Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

Seems lots of nice condition old sleds,  60's-70's for sale for under 2 grand and some even below a grand that are pretty much ready to ride and look good.  Can't get a much cheaper hobby than that.   Especially for those of us in cold climates that can't drive our cars for 6 months of the year.  Dad said he got an old registration with it and it shows 1961.   Will have to see when it shows up,  exactly what I bought. LOL

• Like 4

Yeah they are nothing like their modern day descendent but When new sleds are 20G or more in some cases you would have to think something that survived more than 40 years and in the case of mine 60 years would have to be worth more than 2 grand or less, in good shape.   I guess it's all based on supply and demand and there is just not quite enough demand for them yet.  Though a pretty nice, might have been restored,  late 60's Alpine with the Caboose sold for something like $6500 on BAT. 

• Like 1

awwww come on .......come here in late January or Febuary when we get -35 and even -40 spells..... and come for a ride .........I often wonder what the windchill is at 60 MPH ......-187 ?............and you have to be dressed just right to last anytime at all

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Too cold for me!!

My number one problem when riding sleds has always been being too warm. With the right gear you are never cold. The modern sleds are crazy fast with rocket like acceleration. They also have great suspensions that let you ride all day and get up and do it again the next day. When my Arctic Cat F-1000 was new I took it to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. On a nice cold morning -25 with a freshly groomed trail, I looked down and saw 121 mph. Snowmobiles can be a lot of fun. 

• Like 2

I guess the appeal of a vintage sled is two fold.  We are stuck with winter for 6 months out of the year or atleast a solid 4.  Road salt negates the ability to drive our cars.  So I figure the vintage sled still gives me some vintage motoring experience in the winter and might even make it a little fun.  If you own a little land it's almost better than driving the car on the roads if it's a prewar smaller car.  No way you are holding up traffic on your own property unless your kids are out harrassing you with one of the newer sleds and you can always take that away.   Just you and your machine.  The way we like it on old back roads with alot of our old cars. 

Trying to make the most of winter.  It's all we can do.  No fresh snow but cold weather put a nice surface on the pond,  so we'll be out skating this afternoon.  I skated once in the last 35 years, until I built the pond this fall.  This year I have skated 6 or 7 times so far.   Looks like the best ice so far this morning. 

i think here its a whole different story in some ways.........I have had the new Ski -Doo's over the past 10 years......and yes nice in some ways.......I like my old vintage Trusty Triple cylinder motors that have been mostly long gone for 25 years far more powerful than new snowmobiles......and love the comfy 76 caddy soft seat and classic ride ,and added electric heated hand and thumb warmers and helmet etc ,and for speed it actually does nearly 100 mph like nothing and i cruise 50-70 mph.....around here is much different than being in USA and maybe more populated areas,also the fact that ski doo travel is more common and crossing private owned land is accepted ,there are also 12,000 miles of snowmobile trails in Manitoba as well as public and private warm up shacks for example i can travel nearly to Hudson Bay on the arctic ocean from my house im guessing 1000 miles ,95% of population lives withing one hour of the USA border and the northen 800 miles of land [in this province] is mostly public lands open to ride,and 2000 miles of land north of that nearly the size of the US is snowmobile only travel and where ppl have snowmobiles and never own a car.The inuit ppl of the north still like the vintage style and the snowmobile companies still produce the 40 year old workhorse styles.riding the rivers i find fun and find old cars that you can never see on the  backside of farms and places from the river .......today i am going to head from my place north 20 miles to a friends place and fairly safe on my own still in cell service area,he is into old cars too and his 32 ford is parked for the winter........we will head for lunch to another town 20 miles further through a valley on old 1865 rail bed and tressel bridge and old hwy bridge passing number of long since abandoned farms sites with remains of early cars etc since big corporate farms have consumed the smaller old farms,then we will head into a endless area half bush land/farm land hills and endless lakes and old logging area but also still a populated area but sparse maybe compared to the US........then after maybe 100 miles sledding i will be back home.

