3.00 tune up

broker-len

Great stuff I’m sure!  I really enjoy these old miracle cures in a can or bottle ads.  Thanks for sharing.  I was thinking these old ads would make for an interesting thread to post here.

Just like JB Weld..............takes anything broken, and makes it worse.........and probably not fixiable in the future.

8 hours ago, capngrog said:

What about STP?    I was always a bit leery of that stuff, but a lot of folks swore by it.  I understand that it had a lot of wax in it.  Is that true?

Cheers,

Grog

Back in the '70s a fiend used STP to stop oil loss in a very worn out engine. It not only stopped the oil loss, it also stopped the oil flow because he used too much and thickened the oil to mayonnaise consistency.

Paul   

I was always told STP worked well in an engine that never got cold, such as a taxicab or cop car. For engines that cycled, no. Never seen it but been told the stuff would crystallize in "normal service" engines. That may have been the paraffin/wax mentioned above.

Forgot about GM EOS. I've used that, mainly as an assembly lube. DK if they even have it anymore.

OMC Engine Tuner.

I was a naysayer before I found that stuff.

There used to be a used car dealer in town that I put onto this and he would order cases of it from me.

Drown the carburetor of a hot engine until it dies and let it sit over night.

When the smoke clears in the morning it was like getting a new car.

Or boat in my case.

Bombardier still sells it.

A funny but true story about STP. Awhile back a guy at work s wife called him during his 9.00 o clock break and said her car was making a ticking noise so he told her to add a can of STP.At lunch time he called her back to see how it was going. She said she was still adding it and it was taking forever. It turned out that she was trying to put in in through the dipstick tube,women! Another woman at work said her car over heater so she added some water,in the crankcase!Her boss towed it home and drained it out.And she worked for NASA. Along with the female quality inspector who was concerned about electrical sparks coming from a pneumatic drill.When we tried to explain that it ran off of an air hose she said"well the electricity has to get to the drill from somewhere". I've got more but I'm getting off the subject.Sorry if I offended any women.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, padgett said:

And then there was the GM whale oil supplement.

After whaling became verboten and could no longer be put in AT fluids, burnt trans fluid didn't stink quite as bad, but transmissions designed to use whale oil fluid sometimes didn't work quite as well. Rumour is modern Japanese AT fluid has a "secret ingredient". Wonder what?🤔

Hoo boy. We had a lady engineering intern at the plant, who was engaged to another engineer. The bf decided to change oil in her Honda and drained the transmission fluid. Then added fresh oil to the crankcase! The Honda made strange engine noises and wouldn't move. Engineering supervisor told the boy his parents wasted their money sending him to UNC-Charlotte, which is supposed to be the UNC system's flagship engineering school.

Big powerplants run their generators in hydrogen gas to reduce windage heating. We were in the middle of a maintenance shutdown in which we were repiping the generator H2 gas supply. We had everything tagged out, vented and inert purged, and signed off safe to work.

Until a young pipefitter was looking for a compressed air source for his grinder... we got a call that there was blue fire coming out that grinder's exhaust. I got sent to check it and I about shit when I saw they had removed a pipe cap on a supply side H2 piping test port and installed a compressed air fitting on it, and were running that grinder on 90psi of pure hydrogen gas.

I think that was the scaredest I ever was in 37 years operating that powerplant. Not too keen on H-bombs.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JACK M said:

OMC Engine Tuner.

Sounds like GM top engine cleaner.

12 hours ago, padgett said:

And then there was the GM whale oil supplement.

AKA Positraction Additive into the late 70s. Never used sperm whale oil in engines.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:29 PM, capngrog said:

What about STP? 

I've used a lot of STP as engine assembly lube before I found actual engine assembly lube. 😉

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

Just like JB Weld

Being an engineer , not like those mentioned above 😉, I did an experiment with epoxy  on a 64 Chevy 230 six that had a blown head gasket between cylinders 2 and 3. Ran so long it burned through the head and block. Just scrap metal. So, I took the Devcon Plastic Steel and mixed some up, filled the holes, filed it smooth and bolted it together. It ran 3000 miles before it burned through! Then, this was early 80s and Cadillac came out with the 4-6-8 by picking up the valve rocker fulcrum, I simply removed the push rods on cylinders 2 and 3 and drove it as a 4 banger for another few thousand miles. Yep, really slow and unbalanced.  Fun to tell people I was driving a 4 cylinder Biscayne.  What? They made those? 🤔 Got a scrap 230, re-ringed it and sold it for $100 as a get to work car.

• Haha 2

I was employed by a major Defense contractor for 35 years. Was sent on an interview trip once. Asked a fledgling EE grad if he knew how to fix a TV (last millenia). Was told not to do that.

I had a gas powered Club Car golf cart as a utility vehicle.  Compression got down from 100 to PSI to 70.

I put some "Restore" in and compression went up to 90 PSI.  Science was amazed!