Restoration of Victory Six sports roadster.

Mattml430

Wow and I thought NSW was a PITA but it appears that they are not so bad just make sure it has a engine and chassis no, have proof of ownership, get a blue slip( initial RWC and chassis no check etc) and away you go. NSW has very little in the way of records which is a pain if you are trying to research the history of a car even if you know what the rego no used to be. But kinda good as they can’t hold you up on those terms either🙄😁. It’s funny I’m kinda glad I’m in NSW at the moment either that or I have Stockholm syndrome 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mattml430 said:

Thanks fellas I’ll see what this Vimports can find for me and go from there. I’m sure I’ll get it done some how. Probably take till the dead of winter when it will be to cold to take it out. 😂

My brother is coming to visit soon and I wanted to have it finished so he can take it for a drive. 

Matt - I have taken many restored rides out on public roads without "completing" registration...police never bother me. Except for the one that pulled me over....to take pictures to send to his police buddies back at the station...I have no reservations when taking them out, Police know we are not going to raise a ruckus.

I do though make sure I am fully insured both for my property and property of others...I'm not worried about my driving, its the other guy that worries me.

BTW - love the color combination, refined yet sporty.

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Matt,

I'm amazed at what you have accomplished in such a short time.  II've really enjoyed following along and will probably go back through your build many times as I work on mine. I don't plan to fully restore mine, but I am trying to maintain or leave what is original intact so that someone else might be able to restore it or use it in the future.  I just plan to get it running and enjoy it while creating a car again from what was the remains of a tractor when I got it.  I've been thinking a lot about my windshield so I went back through your whole process today to find where you did yours.  Your windshield is a lot like what mine should be.  Where did you source the channel that you used to make the windshield frame?  I think you stated that it came from the States?  I'd appreciate any help or suggestions (or a little more detail) to point me in the right direction as I attempt to build one.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, jari12 said:

Matt,

I'm amazed at what you have accomplished in such a short time.  II've really enjoyed following along and will probably go back through your build many times as I work on mine. I don't plan to fully restore mine, but I am trying to maintain or leave what is original intact so that someone else might be able to restore it or use it in the future.  I just plan to get it running and enjoy it while creating a car again from what was the remains of a tractor when I got it.  I've been thinking a lot about my windshield so I went back through your whole process today to find where you did yours.  Your windshield is a lot like what mine should be.  Where did you source the channel that you used to make the windshield frame?  I think you stated that it came from the States?  I'd appreciate any help or suggestions (or a little more detail) to point me in the right direction as I attempt to build one.

Thanks.

Thanks Jari appreciate your comments. 
peter Johnson put me onto this frame material and we got it from Brass works here in Melbourne. I put it through some adjustable rollers and it forms to the shape you want really easily. I have an old piece here I take a picture for you. I braised the bottom 2 corners. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

No worries.  I'll keep looking for a source over here.  I did find an Aussie supplier with it but haven't found a US company yet through internet searches.  I missed a complete windshield on Ebay a while ago and I'm still bummed over it.  Thanks for the thought. 

1 hour ago, jari12 said:

No worries.  I'll keep looking for a source over here.  I did find an Aussie supplier with it but haven't found a US company yet through internet searches.  I missed a complete windshield on Ebay a while ago and I'm still bummed over it.  Thanks for the thought. 

I’m sure I’ve seen a company in the US that does various profiles and even makes complete screens - I think the bulk of their work was for hot rods.  Will have a look on the PC tonight to see if I can find them. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 7:46 AM, jari12 said:

Try some of these guys, they may have the extruded brass?

https://windshieldframes.com/index.php
https://www.autoyas.com/XX/Unknown/1603105549930947/Bates-Hot-Rod-%26-Vintage-Frames

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jari12 said:

Thanks  a lot for the links.  I'll be sure to check them out.  Matt, sorry to hijack your build thread into windshield construction but it's because of all of your good work and inspiration.

Don’t apologise this is why we post all of what we do so somewhere down the track or now,  we help each other out. 
I had to get some spiral tube from out of the states for a job I’m going to search for the email and try send that to you. 

• Like 1

Going to attempt to transplant a small alternator into our generator housing. 
It’s been a slow process on the lathe but I’m only a couple of millimeters of getting it to fit. This way it will still look original but give the performance of an alternator. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes. 
I have removed all the screws that hold the housing together and tig welded it together. So pulling it apart for servicing is not an option. 

