Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

German Empire, car: 8-cylinder 16/80 hp Minerva coupe cabriolet Neuss - Photographer: Zander & Labisch - Published by: 'Die Dame' 11/1931 Vintage property of ullstein bild

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) German Empire, car: 8-cylinder 16/80 hp Minerva coupe cabriolet Neuss - Photographer: Zander & Labisch - Published by: 'Die Dame' 11/1931 Vintage property of ullstein bild (Photo by Zander & Labisch/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

German Empire, car: 8-cylinder 16/80 hp Minerva coupe cabriolet Neuss - Photographer: Zander & Labisch - Published by: 'Die Dame' 11/1931  Vintage property of ullstein bild : News Photo

• Like 1

Massary, Fritzi /1

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Fritzi Massary*21.03.1882-30.01.1969+Sängerin, Schauspielerin, Österreich (eigentlich Friederike Masareck)- Ganzkörperaufnahme, steht mit ihren Malteser Hunden vor ihrem 22/70PS Maybach Kabriolett, im Hintergrund die Siegessäule in Berlin- veröffentlicht in Dame 3/1926- Aufnahme: Zander & Labisch (Photo by Zander & Labisch/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Massary, Fritzi /1 : News Photo

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Luxuswagen

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Mercedes-Benz SS Sport KabriolettDer teuerste Wagen auf der PariserAutoausstellung ( 54 000 Mark )- 1928Foto: Hans Henschke (Photo by Hans Henschke/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Luxuswagen : News Photo

2012 Pebble Beach Best of Show

• Thanks 1

Lasall-Roadster mit Besitzerin Frau Direktor Hilles

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Preisgekrönter Lasall-Roadster mit Besitzerin Frau Direktor Hilles, Berlin- veröff. in Dame 24/1927Foto: Zander & Labisch (Photo by Zander & Labisch/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Lasall-Roadster mit Besitzerin Frau Direktor Hilles : News Photo

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Delahaye 135 At Paris Motor Show

Visitors viewing a Delahaye 135 sports tourer, with coachwork by Figoni & Falaschi, at the 35th Paris Motor Show, held at the Grand Palais, Paris, October 1948. (Photo by Yale Joel/The LIFE Picture Collection via Getty Images)

Delahaye 135 At Paris  Motor Show : News Photo

Delahaye At Paris  Motor Show : News Photo

I hadn’t seen this car before but It occurred to me , that there’s a marked similarity in front styling to my first car a 1952 Austin A40 Somerset , makes me wonder if the bmc designers were influenced subconsciously or deliberately 😊

7322F523-A721-4127-91D7-6F90743AEB5B.jpeg

Edited by Pilgrim65
Found photo (see edit history)

1912 John-Morris-Belsize Fire Engine delivered to Southampton Fire Brigade (England) in December 1912. Huge 6 cylinder  15  litre engine  and named "Madeleine" which was the name of the Mayor's wife.

Preserved in full working order at the Whitewebbs Museum, near London. The only known survivor of her kind. 

Belsize0001.jpg

• Thanks 1

I live in Southampton Uk , perhaps my grandparents would have seen the magnificent beast or it may have attended the family house when bombed in WW2 if it was still being used ( unfortunately parents and grandparents gone so no  way of checking , but very likely I think as my grandmother had shop near St Mary’s fire station and must have seen it frequently . )

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bob Jacobsen said:

Anyone ever seen this 1940 Packard 180 STEAM Car?

(Courtesy of Thomas C. Marshall collection)

islandora_2479122_JPG.jpg

islandora_2479391_JPG.jpg

Yes, it was done during the war by T. Clarence Marshall and has been covered in an old thread. Needless to say it was not a very successful conversion. I remember seeing the car at the time but don't recall ever seeing it running. Perhaps StanleyRegister will provide an update.

26 minutes ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

Yes, it was done during the war by T. Clarence Marshall and has been covered in an old thread. Needless to say it was not a very successful conversion. I remember seeing the car at the time but don't recall ever seeing it running. Perhaps StanleyRegister will provide an update.

I can't imagine a 20HP Stanley engine pushing something that heavy.   The boiler looks different than your typical Stanley one.

