Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

I look at the stainless steel spokes on some of the cars and wonder who cleaned these - guess they had the chauffeur or other hired help do so. What a PITA! I have a 1930 Packard with the stainless steel spokes ( no I did not do that I bought the car that way) and it takes forever to get them wiped off much less polish them. Makes my fingers ache just looking at the period photos thinking of it.😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I Love these shots for Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance of days gone byeAll 68 Best of Show Winners at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

Best Of Show - Pebble Beach

a5552501bbe6e38bd20a81807957538d.jpg

9ecc3d278c5dfc6bd6bcedbdd981e465.jpg

d4038377d1063dddca01f7dc55b46f39.jpg

ee19eda71afbce73840257f15d7c9b63.jpg

Is that a mk 9 jag , actually took a white one as part payment 19k  towards a house in 1985 , unfortunately as business was difficult at the time, kept it in garage for a few months, never drove it and passed it on at cost , pity would love it now.

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

Buster Keaton and his wife (Natalie?) with Packard twin six (3rd series) with custom body by Don Lee. Was this a cape top, with a detachable extension to the windshield?

Keaton.jpg

Victoria top with extension

I think West found the first set(and only?) of this car back about five years ago. All the Individual Custom Dietrich’s are fantastic cars. It’s amazing the scholarship that has been learned and published on them over the years. They certainly are among the most beautiful designs to ever drive down the road. Personally, I’m a side mount kind of guy. On this sedan, the rear spare makes for a graceful and unusual look. The black and chrome of the Maybelline car is very elegant and well executed. He also owned a bunch of other great cars, including a Packard Darrin. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I think West found the first set(and only?) of this car back about five years ago. All the Individual Custom Dietrich’s are fantastic cars. It’s amazing the scholarship that has been learned and published on them over the years. They certainly are among the most beautiful designs to ever drive down the road. Personally, I’m a side mount kind of guy. On this sedan, the rear spare makes for a graceful and unusual look. The black and chrome of the Maybelline car is very elegant and well executed. He also owned a bunch of other great cars, including a Packard Darrin. 

https://www.maybellinebook.com/2012/01/on-hunt-for-tl-williams-1934-packard.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, if that chain broke the driver's arm could be in serious danger.  The printed text on the photos says it is the Grand Prix, 6 and 7 July 1908.

1198013421_BrasierwithThery.jpg.02ccc89abf534c4d9e9fabd7f5f7bfd0[1].jpg

It is a little disheartening to see the condition of this Mercedes.  The front bumper is munched, the right driving light is misaligned, and the left front tire appears to be bald.  It's a movie prop but still it is a Mercedes and not a Laurel and Hardy Model T Ford.

Mercedes-Benz.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

It is a little disheartening to see the condition of this Mercedes.  The front bumper is munched, the right driving light is misaligned, and the left front tire appears to be bald.  It's a movie prop but still it is a Mercedes and not a Laurel and Hardy Model T Ford.

Mercedes-Benz.jpg

It's actually a Chrysler with a Mercedes radiator shell.

1933 Chrysler Imp.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The 1908 BrownieKar.  1908 must have been part of the good times.  Real motor cars for children, kerosene side lamps, no windshield, no seat belts.  No driver's license.  What could go wrong?

08 Browniekar Clymer Scrapbook Nr6 p84.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

The 1908 BrownieKar.  1908 must have been part of the good times.  Real motor cars for children, kerosene side lamps, no windshield, no seat belts.  No driver's license.  What could go wrong?

08 Browniekar Clymer Scrapbook Nr6 p84.JPG

I knew an older gentleman many years ago who drove an early Model T to and from school when he was 12-13 when he lived in Northern Alberta.  When he was 13, the provincial government started issuing driver's licences to operate a motor vehicle, and set the minimum age at 16.  He was not the only one who drove a car to and from his middle school, as he mentioned a police officer came around one day, and made the announcement that the students could no longer legally drive a motor vehicle to school unless they were 16 or older and applied for a driver's licence.  I do not know exactly what year, Alberta started issuing driver's licences, but I do know 1912 was the first year the province issued porcelain-on-steel licence plates.

Craig

Austin Clark had a Browniekar that was unrestored at his house in Glen Cove, NY. he sold it to me and I eventually sold it to my friend Walter McCarthy of Huntington, NY.  All of this taking place 30+ years or more ago.