1931 Cadillac V12 coupe value?

CBGSTYLES

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Somebody who is around 65 said something to me last year that hit home.   "I'm running out of time to do the projects I wanted to get done".  

Too bad your almost 65 .........OLD man.

11 hours ago, m-mman said:

Back to the V12 Cad. I strongly suspect that it was parked FOR A REASON. 

Not necessarily as to a reason, having been around them, they can be a pain when you need fuel from the gasoline tank to the carb after sitting a few months - such alone deters a lot of people as it is a lot of work when such happens.  This 31 could need nothing really nothing in mechanical parts or a few 100 dollars.  The flip side of the coin is it could be a nightmare.  I guess my point is that it gets down to price and MOST non-runners need a wiggle room in price (I say Most is there are some things that it just does not matter - Stuff that has Concours potential you just pay the price and stuff like Model A Ford where parts are easily obtainable).  A 1931 Cadillac does not scare me (Dad and I have had seven of them and countless friends who have and have had them) - that said though equally best to not stumble into if you are not use to them. It appears solid enough that I would say some negotiation and then try your hand at it - if it is for you then fine and if not then hopefully you get it to a better place for the next guy. I will say though it is a car where marginal work results in pennies on the dollar, while excellent work returns on investment - though equally can get you in the hole quick. 

By the way, this car reminds me of a story:  The first person on the scene gets hit with the high price (and offends when they negotiate and gets knocked off the plate and/or walks away) and the last person on the scene gets a good price, but the car was probably best in the hands of the first person. 

• Like 2

I agree with John, maybe it needs nothing......or maybe it needs everything. The question is, do you want to gamble 50k , take it on take it on the chin,  and pour in another 25k? You can do an asshxxe rebuild on an eight for a few grand if you know what your doing, have the time, and do the labor yourself. Usually the 12’s and 16’s I trip over have bad valves or a rod knock. A “cheap” asshxxe rebuild of a exotic is an EASY 35k for a crap job. And 75 for it to be right. Years ago I always looked for cars that were “nice” with a bad engine, as I could usually fix them fast and reasonable as far as money goes. Today, not so much. On top of that,  after all the years of learning, the lessons I have learned for car I am going to KEEP..........buy the best you can when you see it........and figure out how to pay for it later..........good stuff is hard to find.

Again, every car I buy today I consider my “time left” equation, cars to flip have a different calculus. And buying a car to flip today is a BIG gamble unless you pay almost nothing for it.

PS- lately MANY cars I have been working on or helping out on have bad block/head/casting issues, just like the car Matt had that can not be mentioned. The good of all this? The sorted, running and driving cars are now “the bargain” of the old car hobby. The projects no longer dig into the finished car for sale stuff...........thus, if your sitting on lots of projects, you need to find dreamers who like cars and have money.......not easy to do.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Somebody who is around 65 said something to me last year that hit home.   "I'm running out of time to do the projects I wanted to get done".  

I wish I were in my 60s but still plugging away. It kind of got gas, oil and antifreeze in my blood I guess.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:05 PM, Johan Boltendal said:

John , as you know, the carb on the V-8 looks simple,  but is a precision instrument, as is the distributor , both set well they will hardly give any trouble. 😉

I never had problems getting the cars to run well and we put 1000's of miles on the two favorites - the problem usually came about 5:00 on a Sunday afternoon on the way home from a AACA tour and the carb suffered so much from "heat sink" being in the valley that there was just nothing left often than to pull car off road for to hours and let everything cool down.  Could I maybe have improved with an electric pump - yes, but that is a whole problem in itself given carb design.  Could I put a downdraft carb on it - yes, but not proper and again a whole problem in itself.  What was our solution:  My parents sold all the 1931's and started driving my 1941 Cadillac 60 Special Fleetwood, as well as using their 1930 Franklin more. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I never had problems getting the cars to run well and we put 1000's of miles on the two favorites - the problem usually came about 5:00 on a Sunday afternoon on the way home from a AACA tour and the carb suffered so much from "heat sink" being in the valley that there was just nothing left often than to pull car off road for to hours and let everything cool down.  Could I maybe have improved with an electric pump - yes, but that is a whole problem in itself given carb design.  Could I put a downdraft carb on it - yes, but not proper and again a whole problem in itself.  What was our solution:  My parents sold all the 1931's and started driving my 1941 Cadillac 60 Special Fleetwood, as well as using their 1930 Franklin more. 

