1947 Chrysler Windsor Limo 7 passenger

Looks like a sedan ambulance. 😉

Removable passenger side front seat and removable passenger side pillar to load a gurney. 

Typically they also had jump seats that were easily removed without tools. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

Looks like a sedan ambulance. 😉

Removable passenger side front seat and removable passenger side pillar to load a gurney. 

Typically they also had jump seats that were easily removed without tools. 

Thank you m-mman.   I knew something was off and you cleared up my confusion.   

They were popular with funeral homes as a multi purpose vehicle. 

They functioned as a limo/family car for a funeral and as a 'ambulance' to transfer people between hospitals or bring them home from a hospital (invalid care) after discharge in a vehicle that might not excite the neighbors. 

They would not have been used at an actual emergency. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Interesting lwb Chrysler.  How about photos of the doors open in the various configurations so we call all see how they worked.   I note the release hand on the B-pillar, does it stay attached to the door?

The post is removable.

IMG_6559 (2).JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It was my understanding that in addition to being completely removable with both doors open, it could be left attached to the rear door by opening the front first then unlatching the rear door with B-pillar attached by moving the handle in a different direction.  True or a myth?  

As a kid in central Illinois circa 1949, I distinctly remember lights and siren blaring on a Chrysler like this on its way to to our local hospital from one of the surrounding "farm towns". I would say that these LWB sedans did multi-tasks, including emergency service.

Why do I remember seventy years ago like yesterday but I can't find the 9/16" socket that I used yesterday?

Henry F.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, parrts said:

As a kid in central Illinois circa 1949, I distinctly remember lights and siren blaring on a Chrysler like this on its way to to our local hospital from one of the surrounding "farm towns". I would say that these LWB sedans did multi-tasks, including emergency service.

Why do I remember seventy years ago like yesterday but I can't find the 9/16" socket that I used yesterday?

Henry F.

Isn't that the truth! And it's always the 9/16" isn't it?

11 hours ago, keiser31 said:

The post is removable.

IMG_6559 (2).JPG

I love the name "Sedambulance!"  I once owned a '48 Windsor 4-door and learned quite a bit about MoPar vehicles, but I never learned about the Sedambulance.  Thank you to all for this very interesting commentary.

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Dad, can borrow the love machine,  errrr      Sedambulance tonight?   

You think your new "date" would get in that ?

I'd rather have a Nash..............

Sure would be something at the local car shows.

Especially if you took a young "candy striper" along.

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...