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

I live in Southampton Uk , perhaps my grandparents would have seen the magnificent beast or it may have attended the family house when bombed in WW2 if it was still being used ( unfortunately parents and grandparents gone so no  way of checking , but very likely I think as my grandmother had shop near St Mary’s fire station and must have seen it frequently . )

She was part exchanged with Dennis Bros, Guildford  c1929. Dennis then sold her to Billings Printers (part of Caxton Press) as works engine and she remained with them until 1961, when acquired for preservation for the sum of £50 estimated to be her scrap value. She was used during WW2 when Guildford was bombed.  Southampton must have been pleased with her as they bought a smaller 4 cylinder version in 1915, named "Ada". She was scrapped in 1932. 

• Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Colin Spong said:

She was part exchanged with Dennis Bros, Guildford  c1929. Dennis then sold her to Billings Printers (part of Caxton Press) as works engine and she remained with them until 1961, when acquired for preservation for the sum of £50 estimated to be her scrap value. She was used during WW2 when Guildford was bombed.  Southampton must have been pleased with her as they bought a smaller 4 cylinder version in 1915, named "Ada". She was scrapped in 1932. 

Great info Colin thanks 

grandmother may not have seen her then as think she started trading in Southampton in the 30s , must have been fire crew from Ada who rescued my Mother when bombed out then , bless them .

In J. Mereness' photo of the Delahaye 135 at the 1948 Paris motor show, there are many banners with manufacturers' names overhead.  At the very back is the Saurer banner.  Saurer was a Swiss company that made cars and trucks since 1897 and had a truck division in the U.S.  The U.S. group merged with Mack to form International Motor Co. after a Saurer truck made the first transcontinental trip across the U.S. in 1911.  There is a book, "A Grand Adventure" by Ron Corbett, about the journey, a good read if you can find a copy.

A_Grand_Adventure_cover.jpg.260ac4877cd96b78aaf3ea776a2004aa.jpg

The book cover with colorized photo.

Saurer1911.jpg.bcc7b6ab68c6a508e52b7c3c9bec8768.jpg

The Saurer truck on its difficult way across the U.S. in 1911.  There were no roads out west.

695690556_saurer-mackad.jpg.349bad1e64eef4c0cfc6202e73bd6111.jpg

A nephew of the Swiss Saurer family came to the U.S. to work at the truck factory in NJ, but soon moved on to work for Firestone.  Curt Saurer was a whiz at designing rubber things using the elastic and compressive properties of rubber, eventually had about 50 patents.  One of his inventions was the set of rubber doughnuts used as engine mounts in many cars.

Curt_Saurer_circa_1960.jpg.db0262705ec53bdf22c7a6d7b8615c25.jpg

Curt Saurer, circa 1960.

patent_dwg_1977896.thumb.JPG.f045e847a5738c64711c1ff248f694b0.JPG

Curt Saurer's patent for a rubber vibration isolation mount.

348822920_blitzenbenzatInternationalMotor-Macktruck.thumb.jpg.365b7e205bcc874b27a3d70a264d385c.jpg

Here is one of the early Saurer/Mack trucks outside the headquarters building with the Blitzen Benz race car on board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is a picture of the garage of the Morrisons of Spring Lake, NJ. My grandfather was Chauffuer to Mrs, Morrison and drove the Lincoln. His Brother was chauffuer to Mr Morrison. I'm not sure which car he drove or why they needed four cars. I believe the house and garage still exists. Mr Morrison was somehow connected to the coal industry I believe.

Image preview

3 hours ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

Yes, Mr. Marshall was disappointed with the performance.  It sat for a very long time and was eventually given to a member of the Friends of Auburn Heights, who has given it stronger burner performance and is not far from getting it on the road.

It's a huge amount of weight for a 20hp engine to push around.  But it will probably move ok with lots of firepower.  The capacity of the burner is typically the biggest determining factor for a nice drive in a steamer.

By the way, in that interior shot, you can see the standard Stanley reverse and hookup pedal in the left position.  And no accelerator pedal - he used the original gearshift lever for the throttle.

• Thanks 2