I find that the Johnston carb yes can be very finicky on the Cadillac V8. I rebuilt my own 1930  making one change I learnt from an old V8 & V12 Cadillac friend who is no longer with us.  I also have an electric fuel pump  (3/4 lb pressure )and have been touring in events on both sides of the boarder. My car runs great with high speed  gears never having  to pull over for any engine problems past 8 years whether on tour in the hotter Carolina's the mountains in Pa.  or here in Canada.

I rebuilt a 1930 carb in the parking lot on the New Hampshire Glidden tour for another fellow that had flooding problems and he used a vacuum tank. As far as I know he had no problems after that but a great fellow who is also no longer with us.  Seems the older you get the fewer friends you have but not in a good way. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Remarkably enough, my '29 Cadillac has been running for 10 years on an electric pump without issues. Everyone says it can't be done, but the thing has been bulletproof reliable and never missed a beat. I have a vacuum tank on the shelf and even devised a way to incorporate both systems, but the thing runs so well I'm unwilling to mess with it. It does have a rather heavy-duty pressure regulator on it, not one of those generic dial-type units, and I just re-plumbed it with 5/16" hard line, but the rest works just fine. Once once have I suffered any vapor-lock type illness with it and it was inexplicable other than it was a hot day, I was in traffic, and I missed every single red light along the way so it kept getting hotter and hotter. But that was the only time in perhaps 10,000 miles of driving that it has ever hiccuped due to a fuel-related issue. No, it's not "right" but my inclination with something like this is that if it's working, don't mess with it. It's the same reason why I'm loathe to disassemble the cooling system on my '41 even though the water pump bearing is a little noisy and the radiator is seeping at the top tank--the sucker runs ice cold no matter what and I don't want to risk losing that.

Right is always right, but it pains me a great deal to say that sometimes I still think it's better to leave well enough alone.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I find that the Johnston carb yes can be very finicky on the Cadillac V8. I rebuilt my own 1930  making one change I learnt from an old V8 & V12 Cadillac friend who is no longer with us.  I also have an electric fuel pump  (3/4 lb pressure )and have been touring in events on both sides of the boarder. My car runs great with high speed  gears never having  to pull over for any engine problems past 8 years whether on tour in the hotter Carolina's the mountains in Pa.  or here in Canada.

I rebuilt a 1930 carb in the parking lot on the New Hampshire Glidden tour for another fellow that had flooding problems and he used a vacuum tank. As far as I know he had no problems after that but a great fellow who is also no longer with us.  Seems the older you get the fewer friends you have but not in a good way. 

Most people are not driving their 31's (and related years) to and from events and for hours upon hours straight - the bulk of our cars are road driven 100% of the time (aka no trailers), albeit during shake down and restoration I have seen plenty of trailer time matched to a few things that we restored that we did not enjoy driving. 

21 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Remarkably enough, my '29 Cadillac has been running for 10 years on an electric pump without issues. Everyone says it can't be done, but the thing has been bulletproof reliable and never missed a beat. I have a vacuum tank on the shelf and even devised a way to incorporate both systems, but the thing runs so well I'm unwilling to mess with it. It does have a rather heavy-duty pressure regulator on it, not one of those generic dial-type units, and I just re-plumbed it with 5/16" hard line, but the rest works just fine. Once once have I suffered any vapor-lock type illness with it and it was inexplicable other than it was a hot day, I was in traffic, and I missed every single red light along the way so it kept getting hotter and hotter. But that was the only time in perhaps 10,000 miles of driving that it has ever hiccuped due to a fuel-related issue. No, it's not "right" but my inclination with something like this is that if it's working, don't mess with it. It's the same reason why I'm loathe to disassemble the cooling system on my '41 even though the water pump bearing is a little noisy and the radiator is seeping at the top tank--the sucker runs ice cold no matter what and I don't want to risk losing that.

