Well, I guess this is how the ignorant view us...

rocketraider

'Round here they don't put much on the bumpers, but they can't see out the back window for the stickers! I dunno, maybe it's cracked and they're trying to hold it together...

Young males especially seem to be obsessed with that. They'll have their family name, every social media hashtag they use, and obligatory YETI cooler, Salt Life, Carhartt and Superman decals plastered all over their back window- which is usually tinted to less than 20% light transmittance. Car or truck, makes no difference, and it's the same for a shy kid as for an outgoing one.

Oh well, we did stoopit stuff too 😺.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:28 AM, Pfeil said:

I used to live on the Central California coast. There are lots of car people in that area, lots of hot rods, modified cars, in fact a lot more than the stone stock cars we all like here. One day at the weekly Saturday donut gathering a good friend says to me " there is a gay pride cars show down in San Luis Obispo next week and I think you would like it". He said don't worry - just go for the cars. So I went and was I glad I did. There were so many cars you just don't see at your average car show or cruise, and not just early cars but cars of the 60's 70's 80's. When did you last go to to you're average car show and see a line of 225's, Wildcats, Riv's- and Riv Boat Tails, Chrysler Imperials, Newports, Saratoga's. In the Cadillac line one guy brought a trio of 61's,  a Coupe deVille, Convertible and one of those short deck 4 door hardtops ( a easy parking city car as I remember Cadillac saying- I hadn't seen one of those in years. I talked to the guy and asked him where he found his cars. He said he and his partner were interior decorators in  Beverly Hills and they get many of their cars from their clients and by seeing some of these cars in the neighborhoods they work in. These guys had a house in Beverly Hills and Palm Springs and they belong to a Southern Ca. Gay club that meets up with the San Francisco area gay car club every year with the so. cal. in the middle ( the central coast ). It's about a 250 mile drive from L.A. or Frisco to San Luis Obispo and 90+% drive their cars to the show. 

I'm telling you if you are tired of the same old car show and want to see some forgotten types of cars don't miss one of these shows.   

I forgot to mention music. I have been to a few shows that I had to leave early because of the blaring ubiquitous same old Hard Rock music that promoters seem to think everyone likes. This show I mentioned above had music that showcased  the era of the cars and that meant a huge variety of music and it was not blaring you out of the show field. Very refreshing for a change! 

In another thread going on about Sunset Blvd. - When I hear Henry Mancini's " Mr. Lucky" I think of cruising the Sunset Boulevard in a Coupe DeVille or Chrysler 300, or Mark2 Continental . 

• Like 1

When I first got into the hobby around 1960 most of the hobbyists were odd balls across a wide spectrum, but obviously out of sync in character and dress. Being nonconformist and a bit of a cynic at an early age I could identify with the moderates in the hobby. In the mid-1970's, after the Nixon financial upset there was an influx of new members looking for the wise investments in tangible items. That carried its own stigma and always seemed to be  restraining to me. It brought a lot of the dogma to the hobby that I have written about in the past. Too focused and purposeful for me to embrace fully. Sixty years of my personal perception of the hobby makes me smile when I think about it.

I once heard a person use the term "dangerously dogmatic". My immediate thought, as opposed to? Maybe playfully dogmatic. Of course that brings me back to the beginning and that orphan car collector who wore a top hat, Bermuda shorts, and black socks. The one who shuttered and had a facial twitch. Ah, memories of the founders.

Well, time to go out to the garage, where I pursue my questionable habits.

• Haha 2

Well it all boils down to is,

"I don't ( I'll include you all )give a (F) what the hell the ingorant or the entelligensia(spelling?)thinks! 

I think it's silly,absurd and idiotic to fool with this stuff on an any level anyway,so there is no other opinion that can make any difference to me.

It is ,what it is,and to worry about others is a pure waste of time energy and spirit..even for one second.

