Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

9 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I am really not into postwar cars? And maybe I have seen one before? But I would appreciate seeing a nice side or 3/4s view of that RR.

I like it better in its original colors.  I'm the little guy.

AJ011.jpg

Catalog.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

I like it better in its original colors.  I'm the little guy.

Thank you for sharing that photo! The car does have nice lines and quite stylish, for a postwar car. In spite of the whitewalls.

• Like 1

This afternoon I decided to take my 1935 Cadillac for a drive. I found a nice, twelve-mile country road with lots of switchbacks and tight curves. (The 1st picture was taken on a relatively straight section, for safety’s sake - I didn’t want someone coming around a very sharp corner and finding me partially blocking the road.) The drive was fun, the road was beautiful, and the car ran as it should.

The return trip was less fun, but still nice: A straight two-lane state highway with moderately heavy traffic at a speed of about 50 mph. The Cadillac has rather low gearing, but was quite comfortable at that speed.

I came to an intersection and things went sour. Ahead of the intersection was some serious roadwork. The car and I waited for about fifteen minutes (seemed longer; was probably shorter) before the light and traffic allowed us to proceed. About a tenth of a mile past the light, the Cadillac showed its unhappiness and quit running. It clearly had vapor lock. I managed to coast to stop and parked it.

There were two bright spots. The first; I think I saw a hazy image of what appeared to be Matt Harwood saying “There, there, it happens to the best of us”, the image blurred and I think I heard “Junk it, get a Lincoln”.  Secondly, the view was lovely. (See picture.) After a half hour wait, I started the car and drove home, with a smile on my face.

Cad 1.jpg

Cad 3.jpg

Cad 4.jpg

Edited by pmhowe (see edit history)
  • Like 17
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, pmhowe said:

This afternoon I decided to take my 1935 Cadillac for a drive. I found a nice, twelve-mile country road with lots of switchbacks and tight curves. (The 1st picture was taken on a relatively straight section, for safety’s sake - I didn’t want someone coming around a very sharp corner and finding me partially blocking the road.) The drive was fun, the road was beautiful, and the car ran as it should.

The return trip was less fun, but still nice: A straight two-lane state highway with moderately heavy traffic at a speed of about 50 mph. The Cadillac has rather low gearing, but was quite comfortable at that speed.

I came to an intersection and things went sour. Ahead of the intersection was some serious roadwork. The car and I waited for about fifteen minutes (seemed longer; was probably shorter) before the light and traffic allowed us to proceed. About a tenth of a mile past the light, the Cadillac showed its unhappiness and quit running. It clearly had vapor lock. I managed to coast to stop and parked it.

There were two bright spots. The first; I think I saw a hazy image of what appeared to be Matt Harwood saying “There, there, it happens to the best of us”, the image blurred and I think I heard “Junk it, get a Lincoln”.  Secondly, the view was lovely. (See picture.) After a half hour wait, I started the car and drove home, with a smile on my face.

Cad 1.jpg

Cad 3.jpg

Cad 4.jpg

Par for the course.  I assume once things cooled down, it ran fine again? Vapor lock can be cured but modern gas definitely exacerbates the problem.

I’ve had to call a rollback twice in the last three weeks. After not having to do it for years, definitely demoralizing.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

I’ve had to call a rollback twice in the last three weeks.

Did you still have “winter gas” in the tank? That has happened to me in the early days of summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee H said:

Did you still have “winter gas” in the tank? That has happened to me in the early days of summer.

I'm very particular about the gas.   I never let a car with pump gas sit for more than 5 or 6 weeks without running it to operating temp.   I have found that if stored in a cool (not freezing) place the pump gas will do ok for 3 or 4 months.   I don't like to push it past that.

I filled the tank of my car that morning. I’m guessing it was indeed “winter gas” It is also a case of “Pride goeth before a fall”. On the  Not Mine For Sale thread, I made the comment regarding a 1935 Cadillac;  “That said, I have found it to be a very reliable, trouble-free carburetor. I haven’t had problems with vapor lock, but I live in the mountains.”  I should have kept my big mouth tightly shut! Now I have problems with vapor lock. :)

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

I'm very particular about the gas.   I never let a car with pump gas sit for more than 5 or 6 weeks without running it to operating temp.   I have found that if stored in a cool (not freezing) place the pump gas will do ok for 3 or 4 months.   I don't like to push it past that.

Invest in Marine Stabil 360, in non ethanol gas it's good for a year or more.   Costs twice as much as the red Stabil

but lasts 5 times+ longer.  I mix 25 gallons at a time and use it in all gas engines that are not daily drivers.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
un to in (see edit history)
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Invest in Marine Stabil 360, in non ethanol gas it's good for a year or more.   Costs twice as much as the red Stabil

but lasts 5 times+ longer.  I mix 25 gallons at a time and use it in all gas engines that are not daily drivers.