Right is always right, but it pains me a great deal to say that sometimes I still think it's better to leave well enough alone.

That is what I would probably do today via electric pump (and perhaps block off the pre-heater function), though at the time, post engine fire and ..., it was easier to just move on.  The 41 Cadillac 60 Special had 17K miles on it in 1979, and when sold in 2015 or so had 97,500 miles on it - great tour car (it did have a lot of time spent on it mechanically) and only saw the side of the road 2 x times, with once running out of gasoline and another with an Optima battery melt down. The Franklin periodically had an issue or two, though made it home every time. And the 35 Auburn's have always made it home too.  Plus, all the other Cadillac's,  Buick's, Rolls-Royce's, and .... made it home from every show/tour.   Sidenote:  All the Packard's made it home as well, dad just cusses and swears that they engineered by"bulk" and it is easier to not have one anymore (he seems happy with ACD products and British Sports Cars, though there is probably a 57 Ford Thunderbird or ... in his future for easy driving). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

That is what I would probably do today via electric pump, though at the time, post engine fire and ..., it was easier to just move on.  The 41 60 Special had 17K miles on it in 1979, and when sold in 2015 or so had 97,500 miles on it - great tour car (it did have a lot of time spent on it mechanically) and only saw the side of the road 2 x times, with once running out of gasoline and another with an Optima battery melt down. The Franklin periodically had an issue or two, though made it home every time. And, the 35 Auburn's have always made it home too.  Plus, all the other Cadillac's,  Buick's, Rolls-Royce's, and .... made it home from every show/tour.   Sidenote:  All the Packard's made it home as well, dad just cusses and swears that they engineered by"bulk" and it is easier to not have one anymore (he seems happy with ACD products and British Sports Cars, though there is probably a 57 Ford Thunderbird or ... in his future for easy driving). 

You know to steer him away from the Thunderbird, right? Awful cars. Just terrible. I've stopped selling them simply because we get more complaints and demands for refunds or repairs on those than any other single car. I'm sorry to the guys who love them, but I can't imagine a worse car.

22 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Dad and I have a rule:  Unless really broken prohibiting driving or possibly unsafe, we do not touch anything pre-tour or show.  I do not recall who preached that to the both of us, but it works well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

You know to steer him away from the Thunderbird, right? Awful cars. Just terrible. I've stopped selling them simply because we get more complaints and demands for refunds or repairs on those than any other single car. I'm sorry to the guys who love them, but I can't imagine a worse car.

I am somewhat aware - I realize I will have to spend a lot of time with one if we go that route for him. 

3 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

To Ed and John, I feel for your age related restrictions.  Follow Clint Eastwood's advice.  "Don't Let The Old Man In".  I will be 80 in February and still work on cars every day, just slowly!!

Those two are barely over 50.   Actually,  John,  are you 50 yet?

70 is the new 50. That said I have gone from the slowest mechanic imaginal to 2x slower. Took me over a week to change a thermostat. Spending more time and effort figuring out and accessorizing (first TV I've had that needs a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse) a 75" "Android" (cyber Monday special that sold out in minutes) 4K TV than any recent car.  Is like being in a theater, seeing more facial defects than ever wanted to...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

.........the water pump bearing is a little noisy .....................sometimes I still think it's better to leave well enough alone.

It has been my experience that noisy water pumps are not well enough to be let alone. Maybe a necessary field repair I had to make before most o' youse in yer 50s were born, learned me up too well. My first long distance road trip in my own car which developed a serious leak as a pump packing failed just short of 1000 miles out. On the spot fix limited to assets on hand. Yarn and chewing gum were the only materials I could find. Continued outbound, and returned home, still dry ! After that "trial run", I figured I could leave well enough alone. And it did not let me down.

