Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

42 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Good look in color, trim, and equipment 

I agree......and it’s all exactly how it left the factory with the exception of some bolt on chrome bling.........Original colors inside and out. Just finished a final dial in and tune..........drove it around today. It’s one of the best running and driving 16’s on the planet.........And I probably have driven 40 or 50 early 16’s over the last 41 years.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Can someone photoshop this in black & white ......…………...PLEASE!

A little scary that way eh...

Litwinski_Gooding_343_bw.thumb.jpg.8a62204d0411db07e5447f4667072a14.jpg

Here's the auction that photo came from -

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1927-packard-343-convertible-sedan/

Auction text and a couple more photos here -

https://coachbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1905

Edited by StanleyRegister
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, StanleyRegister said:

A little scary that way eh...

Litwinski_Gooding_343_bw.thumb.jpg.8a62204d0411db07e5447f4667072a14.jpg

Here's the auction that photo came from -

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1927-packard-343-convertible-sedan/

Auction text and a couple more photos here -

https://coachbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1905

NEVER in a thousand years would I have thought that horrid color was correct. Bob 

Magnificent!  This is the first time I've seen this 1934 Pierce-Arrow Twelve sport coupe by Brunn.  It was photographed in Delaware Park which was the place where Brunn took most of their new coach-built cars for documentation.  The Albright-Knox Art Galley is in the park and also a popular place for such photos.

This Pierce-Arrow perfectly illustrates what the designers were after: an unbroken sweep of the eye as it traces the hood length, all the marvelous details and ends in the jaunty spare mounting angle.  Less is More, illustrated to a "T"! 

'34 Pierce-Arrow Twelve coupe by Brunn.jpg

• Like 2

They built two or three Brunn coupes.........I have photos of a different car with side mounts. To my knowledge the Brunn coupe photos have never peen published before. We were keeping photos of the side mount car for a future book publication.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed. We'll still eagerly buy the book.  When can we expect it to be available?

Currently just an idea to publish one some day. I have a bunch of unpublished photos of many different cars, some with celebrities. In my old age I’ll try and get to it......figure 15 years.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed,  Don't wait too long, some of us may no longer be around then to appreciate your efforts and buy copies...

Even today, it won’t be a viable money maker. Just a project to do in my old age. Fortunately desktop publishing and small batch printing are not too expensive. If I sold five hundred books, I would be surprised. I may just end up selling all the photos to someone else. If I do, I’m not sure I will be able to keep copies.

• Like 3

58L-Y8 said: This Pierce-Arrow perfectly illustrates what the designers were after: an unbroken sweep of the eye as it traces the hood length, all the marvelous details and ends in the jaunty spare mounting angle.  Less is More, illustrated to a "T"! 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. PA lovers may see this as a pinnacle of PA design of the period. But I see many flaws from my "styling" sense. Firstly from an overall perspective, the front half is early 1930's evolution, and the back half is mid-late 1930's "new style", 1933-1935 being often seen as transition years for most car companies. Ths transition is most obvious in the awkward belt line, which struggles to blend both halves with an uncomfortable bubble in the middle. I've never liked the PA bugeye lights, but that's their trademark, they only got them correct starting with the Silver Arrow. The hood side doors seem arbitrarily placed, seems they could have been centered. More awkaward is the rather pedestrian "golf club door" which seems to have been just stamped out in such a plain square. finally, the 3rd top hinge on the doors seems a poor engineering choice. It's attempt to resolve with the A pillar and beltiline is bound to fail visually. And the spare, meh, would be better and more practical in the trunk, and a removable trunk rack available for touring. JMHO 

Why comment at all? When someone suggests "perfectly illustrates", I think others have a tendency to be more critical than if someone uses a less unequivical term. Uniqueness and rarity don't always add up to perfection.  

5 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Curious where this photo came from/was found  ? 

If I told you, I would have to kill you...........

