Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Photo challenge: Identify what is going on here.......a major historical event in a big American city. Something I have been familiar with since my high school days from someone who whitnessed this event and spoke of it often............

BostonMolassesDisaster.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Photo challenge: Identify what is going on here.......a major historical event in a big American city. Something I have been familiar with since my high school days from someone who whitnessed this event and spoke of it often............

BostonMolassesDisaster.jpg

Boston January 15th, 1919  Rescue and clean-up after the Great Molasses Flood. Talk about it with my students every year when we discuss engineering disasters.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 5/7/2022 at 8:58 PM, keiser31 said:

That car sure has a lot of 1928-29 Ford in it except for the wheels.

1929 Ford-model-a-sedan-ken-morris.jpg

I believe German made Model-A's came with disc wheels.  I missed a set of 19" disc wheels for my '31 Model-A some years back at Hershey.

Captain Harley😉

"To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth"  - J. Cooper

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hook said:

(1) Boston molasses disaster 1-15-1919.jpg

(2) Boston molasses disaster 1-15-1919.jpg

(3) Boston molasses disaster 1-15-1919.jpg

(4) Boston molasses disaster 1-15-1919.jpg

(5) Boston molasses disaster 1-15-1919.jpg

(6) Boston molasses disaster 1-15-1919.jpg

(8) Boston molasses disaster 1-15-1919.jpg

(9) Boston molasses disaster 1-15-1919.jpg

(10) Boston molasses disaster 1-15-1919.jpg

The newspapers made it a sensational headline by saying the tank exploded. It actually just burst from the pressure of being too full and under designed. I read a long time ago that the reason for the extreme amount of molasses in storage was due in part or whole to the Prohibition act that put molasses shipments in limbo. Who ever said "slow as molasses" obviously was not there.

• Like 2

By the looks of that spare tire, he's going to need that mobile phone to call for help. By the 1960's the units got a little smaller. The phone mounted in the car and the unit under it in the photo mounted in the trunk.......hopefully with a better spare!

2114436224_CarPhone002Ford.jpg.cbf8b42475c5b744dd5dbba77e04a8f9.jpg

mobile phone 4.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry, forgot to attach the photo of the destroyed car in Tyler, Minnesota.

Hmmm, turns out the file extension doesn't work here.  Last resort is a poor quality screen shot.

DSC03006.JPG

18 minutes ago, twin6 said:

load.jpg

I am fairly sure this one is a Peerless. In researching it I found these four pics. I suspect the first was taken at a mid teens fashion show. The shot with the couple was taken in San Francisco at the Peerless dealership. The last two pics are from The Monterey historic files and purport to be a 1910 Peerless Model 27 but I think the forward mounting of the radiator suggests it is earlier than 1910. 

woman-sitting-in-a-peerless-car-bettmann.jpg

couple-with-their-peerless-car-underwood-archives.jpg

auto-california-views-mr-pat-hathaway-archives.jpg

1910-peerless-model-27-7-passenger-tourer-1-california-views-mr-pat-hathaway-archives.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Possibly a ' 19 or '20 Briscoe?

Briscoe.jpg

I did wonder if it might be a Briscoe. This 1916 Briscoe which was first restored in the late 1950s belonged to a family friend and I got to ride in it several times as a child. An influence on my interest in early cars. I took this photo at an old car event about 1979. It changed hands after his death and now has a purple body and bright yellow wheels.

If our mystery car is a Briscoe it is a little later. Note though that the front fenders of the mystery car are almost square across the front.

PICT0006 - Copy (2) resize.JPG

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Rosamond, California 1931. A gold mining town in the Mojave desert in what wiki tells me is now the far reaches of Greater Los Angeles.

The car might be a Graham?

May be an image of 1 person, outdoors and text that says 'GOLD QUARTZ 2 HOTEL'

May be a black-and-white image of road

1929 Hupmobile.

1929 Hupmobile.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

A mystery car in New Zealand - possibly in the 1930s but I think the car dates from the mid teens. Not a lot of clues to its identity. 

Maybe someone has the tools to clean up the photo?

