1957 Plymouth Fury - Best in the world

• 2 weeks later...

Given the considerable money and time someone has clearly invested here I'm sure that if there was a way for them to have made that molding on the drivers door line up better then they would have done so? Maybe they were intentionally trying to be true to the original level of quality/ fit and finish? Maybe there's something to that whole Christine curse thing because I would absolutely hang myself If I had to walk by that molding everyday:P. I'm sure many will think I'm being insulting but I'm rather insulted that I took the time to open link reading "automotive perfection-grade #1 show car" only to see a 1/4 inch of driver door sag! Shame on me for picking someone's car apart but shame on them for touting it as "better than new".  The rest of the car is spectacular! -It's the automotive equivalent of wearing an Armani tuxedo and then strolling around the party with your fly open!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It's estimated that there are only about sixty '57 Fury's left. The gentleman that commissioned the restoration was familiar with some of the other ones worldwide that still exist. Apparently there is one in private ownership in New Zealand whose condition approaches this one, but it doesn't have its original motor. So hence that claim, although, even outside of that, can you show me a better one? 🤔

3 hours ago, cascadia said:

It's estimated that there are only about sixty '57 Fury's left. The gentleman that commissioned the restoration was familiar with some of the other ones worldwide that still exist. Apparently there is one in private ownership in New Zealand whose condition approaches this one, but it doesn't have its original motor. So hence that claim, although, even outside of that, can you show me a better one? 🤔

3 hours ago, cascadia said:

So this is the proof  that you use to claim yours as the best??  Do you have any awards from the AACA or accepted Mopar exclusive experts? What about the cars from Finland and Sweden? Or the cars from Canada? Was yours the one on display at MoparFest in New Hamburg, Ontario?

Or this one in Hemmings for sale? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/fury/2332345.html

Don't take offense, but as pointed out the side trim alignment is a glaring point of distraction.

• Like 2

It indeed was shown at various meets in Canada, as that was where it was restored and owned since 2008.

I'm glad you posted the link for the one on Hemmings, as far as I know that's the only other one actively listed for sale right now.  Take a good look at the pictures of that car.

10 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

If you call your car "the best in the world" that really opens the door for critique. It's a very nicely restored 1957 Fury. But how did you have it rated as the best in the world?

Its like a girl who would say : I am the best looking girl in the world .

Nobody knows if there is a better car somewhere in this world behind a closed door .I do agree its very good looking and one of the best in the world .

I think it was just the choice of wording that opened it up for critique.  If it had originally stated one of the best in the world or could be the best in the world or possibly best one available for sale or listed at this time.  It's all wording.  Bring in the lawyers.  Devil is in the details. 

I always try when emailing or writing ads,  to re read them and modify them,  probably much like you do Matt before i hit the submit button to make sure everything I state is correct and nothing can be construed as misleading. Hell even my literature is listed as decent shape with some wear when much of it is in near mint condition and i was the first person to take it out of the Ford mailing box from the 1950's.  Even with the Ford which was far from perfect,  there wasn't really any complaints other than a crooked door handle and possibly wrong air cleaner.  But then the car was never construed as perfect.  Like yours they are listed for what they are and not overhyped. 

This is a beautiful car and someone spent the bank.  Good luck with the sale. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 4

ANYTHING can be construed as misleading if you're dumb enough. However, saying things like "the best in the world" is not illegal nor fraudulent. It's called puffery and while such statements may not be factual, they are also not disprovable and a reasonable person would not interpret such a statement as a guarantee that this is unquestionably the best in the world--there could always be one better but the seller (and buyer) would have no way to know for certain. I avoid using absolutes of any kind when describing a car because there's always some smart guy nit-picker who will focus on that one detail and make my life miserable, usually just to amuse himself. But it isn't technically illegal or fraudulent to say something is the best of its kind.

This is also why dealers (including myself) use hedge words like "believed to be." As soon as we start talking in absolutes, some smart guy gets all butthurt and starts making trouble. Such hedging tends to annoy people because it implies dishonesty or a lack of knowledge, but it is almost always intentional and not ignorance. Being specific invites a different set of problems--ironically, those problems typically come from people who aren't even interested in buying the car. It's a lose-lose in this hobby. You should see the comments on my YouTube pages. Spend a night reading the ones I've deleted and you'll want to put the loud end of a shotgun in your mouth.

I have started to believe that no car dealer sets out to be dishonest but that the clientele drive the weaker ones to it. Eventually they just say "screw it" and let the idiots fall on their own swords. I'm aware of it and hopefully that will help keep me from going over the edge someday, but I certainly understand the mindset of someone who is fed up with the smart-asses and nit-pickers and just lets the chips fall where they may. I always liked presenting a car as completely and thoroughly as possible so that there were no secrets. Nevertheless, I am strongly considering scaling back my descriptions and using fewer photos because--instead of adding details that are useful to a buyer--they instead seem to just open up avenues for people to try to make trouble for me. This is why most auction catalogs talk a lot about the marque and the history and the colors and all that non-specific stuff, but offer very little of substance when it comes to the actual car in question. The hobby demands specifics but then uses them as a weapon against the guy providing them.

Caveat Emptor is still pretty well established case law, particularly with used cars. It still doesn't protect you from anonymous jerks on the internet.

• Like 5

I certainly didn't plan starting an online argument over semantics, and didn't expect that folks would get outraged 🙄 over some minor flaws on the car that instantly prove that my title must be a horrible, heinous lie! 

I really do feel that this is the best example of a '57 Fury in the world, and do politely invite anyone to show me a better one. But I don't want to make enemies in the process.

Your points are well taken Matt H, I sell most of my cars on bringatrailer, where armchair critics (who have no intention of buying) love to point out every little flaw, real or imagined.  It does get tiring.

• Like 5

Beautiful car - good luck with the sale! 

...meanwhile, while we appear to have drifted into the proper etiquette on the Cars For Sale forum...    ...has anyone seen this post on the General Discussion Board...   We could expand the replies to that post to include the etiquette around what is appropriate in a reply or comment to a Cars For Sale post....    and not clutter this post with any more "rabbit trails"   ...just a suggestion

I've seen this car IF it's the one that's been on display in Canada at Moparfest. It's a fantastic looking car.  I'm a huge Forward Look fan and have had the privilege to check out many very nice examples here in Canada as well as a few USA shows. I have friends in Northern Europe who are far more experienced than me in Exner fin cars. They are always having me keep an eye out for cars and have helped keep these cars on the forefront.

This is a high dollar restored car for certain. Good luck on a successful sale. 

• Thanks 1

You can bring the trim into line easily enough. I’ve done them this way. The nut holding the end clip has to be loosened, take a small 1x2 piece of pine wrapped in cloth or tape, hold it against the bottom of the trim and tap up slightly with your plastic hammer. There is enough wiggle room to move it.At the least it’s a difficult car to restore and you’ve done a fine job.

Edited by RiKi5156B
Sp (see edit history)

I thought there was a forum rule about negative comments on cars for sale by their owner. I can't say for sure because I have one of the finest minds in the world, but it is getting full and I might have had to forget something important for room to remember it.

I do remember a rumor that Cinderchristine was hidden away and really the fairest of them all.