Or consider Startron gas stabilizer, enzyme based, found at boat supply stores, even better than marine Stabil IMHO.  It's light blue in color, but be careful you're buying their fuel *stabilizer* because they also offer (1) gas and (2) diesel fuel system cleaners.  The stabilizer is about $40-42/quart but you only need 1 oz of it for each 8 gallons of gasoline.  Good for about 3 yrs, so I also use it for small fuel cans for gasoline leaf blower and string trimmer.

• Like 5

Not a long hood or a fancy hood ornament.....but bugs on the windshield...dirt roads.... 180 miles over 2 days.....one of the nicest weekend we have had in a long time...... lets some Amish kids sit in some cars...... one covered bridge....and lots of food, drink and storytelling with friends as is par for the course on one of our tour weekends.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Saturday June 15th was National Drive your Early Ford V8 Day and I rounded up 4 of the 7 of Early Ford V8s for a hot

climb up Standing Indian Mountain in 90 degree heat tp take picture.   We had a 1929 Model A  and a 1981 El Camino

and a 1962 Corvette come for support and to bring the 8' step ladder for the photographer (me).

We lined up for our annual "Drive picture" at the overlook near the top,  with our town of Franklin, NC below.  Another 

perfect day for a ride in the country.   The ride back was faster and cooler than the ride up, maybe because refreshments,

restrooms and socialization awaited us back in the valley.  

Another perfect day of a ride in our part of the country (Smoky Mountains) in antique cars.IMG_86181.JPG.d682017ece74400e770970a009e59c3e.JPGX

IMG_04681.JPG.038dae20f1b6684d28750698b50a141a.JPG

IMG_0469[1].JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin
corrected the date to the 15th (see edit history)
  • Like 12

53793860012_a0dd706e5f_c.jpg20240616_091319 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

53793862122_dfa9632779_c.jpg20240616_091714 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Thursday and Friday were stinking hot here in the Mid Atlantic, but Sat and Sunday could not have been better weather. Sunday morning the wife and I headed to town for breakfast then on to the grocery store to pick up some vittles for my Fathers Day dinner. Not many miles but any day driving this is better than most other things, LOL.

• Like 6

Super hot in New England this week.   93 degrees and humid today.   I took my Stearns out for just a few miles as I had not run it in a while and we all know sitting is bad.   Interesting comparison to the PII RR I was driving a couple of weeks ago.  Similar in size (146" wb vs 150"wb)  HP (both 120) and both have 6' long hoods.  Production J8-90 Stearns Knight cars sold for 5500 dollars,  my car has coachbuilt body and was closer to 10k.   Those RR were almost 20K and just about the most expensive cars you could buy in America.  

I was happy to see my temp gauge (lower right) staying well within the normal range after a lot of slow driving and idling.

IMG_5012.jpg

• Like 12

Low 90's here and full sun. Took the Vette out for a lite early dinner. Top down, black interior, full sun beating down on us, about 700 pounds of HOT 427 cast iron in our laps, macadam too hot to stand on and the air coming in the vents about 100F.....New fully climate controlled Grand Cherokee sitting in the garage. ......What were we thinking?.............Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I don’t often drive pre war Fords. Today I was working on this one………..they tell me for a Ford, it’s a fairly rare beast……….🤔

IMG_6391.jpeg

IMG_6390.jpeg

IMG_6389.jpeg

• Like 10

My nephew had never ridden in my crusty SS so we fixed that after a good scrub and fresh gas. A great running and driving project taking a backseat to my Haynes. Original 327 and powerglide. Did fantastic in the 90 degree heat for a quick 30 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway. 

IMG_1012.jpeg

IMG_1025.jpeg

IMG_1015.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

I don’t often drive pre war Fords. Today I was working on this one………..they tell me for a Ford, it’s a fairly rare beast……….🤔

IMG_6391.jpeg

IMG_6390.jpeg

IMG_6389.jpeg

Chances of parking next to another one at the track are very slim!

• Like 1

So, in the last 5 to 10 minutes of daylight on a clear night under a summer sky you can get some wonderful light. I decided to chase a sunset tonight with the 1955 Cadillac. The golden light and the coral paint made some magic. 

55cad218.jpg

55cad222.jpg

55cad223.jpg

55cad224.jpg

• Like 13

Took the 560SL for the first time to our monthly car dinner Wednesday evening. It was a beautiful night except for a short downpour during dinner. Car won peoples choice 3rd place. Got a bottle of champagne.

image.jpeg.0e558b8b66e300f576fcd2996123d7b1.jpeg

IMG_9546.jpeg

IMG_9542.jpeg

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Today was low 80s but with little humidity and a nice breeze.   My son and law and I had the Stearns out.   I then spent some time driving a 1920 Packard Twin Six. A 30 mile an hour car.  It made the Stearns seem like a Duesenberg.  Finished the day in a 42 Roadmaster which was the nads.  Makes me want to have one.