May be an image of 3 people, people standing and outdoors

Fenders are smooth like on a Saxon.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 4:19 PM, nzcarnerd said:

I am fairly sure this one is a Peerless. In researching it I found these four pics. I suspect the first was taken at a mid teens fashion show. The shot with the couple was taken in San Francisco at the Peerless dealership. The last two pics are from The Monterey historic files and purport to be a 1910 Peerless Model 27 but I think the forward mounting of the radiator suggests it is earlier than 1910. 

woman-sitting-in-a-peerless-car-bettmann.jpg

couple-with-their-peerless-car-underwood-archives.jpg

auto-california-views-mr-pat-hathaway-archives.jpg

1910-peerless-model-27-7-passenger-tourer-1-california-views-mr-pat-hathaway-archives.jpg

Hi nzcarnerd,

I wanted to add to your post. I agree with you that the motorcar you were commenting on is a Peerless. The fender/lamp/horn/spare tires layout is consistent with a 1909 Mod. 19 Peerless.

The 4 pictures:

1. A fabulous photograph of a field that seems to be full of several identical cars. The late Peerless authority Richard Lichtfeld suggested this was connected to the Boston Distributorship, capable of producing their own bodies. The sandy-beach-like environment could tell us a car dealer's field day at someplace like Revere Beach is a possibility. 
  2. A 1923-1924, indubitably, because of the Cadillac Lookalike rad shells. A nice Clothing & Car illustration. At a dealers, definitely, but maybe not the  Harrison dealership in San Francisco. COLO = Colorado on the license plate.
  3. The 2 photos from the Monterey files are neat. Definitely pre-1910.
  4. There was a gentleman who debuted a newly restored 1909 Peerless Model 19 7-P Touring Car at Pebble Beach in 2021, and the event's story on the Concours and Tour incorrectly listed it as a 1910 Model 27. The owner owns one of each and I'm sure that's where the mix-up came from. I've sat at the controls of the 1909 --- 1 of 3 in the solar system --- and know it a little. He could have sent some photos like these to apply for the event with the other car.
    Classic Cars on the Road to Pebble Beach - » AutoNXT
  5.  Here is the 1909 Model 19 at last years event.
Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

1 minute ago, jeff_a said:

Hi nzcarnerd,

I wanted to add to your post. I agree with you that the motorcar you were commenting on is a Peerless.

The 4 pictures:

1. A fabulous photograph of a field that seems to be full of several identical cars. The late Peerless authority Richard Lichtfeld suggested this was connected to the Boston Distributorship, capable of producing their own bodies. The sandy-beach-like environment could tell us a car dealer's field day at someplace like Revere Beach is a possibility. 
  2. A 1923-1924, indubitably, because of the Cadillac Lookalike rad shells. A nice Clothing & Car illustration. At a dealers, definitely, but maybe not the  Harrison dealership in San Francisco. COLO = Colorado on the license plate.
  3. The 2 photos from the Monterey files are neat. Definitely pre-1909.
  4. There was a gentleman who debuted a newly restored 1909 Peerless Model 19 7-P Touring Car at Pebble Beach recently, and the event's story on the Concours and Tour incorrectly listed it as a 1910 Model 27. The owner owns one of each and I'm sure that's where the mix-up came from. I've sat at the controls of the 1909 --- 1 of 3 in the solar system --- and know it a little. He could have sent some

Re the car with the Colorado plate. I was just quoting the info with the photo. Maybe there was no Peerless dealer where those folks lived and they were about to take it home to Colorado?

• Like 1

I will add an additional challenge to the photo of the kids, the cop and the sedan and the truck - name not only the make and model of the vehicles but the names of the kids! ( and the pup) Yes, I really like that group/team of actors , those kids are what I watched on TV all the time. A blast from my growing up past and one of only pleasant memories.  I can hear their theme song now...............................

WG the sentimentalist on long island

24 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

May be an image of 6 people, people standing and outdoors

I see a 1929 DeSoto and a White truck. I see Buckwheat, Darla, Spanky, Alfalfa and a chubby kid who I forget the name of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I see a 1929 DeSoto and a White truck. I see Buckwheat, Darla, Spanky, Alfalfa and a chubby kid who I forget the name of.

From a quick search it seems the chubby kid may not have had a name. The actor, Joe Cobb, died in 2002 at age 85.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I will add an additional challenge to the photo of the kids, the cop and the sedan and the truck - name not only the make and model of the vehicles but the names of the kids! ( and the pup) Yes, I really like that group/team of actors , those kids are what I watched on TV all the time. A blast from my growing up past and one of only pleasant memories.  I can hear their theme song now...............................

WG the sentimentalist on long island

Another challenge might be to identify the sedan on the right. Looks to be not very big, so a lower price model. Might be identifiable by the door hinge placing. No suicide doors so not an Essex.