Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The electric brougham is a Flanders 1912. rear of photo written in ink says "pathfinder starting ( meaning the Pathfinder tour not the Pathfinder car) for New Orleans from Detroit."

The Delahaye coupe has European license plates but possibly was for sale by Inskip in New York City in the early 1950s. Has to be the largest set of fender skirts I have ever seen on a car.

Delehayecoupepc001.jpg

Flanderselectric1912001.jpg

• Like 5

Peter Fawcett finished restoring a roadster for an American fellow three years ago. So few were built was wondering if this is the same car.

They are now rebuilding a K touring rear axle with major issues.

A few more : the bus is in Europe and 😀 perhaps is a racing version  with the pipes coming out of the hood side? 😁😁 maybe this photo should be in the Racing car images section!

I don't know what the small light weight touring car is, but think it is European even though the photo was taken in New York by the Apedia studios.

Enjoy everyone, thank you for your continued support of this thread and all the threads , I think it keeps us all connected 'to the era' of pre WWII and also connected to each other because of our interest in old cars. AACA is the best remember you wouldn't be seeing this now if it weren't for their efforts.

PS I most likely will start another thread next week here with a slight variation but a similar time era. I don't want to overload the forums, so asked Steve M. if he thought it would be totally crazy and he said DO IT! With those elaborate words of encouragement I will get it started.

BUsEurope1920s001.jpg

UNKNOWNapediaphoto001.jpg

I wonder if the "lightweight" touring car is considered a "cyclecar"? They were far more popular in Europe and England due to the horsepower taxation systems used there. The popularity in the USA was only from about 1912 to '15. The Europeans continued building small lightweight cars with one or two cylinder motors for many decades. Many of the companies offered light elegant automobiles that tried to appear as full size cars. That looks to be one such car. I wonder if they would have called that a "skiff"?

On 5/7/2020 at 8:51 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Bet you all know what this one is!  It was restored and now rests in the GM collection.

20200507081212985_0001.jpg

I have been there a number of times and I do not remember seeing this vehicle.  I will need to make a special point of looking it up the next time I am  there.

On 5/13/2020 at 10:55 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

Now, for something completely obscure and largely unknown, even among old car people: the 1930-1932 Hupmobile Deluxe and Custom Eights Models H and U.    With their best sales year in 1928, Hupmobile in November 1928 bought the Chandler-Cleveland Motor Corporation of Cleveland, Ohio to gain more production capacity in anticipation of greater sales for 1929 and beyond.  With that purchase came the 1929 Chandler Royal Eight 85, upper medium-priced line around $2,000, on a 124" wheelbase, powered by a 340 cu. in. L-Head straight eight.  The Chandler Royal Eight 85 was a step up from their top-line 1929 Hupmobile Eight Model M, 120" wheelbase, 268 cu. in. priced $1,825-$1,955.

For the 1930 model year, Chandler was gone, in its place were these new Hupmobile Eights, Model H 125" and Model U 137" wheelbase, 133 Horsepower 365 cu. in. L-head straight eights, priced $2,100 for the H, the U aa a $2,495 7-passenger sedan, at $2,645 for the limousine.  Clearly, Hupmobile was now trying to enter the crowded segment populated by Packard Standard Eight, LaSalle, Studebaker President, Graham-Paige 827 & 837, Gardner 150, Elcar 130, soon REO Royale, Nash Ambassador and Buick Eight 90.  In the late 1920's booming market, this was the emergent lucrative segment most of the medium-priced carmakers were going to cash-in on, chasing the lead of Packard and LaSalle.  Timing wasn't on their side...

Once they were on the market, Hupmobile rode it out in hopes the Depression would abate and these become profitable as did so many other carmakers.  From The Production Figure Book of U. S. Cars by Jerry Heasley, copyright 1977, for the three model years 1930-1932, Model H: 3,468; Model U: 690 (702 by other sources).    While a few Model H examples do turn up, one at Hershey years ago, does anyone know of or has seen a Custom Eight Model U or U-237.  The Model U had a luxuriously appointed body by Raulang of Cleveland.   In addition to the sedans, a Victoria Coupe on the 137" wheelbase was added for 1931-1932 seasons.

1930-'32 Hupmobile Custom Eight Models H & U.JPG

1930-'32 Hupmobile Custom Eight Model U & U-237.JPG

1930-'32 Hupmobile Custom Eight Victoria Model U.jpg

Was going to remark about your post when you made it but I'm finally getting around to it.  I've been waiting for a model U to pop up for 20 years.   To the best of my knowledge not one has shown their face if they still exist.

Would like to find some period images,  as I question if any were actually built.

A. J.  The only period evidence of their existence I've found is the brief appearance of one in the 1930 home movie of the Binghamton, NY Packard dealership I posted the YouTube link to in the AACA Forum Hupmobile section.  Period photos seem to be elusive, though every carmaker typically did issue press kits with 8" X 10" glossy images of their new cars.   In a conversation with a major Hupmobile collector in Connecticut a few years ago, he told me four Model U Hupmobiles were still extant, three sedans and one Victoria coupe.  I too would love to see one in the metal.

Here is the video link, at 2:38 to 2:40 the Hupmobile Custom Eight sedan drives by:

Thanks for raising the subject again, I wondered if anyone noticed my original posting.  Such are the hazards of fascination with the extreme obscure...

