The "Victoria Coupe" body style of 1914-1934

alsancle

On 1/1/2024 at 7:19 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Frankly, I always thought calling it a "hat box" was silly. Most hats that needed a place to be carried in the car wouldn't even begin to fit in those compartments!

In later cars when the spare tire started being laid flat on the trunk floor, higher end cars that enclosed it with a round cover, its often known as a 'hat-box'.    1958 Continental trunk compartment (kingoftheroad.net)

Craig

I knew about this car for years and saw it from time to time but, no, I didn't buy it. The guy that did finally buy it started a restoration and then fell upon hard times and sold it as a project but I don't know where it is now.

• 3 months later...

This is cool.

https://www.hemmings.com/listing/1928-stutz-series-bb-142205

This Stutz Vertical Eight Victoria Coupe 1928 is said to have been delivered to a female doctor in Manhattan, New York. The Victoria Coupe Body was only produced in 8 exclusive copies. The car was driven by a driver who transported its owner in the spacious back seat with work chest. Only a small folding extra seat is fitted next to the driver. The Vertical Eight engines was delivered from Duesenberg to Stutz. The model was marketed as secure and safe with the metal strings in glas to make it safer and also very rigid foot boards.
The current Swedish owner bought the car as a renovation project directly from the world-renowned and eccentric AK Miller in October 1990 and exported it home to Sweden/Scandinavia where it still is located. The purchase and collection of the car from the property of AK Miller is documented through both letters and photos. We recommend a buyer to search the internet for Alexander Kennedy Miller. There is a lot of exciting things to read and not least after AK Miller has passed away. He died after falling off a ladder 3 years after our Swedish buyer was allowed to buy this amazing car from him. Usually AK Miller never sold anything, but as soon as a deal was suggested he would often quote an appropriate scripture from the Holy Bible in response. However, our Swedish owner managed to win Miller's trust and became one of the few who managed to buy a car from this recluse. Miller was very thrifty and was seen as both a miserable and poor person on his deprived farm where he lived with his wife in tattered clothes and without proper heat or electricity. But reality would prove otherwise. Miller left about 30 Stutz's as well as a number of Rolls Royces and other exotic cars worth a fortune. Not enough of this. The survivors also had to take care of gold bars hidden in the barn's woodpile corresponding to a value of over 1 million dollars, as well as securities worth $900,000 and silver bars for $75,000 which were found in nooks and crannies on the farm... Today AK Miller's Stutz collection is considered to have represented one of the absolute largest Stutz collections ever and his name is very well known worldwide.

image.jpeg.ef33942fc0ed66deb08e9287b503eaf2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 12:53 PM, pughs said:

1924 Packard Victoria Coupe

Interesting that packard and cadillac went in two different directions 

Cadillac went with something more like an extended 2 seater and it looks like packard more went with a sedan base

Posted (edited)

AJ,

I saw this car in Sweden in December of 1990 shortly after the buyer received it. It was all original and in very good condition. I suggested to the new owner that he NOT restore it but he was set on doing the restoration and was going to do it himself. The car was originally a very nice original factory pale green or tan combination. I can't say I like the current color scheme. It reminds me of the circus colors the previous owner of my Stearns-Knight painted my limousine. Also, the Hemmings description has a few historical inaccuracies. The stories that the owner told me about his A K Miller visit were very interesting (and very bizarre).

Edited by pughs
add info (see edit history)
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

1932 Lincoln KB 5-passenger coupe....

1932 Lincoln.jpg

Now that is an elegant car! It appears to be as spacious as contemporary club sedans.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, keiser31 said:

1932 Lincoln KB 5-passenger coupe....

1932 Lincoln.jpg

I guess I misread the title of this thread by a couple of years. Oops.

• alsancle changed the title to The "Victoria Coupe" body style of 1914-1934
On 5/28/2024 at 7:58 PM, pmhowe said:

Now that is an elegant car! It appears to be as spacious as contemporary club sedans.

You make an astute observation, the victoria/club/5-passenger coupes were proportionally the same as a four door club sedan.  Oddly enough in spite of that, the body makers hadn't yet figured out to integrate a trunk on the club sedans as they did on many 5-passenger coupes.   If the door was slightly shorter on this Lincoln, a rear door would easily have been accommodated to make one elegant club sedan.

• Like 1

To my knowledge Packard never marketed a coupe as a "doctor's coupe" but I wish I had a dollar for every one I've seen for sale online called a doctor's coupe.  Maybe other manufacturers used that term and it simply slid over to Packards and has stuck.

1-26 coupe.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

To my knowledge Packard never marketed a coupe as a "doctor's coupe" but I wish I had a dollar for every one I've seen for sale online called a doctor's coupe.  Maybe other manufacturers used that term and it simply slid over to Packards and has stuck.

1-26 coupe.jpg

I have typically thought of a "Doctor's coupe" as any pre-1930 3 window.  Then after 1930 the nomenclature migrated to "business coupe".

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, twin6 said:

Perhaps in the UK, Packard 3-window business couples were marketed as 'Doctor's Coupes'.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

We were at the Studebaker swap meet in South Bend, IN today, saw this 1925 Studebaker Victoria. The owner drove it to the show, over an hour for the trip.

IMG_3680.jpeg.a1e013da43e4a3cd80a0b8b7dcfe52b3.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Why so quick, are you guys in a hurry or something?

I have been working on and off on a 32 Ford High Boy since Bush 2 was in office, and am finishing up a car that my late friend started when Regan was in office, so 2034 is not that bad.... I don't want to set the expectations' too high.

• Haha 1

Just came across this thread and enjoyed the lively discussion of body style semantics. Surprised there has been no argument about coupes having rear seats! I feel like I frequently see some zealous body style purist on Facebook arguing a coupe can only have 2 seats and any manufacturer trying to tell you otherwise is a liar. 

Here's a few photos of my 1929 Franklin Victoria Brougham 

PXL_20240920_223034937_MP.jpg.3305a9978d27fe5d1aef475e084dabea.jpg

PXL_20240907_232052070_MP.jpg.d0e1c3dd9bb6a2154839eff10eeee3f4.jpg

An interesting note about the Victoria body style- the passenger compartment usually terminates before the rear axle, so nobody is left sitting on top of the axle; a feature soon to be advertised by the Airflows. 

Especially on my Brougham with the non integrated trunk-on-a-platform, the car really looks terrible with no trunk on it, which is why I leave my incorrect, falling apart trunk on the car.

• Like 11

On 9/24/2024 at 9:52 PM, Tph479 said:

1931 Cadillac V8 Victoria Coupe that we are working on. Will probably need help in sourcing some parts. At the current pace, we should be debuting the car sometime around September 2034.

IMG_2191.png

I hope you have the spare tires because they are no longer made by Lester only Firestone.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

23 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I hope you have the spare tires because they are no longer made by Lester only Firestone.

I do have the 2 spare whitewalls that came with the project, but I already have black walls for the car to give it that macho look. I can't locate my list of parts needed, so I'll end up making a new list and probably will be posting in the for sale/ wanted section soon. 

• Thanks 1