[1].JPG

IMG_4095[1].JPG

• Like 1

I had one of those. Pretty much useless IMHO. not precise enough.  I have an old Black and Dekker outfit. Does what I need, and I can say I've not had a valve job fail yet. And I've done a lot of them over the years.  I think though, given a choice, that the Souix is a little better.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:08 PM, keithb7 said:

I have that set @Tom_S I Did a valve grind with them. Worked for me. Both hardened seats and non hardened. Took a lot of elbow grease but got the job done. 

I have a set of those also, I used them to clean up a burned exhaust valve on a Simplicity walk behind tractor a few months ago. It did take some effort but the seat cleaned up to new and the Simplicity ran much better after the work and a new valve.