Edited by 58L-Y8
postscript added, added vido link (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A. J.  The only period evidence of their existence I've found is the brief appearance of one in the 1930 home movie of the Binghamton, NY Packard dealership I posted the YouTube link to in the AACA Forum Hupmobile section.  Period photos seem to be elusive, though every carmaker typically did issue press kits with 8" X 10" glossy images of their new cars.   In a conversation with a major Hupmobile collector in Connecticut a few years ago, he told me four Model U Hupmobiles were still extant, three sedans and one Victoria coupe.  I too would love to see one in the metal.

Thanks for raising the subject again, I wondered if anyone noticed my original posting.  Such are the hazards of fascination with the extreme obscure...

I would love to see that Victoria.  Is the body builder Murray?  

A. J. No mention was made of Model U body builders other than Raulang.  Analyzing the design, it looks to be the same components through the B-Pillar as the sedan, only the body reward from the B-pillar looks unique which should have been easy for Raulang to create.  My understanding is that Murray built their other model series production bodies, Amos Northup designed the Century series.  There are similarities with the Murray-built Victoria body for REO and Lincoln KA, that may be simply coincidence.  Just my hunch, Northup or Andrade designed the bodies that Raulang built.  Maybe even Ray Dietrich popped in to assist...

3 hours ago, twin6 said:

Bentley.jpg

AWESOME !!!

I am guessing someone was just walking down the street and said this should be interesting to watch (the car appears incidental to the group of people behind - I am almost wondering a pedestrian was hit in street) - and then the photo survived. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Close call with this page almost getting lost - I do not know if realized, but despite a few minor faults, this page is one of the finest data bases of historic photos Pre-WWII probably ever assembled in any form that can be readily indexed (Facebook is a bear and ...); and also includes some very significant post-WWII photos too via being  beautifully photographed - a data base to repopulate the photo stock on such as Facebook for quite a while to come.  A few photo that made their debut in public for the first time ever.  A few photo that were enlarged to find hidden gems in the background - cars of legend and no photos to support.  And ....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

For the fire engine crowd - these were built in my home town by Bickle and the factory that is in the background still stands as does the house beside it - in fact once this lock down passes by the house is now home to very nice, all be it bit pricey restaurant - SixThirtyNine .  Alternatively there is a Dairy Queen directly in front of the factory now.   Bickle became Bickle Seagrave and then King Seagrave and the second location that they moved to still stands as well, though they no longer make fire apparatus there.  

Original Digital material not accessible

C2VKW64NKNAT7LYSYNU3KDANRU

Reported to be a Studebaker 

1218-GS-2Yates-e1576257107852.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

Reported to be a REO

From what I can find the last two trucks still exist

• Like 1

I found this on the London, Ontario, Canada - the other London, firefighters archive - some very interesting vehicles shown there but this one caught my attention if anyone has any information to add I'd be interested

Circa 1920 - Rectory St. L-R: Edyvane, Bolton, ?, Gower, ?, Hamilton

Fabulous! It has to be one of the finest collections of mostly incredible prewar cars I have ever seen on the internet!

To celebrate, my wife's grandfather, standing next to one of the Pickwick Stages buses he drove in the late 1920s. He told me it was a Pierce Arrow bus, but I never confirmed that. He drove a very difficult and often very muddy area on California's Northern coast routes.

My Grandfather Shirley Eugene Callihan.JPG

• Thanks 1

1928 Chrysler 72 Sport Roadster.

The information accompanying the photo reads:

A new sport roadster with rumble seat on the 72 chassis is announced by Chrysler at $1595.  Equipment features include a folding windshield, with nickeled stanchions; drum-type nickeled headlamps; nickeled tail lamp; chrome-plated cowl band with nickel-plated side lamps; gold compartment, floating type front seat; twin cushions of saddle spring type with hand-buffed, pig grain, tan colored leather, with split leather to match in the rumble seat.  A light tan top blends harmoniously with the rich thorn brown color.  An attractive lighter tone of Moorish-brown is used on beads, with gold bronze striping and a bright swamp holly orange on the narrow streamline panels.  Moorish brown is also used effectively on fenders, splash guards, hood sills, radiator dust shields, gasoline tank, spring horns and bumpers.

28 Chrysler 72 Sport Roadster Clymer Scrapbook Nr6 p184.JPG

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

A new sport roadster with rumble seat on the 72 chassis is announced by Chrysler at $1595.  Equipment features include a folding windshield, with nickeled stanchions; drum-type nickeled headlamps; nickeled tail lamp; chrome-plated cowl band with nickel-plated side lamps; gold compartment, floating type front seat; twin cushions of saddle spring type with hand-buffed, pig grain, tan colored leather, with split leather to match in the rumble seat.  A light tan top blends harmoniously with the rich thorn brown color.  An attractive lighter tone of Moorish-brown is used on beads, with gold bronze striping and a bright swamp holly orange on the narrow streamline panels.  Moorish brown is also used effectively on fenders, splash guards, hood sills, radiator dust shields, gasoline tank, spring horns and bumpers.

This looks more like a Mercedes than a Chrysler to me. Its a fantastic photo either way. 

10 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

As I commented above,  a Mercedes Benz S  170/225.

Now this car actually is a Chrysler CL,  and NOT a Mercedes.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, twin6 said:

towncar.jpg

The survival rate of big sedans of this period is low as they often do not fit under a standard height garage door verses a touring or roasster that you can put the top down to get into the garage (same with closed electric cars - too tall matched to expensive batteries). 

• Like 1