1924 ELCAR 8-80 for sale

I just looked up Elcar in Kimes and Clark's Standard Catalog of American Cars, and according to that, the 8-cylinder Elcar didn't come out until 1925.  65 h.p. Lycoming eight; 127" wheelbase. Quite an intriguing car! Apparently, headlights and tail lights are missing, as is the spare tire. Elcar was made in Elkhart, Indiana from 1916-1931. All information from the above-referenced book. That rebuilt straight eight has to be worth a large part of the asking price. Man, if I had the space....!!!

Pete Phillips

Leonard, TX.

1 hour ago, Pete Phillips said:

Apparently, headlights and tail lights are missing, as is the spare tire. 

Pete Phillips

Leonard, TX.

Hang on a second, Pete. If what I see is what I suspect sitting up just about the middle shelf you see against the wall above the exhaust end of the car, we have headlights ! Nickel plating, from the little I see, looks extremely good. In order to support my theory, I went searching for evidence. Down below, under CLASSIC CAR CLUB OF AMERICA, the first category is CCCA - General. There you will find an Elcar topic. I looked at all the pictures. What is on the shelf is consistent with 1924-'25 Elcar headlights.Size is just right, too. It would be normal to strip all "Jewelry" off a project car at this stage. If in the unlikely event that this is a "what you see is what you get" ad, I would be willing to wager some small token amount the headlights are included. Since there is situational evidence leading one to believe that other "goodies" are in "protective custody", I'll put my money on their existence. Super solid appearing, big, powerful, apparently rust free mid '20s coupe, looking for love. I just don't have enough experience to say whether the seat bottom is original. If so, the car has very few miles. Enough of my own assumptions for now,    -   C Carl 

• Like 1

I’m with Carl, looks like the headlights are on the shelf. With the 8 Lycoming engine it would also make a great driving car, and the coupe has a great proportion with some appeal. The only thing I think looks odd is that hood to radiator shape transition is a bit clunky...

At 15 Canadian its only $10,500 US. I bet you would find plenty of room to make a great looking driver without being horribly up-side-down, especially if you are looking to retain what originality is there.

It's not the correct hood...........think about it ............ a very rare, unusual, and decent body style......and a car thats at least a semi decent driving platform...........for 10k US. If you like the unusual and obscure and are looking for a realistic project, this is a great opportunity for the right person. 

• Like 3

This car reminded of the car I use to have.  A 1925-26 era Stearns Knight rumble seat coupe, aluminum body.  I sold it to a person ,I think, in California back in the 1980s.. He said he was going to put it in line to be restored.. Wish I had a picture of it when I owned it.. I got the car in Mitchell South Dakota..  Needed a complete restoration but rare.  I might have some old paper work of when I sold it.. I'll look for it..   I sure would like to get this El Car but I'm just too old now to even think about doing something with it..  Love the old 1920s era cars..  

Edited by Frank Wilkie
sold my car (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

I just heard from the owner, the Elcar is sold.

At that price.......it should have lasted only a few hours.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I get it is rare and pretty cool,  but it is a partially completed project.   You have told me numerous times that is the hardest thing in the world to sell and generally sell for cents on the dollar.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Yes, but the covid19 and slowa$$ Canadians who need a slap to wake up to a good deal made it last almost a day

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I get it is rare and pretty cool,  but it is a partially completed project.   You have told me numerous times that is the hardest thing in the world to sell and generally sell for cents on the dollar.

Yes.......and it did. Bet it went home to where it was built.............usually weird stuff like that goes to local collectors and historians.

1 hour ago, old car fan said:

Good thing it sold,otherwise be in Ohio.Hood is correct.Was worried about getting it to the states with the virus.

Correct.....I see it better now........at first to my old eyes it looked like the belt line was much wider.......sort of a photo angle illusion. 👍

This car for me checks all the boxes for an everyman’s collector car. Obscure, coupe, decent power plant, and with a few unseen trick updates, it could be made to really preform well. Not too much chrome to bankrupt you during the restoration, engine that if you are skilled is not crazy expensive to do it correctly. Hope it goes to a good home where it will be done correctly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

If I had the money? I would have wanted to jump on that!

I certainly hope it is going to a good home that will treat it very well.

Timing is everything, and I fully agree that it would be mine if timing was different...

13 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Wayne, if you (or I) had the $$$ we would both need a warehouse for all the cars we love😀😀😀!

Don't I KNOW it!!!

I have never been the type to be given to "envy". But if there is anyone in this world I might envy, it would be a long-time good friend of mine. Or Jay Leno. Jay Leno has a lot of "cars" (?) I would not have, no matter how much money would magically appear in my bank account. My friend? He and his Dad worked for what they have. They earned it. I have known them from before they could really afford serious high end collector cars. I enjoy seeing their collection, have ridden in quite a few of their cars, and even driven a few (I generally don't like driving other people's cars, and have actually turned down opportunities to drive a few incredible cars!). I have driven a couple of their cars because they were sorting them and wanted another driver's opinions!

He and I have had several discussions on the subject of how many cars is enough? I won't say how many they do have (I actually don't know the full count anymore?). But he told me once that ten well chosen cars should be enough (There are a few times more than that of prewar cars alone).  IF I had the kind of money? I would have probably between twenty and thirty antique automobiles. Before the hits I got in the past fifteen years? I was trying for six or seven cars to cover most of the eras and tours I would really like.  At least three of them would be model T Fords.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the original headlamps and headlamp bar to this 1924 Elcar and would like to reunite them with this car. 

This Elcar was auctioned out of a Wisconsin collection that was dispersed in 2018. The family that sold the collection didn't know cars and couldn't match up all of the parts to the correct cars. I bought the remainder of the parts out of the deceased collector's barns and storage units and in it were a pair of Elcar headlamps with the Elcar shield stamped in them along with a very wide headlamp spreader bar. Since the car was sold without headlamps and a headlamp bar, and the collector only had one Elcar, the parts that I found very likely belong to this car.

If anyone has the buyer's contact info, or the number to the dealer who sold the car, I would appreciate having it so I can reunite the car with its parts.

I can be reached at cadking1962@msn.com. Thanks!

• Like 7

Greetings, Angelo. I recently purchased this car and would be thrilled to be able to reunite these lights with the car! It is wonderful that you would think to post these on the off chance of making the car whole again. I emailed you earlier today to the address you included.

I have much to learn from this group and look forward to all of your help moving forward. 

Jason

sonUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_35c1.thumb.jpg.28ff16de3217d0d0eb43339b06047997.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2