Its my understanding that Marge Brunn had them in the 79’s and sold them to a friend in the PAS. I bought lots of stuff from her in the 80’s. Paid all the money, and now, much of it has slowly worked its way out, even though I was under the impression no one else had Ever seen them, never mind copied them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

58L-Y8 said: This Pierce-Arrow perfectly illustrates what the designers were after: an unbroken sweep of the eye as it traces the hood length, all the marvelous details and ends in the jaunty spare mounting angle.  Less is More, illustrated to a "T"! 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. PA lovers may see this as a pinnacle of PA design of the period. But I see many flaws from my "styling" sense. Firstly from an overall perspective, the front half is early 1930's evolution, and the back half is mid-late 1930's "new style", 1933-1935 being often seen as transition years for most car companies. Ths transition is most obvious in the awkward belt line, which struggles to blend both halves with an uncomfortable bubble in the middle. I've never liked the PA bugeye lights, but that's their trademark, they only got them correct starting with the Silver Arrow. The hood side doors seem arbitrarily placed, seems they could have been centered. More awkaward is the rather pedestrian "golf club door" which seems to have been just stamped out in such a plain square. finally, the 3rd top hinge on the doors seems a poor engineering choice. It's attempt to resolve with the A pillar and beltiline is bound to fail visually. And the spare, meh, would be better and more practical in the trunk, and a removable trunk rack available for touring. JMHO 

Why comment at all? When someone suggests "perfectly illustrates", I think others have a tendency to be more critical than if someone uses a less unequivical term. Uniqueness and rarity don't always add up to perfection.  

That belt line is the focal point, boa constrictor after dinner look just doesn't look right to me. Bob 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

If I told you, I would have to kill you...........

Its my understanding that Marge Brunn had them in the 79’s and sold them to a friend in the PAS. I bought lots of stuff from her in the 80’s. Paid all the money, and now, much of it has slowly worked its way out, even though I was under the impression no one else had Ever seen them, never mind copied them.

That answers that, but where do you think they were meant to be publiched via having the Japneese wording on them ? 

While earlier this week, I posted some rather rare period color images, this is a modem reproduction done yesterday  by Patty @ imbued In Hues 

It has an odd duck license plate on it - I am thinking at top it reads "Michigan 1934" while I believe their plates generally read "19 Michigan 34" and not right colors for 34 (which was a light background and dark letters) - I am guessing a GM Manufacturer plate. And not a registered car as no plate on rear.

96833283_1526641427503939_423701405673455616_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=uZ6DP_pT1nsAX_j9EeI&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=7a1f22913fa301530f667cecd20ccee2&oe=5EE56EE5

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

While earlier this week, I posted some rather rare period color images, this is a modem reproduction done yesterday  by Patty @ imbued In Hues 

It has an odd duck license plate on it - I am thinking at top it reads "Michigan 1934" while I believe their plates generally read "19 Michigan 34" and not right colors for 34 (which was a light background and dark letters) - I am guessing a GM Manufacturer plate. And not a registered car as no plate on rear.

96833283_1526641427503939_423701405673455616_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=uZ6DP_pT1nsAX_j9EeI&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=7a1f22913fa301530f667cecd20ccee2&oe=5EE56EE5

By the way, nearly a lost art, but my parent's had a house with awnings and they were great for keeping a house cool in summer (even with Air Conditioning) - their awnings were lined with gloss white vinyl with made house brighter inside  - a service came each year to put up, take down, clean, and repair. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

built for the same guy that owned the Royale roadster.  You can buy it now as it is for sale.

I am taking a vacation for a while before touching another RR - I will gladly hold a beer or other drink in my hand while offering advise though.

Sidenote:  In design and looks - pretty good and especially like the running board style and how rear fender wraps into them

9 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I was leaning toward a Graham or ... - are you sure DB ?

Actually the closer I look the more it looks like a 1930 DeSoto CF8. Graham has a different belt molding and fender mounted parking lamps.

1930 DeSoto CF8.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

302354-1589368609-2241632.jpg?_ga=2.102285441.1405287963.1589653486-2036664847.1585472820

Note that both the Esders Roadster and the Rolls PII  have no headlights.  Dr. Armand Esders ordered both cars and didn't want to ruin the lines with headlights.  He said he would never drive at night.

1932 Rolls-Royce Phantom VII | Classic Driver Market

Bugatti Legends Type 41 La Royale – A royal vehicle |

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2