Finally got me a 3\4 ton truck

junkyardjeff

I have a 1/2 ton with a rusty frame so I picked up a rolling 3/4 ton frame and was going to build one,on paper it sounded good but reality set in and did not want to do all the work so I bought one that just needs a little tinkering.  I picked up a 89 F 250 that everything works except for the a/c,old age must be setting in since I do not want big projects any more.

20211023_132359.jpg

• Like 13

I had a '66 F250 Camper Special, it was a neat old truck. Nothing starts conversations at a gas stop better than an old truck. Enjoy your new truck, we all know Ford makes the best truck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

Same road. My sights was set on a 58 through 65, and the restore was just a matter of time and money.And then, practicality overruled my tinker gene and I settled for a 95 F250 that needs tinkering with, but is not a frame off restoration.

B1E5317D-DDD3-4810-B177-EEC24824A783.jpeg

Photos usually come to us this way from the land down under. 😉 Keep your top side up and your wheels on the road. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

“ If you rely on your truck for your Livelihood sooner or later your gonna drive a Ford “

I told that to a Ford Dealer many years ago.

I just bought this one owner 1997 F-350

Crew Cab 2WD PSD last week in Kingman

Arizona off Facebook Marketplace 👍

AA482C10-57D2-44C2-AE1F-7C00473234D7.jpeg.4fab6717ded464f2790e3b73c81594e3.jpeg

Bonus was the ZF Five Speed Manual 👍

They are still out there if you look hard enough …. 👀

Jim

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well now, here is a real 3/4 ton (F2 1948), none of your fancy AC soft riding extended cabs for me! :) Been in the family from day one and still have it.

DSCN0494.JPG

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

I just bought this one owner 1997 F-350

Crew Cab 2WD

Isn't that actually 4 wheel drive? I count 4 wheels on the rear axle....😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

“ If you rely on your truck for your Livelihood sooner or later your gonna drive a Ford “

I recently updated my tow rig.

My 95 F350 only had 140K on it and was still in great shape and dependable.

However, when out on the road I would start thinking about the original 140K hoses, u-joints and such 26 year old parts.

I loved that truck but the dealer was quite generous with the trade in value.

The Ram tows much better and it has plenty of doo-das to play with.

Like electric mirrors (and cameras) exhaust brake, Tire monitors.

It was simply time to update.

20200809_141950.jpg

20210807_115836.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SC38dls said:

f f that’s not saying much my 38 Studebaker is going to out last me!! It’s 34 years older than yours. 
dave s 

Well, Dave, if you were 30 years old when your car was new, like I was when I bought my truck, that would make you about 114 now.   What's your secret to longevity?   

Sure hope I can still drive and enjoy my old cars at that age too!  :D  Happy New Year

• Haha 1

My body feels like it’s 114 the way I’ve treated it the last 78 years.  I’ve only had the 38 for five years. Your truck is good looking and being a one owner is cool. Hope you enjoy it for at least another 30+ years. Happy New Year to you too! 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2021 at 1:37 PM, JACK M said:

I would start thinking about the original 140K hoses, u-joints and such 26 year old parts.

Everything I own (daily driver) except for the wife's car has at least 140 K on it. Some at the 250 K mark. I just replace things I worry about. I work with people who drive their diesel Ford trucks on long trips with 300 K miles plus on them! And the '96 Ford diesel does not have the falling apart lifter problem IIRC. No wonder you got a high trade in value. Very desirable truck if it is diesel.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Very desirable truck if it is diesel.

YUP 

Often was asked if I would sell it. Mostly by young guys that thought my price was to high.

I may have done even better if I wanted to sell outright, but the Ram dealer stepped up pretty good.

I suppose the F350 would have lasted me the rest of my days, but the creature comforts don't really compare from 26 years ago to what they are today.

• Like 1

Well I guess it all comes down to what your definition of a work truck is and whether you want to work on it yourself or not 🤨

I decided on the Ford first generation PSD

CC Dually 2WD as my daily tow vehicle

because it gets to job done …. 👍

Dependably

Economically

Reliably

i do most of my own scheduled maintenance & repairs 🧰

Jim

C84BB794-DA94-43BF-AD9F-2DA1A00B1FD9.jpeg.5a0157910eff7f3dd455d1c67699f703.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I prefer Ford trucks due to the load capacity,interior and ride quality. I may be wrong on this, but I don't care. Currently I have a 2003 F150 Harley-D supercharged 2WD. But it's a sissy truck compared to my old F350 diesel. Getting my brother's 2016 Ram Limited Eco-Diesel for towing the boat and long distance hauling. It get's fantastic mileage and has air ride so it comes close to a Ford.

dlnov 092.jpg

• Like 1

I purchased my 2004 Ram 2500 quad cab 5.9 Cummins diesel new. Now nearly 22 years and 253,000 miles later I can vouch for it's rock solid dependability and this truck has not been babied. Never any major repairs to date other than normal stuff; belts, hoses, brakes, u-joints, etc. No rust in the body, no holes in the upholstery, everything still works like it should. Transmission bands were tightened once. I remember looking at the RAM and the F250 Super Duty 6.0L diesel. Glad I went the direction I did given the reputation of the 6.0.

I keep thinking to myself that it's time to replace it, then I think, why? It still runs, drives and tows as good as ever.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, f.f.jones said:

I bought it new in '72!    It will outlast me...

72 F 100   2.JPG

We ( Fire Department ) purchased  1972 3/4 ton Ford for rescue / brush fire operations - great truck ! It was in service up until 10 - 15 years ago when it was retired and sold thru bid( probably had under 15,000 original miles on her ). Current owner freshen it up and used it for his welding equipment. I just love the old trucks, I just recently purchased this old '69 Chevrolet 3/4 ton truck, had to replace the exhaust, tires and the basic tune-up items, I now have a nice, reliable truck to use for my trips down to the Home Improvement Center for my home  projects. 

image.png.36f0b77d4bbfcaac30efe6722839dba6.png

image.png.c3d64e15da974c993370b13875080ba1.png

Edited by STEVE POLLARD (see edit history)
  • Like 1