The only thing the whole old car interest and hobby is good for really ,is to kept one from learning the classical kazoo out of pure boredom.😌

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2021 at 2:46 PM, MikeC5 said:

I was under the impression that if the automobile manufacture date pre-dates the use of _____________ (and it can be proven so), and the owner has legally registered it as such,  can he/she be fined for things that were not required when it was manufactured?  Lot of antiques running out there without catalytic converters or front brakes...  I seem to remember the exception is if you want to have children as passengers, there must be seat belts retrofitted.  The last one makes sense but I would guess it varies from state to state....

That is correct for Alberta. 

The law essentially reads, "If the car did not came with [seat belts/turn signals/heater/(add your own], you are not required to install it."  But if the car did come with turn signals, seat belts, etc., it is unlawful to remove them.

A few years ago, I got pulled over for what I thought was speeding on the Trans-Canada in my 1966 Studebaker.  The younger RCMP officer said, "I pulled you over for not having Daytime Running Lights, but your car's too old!  Have a nice day!"

Craig

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 10:38 AM, rocketraider said:

'Round here they don't put much on the bumpers, but they can't see out the back window for the stickers! I dunno, maybe it's cracked and they're trying to hold it together...

Young males especially seem to be obsessed with that. They'll have their family name, every social media hashtag they use, and obligatory YETI cooler, Salt Life, Carhartt and Superman decals plastered all over their back window- which is usually tinted to less than 20% light transmittance. Car or truck, makes no difference, and it's the same for a shy kid as for an outgoing one.

Oh well, we did stoopit stuff too 😺.

Cant forget the usual handul of gun company stickers and maybe a Punisher comic book skull that are usually interspersed around there too! 

And here i thought i was being a little too ostentatious with a little smokey the bear sticker in the corner of the back window in my C10! 

Screenshot_20210629-104537_Instagram.jpg.a78a3ec63b4ed59094ee3bbd26814e79.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 8E45E said:

The younger RCMP officer said, "I pulled you over for not having Daytime Running Lights, but your car's too old!  Have a nice day!"

Quite a few years ago my brother in law came to me with his '66 Mustang that had failed the state inspection because his marker lamps flashed momentarily then went out when the light switch was turned on. He demonstrated and I asked "What's wrong?"

• Haha 2

On 6/25/2021 at 10:38 AM, rocketraider said:

Young males especially seem to be obsessed with that. They'll have their family name, every social media hashtag they use, and obligatory YETI cooler, Salt Life, Carhartt and Superman decals plastered all over their back window-

How about old males, cruise night are open again. Take a look, old men with the obligatory Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt, cargo shorts, sneakers and support hose. One earring and the little Stevie Seagal pony tail. Think I'm kidding, I dare you to look.

I think the only article of clothing or accessory that has any connection with a personal interest is a '40 Ford t-shirt that say "The 40 is 50" and I quit wearing that after some mathematician asked me how long I had owned it.

My fashion, in such circles, is interest neutral.

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

How about old males, cruise night are open again. Take a look, old men with the obligatory Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt, cargo shorts, sneakers and support hose. One earring and the little Stevie Seagal pony tail. Think I'm kidding, I dare you to look.

Dayam. I guess it's universal! And not only at cruise nights!

I wouldn't leave the house dressed like some of the geezers I run into... though I am known to wear Hawaiian shirts!🦜🐠😃

Some of even have cars on 'em! Good thing Walmart and Ross have 'em, I can't afford vintage Alohas or Kahalas.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I think the only article of clothing or accessory that has any connection with a personal interest is a '40 Ford t-shirt that say "The 40 is 50" and I quit wearing that after some mathematician asked me how long I had owned it.

My fashion, in such circles, is interest neutral.

I have to confess, during the draconian California lockdowns I finally got to the point where I just didn't care either.  I went to the bank in my jammies and slippers.  Absolutely no one cared.

Official Walmartian status acheived.