IMG_7735(1).JPG

• Like 9

I then spent some time driving a 1920 Packard Twin Six. A 30 mile an hour car.  It made the Stearns seem like a Duesenberg.

When you remembered to dial in a 1920s mindset, I bet that Packard was a thrill to drive. 

My "fun" cars date 1966, 1937, 1935, 1928. The driving experiences are, of course, totally different.

I find that maximum enjoyment is attained if I put my mind and my mood into period that was appropriate for the car in question. Driving my 1928 car along a country road is a thrill.  It is even a better thrill if I see or imagine other 1920s cars on the road and look for landscape items that were there at the time. Same thinking for the newer cars. My best driving experiences are when I can put driving into the proper period context.

A car that iprovides a period feel over  multiple decades is my 1966 Morgan. On old country roads, it is comfortable from early pre-war WWII up to (nearly) the present. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

Today was low 80s but with little humidity and a nice breeze.   My son and law and I had the Stearns out.   I then spent some time driving a 1920 Packard Twin Six. A 30 mile an hour car.  It made the Stearns seem like a Duesenberg.  Finished the day in a 42 Roadmaster which was the nads.  Makes me want to have one.

IMG_7735(1).JPG

What body style twin were you driving? I’m surprised that you say it’s a 30 mph car. If it’s properly dialed in you should be able comfortably cruise over 50 mph and still have plenty of throttle left. A twin 6 is a rocket ship for the era. At those speeds you just have to plan stopping…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tph479 said:

What body style twin were you driving? I’m surprised that you say it’s a 30 mph car. If it’s properly dialed in you should be able comfortably cruise over 50 mph and still have plenty of throttle left. A twin 6 is a rocket ship for the era. At those speeds you just have to plan stopping…

Touring car.  Perhaps it has the optional tow truck rear end ratio. 

Today I had J-218, the 42 Lincoln, the 15 White, and the 35 Ford out. Also took a new Vette for a spin. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Touring car.  Perhaps it has the optional tow truck rear end ratio. 

If your buddy is interested I can scan and email over a bunch of twin six manuals and other useful information. It has a lot of adjustment information on how to dial one in. I would be more than happy to send it over. I cringed when I read your review that it is a 30 mph car!

On 7/3/2024 at 2:44 PM, alsancle said:

I then spent some time driving a 1920 Packard Twin Six. A 30 mile an hour car.  It made the Stearns seem like a Duesenberg. 

I have known several people that owned early Packard twin sixes. Never heard one complain about the car being slow? Although, in most cases those Packards were not driven very much, usually being in large collections with so many other wonderful cars to be driven.  And the early Packard twin sixes were built to a level of elegance more so than performance. Although I still would expect them to cruise nicely at closer to 50 mph. However as someone said, perhaps the car has city traffic gears in it. Cars like limousines often had really low gear ratios, sometimes those low gears ended up in touring cars. 

Years ago I knew a Brewster (sleeve valve) open front town car, its top speed was only a bit over 30 mph. Another Stearns Knight (1925) that a close friend had was geared so low its top speed was about 38 mph (it was one of the fanciest cars I ever rode in!). That Stearns didn't like anything over 32.

I have toured alongside a couple of early twin six Packards. I might not think of them as high performance cars, but I never thought they were slow. The 1915 big six Studebaker I used to have could out perform most 1920s or earlier cars. Sure wish I still had that one. I never did find the top speed for it, but it seemed to like slightly over 50 mph.

A good friend (sadly died too young about twenty years ago) had a very impressive and sizeable collection of very nice automobiles. The "centerpiece" of his collection was about twenty Packard automobiles, all either beautifully restored or fantastic original condition, ranging from 1903 into post WW2. About half of them were pre1920. The last car he restored was a 1917 Packard twin six roadster, incredibly beautiful. Sadly, he never got to drive the finished car due to his failing health (ALS). The last major club tour he attended was a nickel era tour, he had to be transported in the special van while his daughter and her boyfriend drove the big Packard so he could see it on the tour. I went on that tour in my Studebaker. That twin six seemed to perform just fine.

• Like 1

Got up early today for a 50 mile ride in a 1930 Pierce Arrow 7 passenger touring car.   Went 50 MPH on the flat roads

with 4 guys in the P.A., then up the Gorge Road to Highlands, NC for the Saturday morning gathering of car nuts, called

"Butts on The Bench".    Then along the ridge to Cashiers, NC for "Cars & Coffee".   A awesome big car that held onto

the mountain roads like a sports car.    Enjoyed the cool weather above 4000 feet while following country roads that 

were unpaved at the time this car was built.   Another great day in the antique car hobby!.IMG_04841.JPG.23a119fa93538876e7e4256d1ea49bf0.JPG

• Like 12