Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

48 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Lake Tahoe.jpg

I haven’t seen too many photos with a 46 star flag. Or, for that matter, with an armored vehicle parked in the middle of a bunch of more conventional cars. A bunch of military uniforms including on people in the touring cars so maybe some sort of “sending the troops off” event. Photo legend in bottom suggests southern California for the location.

Arizona and New Mexico were admitted as states in 1912 so this photo may pre-date that. The military actions I am aware of along the Mexican border were a bit later, around 1918 and I would have expected a 48 star flag to be pretty common by then.

Anyone have the back story on this?

18 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Probably more of a 'what is it'. A jitney bus based on something American maybe. Hubcaps look to be hexagonal.

Clarity not helped by it being inside an album pocket.

20s autos Alan Henderson (2).jpg

1909 or 1910 Model 17 Buick?

Tuning a pipe organ at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle yesterday ( helped out there for 30 years) and finally paid attention to  one of the historic photos on the wall. Early 1929 all talking movie showing but what caught my eye was the Rolls Royce parked at the curb.  

IMG_0319 (1).jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Good interior shot of what?

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person, standing and outdoors

I don't know the car, but I believe that the driver is William Desmond Taylor, a prominent Hollywood director whose 1922 murder was never solved.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, twin6 said:

auto supply.jpg

Is that in Washington State by any chance?

In the 80s and 90s there used to be a small chain of parts stores in the South Puget Sound area called C.R.A.P., for "Cut Rate Auto Parts". I remember seeing a lot if C.R.A.P. branded car batteries in cars that came in for service. I swear I'm not making this up.

• Like 3

I am reaching back to the White car in front of Yellowstone lodge.  It looks to have a person in the Military in the back seat and he is probably on duty.  They used the military instead of having park rangers in the early days of Yellowstone.  My grand father was stationed there in the army from 1911 to 1913.

• Like 1

This photo was posted several pages back.  What is this brand of automobile, and what is the purpose for the suicide seat that appears permanently mounted on the right running board, while the left-side passenger seat is not occupied?  Suicide seats as used on the Kissel and Stutz slide out from the body, unfolded and were not permanently fixed.  Perhaps the seat on this car actually folds out of the way somehow that it is not obvious.

Suicide Seat.jpg

14 hours ago, Bloo said:

Is that in Washington State by any chance?

In the 80s and 90s there used to be a small chain of parts stores in the South Puget Sound area called C.R.A.P., for "Cut Rate Auto Parts". I remember seeing a lot if C.R.A.P. branded car batteries in cars that came in for service. I swear I'm not making this up.

It was all Cut Rate Auto Supplies that I can recall. Tacoma WA

download.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

This photo was posted several pages back.  What is this brand of automobile, and what is the purpose for the suicide seat that appears permanently mounted on the right running board, while the left-side passenger seat is not occupied?  Suicide seats as used on the Kissel and Stutz slide out from the body, unfolded and were not permanently fixed.  Perhaps the seat on this car actually folds out of the way somehow that it is not obvious.

Is it possibly an Oakland, c. 1912?  The headlamps from 1912 would not have been electric, but I think Oakland had headlamps mounted high up like that.

8 hours ago, twin6 said:

Is it possibly an Oakland, c. 1912?  The headlamps from 1912 would not have been electric, but I think Oakland had headlamps mounted high up like that.

As far as I can see Oaklands of that era have eight bolt front hubs. This car has six.

Also the crank hole is in a different place in the radiator.

Varun used this photo as an example of a 1912 Oakland to identify a similar model on a facebook page. No doubt Oakland made ongoing changes during the model year.

12 Oakland 40.jpg

Like that Cadillac conv sedan that Howard Dennis posted the photo of, AND the fur collar/coat sisterhood and Cloche hat sorority. Well boop boop a doop.

Mae Questel who was the voice of the Betty Boop cartoons sang a song in the era that car was made titled "Is there anything wrong in that" . It mentions a Cadillac there too, go find the lyrics , I think you will smile when you read them .

• Like 1

Canadian promotion to open up western Canada.  The vehicle appears to be electric driven but the electric motor or motors is not obvious.  However, the vehicle appears to be equipped with gear-drive hubs at the wheels; four-wheel drive.  There are articles about gear-drive hubs for heavy trucks in that time period but those where shaft drive from a gasoline engine to a differential, thence shaft drives to the gear-driven wheel hubs (two-wheel drive).

03 Canada colonization.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Unusual chain-drive, solid tyre truck. No information on location or make. I see the words 'The Badger' on some crates at the top.

sag Max Vanbreak.jpg

I believe it’s an American made Saurer truck from about 1911 or 1912 made in Plainfield, NJ. The parent company was Swiss. 

EDIT:

So this deserves a little bit more information. Saurer Motor Truck Company was founded in 1911 to manufacture trucks under the Saurer name. Saurer being Swiss that produced both trucks and cars. Interestingly Saurer Motor Truck Company merged with the Mack Brothers. American made Saurer trucks were produced until 1918 of course the company formed by the merger (International Truck Company) eventually became Mack trucks.

As a note a Saurer was the first truck to complete a transcontinental trip in 1911. There is at least one book detailing this adventure:

"A Grand Adventure: America's First Transcontinental Truck Run" Ron Colbert.

truck61.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1