Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

18 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Dave G. posted this wonderful photo on page 343 of this forum's thread.  Dave did not identify the car and I still do not know what it is.  It is a large car, because apparently the young woman in the car must be sitting on a jump seat, making the car perhaps a seven passenger.  Another interesting feature is the wheels.  They appear to be welded steel spoke rather than wood spoke wheels.  Does anyone know the make, model, and year of the car?  Also information about the wheels?  The wheels appear to have knock-off spinners.

And what's the story on Dave?  He posted quite a number great photos and now he seems to have dropped out.

Page 343.jpg

Others may know better but Dave G is mostly on the Buick boards and pops in from time to time. He disappeared the last time for what seemed like a couple of years... I could be wrong as I'm going by memory.

Manufacturing.

A look inside the confusing years of Dodge Brothers taking over Graham Brothers just before Chrysler took over Dodge Brothers...
As most of you know there are countless other takeovers and consolidation around this pre war era, I think it's interesting to take a peak inside the factories to help us understand certain things. I'll not bore the non Dodge Brothers crowd with the gory details but it's been an intriguing chronological study for the past decade as a researcher. Photos like this give us a visual to things we've read for years.

Assembly plant.jpg

• Like 2

Is this a '20-something Marmon?  I have never seen a radiator cap decoration like the one in this photo; have gone through my radiator/hood ornament files but can not find anything that looks like it.  And I don't recognize the steel wheel type.  The "Sam's Tire Shop" cover appears rather underwhelming.

240005779_TerreHaute.jpg.bfc342a0d17439eed42a854b0e02c31c.jpg

• Like 2

It is interesting and educational to see operations inside old factories.  In the case of the Graham operations in these photos, the small size of the factory work area probably equates to a relatively small volume of production.  In the lower photo, identified as a Detroit assembly plant, the overhead wooden truss beams attest to rather old structural standards.  The chain hoist hanging from a truss beam must have been used for lifting an engine into place.

Here are several photos inside the Packard factory.  The first photo shows making a 1911 Packard body from aluminum sheets, the second photo shows the production of Packard steering wheels (The Automobile, 10 Sept 1922).

The last photo shows the inside of the Kissel body fabrication operation.  In the relatively small work area are bodies for the speedster, sedan, and touring car.

Graham truck.jpg

11 Packard body making aluminum sheets The Automobile Sept 8, 1910 p408.JPG

10 Sept 22 The Automobile Packard wheel rims steering wheels.JPG

DSC04739 Gold Bug body, Turing and Sedan bodyies.JPG

5 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Manufacturing.

A look inside the confusing years of Dodge Brothers taking over Graham Brothers just before Chrysler took over Dodge Brothers...
As most of you know there are countless other takeovers and consolidation around this pre war era, I think it's interesting to take a peak inside the factories to help us understand certain things. I'll not bore the non Dodge Brothers crowd with the gory details but it's been an intriguing chronological study for the past decade as a researcher. Photos like this give us a visual to things we've read for years.

Assembly plant.jpg

My understanding re the Graham brothers is that they set up the Evansville plant quite early - late teens(?) - and it was only when they became directly involved with Dodge, which was after the deaths of the Dodge brothers,  that the Detroit plant was set up. As noted it was close by the Dodge plant. The Graham brothers became Dodge executives for a few years but I guess they knew all along that Walter Chrysler was keen to buy Dodge and got out at just the right time - with a big wad of cash that allowed them to buy Paige.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Ah so about Graham, Dodge, Chrysler and on to Graham-Paige.  That is interesting history.

And after the Graham brothers went back to farming before WW2 the company continued, and my understanding is that it was the basis of the Kaiser-Frazer car building operation. My copy of The Standard Catalog says the word Motors was dropped in 1950 and it went through multiple ownerships and in 1982 was Madison Square Gardens.

• 2 weeks later...

A used '37 Ford at $339.  Yes, believe I'll take one of those at that price.  One question remains, what make is that shovel nose car in the background?  It appears to not be a Ford nor Chevy.