Few years ago[maybe 4] i ended up with this model A and 8 other cars lol.......by stopping at a old car guys farm/place for coffee and visit and much needed warm up .....not that i found it by snowmobile but the stop led to buying it......its all redone now by a friend i sold it to

002.JPG

005.JPG

• Like 3

a few friends and i are wanting to get some old fur coats etc and try going for a cruise in open touring car in -35 and do some black and white photos.....authentic looking with tire chains going through deep snow,old leather winter front rad covers and guns and snow shoes,shovels etc tied down ..........just for fun to experience the way it used to be

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 6:55 AM, arcticbuicks said:

this is what i really want for four seasons vintage driving 001.JPG.1ef205d692c3f555c0745e46295ade30.JPG007.JPG.8cb767f7da495dbf1ffdb44e2fa41326.JPG

How does the driver get in and out of that Model A pickup snowmobile?   Looks like the tracks are higher than the bottom of the doors.

paul dobbin........yes thats the fun part,you have to step in through window on most,some model As had smaller idler wheels to open door,or removed door,and the open touring were easy.......and i think most ppl were thin in those days.

On 1/13/2023 at 5:22 AM, Twisted Shifter said:

The car is driving on a road, but it's not visible beneath the water

25 California Flood Photos That Are Kinda Scary TBH

CHP works to shut down 5 Freeway after 'chaotic' rain floods lanes in Sun  Valley – Daily News

Relentless rain causes massive flooding in Southern California

Flood damage to your property? Here's what to do next | fox61.com

Photos, Videos Show Flooding From 'Bomb Cyclone' in California

"Oh, shit!" moment:

Climate Change Magnified Recent California Deluge - Scientific American

I was giving my insurance talk to a car club once when, "Bob" asked me if it would

be covered if he drove into a flooded road and his car sank?    "Yes Bob, there is

no Stupidity Exclusion if it was "accidental".

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

Finally got the 64 Alpine out as we got just a little fresh snow.  

Surprisingly fired up after just a few pulls. 

I actually took it out for it's maiden voyage yesterday but took it back out today to get some photos for proof. 

It has the same Steering radius of my Brockway. ;) 

Seems to be about 100 feet to do a 180. 

Fortunately it's not too bad to man handle.

Leaning doesn't help a whole lot,  especially with so little snow because of the twin tracks. 

I drove it probably about 3 miles total. 

Love how the exhaust comes out of the hood.  Reminds me of the old WWII planes.  Definitely a beast and a work out to drive,  but I had a big grin on my face for a few hours afterward. 

Will be interesting to see how it handles deep snow.  We are suppose to get 8-12 inches tonight. 

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

• Like 11

About 235 miles to Las Vegas in our PB Roadster this morning.

Clear and sunny, but with no heater, top down and temps reaching high 40’s, it got little nippy during the drive. 
Next stop, Death Valley (with similar forecast expected) …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, EmTee said:

I might have to get me one...

image.png.cf62179cfb48f14667d59dc724c268ed.png

If you have $1000-$2000. You can have a whole pile of them to choose from.  Atleast in the Northeast.   All in Pretty nice shape.  Most ready to ride.  Tons of Variety.   Good thing I have self control or I would have a garage full.  Especially after playing with cars,  these things are cheap and tons of Survivors to choose from. 

• Like 3

Another nearly 300 miles in last couple of days, including brief stops at +/- 250 ft. below & +/- 5000 ft. above sea level in Death Valley today. Currently relaxing in the garden at the Inn …

D10F267C-E3D7-4EDD-979D-BEF89B2FDC68.png

09D8E5CB-959D-4B23-B120-625B52891883.png

39F2CFC9-75E9-4636-A610-5B4ACA704CEC.png

D16BAF87-C2B0-4F61-9078-2FBDC73EF439.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While today’s initial and preliminary road testing was less than 10 miles, it inspired* enough confidence that I’ll do an extended one this weekend. 
Weather is expected to be even nicer than today’s sunny and balmy 68*.

* Transaxle (the main reason it was brought in for repairs/services) along with number of other electrical & mechanical concerns, will require a removal and complete overhaul, but overall it and rest of the drivetrain and suspension, etc. felt better than I had expected/suspected without any previous experience driving a Cord 812. 

6CF90C61-4073-4C17-A8DC-35FF8065E541.jpeg

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, TTR said:

While today’s initial and preliminary road testing was less than 10 miles, it inspired* enough confidence that I’ll do an extended one this weekend. 
Weather is expected to be even nicer than today’s sunny and balmy 68*.

