Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

4 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

Here's a couple more ads from the Farmer's Advocate magazine ca .August 1911. Both the Tudhope and Everitt were built in Orillia Ontario and are the predecessors of OTACO, who built the Autotrac years later.

I scotch taped these into an album when I was a teenager, hence the glue marks in the corners.

Previous to that was the Tudhope-McIntyre: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/54502-25-years-ago-this-weekend

There is one in the Canadian Auto Museum in Oshawa.

Craig

Regarding the attached photo.  The tires on this vehicle are white wall on both sides.  Were the tires manufactured that way or were they painted by the vehicle's owner?  Years ago when I was in high school I had a 1950 Plymouth that had white wall tires.  In those days I used commonly available white wall tire paint to dress up the rubber.  In its original state the tire was black wall but was painted to be a white wall.

656721154_nicetop.jpg.9f6815732f659cab2d15d65d674cf7a1.jpg

• Like 1

Prewar whitewalls were 2-sided, but these tires are probably far too old to be whitewall. The car looks to be from about 1910-1911. Black rubber for tires was not a common thing yet if it even existed when that car was new. I doubt it existed. The car looks nearly new in the picture. I would guess the tires are all white, but gray and natural rubber are also possibilities.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Hmmm.  This is an interesting photo.  Is the make and year of the motor car known?  This is the first I have seen a "porthole" window like it in an automobile top.

shiny.jpg.37c66bf66bcbfac66dec25ef6c6b3671.jpg

It's a Stutz, ca 1916-'17, either Series C or R.  This comparing photos in The Splendid Stutz, Edited by Raymond A. Katzell

2 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

It's a Stutz, ca 1916-'17, either Series C or R.  This comparing photos in The Splendid Stutz, Edited by Raymond A. Katzell

Both typed at EXACTLY the same time!

• Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 5:46 PM, Casper Friederich said:

Professor Harald Kyrklund at Helsinki Polytechnics experimented  with gas generators way before WWII

Found this newsreel from 1938:

https://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2006/10/05/hakapontot-bensan-korvikkeena

Svensk Motortidning also featured gas generators alredy in 1924. Scania-Vabis truck with gas generator:

IMG_20220114_162246.jpg

IMG_20220114_162200.jpg

At another occasion a similary equipped French Panhard-Levassor truck was presented.

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

A family in France with their, presumably new, 1929 Nash Standard Six.  The woman on the right, the grandmother of Bruno Desbois who posted the photo, went by the imposing name of Henriette Feuquer-Granghon.

May be an image of 3 people, people standing and outdoors

Another of the same car with his grand father Paul Desbois, leaning against the door - 

May be an image of 3 people and people standing

• Like 1

A photo posted on a facebook page captioned "Woman sitting sidesaddle on a Ford roadster, 1925". 

The car is certainly not a Ford but even though I am sure I have seen photos of a similar car with that distinctive mounting for the spare wire wheel I can't recall what it is.

Could it be a Stutz? It looks to be too long in the wheelbase to be a Stutz though.

May be an image of 1 person

I found this pic while researching this - a white knuckle ride?

See the source image

• Like 3

23 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

A photo posted on a facebook page captioned "Woman sitting sidesaddle on a Ford roadster, 1925". 

The car is certainly not a Ford but even though I am sure I have seen photos of a similar car with that distinctive mounting for the spare wire wheel I can't recall what it is.

Could it be a Stutz? It looks to be too long in the wheelbase to be a Stutz though.

May be an image of 1 person

Ruth McDonald at the Auto Fashion Show, Sheepshead Bay, June 23, 1917.  Still don't know the make of car, though.

Edited by twin6
correction (see edit history)

The footrest on the running board and the running board and the door on the side of the body (possibly for a seat) tell me it might be a Kissel.

kissel.jpg

A Cunningham(?) with a Scripps-Booth at right rear. 

So far I have not found any more from that event. The photos are from the Library of Congress and more searching might find more.

Weirdly the photos here are on a Flickr page and are spread amongst a whole lot taken at a actors fundraising event. 

Ruth McDonald (LOC) | Bain News Service,, publisher. Ruth Mc… | Flickr

Ruth McDonald (LOC)

Ruth McDonald (LOC)

19235738074_b3222e2822_o.jpg

Off topic but among that bunch of photos taken at the actors event in 2013 was this one which reminded me of another one posted somewhere which went a long way towards explaining the difference between the 289 and 427 Cobras.

289 vs 427 Cobra.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

Definitely NOT a Kissel. Cowl, running board, side door, windshield definitely not. Ron Hausmann

And of course it can't be a Stutz because it has left hand drive. 