Used Car 012 37 Ford.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

A used '37 Ford at $339.  Yes, believe I'll take one of those at that price.  One question remains, what make is that shovel nose car in the background?  It appears to not be a Ford nor Chevy.

Used Car 012 37 Ford.jpg

With the emblem in the upper center of the grille?  1934 Plymouth.

• Like 3

On 9/7/2021 at 9:28 AM, LCK81403 said:

Is this a '20-something Marmon?  I have never seen a radiator cap decoration like the one in this photo; have gone through my radiator/hood ornament files but can not find anything that looks like it.  And I don't recognize the steel wheel type.  The "Sam's Tire Shop" cover appears rather underwhelming.

240005779_TerreHaute.jpg.bfc342a0d17439eed42a854b0e02c31c.jpg

1926-'27 Nash, possibly the largest series six.

• Like 2

I believe it is not a Templar.  The attached photo of a yellow 1920 Templar shows that it is a relatively smaller vehicle (and definitely not a competitor of the Kissel Gold Bug).  The blue-gray 26 Nash Advance Six does look a lot more like the mystery vehicle.

240005779_TerreHaute.jpg.bfc342a0d17439eed42a854b0e02c31c.jpg.909dadb0a76d709194c72b34ff98acf7.jpg

20 Templar Rdstr 01-03.jpg

26 Nash Advanced Six 01.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 7:37 AM, alsancle said:

It is going to be 75 degrees,  bright blue skies and low humidity here in the People's Republic today.     But seeing this picture caused shudders to run through me.

Crappy partial snow in the winter circa 1950s.   This is NY but you get the idea.

Winter.jpg

Early 60's.  The Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk behind the '55 Ford is either a '62 or a '63.

• Like 1

Observe the blanket over the hood and radiator to stop the cold and keep in the heat. AND one narrow door at center on the side of the car shown. for really skinny people to enter/exit. Is that two tires mounted in the fender?

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

Walter, I believe your observation of two tires mounted on the fender is correct.  The bottom side of the fender appears to be made to accommodate two tires.

1667297221_snowsedan.jpg.740990b192bc66b8ace61a75e5105e8c - Copy.jpg

1667297221_snowsedan.jpg.740990b192bc66b8ace61a75e5105e8c.jpg

Note also treadless tyres on the front - good for grip in the snow(??). They might be a different size to those on the rear?

Being right hand drive it possibly has at least one, if not more doors, on the left side. 

Possibly Milady's Husband.........."1910 Selfies" In Front of Their Limo.

If this is a Model 32, it was $7,000 when the family bought it new.

The couple were dating in 1916, married in 1917: Mildred Sommer and Norman Wiss, Sr. of Newark, New Jersey. The family had J. Wiss Cutlery, the largest manufacturer of quality scissors in the world.

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 8.46.56 AM.png

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Photo proof that a Model T was everyman's car and adaptable for requirements.  A Model T hooked up to a dirt scraper or scoop.  Most often back in the day, a dirt scraper/scoop used for excavation was pulled by one or more mules or horses.  The scoop was pretty much an open front end steel pan similar to a wheel barrow tub.  One man drove the horse or mule and guided the tool with wheel barrow-like wooden handles.  A somewhat more advanced excavator was the Fresno scraper.  My great-uncle (a WW One vet) dug a basement for a large church using a mule and a dirt scoop.

In the case of the Model T with a dirt scoop, I have to question how much real excavation could be done with that.  The Model T touring is light and 60 years ago I could lift T rear section off the ground.  Hence I wonder about how much traction the 3 x 3 1/2 tires could provide for a dirt scoop.

I never saw Fresno scrapers on any farms that I was on, but several of them had the less expensive dirt scoop.

Ford Model T & dirt scraper.jpg

Dirt scoop 001.jpg

Fresno scraper 002.jpg

Fresno Scraper illustration 001.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/4/2021 at 11:48 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

Jacksonville 1930s

1930s.jpg

I am thinking rear of car is a 1932 Cadillac in a Town Sedan or Town Coupe or possibly a 32 Buick Town Sedan (I would have been quick to say 1931 Cadillac, though the rounded corner trunk would have only on the LaSalle and that would have had different taillamps). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1