363ED0A4-46D3-4D13-BF2A-AF54D55564A2.jpeg

C9EDE6ED-6D05-4BA5-8707-12806646E7A5.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, John McEwan said:

Thinking outside the square, except it’s round. I’m confused.

Fitting the alternator inside the original generator housing. 
Im running 12volts John so it will be a bit better in the long run. 
trying it this way let’s me keep the original look of the generator. 

A87A5D94-8F27-4917-98F0-8192F1C9DDE9.png

8045298F-30D1-4293-B6EB-4342D0B55F61.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, aunty norm said:

Matt, you might have trouble with overheating. The fact that you won't be chasing a lot of power could be an advantage, because the more power creates more heat. 

But it's  definitely worth the effort!!!

I’m going to drill some holes in the bottom at the front and I kinda figured the steel housing might work as a heat sink anyway. I’ll give it a whirl and see what happens. Having the alternator hooked up direct drive they don’t spin anywhere near as fast as it would in a car engine with a belt drive. The pulley is normally stepped down 2&1/2 times. So having them like this it will be just ticking over. It has 2 internal fans in it also which will help keep it cool. 

Manage to get the old girl on club plates so I’m free to drive it now. Pretty happy about that. 
Had Pete call in and give it a tune up yesterday. Can’t believe how good he gets them going, I thought it was running well but I think he found another 25hp that was asleep in there somewhere. He thinks it will go better again after it’s run in, so with all his engine build help that he gave me along the way it’s certainly paid of. His years of knowledge and efforts playing around with these engines was generously passed onto me. 
Thanks Pete 👍

DCF8DD50-8499-4BEA-B159-7D1744597505.jpeg

• Like 4

So Matt, what does the club permit mean? I know you have to belong to the Nat'l club to get insurance. Saw that in Beaded Wheels.  Pennsylvania antique plates are permanent, no inspection, can drive for club events, parades, and ONE day a week for pleasure,  but not at night without sealed beam headlights. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

So Matt, what does the club permit mean? I know you have to belong to the Nat'l club to get insurance. Saw that in Beaded Wheels.  Pennsylvania antique plates are permanent, no inspection, can drive for club events, parades, and ONE day a week for pleasure,  but not at night without sealed beam headlights. 

We can drive 45 or 90 days which ever you pay for. I did 90 days. 
You have to fill out a log book each time you use it. No restriction on night driving just fill out the log book again at 12:00 midnight. Pretty sure you can use the car for any reason someone else might be able to fill us in a bit more. 

We, in my state, can not haul anything in a truck with antique plates. Even the AACA bus museum, in my back yard, can not take passengers in one of the buses. We have year of manuf. plates too. You find a plate at a flea market from the year the car was built and can use it. BUT, this is where money comes in. You have to pay for an antique plate which is about $90, which they never issue you, then pay again for your flea market plate and that becomes your legal permanent plate. The bugger is you can use any year of manuf. plate on anything, boat on car, truck on car, etc. As long as the number is open. I have a nice 1914 plate I want to use, but there's a dump truck with that number in use so my plate is no good to use. Lots of street rods use them which is actually not legal as vehicle have to be restored to or maintained in original condition. SO Matt, what happens after 90 days.? Do you have to renew it? Another inspection?

• Like 1

We have slightly different rules depending on the State you live in but in Victoria where Matt is and in South Australia where I am you can use your car on a club permit for any reason you like with others or on your own, a club run or just a coffee and a chat. The maximum number of days you can drive in any one calendar year is 90, no exceptions, you must fill your logbook in before driving each day. You must be a financial member of a certified club and it is your responsibility to ensure your car is safe and fit for the road. (We call it a roadworthy) (The UK an MoT) Carrying passengers is no problem but not for profit or reward.

• Like 1

We had a great day out today on the roadster’s first rally. Jude and I took the roadster and Rich and his friend Jeremy took The sedan. We were on the way home and the sedan broke an axle so she had to come home on a truck. At least we got the bulk of the day done, Stu and John put an awesome day together for us all we had a ball. 

