Anyone know the approximate value of this MG?

Jfoss

Hard to even tell if there is an engine in it or has decent wheels (wire).  Total restoration required, and if the wood in the body tub is bad - oooh/$$$$$.

It'll cost more than it's worth to restore.  Better photos, location, would be helpful but as I see it, what's there is a possible parts donor for another project.

Terry

Lots of T series cars have been like this at one time. I agree the cost of restoration will most likely exceed the potential market price, but isn't that usually the case ? Unfortunately we can't all own Morgan +8's or even +4's. Nothing wrong with a TD or TF, and they are substantially cheaper than Morgan's. Actually better cars in some ways, better frame , better front suspension. Just not quite a good looking. 

TC's, like what I think this one is is are in design a pre war car so no improvement on a Morgan's chassis. As much class as a Morgan , but pretty small power compared to something like a +4 { TR3 or TR4 power }.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jfoss said:

Justjust wondering about  a ballpark estimate on the value of this thing and if anyone was  in purchasing it in the Iowa area 

Far less than you probably think.  

Running?

Complete?

Engine condition (with all ancillaries)?

Rust/wood rot?

Condition of wheels?

Location? [will make a big difference]

Title?

Restoration could easily be more than the value. (almost a certainty)

Good luck (if its yours and/or hoping to flip)

The other thread on this car-->https://forums.aaca.org/topic/368811-what-is-this/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I posted a Davis for sale. It got a price from the group of 14K.. I think it sold for 80k.

You just never know what someone  wants until you post it.. 

Not sure about the cheap - the transportation cost?? Not a big deal.. I just sold two cars. One guy did a 24 hour drive and the other did a 18 hour drive one way..???

If you have want they want it is only time to find the right guy..

7 hours ago, nick8086 said:

I posted a Davis for sale. It got a price from the group of 14K.. I think it sold for 80k.

You just never know what someone  wants until you post it.. 

Not sure about the cheap - the transportation cost?? Not a big deal.. I just sold two cars. One guy did a 24 hour drive and the other did a 18 hour drive one way..???

If you have want they want it is only time to find the right guy..

Nick,  A Davis Divan?    Not the same thing as a MG.   They are unique and unobtainable with zero price points so everybody is guessing.  Although I would give you 14k all day long so I'm not who was telling you that.

The TC is plentiful and there are many available running for 15-50k.   So it is not hard to figure what a disassembled project might be.  Unless this is something more special?

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The more effort the seller takes it from what can be seen in the above photos to a complete, rolling car with all the tires aired up and possibly running, and all the junk cleaned out of it, the more it will be worth, and FAR easier to sell.  There might even be a box or two of parts for it hidden amongst all that mess piled around it!!   

Hard to sell what could potentially be a nice, desirable car from what appears to be a welfare yard.

Craig

When I post a picture on the web, I take the time to put it in an environment that shows off the qualities of the item.

Several photos are taken from different angles without confusing backgrounds.

The title of the post is also considered along with a description and short story about the item.

If the item is not in my possession, at least a better pic. and description would lead to informative answers to my question.

• Like 1

Which may not nec. be a bad thing. Could post 'I am thinking of buying this, what is a value?'

I am a glutton for punishment, I would take this as a challenge. I dont think I would pay more than about $500 though. Try not to spend more than I can afford to lose.

Speaking of Morgan's, theres an episode of Columbo which the antagonist drives a Morgan. Every scene that they get into or out of the car they have trouble getting the doors open and staying closed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Which may not nec. be a bad thing. Could post 'I am thinking of buying this, what is a value?'

I am a glutton for punishment, I would take this as a challenge. I dont think I would pay more than about $500 though. Try not to spend more than I can afford to lose.

Speaking of Morgan's, theres an episode of Columbo which the antagonist drives a Morgan. Every scene that they get into or out of the car they have trouble getting the doors open and staying closed.

As opposed to many here, I don't have a problem with flippers.   Unless they are lazy or not upfront with what is going on.   The previous sentence describes 75% of them so I guess I do have a problem with most flippers.

I don't think you would get it for $500.00. Check out what TC parts are selling for and you will  see that is not a realistic figure. I expect around $3500.00 - $5000.00 as long as it is mostly complete.  

I just paid around $3000 for a pretty similar, barn find MGA and thought it was a  pretty decent purchase. { previous owner paid almost $7,000.00 on E bad about 8 years ago } .

The last project Morgan I encountered was a complete but somewhat rotted / rusty car , sold for $13,000 Canadian . Buyer got a great deal. Any I have seen since have been quite a bit more expensive and restored are not worth much more than a good MGA or T series car.

I follow these a bit and figure $2,500 to $5,000, it will likely find a home with someone where this is not first rodeo, and a TC does bring a premuim over a TD or TF.  Pics obviously could be better but that assumes it is relatively complete and cats need to climb over vs. Through sheetmetal to explore inside, but of course needs everything.

• Like 1

I always figure a TC and a TF are about equal . TD's are the ones that need a discount. I personally like TF's, but the last one I owned was swapped to early MGB engine , trans , rear end back in the later 1960's. It was actually a very nice car and a lot easier to live with than a T series powertrain. Most parts were available off the shelf locally. Long before my ownership, at least they did a very nice swap / conversion. No hack work at all, everything was pro quality . T series parts were hard to find and would need to be ordered from Moss or the U.K. even back then { late 1980's } . I was working as a mechanic in a British car shop and saw first hand the frustration of sourcing XP series engine and gearbox parts.

• Like 1

So, let's hear some more from the OP, and see some better photos with detail.

If you're looking for an accurate response, how about providing some accurate info?

Terry

• Like 4

Well, it seems there are TWO threads going on at the same time. The original (what is it) was moved to the "what is it" forum.  The OP started a new one asking for a value.  As requested, better pics/more info will answer the original question. Then we can play American Pickers...what's it worth/what's the price.

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Well, it seems there are TWO threads going on at the same time. The original (what is it) was moved to the "what is it" forum.  The OP started a new one asking for a value.  As requested, better pics/more info will answer the original question. Then we can play American Pickers...what's it worth/what's the price.

Terry

Terry, Did TC's take a dive in price? There is one on line with FANTASTIC photos for around good Model A Ford Roadster money. 

Bob 

I don't think they have dived, just not gone up at all for about 25 years. Great looking cars . But very slow for todays traffic. A decent MGA will run rings around a TC. And easier to live with in todays British Car parts supply world.  MGA's are also quite a bit bigger inside, fit current sized people better than a TC.  TC's are best if you are less than average height, weight.

MGA's are slowly but steadily going up in price. All of the T series cars are pretty stationary in price, loosing ground compared to inflation.

I am a previous TF owner , but also reasonably tall , just shy of 6'2". The TF was tight and the TC's I have driven in my mechanic days were very tight to the point of being quite uncomfortable. And 50 HP or so just isn't enough. Engine and gearbox parts are hard to find and pricy. Brakes are small and work hard. Also they are all R.H.D. so that puts many people off.  A nice day and a slow country road they are a delight. In town traffic or faster driving their pre war design shows itself pretty quickly.

Bring a Trailer has some great current sale price charts for post war MG's. Probably more data points than you are going to find anywhere else.

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Anyone know the approximate value of this MG?