Unfortunately I’m finding it’s not just people outside the hobby that have a perceived perception of us with original cars. The other day a guy posted on FB he had finally made a deal for a 32’ Olds four door sedan in very good to almost excellent condition. He went on to state that he was pulling the whole drivetrain and going the common LS-1 way. Being pretty knowledgeable in 32’ Olds, I explained to him that his car, even with it being a 4dr, was quite rare and he should reconsider his mods. I also stated it was his car, he could do whatever he wanted, and if he did go that route, he should contact me as the 32’ Olds guys are a small brotherhood with some looking for specific parts and I could find those in need. His reply was he didn’t drive parade cars nor did he hang out with guys who just pull their cars out once or twice a year for the town parade. He said the couldn’t go over 25 nor could they stop. He wanted a car he could drive safely. This is a car guy with a totally wrong perception of other car guys and properly set up original cars. I explained to him that many tour with their original cars and they  move along just fine with stock power and brakes. I politely said he shouldn’t categorize original car guys that way. Well, there was no reply or no apology, he just went on his posts on other people’s comments. That tells me he has no intention of changing his opinion.

And that, friends, is how WE view the ignorant! Hey, it can work two ways...

Like the FantomWorks episode where the overgrown frat boy wanted a 69 Camaro with the underpinnings and all the conveniences of a new one. Short said "you can get a new one at any GM dealer". Nope, he wanted a new car with an old body. They like the style but are ill-equipped to own and maintain old stuff. 

Not the type person I really consider "car people". Poseur maybe, but not "car people".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chistech said:

That tells me he has no intention of changing his opinion.

And are you?   People, all of us, I believe , tend to think our opinion is the only correct one. 

Now, if all the rest of you would think like ME the world would be a better place. 😁

Blonds, brunettes and redheads.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you read my post I told him if he rodded it, the car was his to do what he wanted and I could help him salvage his parts to people in need. Why would you think I have a negative opinion of his likes and only believe in my thinking? While I don’t understand taking a 100% original and complete car apart to basically make it like so many others, I don’t ignore or insult those who do. His comments were basically insults to those who keep their cars, especially pre war cars original. I don’t believe my interaction with him was opinionated nor insulting yet you imply I am. I personally own a resto-modded 83’ chevy blazer mad up from a M1009 military body and chassis I purchased with no motor or fiberglass top. I’m presently helping my brother rebuild a 67’ cutlass into a street/strip car. I’m not prejudiced and appreciate all vehicles.

32 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Not the type person I really consider "car people". Poseur maybe, but not "car people".

I forget which group it was, maybe a classic Buicks one since the person was talking about his new mid '50s Buick acquisition that seemed to be in good shape. Inevitably, he brought up needing to swap over to an Art Morrison frame, LS, tremec, etc. and when questioned why he didnt just get a new car, and that the stock stuff was more than adequate, replied with " i aint no poser!" followed by the too slow, cant steer, etc rhetoric. i couldn't help but think, do they not realize, they are essentially playing car dress up, with a safe new car underneath, with modern steering, modern brakes, new engine and trans, and wearing a 60+yr old costume, so it looks the part? 

I cant say that i am a staunch purist, i've always liked race cars and period correct traditional hot rods and customs, and aside from my close to stock, prewar buick, i have a not so old old, ('84) vehicle with very little original chassis underneath it and alot of other changes, so i get stuff like that to a point. I cant even say i dont like alot of the aftermarket chassis stuff with my varied car hobby interests, but at least dont be so goofy about it and degrade the original equipment as an excuse to pretend you need giant 6 piston brake calipers and a hopped up LS to bring the family out for ice cream cones. a mid 1950s car, maybe with a few period correct speed parts is infinitely more times interesting and cooler to me than a big billet, LS restomod, etc. car. 

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

As a Model A owner, I get the "it's your car" thing.  I personally like original cars, restorations both driver and fine point, and traditional hot rods using an A as the base.  I don't get some choices people make but, the Model A is not exactly rare.

The guy who is planning to rod the Olds is a fool.  He is taking a relatively rare car, and destroying it.  His right or not, cheering that on makes no sense to me.  I guarantee the outcome:

A rare original car is lost. That is a 100% certainty.

Sure sounds like he can't be bothered to sell off parts to people who can use them.  So he either has money to burn, or is not too bright.  Or, he gets a thrill out of giving folks like Chistech attitude.  He certainly disregards the idea of helping someone else preserve a historic vehicle.  So unlike some of these guys, his choice won't help anyone in the restoration community.  Compounding the loss.