Even if my water pumps are not calling out for timely help, I check them periodically anyway. Always try to wiggle the water pump fans when I look at a car I am buying, or about to start a long trip. Saved my tail feathers back in the late '60s. Back then, in more innocent times, there were opportunities to do delivery driving. Little Danish Dolly and I had flown from Europe to Nassau on a cheap flight on  International Air Bahamas airline. Then got a delivery '65 Cadillac out of Miami to Chicago. Checked the H2O pump, and it was loose. Good thing I checked and repaired prior to departure. Back then, things could be very different than now. "Blondie" and I were denied service at a necessary hamburger stop. Waitress informed us they didn't "serve nobody but truckers. Hi-uh-puhs nyethuh !" Real good thing the 'pump had been replaced. Might have been awkward at some place that didn't work on nothin' but no trucks. Ca-di-laks nyethuh.

I'll tell you. That li'l hamburger addict I was traveling with finally had her mind blown. In the new Olds we got out of Chi' town to Seattle, by the time we got to Wyoming, she was absolutely astonished that we were still driving. Corner to corner USA did not compute to the mind of a girl from such a tiny country as Denmark.

Lesson here is that it is always better to fix a water pump a little early, than just a leeeeeTL bit too late ! 

And effin' you young'uns in yer 50s think you are old and slow, just think how 70, 80, and 90 will be. And yes, I do know there are a few exceptions. I hope some of you will be. On the average, it takes me a whole 7 day week to do what I could do in my prime in a day. Some days I worked all day doing what would literally kill me in 10 or 15 minutes today.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Matt and y'all ! And for a happier New Year, please wear this shoe if it fits : If you are experiencing anguish and stress, toiling in this trying life, please treat YOURSELF as you would have OTHERS treat YOU.  

All the VERY BEST,   -   Cadillac Carl 

2 hours ago, C Carl said:

It has been my experience that noisy water pumps are not well enough to be let alone. Maybe a necessary field repair I had to make before most o' youse in yer 50s were born, learned me up too well. My first long distance road trip in my own car which developed a serious leak as a pump packing failed just short of 1000 miles out. On the spot fix limited to assets on hand. Yarn and chewing gum (*) were the only materials I could find. Continued outbound, and returned home, still dry ! After that "trial run", I figured I could leave well enough alone. And it did not let me down.

Even if my water pumps are not calling out for timely help, I check them periodically anyway. Always try to wiggle the water pump fans when I look at a car I am buying, or about to start a long trip. Saved my tail feathers back in the late '60s. Back then, in more innocent times, there were opportunities to do delivery driving. Little Danish Dolly and I had flown from Europe to Nassau on a cheap flight on  International Air Bahamas airline. Then got a delivery '65 Cadillac out of Miami to Chicago. Checked the H2O pump, and it was loose. Good thing I checked and repaired prior to departure. Back then, things could be very different than now. "Blondie" and I were denied service at a necessary hamburger stop. Waitress informed us they didn't "serve nobody but truckers. Hi-uh-puhs nyethuh !" Real good thing the 'pump had been replaced. Might have been awkward at some place that didn't work on nothin' but no trucks. Ca-di-laks nyethuh.

I'll tell you. That li'l hamburger addict I was traveling with finally had her mind blown. In the new Olds we got out of Chi' town to Seattle, by the time we got to Wyoming, she was absolutely astonished that we were still driving. Corner to corner USA did not compute to the mind of a girl from such a tiny country as Denmark.

Lesson here is that it is always better to fix a water pump a little early, than just a leeeeeTL bit too late ! 

And effin' you young'uns in yer 50s think you are old and slow, just think how 70, 80, and 90 will be. And yes, I do know there are a few exceptions. I hope some of you will be. On the average, it takes me a whole 7 day week to do what I could do in my prime in a day. Some days I worked all day doing what would literally kill me in 10 or 15 minutes today.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Matt and y'all ! And for a happier New Year, please wear this shoe if it fits : If you are experiencing anguish and stress, toiling in this trying life, please treat YOURSELF as you would have OTHERS treat YOU.  

