Auburn mechanic needed in Upstate New York

41 Su8

An acquaintance of mine needs some work done on a  1927 Auburn. He has told me that in needs a rear main bearing seal replaced on the 6 cyl. Continental engine. He also describes to me what seems to be a vapor lock problem.  I have not had the pleasure of seeing the car, I only have knowledge of the problem over the phone.  My knowledge of Auburns is limited.  The car is located in Dutchess County in upstate NY.  If someone has knowledge of this car and engine, feel free to contact me through this forum and I can direct you to the owner.  Thanks in advance,  John Iaccino

Looking at a map, I see you're in an area where

good restorers should be within a reasonable distance.

The wealth of knowledge on this forum should be a big help.

But don't call it "upstate" New York, please, because

people will think of the northern part of the state and

not give you the information you really want.  I think

of "upstate" as the Adirondack Mountains and north;

you're in the far southernmost part of the state, even

farther south than just about any other part of New York.

• Like 1

Most likely the rear main leak isn’t a seal. Many cars had no seal whatsoever back then, others used wood. Most had reverse slingers on the crank and a bell housing scavenger cone to catch the oil and put it back in the pan. I can’t remember what the 8’s used, it’s been 40 years since I had one that far apart. All old cars leak oil, some more than others. What he is worried about may be normal. It’s a can of worms getting opened if you don’t know what your doing. He can probably drop the pan and rear main cap all in place. I would recommend someone with experience on Auburns.........if you ask on the ACD Club site, you may get photos of what it looks like. That’s where I would start.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Looking at a map, I see you're in an area where

good restorers should be within a reasonable distance.

The wealth of knowledge on this forum should be a big help.

But don't call it "upstate" New York, please, because

people will think of the northern part of the state and

not give you the information you really want.  I think

of "upstate" as the Adirondack Mountains and north;

you're in the far southernmost part of the state, even

farther south than just about any other part of New York.

Lived in that area for almost 40 years and still have family there and I can tell you we all called it "Upstate New York"  to distinguish it from that other part below us.

Howard Dennis

• Haha 2

I live in Dutchess County. It is referred to as upstate so no one thinks we are NYC. The differentiation line is the Tappan Zee Bridge. 

I hope you can get it sorted. Auburns are a rare sight here. I've never seen one in county despite living here my entire life. Did drive out to the museum in Indiana in 2003, fantastic cars.

If your friend needs photos taken I gladly volunteer. 

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)

So I guess Miami would be in "upstate Florida!"  😃

Anything north of the Florida Keys would be upstate.

But would southeastern Penna. be too far away?

I know a good pre-war shop there.  And in central

Penna., in the vicinity of Hershey, there are numerous

qualified car restoration shops.  One of them I know

has done several Duesenbergs;  they may know Auburns

as well.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I will let the person know the information and let him decide what to do.  Thanks for the info.    John

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

So I guess Miami would be in "upstate Florida!"  😃

Anything north of the Florida Keys would be upstate.

Wouldn't know, but I also wouldn't tell the residents what to call where they lived until I asked them what locals called it. They live there it's their choice.

Howard Dennis

Our way of life is much closer to the North Country than the city. It's funny, when traveling out of state, they actually do treat you better when you say you are from NY but not NYC... although most people want to visit Manhattan anyway. 

I have worked on a variety of up scale cars. I may look at it if he's not in a big hurry. Can't be any worse than working on a Rolls Royce or a Pierce Arrow. The mechanicals all do the same thing. I have enough on my plate right now that it would not be right away. Dandy Dave! 

Dandy Dave is a great guy and is perfectly capable of properly servicing your Auburn. Just be sure he isn't wearing his speedo when you stop by to check on the car. Yes, we have seen photos. Forturnatly we were not there in person!

• Thanks 1

Ed, I have known Dave for years and yes, I agree about his ability. I just have to get this other guy to contact him.  John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, edinmass said:

Dandy Dave is a great guy and is perfectly capable of properly servicing your Auburn. Just be sure he isn't wearing his speedo when you stop by to check on the car. Yes, we have seen photos. Forturnatly we were not there in person!

Yeah, They don't call me Speedo Dave for nothing. 😉

• Haha 1

I talked to the fellow yesterday. Will get together and assess the car sometime in the near future. He is on the local town board and knows my better other half's dad who is the supervisor. Small world up here in Up State New York. Up State to me is anywhere there are still farms and wide open spaces. I'm on a 300+ acer farm now. One of the few that still milks cows in this county. No milking for me though as the farm is leased. I guess that makes me a gentlemen farmer. I get to sit on the porch and watch all the work being done without all the worries that come with a working farm with a dairy herd. Dandy Dave!

I was doing a little figuring and I could drive to NHL teams in 4 other states and Montreal before I could get to the Sabres from here, in my own state. (Philadelphia, New Jersey, Boston, Washington if you're curious). Even so I love our highway system and am actively exploring more of it. Perhaps people on here would be interested in seeing some of the driving tours I've been doing?

Billy:

If you do take the long trip to Buffalo sometime, plan a visit to the Pierce-Arrow Museum.  Its easy to access and is a fine collection worth your time.   On the way, schedule time for the Northeast Classic Car Museum in Norwich, NY north of Binghamton.   Both are good places to get your adult daily requirement of old cars and their history!

Steve

Also Brockway truck museum, haven't been to this one myself

Museum | Brockway (brockwaytrucks.org)

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added Brockway truck museum note (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I hadn't heard of the Brockway museum, will have to add that to the list! My family has been planning a major car museum adventure, covering the Pierce Arrow museum, the Packard museum, another trip to ACD and first trip to the truck museum next to it, then culmination at Gilmore. Health problems, the cost it's going to be, and the pandemic has pushed it back some... hopefully we can get the family health problems sorted so we can actually do it. The Northeast Classic Car Museum is actually close enough that I can get to it and home in one long day. It's been on my to do list for the past five or more years.

On 7/3/2021 at 4:05 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I live in New York State. That's a 5 hour drive to the southeast for me.

Now Burnie, We call where you live Western New York. That is anywhere past the Catskill Mountains and the land is a lot flatter then here. 😉 

I too was surprised at what 'upstate New York' is. I was doing cabinet work in a hospital in Monticello a few years ago and everyone was calling it upstate.  To me (being from MD) I would consider upstate Albany and north.

4 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I too was surprised at what 'upstate New York' is. I was doing cabinet work in a hospital in Monticello a few years ago and everyone was calling it upstate.  To me (being from MD) I would consider upstate Albany and north.

From the web... Upstate New York - Wikipedia

• Like 1