Last, I would put the odds of him finishing his hot rod at 15%, with an 85% chance the dissasembled, bastardized bucket of bolts ends up for sale in five years. Everyone loses including him.

Maybe he is not a criminal but I think I will pass on calling him a kindred spirit.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I went to the bank in my jammies and slippers.  Absolutely no one cared.

That's different from my thoughts about the associative identity of the attire and accessories. Many years ago a friend of mine used a term, French I think, that translated to "Making a parade of oneself". I always remembered that and as I aged and observed the more neutral I became.

It was those 1950's and '60's old car guys who led the way. One could spot something different about them from half a block away. It's funny about stereotypes. I have told my wife that basically grew up without hero's or mentors. I have to admit that today I am the culmination of all those I did not want to be like. Especially the ones you could spot half a block away. And many other traits that did not fit me like a well worn flannel shirt.

Couple years back I had a conversation with a young friend who had just got hold of a fairly nice, numbers matching, and reasonably unmolested 1972 Z/28.

This kid has his parents' 65 Impala, restored correctly except for replacing its Powerglide with a Turbo 350, and has always made big noise about that car being done right.

So no wonder my jaw dropped when he started prattling about LS swap, all modern suspension, on and on. I said you have a good car here, a good start and valuable as unlike vast majority of Camaros it hasn't been messed with.

He says "nobody wants that stuff anymore, they want a car they can just get in and drive".

And that's when I dropped the bomb, asking who are you building this car for, yourself or somebody who has absolutely no concept of what owning an old car is about? Sell it to somebody who "gets" the car instead of following the auction- and tv-driven herd.

After a minute or so all he said was "man, you're rough".

To date, that Z/28 is still intact. I really hope it stays that way.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Couple years back I had a conversation with a young friend who had just got hold of a fairly nice, numbers matching, and reasonably unmolested 1972 Z/28.

This kid has his parents' 65 Impala, restored correctly except for replacing its Powerglide with a Turbo 350, and has always made big noise about that car being done right.

So no wonder my jaw dropped when he started prattling about LS swap, all modern suspension, on and on. I said you have a good car here, a good start and valuable as unlike vast majority of Camaros it hasn't been messed with.

He says "nobody wants that stuff anymore, they want a car they can just get in and drive".

And that's when I dropped the bomb, asking who are you building this car for, yourself or somebody who has absolutely no concept of what owning an old car is about? Sell it to somebody who "gets" the car instead of following the auction- and tv-driven herd.

After a minute or so all he said was "man, you're rough".

To date, that Z/28 is still intact. I really hope it stays that way.

An afternoon diving deeper than circus auctions and usual tv shows would do him a world of good. You may have planted a seed.  🤞

Not sure how, at 16 my old Camaro actually ran reliably, at highway speeds even, and could stop.  Heck it even had tunes but somehow I survived without 60 speakers and ice cold AC. 🤔🙄

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

That's different from my thoughts about the associative identity of the attire and accessories. Many years ago a friend of mine used a term, French I think, that translated to "Making a parade of oneself". I always remembered that and as I aged and observed the more neutral I became.

In my defense, ...they were pretty nice jammies.  

When i was 20 or so i took a very nice 54 ford victoria and nosed and decked it, as was the custom, and shoe horned a 56 buick 322 into it.

It was a bastardized POS.

Just last sunday i was at a local show and saw a very nicely restored 54 victoria.

What a complete and utter fool i was........bob

On 6/29/2021 at 5:54 PM, Billy Kingsley said:

There's a car show at a nudist colony here. I haven't and don't plan to attend. 

I would guess that show is restricted to Drop Tops only? And fender skirts frowned upon? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Having a post WWII 4 door, like many of the cars in Walmart's parking lot, the sides of my car are always nicely polished at car shows.

But when I take pictures she asks why I keep having her move to the right then left so many times.

Bored.jpg.e9c08847f0abd9ac1aac30c677d8ca85.jpg