Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

A.J. we all need one of those gadgets you show that was in Omnia magazine for the annual get together at the BIG H. in October. What a great flea market piece of machinery, There is so much cool stuff in period magazines like Omnia that most are unaware of , and I am sure that many never heard of Omnia either !

And the period images and education continues on here , GREAT STUFF.  So many things that have not been seen since they were new 80+ years ago. It is refreshing to see new - old  stuff be brought to life again. All of this reinforces that AACA is one of the premier sources for automotive history at the touch of a button.

• Like 1

Taken At The Gatsby Picnic.

Dunsmuir Estate.

Oakland, CA September, 2012

Check out the site. The gallery is a treat.

Gatsby Summer Afternoon

Rolls Royce @The Gatsby 2012.jpg

This one, (although not a period photo) really brought a smile to my face for a few minutes!

Not only did I instantly recognize the place? I KNOW and have ridden in that car!

It has been way too long since I have done the things I most enjoyed in my life. And those Gatsby Picnics were high on that list. I have been to probably ten or twelve of them, years ago. Always great fun. The whole atmosphere was wonderful! The music, the dancing, so many people putting out fancy era picnic displays. I still have my era tables and chairs (chair's patent dates are 1898!) And talk about incredible cars! Model Ts on up to Rolls Royce, and a bunch of them. Even a Stanley steamer went several times, and spent most of the day driving around giving rides to anyone wanting one (also a wonderful longtime good friend of mine!).

There I go, drifting again.

Thank you Walt, again, for a wonderful thread.

• Like 2

As we approach the  80th anniversary of the evacuation of British and allied troops from Dunkirk in Operation  Dynamo this a 1939 Mercury was one of some 65,000 vehicles left in the towns, roads and beaches of northern France and Belgium. Orders were given destroy everything but thousands of captured cars and trucks were reconditioned by the Wehrmacht, most seeing service in Russia. This Mercury appears to carry British army markings and was less than one year old when destroyed, either in battle or by the British Army.  

1939 Mercury at Dunkirk.jpg

• Like 1

I never heard of that chassis lubrication system but I did hear of the car it was fitted to. Here is an advertisement they took in the 1921 N.Y. Salon souvenir catalog.

This and the ad that A.J. has shared with all of us is the only two I have ever seen. There is a lot of incredibly great images and artwork that was printed in the 1914 to 1932 era especially in publications like the souvenir salon programs, periodicals like Motor Life and Motor Print ( which later merged into one magazine) , in Europe the Omnia magazine that A.J. was fortunate enough to recently purchase and I have a collection of as well. I have found that most collectors are not aware of certain material, and if you aren't aware of it you can't seek it out. There were a fair number of sales catalogs on American makes printed and published in France and England - Packard, Buick, Lincoln, Chrysler,  Franklin just to name a few and all totally unlike the stuff published here in the USA. The same goes for European cars sold here in the USA . I have sitting here in front of me a 1921-23 era b & w sales catalog printed in the USA by Walters & Mahon Inc. of N.Y. for Isotta Fraschini (!) for their USA agent for sales on West 44th Street in Manhattan . This will be used in a story I am currently working on for a new quarterly 144 page magazine that has appeared on the automotive scene.

Richealieu1921Saoloncatalog ad001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I never heard of that chassis lubrication system but I did hear of the car it was fitted to. Here is an advertisement they took in the 1921 N.Y. Salon souvenir catalog.

This and the ad that A.J. has shared with all of us is the only two I have ever seen. There is a lot of incredibly great images and artwork that was printed in the 1914 to 1932 era especially in publications like the souvenir salon programs, periodicals like Motor Life and Motor Print ( which later merged into one magazine) , in Europe the Omnia magazine that A.J. was fortunate enough to recently purchase and I have a collection of as well. I have found that most collectors are not aware of certain material, and if you aren't aware of it you can't seek it out. There were a fair number of sales catalogs on American makes printed and published in France and England - Packard, Buick, Lincoln, Chrysler,  Franklin just to name a few and all totally unlike the stuff published here in the USA.

Packard used a Bijur automatic lubricating system.

bijur.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Simplex Crane 1916

Simplex Crane 1916.JPG

Body in the ad is Brewster..........fantastic car.

• Like 1

I believe the cars tucked away were in New Jersey?

Regarding the green wall tires in the Goodrich advertisement. This was a promotion in late 1932. I have a color sales catalog issued by Goodrich of Akron, Ohio that is 24 pages long devoted to these assorted colors that were available. Half the pages were full size 9 1/2 x 12 inches, the other 12 were half size and showed and individual tire with the chosen color ( red, blue, green, gray, etc. ) They state inside ""Which tire will correctly harmonize with the color of my car?" The name on the cover of the catalog is New Feathers for the Peacock. This is not a joke I am serious!!!  I just scanned and sent the pages of the catalog to my good friends Hedi and Chris Charlton of Maine and I expect it will get some mention in the New England Region CCCA magazine that they edit. I only did this within the past 2 days!

I have to much weird stuff in my collection ,

• Like 2

Cadillac offered color “white wall” tires in 1932. I have seen red and green originals, as well as orange tires that was on the Mormon Meteor. I have never seen the publication Walt has.........and Matt Sonfield’s excellent paper on tires of the classic era never mentioned the Goodrich product. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I believe the cars tucked away were in New Jersey?

Regarding the green wall tires in the Goodrich advertisement. This was a promotion in late 1932. I have a color sales catalog issued by Goodrich of Akron, Ohio that is 24 pages long devoted to these assorted colors that were available. Half the pages were full size 9 1/2 x 12 inches, the other 12 were half size and showed and individual tire with the chosen color ( red, blue, green, gray, etc. ) They state inside ""Which tire will correctly harmonize with the color of my car?" The name on the cover of the catalog is New Feathers for the Peacock. This is not a joke I am serious!!!  I just scanned and sent the pages of the catalog to my good friends Hedi and Chris Charlton of Maine and I expect it will get some mention in the New England Region CCCA magazine that they edit. I only did this within the past 2 days!

I have to much weird stuff in my collection ,

Did any manufacturers actually offer them as OEM equipment?

Craig

I have never seen any factory publications offering the colored side wall tires ( even just dealership focused material)  . This was a promotion ( my guessing it didn't last long at all) by Goodrich to see if it could boost sales in anyway possible since the era it was being promoted was just 3 years into the great depression. A friend of mine long since passed away - Les Cutting of Huntington, NY collected cars of the 1914-1929 era, mostly orphans and he also had a collection of odd tread, color, size tires just because he thought they were neat. He didn't have any of these Goodrich tires. Reminds me of a roll of Lifesaver candies.

I had heard of this many years ago, but never noticed any original literature or surviving tires.

I am a lot more familiar with colored and multi colored clincher and straight-side tires of the 1910s. I have seen several magazine colored advertisements from before 1923, and known a few collectors that had decent surviving original tires. One fellow (a Pierce Arrow collector) had about four such tires mounted on his shop walls! Reds, grays, and greens in a variety of combinations of sidewalls and treads. Those I got to get up close to. I have heard of blue.

So much neat stuff in automotive history.

• Like 1