(*) : hmmmmmmmmmmm............. Thinking, trying to remember so long ago, there just might have been a little Vaseline in the mix - not that it matters, I am not making any recommendations here 😏.   -   CC 

17 hours ago, alsancle said:

I think perhaps the difference is that Ed and I are still doing cars actively and doing them ourselves (as well as the ones we have lots of help on) - and actually finishing them and extensively driving them thereafter.   You learn a lot from doing such - some good and some bad (such as realizing limitations).  AJ - you and your dad are doing most work yourselves too I believe ? 

By the way, I have had a full spinal fusion with rods too since age 18 and then redone at age 19 (comes with lifting and leverage limitations  matched to as you know CCCA cars coming with some weight/bulk to them)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

AJ - you and your dad are doing most work yourselves too I believe ?

My dad is 94 now and was always hands on with his cars.  He still did the bulk of the work on his speedster (all in the last 10 years) which was mostly a mechanical restoration and with light cosmetics.   I talk a good game and have a nice set of snap on tools that I throw oil on to make them look used,   but typically I have to leave the real work to guys that are good at it.   The problem I'm running in to is the guys I've relied on for 30 years are all retiring and aging out.  

IMG_6306.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, alsancle said:

My dad is 94 now and was always hands on with his cars.  He still did the bulk of the work on his speedster (all in the last 10 years) which was mostly a mechanical restoration and with light cosmetics.   I talk a good game and have a nice set of snap on tools that I throw oil on to make them look used,   but typically I have to leave the real work to guys that are good at it.   The problem I'm running in to is the guys I've relied on for 30 years are all retiring and aging out.  

IMG_6306.JPG

There is more to your skills than what you just modestly said :)   Yes, the problem I'm running in to is the guys I've relied on for 30 years are all retiring and aging out.  And quickly too !!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, C Carl said:

It has been my experience that noisy water pumps are not well enough to be let alone. Maybe a necessary field repair I had to make before most o' youse in yer 50s were born, learned me up too well. My first long distance road trip in my own car which developed a serious leak as a pump packing failed just short of 1000 miles out. On the spot fix limited to assets on hand. Yarn and chewing gum were the only materials I could find. Continued outbound, and returned home, still dry ! After that "trial run", I figured I could leave well enough alone. And it did not let me down.

You're 100% right, Carl, which is why there's a new water pump sitting on my workbench just waiting for me to have enough time and shop space to tear the front of the car apart to get it out and replaced. I also have my radiator guy on standby and I'll at least have this radiator seam fixed, if not re-cored. The thing runs at 170 degrees at 65 MPH on 95 degree days and sits in traffic at 185. I'm terrified that I'll lose part of what makes this car "bulletproof." But as you say, better to do it now when it's in the shop rather than later by the side of the road. 

Take care and be well my friend.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, C Carl said:

I loved the story.  We have all seen photos of your wonderful Cadillac's,  would love to see one of "Dolly".  Merry Christmas to you and all the wonderful posters on this forum.  Now out to the car building  to dust off the 66 GTO Convertible as the 11 y/o triplet grandsons  want to go for a ride this afternoon.  For my northern friends it will be 76 today.

30 minutes ago, alsancle said:

IMG_6306.JPG

One, gorgeous car.

Two, it's awesome that you and your dad still enjoy the hobby together. I miss playing cars with my father but they kicked his butt so often that he doesn't want anything to do with them anymore, even mine where problems aren't his to solve. I miss that part of our relationship, so cherish it while you have it.

Three, become "the guy." They don't know anything you can't learn and they aren't any smarter than you are. They just have experience on their side. You can do it.

Four, this comment embodies like 90% of my yearly allotment of sentimentality. Enjoy!