* Transaxle (the main reason it was brought in for repairs/services) along with number of other electrical & mechanical concerns, will require a removal and complete overhaul, but overall it and rest of the drivetrain and suspension, etc. felt better than I had expected/suspected without any previous experience driving a Cord 812. 

6CF90C61-4073-4C17-A8DC-35FF8065E541.jpeg

A Well sorted 810/812 is a joy to drive. “Sorted“ being important adjective.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

A Well sorted 810/812 is a joy to drive. “Sorted“ being important adjective.

I have an original, unrestored Cord, lots of wear.  Fun to drive but heavy steering and somewhat clunky.

I upholstered a perfectly restored Cord, done by a master in Florida, for the late Bill Pettit. Oh my gosh, what a delightful car to drive.  Yes, sorted, restored as new with nothing left “that’s good enough”…fabulous cars.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

A Well sorted 810/812 is a joy to drive. 

I can imagine and the owner expects it to be when I’m done.

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

“Sorted“ being important adjective.

I fully agree and wish to that it should be the objective for any and all vintage cars, more so on anything interesting and/or unusual to drive.

Besides, what's the point of having, a great (vintage) car if it’s not well sorted ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

10 hours ago, TTR said:

I can imagine and the owner expects it to be when I’m done.

I fully agree and wish to that it should be the objective for any and all vintage cars, more so on anything interesting and/or unusual to drive.

Besides, what's the point of having a great (vintage) car if it’s not well sorted ?

Good luck.  Between shop and I we have about 120 hours in so far on the selection system.   Granted, I'm an idiot,  but the guys in the shop are not...

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Good luck.  Between shop and I we have about 120 hours in so far on the selection system.   Granted, I'm an idiot,  but the guys in the shop are not...

Thanks.
Having had personally restored and worked on numerous vintage cars in past 45 years (+/- 35 “professionally”), I’m more than aware how much time it takes to do or sort out anything correctly.

By many accounts, I’m also an idiot, but must continuously try to live up to my first signature line expectations since I don’t have any, let alone smart, help in my shop. ☹️

I got few dozen hours on this so far, just to be able road test her, but as I mentioned, it is and will continue to be an interesting project to sort out.

EDIT:

12 hours ago, TTR said:

Besides, what's the point of having, let alone driving, a great and interesting  (vintage) car if it’s not mechanically/technically well sorted ?

• Like 1

I would let both of you idiot’s come and work on my car anytime you want. AJ if you want to drag that character you know in FL along that would be ok too. I’ll even supply the CR stuff he likes or the good Woodford Reserve if you prefer. I’ll be happy to watch the three of you argue who is right on sorting out my Studebaker. 
dave s 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Due to some unexpected scheduling and weather related delays, my initially planned “extended road testing” with the 812SC was cut short and I only achieved about 25 miles, but it was very helpful to gain insight to and understanding of the shifting behaviors and operations of the transaxle, along with the general road behavior of the car, its engine, brakes, suspension, etc. performances, which all seemed quite good and stable, although I wasn't able to reach speeds much beyond +/- 70 MPH.

During this drive I did experience something I’ve almost forgot owners/drivers of cars with this type of styling probably must endure relatively often.
Sitting at signal lights, someone from a vehicle next to me yelled out an question “Is that a real* or replica ?”, which must feel beyond annoying to those with former, regardless of make or model, and embarrassing to anyone, but likely even more so for any passengers in latter.

*OTOH, I suspected the person asking probably didn’t really know what kind of car it actually is.

Or, when driving a Packard, "is that a Rolls Royce" or a Model A. "Is that a Model T", hey it beats "what's it worth"... 

Great drive Sunday, kissed 50 degrees and wanted to test a minor repair, bring things up to temp, round out the bias plys and move the car over a bit upon returning to the garage! 

FB_IMG_1675634500264.jpg

FB_IMG_1675779235682.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Added new pic (see edit history)
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

every Duesenberg in a barn ends up being a Buick.

... and every late-'20's/early-'30's "modified" (low-to-mid-priced) car, regardless of make or body style, is generally referred as "Model A Roadster ?".

• Like 2