Nice Hudson project

Xander Wildeisen

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Solid barn find......with rot holes in the floor so you can see the road.

My mom always talks about riding with my grandmother in one of the family construction trucks - it was a Schacht  and the topic odf conversation was the hole in the floor and watching the pavement while driving - I recall the truck too as a kid as a relative had it and unfortunately dissembled it for restoration before his death in 1990 (sold at his estate sale and hopefully it survives) - I want to say it was early 30's albeit could have been mid 30's . 

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Neat car.  Tons of money to restore or hot rod properly.  Lots of cars out there that need everything though and i don't think quite as many people buying financial pits any more. 

The car restoration hobby can become a financial pit,  but  it's typically done for personal enjoyment. Otherwise it's a business. What I enjoy (restoring 3 Terraplanes; 1 at a time) doesn't make any financial sense!

• Like 1

The problem with today is lots of hoards have come on the market and the internet has opened up the options immensely so there are alot more choices of what one can tackle for their next project,  plus with every passing year more and more cars become "collectible" so that broadens the field and waters things down. Unless you are searching for specifically a 1935 Hudson Coupe lots of cars are available for 10 grand to restore that need everything. 

Are as many guys building rods still as there were a few years ago?  I used to see any rod project snapped up for a while,  but have since seen several sit on the market for nearly a year now. 

15 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Nice lines, the curve of the fenders, the hood long and tapered.

hudson-1935-31882.jpg

hudson-1935-31881.jpg

This one looks like they turned the deck lid around to create a rumble seat car out of a business coupe.

1 hour ago, zepher said:

Seems like it's a little steep for what it is.

Sometimes pricing high makes for an easier sell - and as the old saying goes as the seller you can't go up but you can always go down.  Well maybe sometimes you can raise the price, I had a trunk lid that was absolutely mint that I had priced at $250 with no takers, dropped to 150 still no luck dragging it around to a pile of flea markets, finally threw a price of $400 on it and sold it right away for the full price.  I think some times when you price things too low guys figure there must be something wrong with it and just keep walking.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 3macboys said:

Sometimes pricing high makes for an easier sell - and as the old saying goes as the seller you can't go up but you can always go down.  Well maybe sometimes you can raise the price, I had a trunk lid that was absolutely mint that I had priced at $250 with no takers, dropped to 150 still no luck dragging it around to a pile of flea markets, finally threw a price of $400 on it and sold it right away for the full price.  I think some times when you price things too low guys figure there must be something wrong with it and just keep walking.  

As much as a few other members have mentioned this,  I have never ever had this happen. I would bet you got lucky and the guy that bought the part just needed that part and hadn't seen it before.   

Any one out there that has had this happen please explain the circumstances and was the buyer someone that had seen it before.  I would say it couldn't happen, but then the fact that ebay works with a hard close and bidders on the first day of a 10 day auction,  baffles my mind. 

i DONT FIND THE PRICE OF THE HUDSON HIGH AT ALL. YOU EITHER WANT IT OR YOU DONT.

It is a rodders dream and who will buy it.

this discussion comes up often on the Ford Barn and guys complain over and over, the price is too high. Fella in NH always says, I get far more and far easier sales from rodders. no complaints either!

while the "purists moan"................................

• Like 2

34-35 Hudson 8 coupes do not pop up on the market very often. And some of the parts can be as hard to find as Auburn or Cord parts. All steel bodies, quality construction. An easy restoration/build, if the car is a complete solid car to start with. A 34-35 coupe has always been one of my must have cars. I was in the market for one a while back, could not find one. Settled for the Victoria body style (not giving up any styling) I think 34 is a better styled car, with grill/shell design and hood vents. I have owned one now, crossed off my must have list. Just one more Hudson on my must have list, and there is no settling on that one. I am a fan of the Hudson trucks, and could have a moment of automotive weakness, and end up owning another. The 49 Hudson Commodore coupe is almost done. And will be a fun car to drive around. (most likely in another State, still waiting Idaho) I would have jumped on the coupe if it was for sale when I bought this Victoria. The sweeping lines of the Victoria is tough to beat. 

34 hudson 042.jpg

more pictures of 49 019.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/14/2019 at 9:34 AM, John_Mereness said:

The Essex in the background is surprisingly rare.

Yes and it is a 1933, would like to see the VIN numbers several of John's cars might still be out there.  The 33 Essex that is most interesting is the one he had Billy purchase, if I remember correctly the Phenix Police impounded that one.  Nice looking cars.

Image result for 1933 essex terraplane

8 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Yes and it is a 1933, would like to see the VIN numbers several of John's cars might still be out there.  The 33 Essex that is most interesting is the one he had Billy purchase, if I remember correctly the Phenix Police impounded that one.  Nice looking cars.

Image result for 1933 essex terraplane

I rode in one two years ago at Dayton Concours - the fellow was having trouble getting it running and I ended up taking him to the gas station and asked for a ride in exchange - I thought a really neat car.  His was dark maroon and an 8 cylinder.  Sorry do not have a photo.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, sftamx1 said:

The car restoration hobby can become a financial pit,  but  it's typically done for personal enjoyment. Otherwise it's a business. What I enjoy (restoring 3 Terraplanes; 1 at a time) doesn't make any financial sense!

I for one view the hobby as a labor of love. Rescuing a car that may otherwise be lost to the scrapper may not make fiscal sense, but then again neither do golf clubs, bass boats, or small planes. You're not likely to make money on restoring an old car, unless you do it for others, but you are saving a piece of history that would otherwise be lost. Future generations should be able to see such fabulous works of art and engineering. They aren't making any more 1952 Buicks, 1937 Hudsons, etc.

Guy posted a nice 34 that looked a lot like Xander's on fb last night, a nice first drive after long sleep video, he then called Xander out with compliments noting his shop prepped the car.

I used to work with a woman who is a descendent of the Dillinger family, she is a very nice person!