• Like 4

Water pump making noise and giving you the blues? We had a major big boy toy that had some assxxxe rebuild the pump and remove the safety to prevent the fan from eating the radiator for breakfast. The worst happened with no notice........40k worth of damage overall. Add in the time to fix it.......major league bummer. We had another similar car.......guess what.....same idiot did the pump on that car also.........fortunately I figured out how to tell his work without taking the car apart for inspection. I had to take the front end off to fix his shoddy work. Unfortunately today.......almost NO subcontractors can be trusted............I inspect EVERYTHING done outside my building. Fact is today many shops are living on their past accomplishments and poor work is getting through. I can count on my two hands who I can trust to do things right.

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

The problem I'm running in to is the guys I've relied on for 30 years are all retiring and aging out.  

If you notice in my last few posts I have also said that. Of the four of us that started going to Hershey  in the 70s I am  the last one surviving.  Then I started going with Gord then he passed 2 years ago and now wife now goes with me. The joke around here is do not go to Hershey with Joe as it shortens your life expectancy.

I must say I have a lot of good memory's  with my old friends that I do miss.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sftamx1 said:

Dont mean to sidetrack,  but wasn't the last Caddy V12 in 1936 also the last American car to feature updraft carbs? I don't think the Cad V12 engine was ever updated since its introduction. 

Changes in carburetion, fuel delivery, and such as distributor - 1931, I believe is a stand alone year and balance is pretty much same/similar. 

11 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Three, become "the guy." They don't know anything you can't learn and they aren't any smarter than you are. They just have experience on their side. You can do it.

I've been giving this a lot of thought over the last couple of years as I watch guys dropping off.   It is disconcerting.    To some extent I agree with you,  but the experience that a lot of these guys have with machine tools and motor assembly is not something you pick up from reading a book.

When I was young I felt no limitations to my abilities, or the jobs that I was willing to tackle. The passage of time has taught me what I can reasonably expect to accomplish, and what projects I would be better off leaving for someone that I can trust to do it right, the first time.  I treasure the those long ago days, and the lessons that I learned first hand, but I simply don't have the time left to experiment on a project that needs to be done right. 

While reading to members' responses the dwindling supply of capable artisans truly  comes into focus. My personal ace in the hole is my mechanic nephew, who is the best mechanic I know. I'm far from smug with regards to the time that he has available for my projects. Modern truck and car technology has made the demand for a good mechanic even tighter. For a number of reasons there is more competition for his services. Simply put a good mechanic can make more then he could working on our old stuff.

I think that there is a great opportunity for a good mechanic to fill the void left as the old-timers disappear, but what will it take to reconcile the supply with the demand? 

48 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I think that there is a great opportunity for a good mechanic to fill the void left as the old-timers disappear, but what will it take to reconcile the supply with the demand?

How many of the mechanics of today in the field could rebuild a carb? Also not many of the body men out there probably could not take out a dent then metal finish it ether.  A fellow in our region is a 45 year licensed body man and in the shop he is in he is the only one of 6. He has cut back in his hours and says he does not know what the shop will do when he retires. Another friend sold his diesel mechanical repair shop and the new owners hired 2 mechanics nether one has a licence.  I am waiting for the DOT to walk in but you can not find diesel mechanics to hire anyway. There is a big shortage of automotive trades up here and they are well paid so it is not for the lack of money. The automotive field has taken bad raps in the trades as for one the chemicals in the body trades and being a mechanic is very tough on the body. There is not much manpower left to go into restoring cars because of this PLUS they have to be interested in antique cars. I also understand that Pen State is having a difficult time getting students interested in the restoration field.  

One of our big topics is the grumbling of cost to restore a car and how unrestored cars are taking a hit. When you add this all up it may tell us why there is fewer people getting in the vintage car trade and some trades on the verge of being lost in a way. 

Just some thoughts. 

Joe 

3 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

There is not much manpower left to go into restoring cars because of this PLUS they have to be interested in antique cars. I also understand that Pen State is having a difficult time getting students interested in the restoration field.  

In a true capitalist system demand will increase supply. Of course the inverse is also true. Lack of supply will increase cost and thus reduce demand. I'm afraid that we will experiance the latter. The ultimate result is a spiral into a small niche hobby ......................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)