B6C8CC8D-B8AD-4209-916B-DEE11431DFB6.jpeg

C264C1CE-E385-4D14-A3E4-68582BEE11CA.jpeg

CFAED1DE-2896-452B-B5E4-CFE12C515F27.jpeg

23465B67-D9E5-4AAD-8EF1-7EFBFF0C2FAD.jpeg

• Like 4

Glad to hear that the day was awesome  A real bummer breaking an axle though   they make a handsome pair there together 

I squeezed a fart out of the Senior this morning to sort out a generator that was not charging Lucky for me it was dirty contacts in the cut out Setting up to make a new side plate /water jacket for the engine The one that I made back in 1980 has rusted through So a new one out of brass is in order 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ron Lawson said:

Glad to hear that the day was awesome  A real bummer breaking an axle though   they make a handsome pair there together 

I squeezed a fart out of the Senior this morning to sort out a generator that was not charging Lucky for me it was dirty contacts in the cut out Setting up to make a new side plate /water jacket for the engine The one that I made back in 1980 has rusted through So a new one out of brass is in order 

Yer mate it was great. Poor old Rich felt like crap after that happening but it would of happened to me next time I drove it. Just one of those things you can never predict. 
Im sure your side plate cover will be better than original with you on the job Ron. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

We had a great day out today on the roadster’s first rally. Jude and I took the roadster and Rich and his friend Jeremy took The sedan. We were on the way home and the sedan broke an axle so she had to come home on a truck. At least we got the bulk of the day done, Stu and John put an awesome day together for us all we had a ball. 

B6C8CC8D-B8AD-4209-916B-DEE11431DFB6.jpeg

C264C1CE-E385-4D14-A3E4-68582BEE11CA.jpeg

CFAED1DE-2896-452B-B5E4-CFE12C515F27.jpeg

23465B67-D9E5-4AAD-8EF1-7EFBFF0C2FAD.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

Yer mate it was great. Poor old Rich felt like crap after that happening but it would of happened to me next time I drove it. Just one of those things you can never predict. 
Im sure your side plate cover will be better than original with you on the job Ron. 

Yes, gutted to break Matty’s baby:(. First time I’ve borrowed someone else’s car too.  Was an awesome day and I think there were 8 Dodges all up!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RichBad said:

Yes, gutted to break Matty’s baby:(. First time I’ve borrowed someone else’s car too.  Was an awesome day and I think there were 8 Dodges all up!

Totally not your fault mate you drive the old cars way better than I do so if I was driving I may not of even made it down there 😂🤣

well have to get yours painted so you can get it out there. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Great pictures of what looks like a lot of fun.  Can't wait to be able to do it as well.  You guys keep it up, it gives me motivation.  Sorry about the axle but given your track record it's probably already fixed.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2021 at 6:36 AM, Mattml430 said:

I’ve had Chevrolet and Ford axles of this vintage break, but so far not the dodge😀. When you get a chance I would love to see some pictures of where it broke. And that Victory looks great congratulations. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Matt, we need pictures. I know a '16 that broke one. In the factory video I think they wound up the axle six revolutions before it snapped.  I never have believed it though. 

Well I’m just presuming it has broken an axle. Could be something else in the diff that’s let go. The burn outs I saw Rich doing in it earlier you never know anything could of broken. 😂🤣

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, robert b said:

I GUESS YOU HAVE SPARE AXLES  IN STOCK , IF NOT YELL OUT , YOU KNOW WHAT I MEEN BOB

Thanks bob,  pete has organised me one he has quite a few. Radiator on the roadster is absolutely perfect mate you did a beautiful job on that. 

• Like 2

Have you thought of publishing "Restoration of Victory Six sports roadster" as a book?    Many of restoration subjects and techniques discussed in these posts are applicable to all vintage and classic cars.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t know where to start Anthony to be honest. Probably a great idea, one of the main reasons I have done so many posts about it is because Pete has been researching the Victory six sports roadster for years with not a whole lot of information out there about it. What he has done over the last 15 years with not a lot of info out there is amazing. I’ve been lucky enough that he has passed all that onto me to just help get another old car on the road. Not to mention the amount of help from you guys on this forum. Doug has put me in touch with quite a few people that have helped enormously. I’d like to thank everyone that has helped in some way or another building this car back to it’s beautiful self. So hopefully if anyone needs to know about some part of a victory six sports roadster or any other  late 20’s dodge car it might help. That would make it all worth it. 

Cheers guys.