Restoration of Victory Six sports roadster.

Mattml430

The end result is definitely far from perfect because of the troubles I’ve had plating. The surface that I spent hours on preparing gets damaged in the copper coat if it hasn’t got a good coat of nickel on it. It’s definitely a little disappointing with the time spent but I might redo it in time. 
At present it’s half acceptable, you kinda get to a stage we’re you just can’t keep sanding it down because it gets so thin. It will do for now and I’ll keep an eye out for another radiator surround that I  could maybe replate down the track. 
EE50BFFC-6CAF-4C81-B346-C6D4F1523BBF.thumb.jpeg.3ad31bcc18588d7acccd46b12ea5a4fa.jpeg17A2430D-2839-492C-BD9A-EF2B947D3F49.thumb.jpeg.5e4ed62c7408014bce23c490a4b9d09d.jpeg

If you look close you can see a few imperfections in the plating. B24526A6-B3C1-41BF-8B21-7C9B1A5D719E.thumb.jpeg.a0b2dfc265b2f34cf6eed0a62e409168.jpeg

• Like 1

Matt, you are confusing me. You are saying the copper is damaged if it doesn't have a good coat of nickel. Can you explain? My understanding is the cooper goes on first or am I reading it wrong? Copper is the primer and nickel the topcoat. BTW, it doesn't look too bad from here. 

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)

3 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Matt, you are confusing me. You are saying the copper is damaged if it doesn't have a good coat of nickel. Can you explain? My understanding is the cooper goes on first or am I reading it wrong? Copper is the primer and nickel the topcoat. BTW, it doesn't look too bad from here. 

Any steel or cast iron has to have a coat of nickel first before the copper can attach itself to the part. You can polish brass and bronze and just nickel straight over them. 
The copper bath just eats the steel away without the nickel coat. 
I gave the radiator surround 2 coats of copper with a light sand in between. You have to be careful doing that though because if you sand through back to steel you have to re nickel the part again before copper coating it. 

• Like 1

She opened her eyes 👀 today after how ever many years. 
A5245AA8-038F-4C88-B1D4-B8098C33F3B9.thumb.jpeg.575602d647edcc8c8b501314b52b5ba4.jpeg

Bonnet is all fitted up and adjusted. 
Still need to fit the catches. 

E000340D-6329-40EB-ABDE-5B38ADE735D7.thumb.jpeg.92614abc61ecb3c6b91baa23536ab3b7.jpeg4B1917A8-8361-4D71-9CB6-CEA8ED70D4ED.jpeg.ad978e73fd4005609da82234db09d0fc.jpeg

Now just need to put some shoes on her give her a drink and take her out for a drive. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

I haven't gotten the phone call to pick up the tires yet. I am packed and ready to go. 

They told me they were being delivered straight to you. 😂

13 minutes ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Stunning work Matt, it is certainly a credit to you.

Where are you getting the tyres from ?

Thanks Ian 😁

Im picking them up tomorrow from antiquetyres in Heidelberg. There has been a delay with the container, Doug left a heap of stink Beetles 🪲 in there when he was trying to stow away in the container before they caught him. 

3 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

We have plenty of stink bugs to go around, can send you more. They don't eat much, just stink when you crush them. What flavor of tires? Heidelberg ain't close to here. 

They are BF Goodrich 550-19 WWalls

had to take out a 2nd Morgage to buy them. 

Got the old girl up and running today and ran it for 20 minutes or so. Seems to run really nice and did everything it was supposed to. Had a little water leak out of the old grease nipple on the water pump so it’s been replaced. Ran at about 170f. Fitted the muffler Rich got for me and it fits in there really well and sounds good.Thanks mate.  So all in all pretty happy so far and it will be great to see how she goes on the road. 

6065AD14-AF0B-47B6-845E-0EBBCB43F905.jpeg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

That’s weird.....I work around the corner from them. This is where my tyres are coming from when I’m ready. Ben and the boys will look after you !

I’ve bought the white walls for the other 2 cars from there but I don’t remember them being so expensive. Probably because I had to buy 6 this time. 

6 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

I’ve bought the white walls for the other 2 cars from there but I don’t remember them being so expensive. Probably because I had to buy 6 this time. 

Matt When I bought the tyres for my car and they were supposed to be black walls (I got them for B/W price) the fella told me then that the next lot of B/Ws would be more expensive than the then current price for white walls There was a huge price hike around that time Plus the $ conversion was not in our favour

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron Lawson said:

Matt When I bought the tyres for my car and they were supposed to be black walls (I got them for B/W price) the fella told me then that the next lot of B/Ws would be more expensive than the then current price for white walls There was a huge price hike around that time Plus the $ conversion was not in our favour

Your up early today Ron. 

Getting the wheels on today made me feel like I’d got it to a certain stage for some reason. Almost like I could breath a sigh of relief. 
I want to take it for a little drive around the yard this weekend if all goes well. Still a few bits to do before I can do that. 
A quick look back at a couple of before and after pics. 
4DCBC448-E2DE-458F-ACCF-94A0D0A2F14A.jpeg.8cb8844ed2030dd14e06fd52364d4beb.jpeg

How she was found and advertised in the paddock. 
0B3B9631-EE76-4CB0-A9FA-FC3ED6541FF1.jpeg.23bc41930023c9685abbcbcda7ee095e.jpeg
Today

7F7C2190-ECC7-46E9-B913-05723FE90AC3.jpeg.9f7bd013e341181f01ecf1d2f799068f.jpeg

The day I got it home 

A5F22033-7F13-4697-B894-F795DE735A04.jpeg.f454e5f0678be3ed7c3840823c7c38bd.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks fellas but you guys are definitely not silly nor inadequate, My restoration has not been done on my own. I may of done all the physical work on it, but without the help from Peter Johnson and everyone on the forum it would make doing a restoration like this much more difficult. The help, contacts, years of knowledge freely given and friendship’s made while doing this is as good as if not better than the restoration itself. Special thanks to my lovely wife Jude for putting up with me while I’ve been  like a dog with a bone doing this. 
I’ve still got a bit to go with all the wiring and upholstery. We may even get a few laughs while I’m attempting to do that. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kenendcindyc said:

It looks great, but I’m kinda sad to see it allmost finished, it’s been great to watch your progress. Thank you for posting as much as you did, it’s been great. 

Thanks Ken

One reason I post on the forum is so if anyone else tackles a Victory six sports roadster or similar their is information and pictures there for them. Some parts have be hard to find information about. Documenting it all here saves it forever. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

Documenting it all here saves it forever. 

Almost true, I documented over 4 years of restoration on mine, and the server lost it, and not found on the backups...I restarted it and titled it "Lost Topic" over in the Dodge Truck forum...Be sure you print your thread and scan it....you never know.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

Almost true, I documented over 4 years of restoration on mine, and the server lost it, and not found on the backups...I restarted it and titled it "Lost Topic" over in the Dodge Truck forum...Be sure you print your thread and scan it....you never know.

That would be annoying. 

52 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Looks great Matt, I hope it gives you decades of service. I can send you a few to keep you occupied, how about an '18 sedan to start? 

Thanks Doug 

Sounds like a good plan, There’s every chance we’ll find you in it when it gets here and we open the door though I reckon. Haha 

9 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

Don’t know if this will work but here’s the first drive around the yard. 

everything seems to work so far. 

Matt you look like a little kid in his first pedal car A DB Victory Sports Roadster of course Mate I am so happy for you Jude Sounded tickled pink as well taking the video Congratulations cobber we are proud of you 

• Thanks 1