Willys CJ3B Jeep Rescue.

Dandy Dave

I first saw this old Jeep 47 years ago when it was still in a barn. Being the barn fell down around it and the Jeep remained in the same spot, I guess that makes it a genuine barn find. I drove by it often and the back of it could be seen from the road if one knew just where to look. The land it was on was an abandoned hunting camp that no one had been at in quite a few years. So, To find out who owned the property I did a tax map search for the county it was in and came up with a name and then a phone number. I called it and several weeks later got a call back and arranged to meet with the owner. Of course a deal was struck and it is now on the home front. I have always had a soft spot for these old Flat Fender Jeeps.

Oh the shingles and disintegrated wood chips I picked out of it and shoveled into the dumpster. It is a 1957 Willys CJ3B. Now the question I ask myself, To restore it? Or to part it out? On the farm here we could use a gator type vehicle. And considering the price of one I could easily dump a lot of money in this old Jeep and have something that is functional and fun. Complete Body Kits are available and giving the price these old war horses are bringing these days it would not be unreasonable to bring it back to life. Anyway, enjoy the photos folks while I ponder what to do.    

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

• Like 1

Here's a few after I retrieved it with a roll off truck and cleaned a lot of barn debris out of it. Yeah it's Ugly. Did I mention that ugly ones are my specialty? 🤪 I was surprised to see that the chassis was not that bad as I thought it was going to break in half when I pulled it out. Happy to see most of the goodies are there. And what isn't, is available. Dandy Dave!  

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

• Like 2

Still chained up to go anywhere.

Looking at those pictures, I could actually smell the decades old grease, oil, gas and such. I bought a ‘66 30 years ago that was broken in half and restored it. It’s tagged as a ‘70 because the firewall I replaced had a ‘70 vin tag on it. 

I still have it. Great fun.

• Like 1

Courage, optimism and ?  We all have our "projects".  How much time do you have? (years?) Will the time that you spend restoring it ( resurrecting it) be equal to the satisfaction you get driving it down the road? Think about the $ needed ( not including your time and effort) and would something else in  a little more solid condition wise be a better effort? Just asking.

This is a "sanity time" project. 

I had a similar condition CJ5 with all the rust and battle scars from plowing snow and rolling over out in the woods.

You can not mess up on a project like these.  $ wise it is a lot less than a $hrink.

• Like 2

If the foundation is solid the rest can be rebuilt ....and whole lotta fun to drive. I had a '60 Willys back in '80, it was geared low with the F4-134...45 mph downhill with a tail wind. BUT, would climb a wall in low range ....so much fun.  Kaiser Willys is gonna love you  if you choose to get it rollin'.

On 4/18/2021 at 11:02 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

Looks like it was set up for some snow removal.  That will be a fun when it's done.  Be the way, what's the story on the black Ford Falcon in the foreground Dave? :D

Not sure about the Falcon? I'd have to ask Don as it is beyond the body shop and has been there for years. You interested? 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

On 4/18/2021 at 11:48 AM, Walt G said:

Courage, optimism and ?  We all have our "projects".  How much time do you have? (years?) Will the time that you spend restoring it ( resurrecting it) be equal to the satisfaction you get driving it down the road? Think about the $ needed ( not including your time and effort) and would something else in  a little more solid condition wise be a better effort? Just asking.

LOL Yeah. That. "?" That is always the Question. I have the means, I have the knowledge. I'll have fun doing it. I'll prove it can be done. And I'll save another one from the crusher. I could take up Golf. Spend money on equipment. Spend time trying to get the ball to go where I want it to go. (Oh the level of frustration.) Loose my balls in the woods and swamp holes. And then the bill at the 19th hole.... Me thinks all of it is better spent on this old Jeep. Dandy Dave!   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Dave, not a criticism of your effort or desire. I admire the patience it will take and the time, as well as skill . I have had a good number of similar situations with things that needed a restoration but on a much lesser scale so far as size. Kept saying "never again" or "why did I start this" until the next project  came along but am now at an age where time stares me in the face in the mirror and says "are you sure?". Best of luck on your project.