Is it possible the negative was printed back to front? What side does the Stutz have its mother-in-law seat?

Is that a custom steering wheel??

19670363890_0fb30d0c5b_o.jpg

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

And of course it can't be a Stutz because it has left hand drive. 

Is it possible the negative was printed back to front? What side does the Stutz have its mother-in-law seat?

Is that a custom steering wheel??

19670363890_0fb30d0c5b_o.jpg

It’s not a seat drawer as a Kissel or Paige would have. That door is likely for golf club stowage. I’m not aware that Stutz ever used a side-seat configuration as Kissel, Paige, or Pilot did. Quite rare. And dumb.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

27 minutes ago, ron hausmann said:

It’s not a seat drawer as a Kissel or Paige would have. That door is likely for golf club stowage. I’m not aware that Stutz ever used a side-seat configuration as Kissel, Paige, or Pilot did. Quite rare. And dumb.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

A golf bag would not need a foot rest.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ron hausmann said:

Ron Hausmann P.E.

I would think that the braces on the running board for feet would indicate a seat is hiding behind that little door.

The photo of this automobile continues to be a mystery.  Two versions of this photo have been posted, one of them is a reversed image.  The photo here probably is the true image because the annotations on the photo reads in correct order, "Ruth McDonald" and "4248-1".  Hence the automobile probably is am American model, a roadster / speedster that has a right-side suicide seat (the fold down door and foot rest).  The spare tire and wheel mounts on the rear similar to the auto in the second attached photo, supposedly identified as a 1915 Crane Simplex runabout.  I can not vouch for the accuracy of the '15 Crane Simplex identification, because of both accuracies and mistakes in identifications on the WWW.  The Crane Simplex photo doesn't really say 1915 to me, but it is the only identification I have associated with the photo.  At any rate, the rear deck with the spare tire seems to accord with the mystery car and the Simplex, however the windshield does not compare at all.  The construction of the windshield on the mystery car is most definitely unique.

Ruth McDonald 01-02.jpg

15 Crane Simplex Runabout.jpg

I'm gonna go out on a limb.........C-3 Cunningham with a best guess  Blue Ribbon Body done in NYC. I think it's a special-special. The steering wheel controls don't look like regular Cunningham, and that's going to be the clue that ID's the car.........neat photo, and I love a mystery.

19670363890_0fb30d0c5b_o.jpg.f33ec8adcf40ff4cb9e982dba2cae595.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

Ron Hausmann P.E.

It was suggested elsewhere that it was a seat drawer because of the foot rest on the running board.

3 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

The photo of this automobile continues to be a mystery.  Two versions of this photo have been posted, one of them is a reversed image.  The photo here probably is the true image because the annotations on the photo reads in correct order, "Ruth McDonald" and "4248-1".  Hence the automobile probably is am American model, a roadster / speedster that has a right-side suicide seat (the fold down door and foot rest).  The spare tire and wheel mounts on the rear similar to the auto in the second attached photo, supposedly identified as a 1915 Crane Simplex runabout.  I can not vouch for the accuracy of the '15 Crane Simplex identification, because of both accuracies and mistakes in identifications on the WWW.  The Crane Simplex photo doesn't really say 1915 to me, but it is the only identification I have associated with the photo.  At any rate, the rear deck with the spare tire seems to accord with the mystery car and the Simplex, however the windshield does not compare at all.  The construction of the windshield on the mystery car is most definitely unique.

Ruth McDonald 01-02.jpg

15 Crane Simplex Runabout.jpg

I have seen photos before where the negative has been printed back to front and the caption added later - which just adds to the confusion.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb.........C-3 Cunningham with a best guess  Blue Ribbon Body done in NYC. I think it's a special-special. The steering wheel controls don't look like regular Cunningham, and that's going to be the clue that ID's the car.........neat photo, and I love a mystery.

19670363890_0fb30d0c5b_o.jpg.f33ec8adcf40ff4cb9e982dba2cae595.jpg

Is that steering wheel a regular production item or a 'special'? It appears that 'cross tube' is what supports the two inner half circles.  I wonder what the shiny fitting clamped the to column is holding.

It is unfortunate that all of these photos from that Auto Fashion Show are quite low res and can't be blown up much.

Did you have any thoughts on the four seater on disc wheels and what look to be Oldsmobile hubcaps?

Looking at the group photo of the girls on the big wire-wheeled Winton there seems to have been no concern about the 'scruffy' ground.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Anyone want to ID the car the lady with the gun is sitting on?

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 1.58.55 PM.png

It is either a Type 51 or a Type 53. Apparently for the Type 53 the hood was raised a little so that 'the transition in the cowl from the hood is less abrupt'. I reckon this one could be a 53.