More cars from where my 1936 Chrysler Airstream convertible came from

Professor

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

I always wanted a Davis but whenever I mention it my friends yell at me.

ASSXXXE!

8 hours ago, Joe West said:

By the way... does anyone know why I have a post limit and what the post limit is?

The limit on pictures is not based on number of images, but rather the total of the file sizes of the the images you upload. The 'max file size' figure is shown in the posting screen on the line below where it says "Drag files here to attach...'. I'd quote it but as an admin my limit is not the same as yours.

As to why there is a post limit, it has to do with the size of the database and the speed of post loading for people with slower connections.

I'll fix your sideways images in a few moments...

After downloading and rotating your few sideways images, I see they're uncompressed JPGs. By compressing them at a moderate 70% level, the file sizes were reduced significantly, anywhere from 35 to 50% and the image quality is not visually diminished at all. There are lots of related benefits to appying JPG compression to images being uploaded.

53 minutes ago, gwells said:

The limit on pictures is not based on number of images, but rather the total of the file sizes of the the images you upload. The 'max file size' figure is shown in the posting screen on the line below where it says "Drag files here to attach...'. I'd quote it but as an admin my limit is not the same as yours.

As to why there is a post limit, it has to do with the size of the database and the speed of post loading for people with slower connections.

There is actually a limit on the number of times I can post anything per day. I get an error to the effect of “you have reached your post limit for today” and I cannot reply to or start a thread. Not sure why.

All... just a reminder. I gave the 92-year old owner and his family the link to this thread so please be considerate and give the benefit of the doubt as to how these cars came to be as they sit. I have known the owner and his wife for six years, and he is the kindest, hardest-working man I know... and I am not exaggerating.

As someone said... life happens.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Joe West said:

There is actually a limit on the number of times I can post anything per day. I get an error to the effect of “you have reached your post limit for today” and I cannot reply to or start a thread. Not sure why.

Could be. That's one of the configuration variables in the settings for this forum software package. I am unable to tell you what that limit it, as I don't have access to the settings panel. On my own forum, I limit how many posts per day a new member can make until he has made so many total posts as an anti-spam technique. I do note you've made only 40 posts here so far, maybe the limit removal trigger here is set higher than that and may eventually go away for you.

But that different from the limit on the number of images in a single post, which is based on the total of the file sizes of the uploaded images.

14 minutes ago, Joe West said:

All... just a reminder. I gave the 92-year old owner and his family the link to this thread so please be considerate and give the benefit of the doubt as to how these cars came to be as they sit. I have known the owner and his wife for six years, and he is the kindest, hardest-working man I know... and I am not exaggerating.

As someone said... life happens.

Very true. Life gets in the way of everything.

• Like 2

Some nice cars (or used to be) but the only ones that might pique my interest are the '38 Dodge pickup and the '41(?) Cadillac convertible. They both look like they need only maintenance and a good cleaning. 

But I'm not in the market anyway.

Y'know, Joe, if I wasn't so far away, I would just love to come over there early one morning, pump up all those flat tires and spend the whole day giving every one of those great old cars a good hand wash from top to bottom.

Greg

Joe West,

I am sorry that some on the forum proved to be out of line picking on the storage situation. The owners obviously started out with very good intentions. I sent a personal message,  it was not certain that you received it. I am interested in the Dodge truck. Joe Goss life AACA member and owner of Woodgrain by Estes.

2 hours ago, George Albright said:

I’d like to offer $7,000 for the Davis as it sits. Thanks George Albright,Ocala Florida cell 352 843 1624. Email gnalbright@gmail.com. More pictures of it will be helpful by text or email. Thanks 

Hi George,

I spoke with the owner, and the Davis is the only car not for sale; his wife adores that car so it stays.  

An additional note to others watching this thread: I will not be involved in selling these cars, only in posting up pictures you want to see.  If, after seeing the images, you want to PM me and let me know what it is worth to you, I will pass this along to the owner along with your phone number.  I don’t want to waste the owners time if someone makes a crazy offer like $1,050 for the 49 Chevrolet convertible deluxe with 500 miles on it. 

This said, if you want pictures of a particular vehicle, I will be heading out early tomorrow to take more pictures to post.  Please PM me if you want images of a particular car.  Right now, I will be taking images of the Dodge Brothers pickup, the Jewel, the 1962 and 1963 Cadillac convertibles.  I will take pictures of the Davis and post them as well.

Best,

Joe

Could you add the Bentley to your list please? If you can pass the owners contact info along, please do as I like dealing directly with the owners directly. I hope if I were able to finalize a transaction you would accept a finders fee for your efforts. If we vacation up that way, are you allowed to bring along visitor to view the cars first hand? Thanx for any help you can provide. Pix, condition, price and tech info on Bentley please.

Joe, what a wonderful collection and you were very fortunate to get ahold of that beautiful Chrysler. I have seen so many times collections like this and so many people critique them. Whomever bought these cars did what they thought was  the best to do with them at the time. Regardless of how it turned out they are still his cars and it is what it is. For the car collector world it is fortunate that he is willing to part with them, I have seen the opposite as well. Again, its the owners right to do what they want. Now if I only had an extra bucket load of money sitting around...

Good morning all.  I will be headed out shortly to take some pictures.  I suspect my post limitation will prohibit me from posting all of the pictures, but I will at least get a good start on it.  If I cannot post all the pictures, would someone here be willing to post them when I run out of posts?  If so... indicate you are willing to post the images for me and shoot me your email address via PM and I will send you a link to download the images so you can post them.  I apologize for the inconvenience.

One final request.  It appears that the brace that runs from the rear of the engine block to the transmission is missing on the driver’s side.  I have uploaded an image of the passenger side brace that is still there, and one of the driver’s side where the brace is missing.

Does anyone have something like this in their parts stash that they would be willing to sell?

Thanks so much everyone.

E567297B-89A1-4A3B-8A6B-217828DCB461.jpeg

6D96903D-3415-41E1-8AF1-933FCB249D68.jpeg

That Dodge truck does look like a fun solid project.  Like with your Chrysler,  looks like it will need some serious reconditioning but a very worthy one to get up and going just like it is. 

I agree the Keiser does look to be in very good shape as well.  

How does one go about inquiring into something like the Dodge truck?

All. Because the owner is 92, and because I do not want him to be bothered with lowball offers, please pm me the estimate of the value of the vehicle you are interested in and if it passes my sanity check, I will put you in touch with him directly to work out the details. 

now... with respect to all of the vehicles I looked at today, I saw no appreciable rust anywhere except on the right rear bumper Corner of the yellow Chevrolet convertible. The bumper in my opinion, is not restorable. 

I will post more images tonight if I have posts remaining. 

oh... and for the record, the Dodge truck was my second choice vehicle after the chrysler. It is an amazing vehicle in my opinion. 

Joe