Overseas payment

nickelroadster

How does one go about selling something to someone overseas.  What do you do to get paid if I don't do paypal?  It is a small item that will only cost $25.  If I don't get paid it would be aggravating but not exactly a catastrophre.  Still I would like to have a reasonable chance of getting paid.

how does one go about selling something

Depends on where overseas - that's pretty big territory.  I buy from overseas regularly, don't sell, but you should certainly look into Paypal for the convenience and the protections it provides. 

Terry

• Like 3

I have used PayPal and wire transfers for larger items. If you use PayPal make sure you clearly state the amount you expect to receive. Make the buyer responsible for determining the applicable fees. PayPal has all kind of fees especially when there is exchange rates involved. Never had an issue when I was specific about the expected amount to be received. Don’t ship until it’s in your account. Cash is risky today! Especially with the USPS delivery issues.

3 hours ago, nickelroadster said:

How does one go about selling something to someone overseas.  What do you do to get paid if I don't do paypal?  It is a small item that will only cost $25.  If I don't get paid it would be aggravating but not exactly a catastrophre.  Still I would like to have a reasonable chance of getting paid.

how does one go about selling something

Be sure to get the address and take the package to the post office and get a correct postage rate, then add that to the sale price. No big deal it is done every day with PayPal. Bob 

I have bought plenty of stuff using paypal, never been an issue. Most sellers want 3 percent added to take care of the paypal fees, some want packaging on top of the item price and I always end up paying the postage or fedex charges.

For your peace of mind insist on the buyer sending you the paypal fee as a purchase, not as family and friends.

I know a lot of folks on here don't like using Pay pal and I'm sure they have their reasons. I have used Pay pal for many years using sometime very large sums of money. I only had one experience where I didn't receive my money . I logged on and the money was immediately covered by Pay pal. I can only say good things about their services. I'm sure some aren't so lucky. Good luck however you choose to go.

• Like 1

I've been using paypal for the opposite problem,  buying stuff in Europe to send back to America.   For larger stuff I've done a wire but you need to trust the seller.

As for getting screwed,  you can usually get a feel for the situation and compute your "I'm gonna get screwed probability" accordingly.

EDIT:  The wire comment doesn't apply here because the fee is more than your part.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

3 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Nobody is ever going to do that

Really comes down to the country as much as anything 

I meant it as levity.

But since we are now serious, If someone overseas wants a part I have that they want from me in USA half way around the world for 25 bucks...it must be the rarest tidbit in the world, ha?

I wouldn't sell it for 25 bucks. And if it WAS a 25 piece and a fellow enthusiast wanted it, I would send it off instead of making a perplexing week/month ordeal over it.

Just my thoughts, try and have a great day!

I have sold all over the world for sixty years.  I have never had a problem with cheques.  These days I like PayPal but accept a cheque and have always received my money promptly.

The one interesting story is about some literature that I sold to a museum in England.  According to the purchaser who used the Bank of Scotland he would be charged 20 pounds sterling plus the normal money order fee.  I suggested that he just send me a cheque and mark it Cdn $.  The cheque arrived and I deposited it with no charge.  He found that interesting because sellers told him no US bank would accept a cheque like that.  Some years later I accepted a large cheque from him, deposited it and got a US money order from my bank (drawn on their North Dakota Branch) and forwarded to the US seller.  Cost me nothing except a stamp and saved both the Buyer and seller fees at their local banks.

10 minutes ago, nickelroadster said:

It is an item that I would be sending to Switzerland.  He has asked me if my bank account has a ican number.  I guess I will ask my bank.  Twenty five dollars is hardly worth joining paypal.

I needed to open a bank account at a specific COMMERCIAL bank so I would have an SWIFT number which might be similar.  This is because I work part time for a foreign company and they could do wire transfers from the home office.  From our experience, credit unions do not have a SWIFT number. 

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

I needed to open a bank account at a specific COMMERCIAL bank so I would have an SWIFT number which might be similar.  This is because I work part time for a foreign company and they could do wire transfers from the home office.  From our experience, credit unions do not have a SWIFT number. 

I have accounts with a couple of large and small banks (including a credit union) here and checked this afternoon and all of them provide swift codes and provide fee free international transfers 

I have found on a number of occasions the US banks lag what’s offered elsewhere 

Edited by hidden_hunter (see edit history)