Walt

• Like 1

I once had a '42 MB that had been used for dragging logs out of a swamp. Dad and I used it for the same job for a while. It worked well. Then I decided to restore it.Big mistake in this case. The frame was as bad as the body. It was parted out. Best part was the military rebuilt engine. Best of luck with the CJ3B. Keep us posted.

JIm

1942 Willy's Jeep (my first).jpg

52 minutes ago, padgett said:

Am curious about the grille. Thought real Jeeps (Eugene) had seven slots. Is a mythconception ?

The early Military WWII ones had 9. The CJ2A started with 7 after the war. CJ stands for Civilian Jeep. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 4:28 PM, Dandy Dave said:

The early Military WWII ones had 9. The CJ2A started with 7 after the war. CJ stands for Civilian Jeep. Dandy Dave! 

Bill Mauldin and my Dad were in the Italian Theater during the war. You know, the "soft underbelly of Europe" that was supposed to be a cakewalk. Here's one of the Bill Mauldin Jeep drawings:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3UJJ0G0vJzeKDAEjwiiz...

big-8x10-print-bill-mauldin-willie_1_69ab3fb8fd2bce954f4d27a5e9a03056.jpg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

15 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Bill Mauldin and my Dad were in the Italian Theater during the war. You know, the "soft underbelly of Europe" that was supposed to be a cakewalk. Here's one of the Bill Mauldin Jeep drawings:Bill Mauldin's Willys Cartoons | eWillys

Say Jeff A, Your link came up with an error. Dandy Dave.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:20 AM, Walt G said:

Thanks Dave, not a criticism of your effort or desire. I admire the patience it will take and the time, as well as skill . I have had a good number of similar situations with things that needed a restoration but on a much lesser scale so far as size. Kept saying "never again" or "why did I start this" until the next project  came along but am now at an age where time stares me in the face in the mirror and says "are you sure?". Best of luck on your project.

Walt

I did not take it as criticism Walt so not to worry. I usually am off rescuing 12 ton Road Graders, old Bulldozers, Power Shovels and other things that weigh up to 40 tons. Getting kind of old and worn out to wrestle that kind of weight. The Doc says my joints are worn and I'm loaded with arthritis. This little Jeep is a small job compared to what I have been doing. Dandy Dave.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 6:54 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

I could be. When ever you get time maybe you can PM me pictures and specifics. Thanks Dave.

Don said the car is stored there by a fellow who is keeping it for parts. So, its not available. Dandy Dave! 

Hello Dave, I re-posted my picture of a World War Two Jeep in my post from 3 weeks ago successfully. My Dad spent a lot of time in those Jeeps in 1943, 1944, 1945, and 1946. Enough time to become fluent in Italian and German!

Also, I wanted to add that the Italian Campaign I mentioned would have been a pushover, except for the 20 German divisions there until VE Day.

• Like 1

That is amazing, considering the stress of finding out who owned the property. My best advice is that you should restore the Jeep, yes it will cost you quite the dollars, the Jeep can serve you at the farm, unless you want to get a vehicle for the farm use.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I bought this 1942 Ford GPW in many pieces for $200.00. Assembled it, drove it to California and sold it for $400.00....

Picture 999.jpg

Picture 1001.jpg

You sold it too soon and too cheep John. 😉 Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 11:26 AM, Tate said:

I love flatfender jeeps, usually I prefer that people keep the original body when they restore them but I really wouldn’t blame you if you replaced that tub. What engine is in it? F134? 

Yes. A 134 Hurricane. The CJ3B's had the higher hood to make room for the overhead valve cover.

19 hours ago, TAKerry said:

51191942133_6fe384436e_k.jpg2021-05-20_01-11-12 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr51191727216_2f26425cef_k.jpg2021-05-20_01-11-01 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Dave, The eagle has landed!  Made the pickup about an hour ago.

Nice! Will PM or call you on arranging to pick it up. These things just seem to find me and follow me home. Thanks, Dandy Dave!