Needed: '65 Riv outer fenders - both sides

DShoes

Gentlemen,

I'm still in the market for outer fenders - both passenger and driver side - for my '65 Riv base model. Rust free and straight. Shipping costs are a back breaker given the size so West Coast is preferred as I am in Seattle.

I appreciate any and all leads.

Yes, I've tried Larry Daisy and he's all out. 

Thank You!

David

If you don't find any on the West Coast, contact David Jackson in Detroit. He normally has a good inventory of body parts. He should be on the ROA membership roster on the ROA site.

He also haunts most of the Buick parts groups on Facebook.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

If you don't find any on the West Coast, contact David Jackson in Detroit. He normally has a good inventory of body parts. He should be on the ROA membership roster on the ROA site.

Good luck!

Thanks NC. I will definitely keep David in

mind.

4 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Good luck!

Just an FYI ...

I checked with David a while back, he did say he had some good fenders but he didn't really want to, or trust, shipping them. So, for me being in NC picking them up would be a pretty long trip, and for you, being in Seattle, it would be HUGE.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crazy4cruz said:

Get in contact with Tim Sweeley at www.rivicentral.com

Tim is located in Sacramento, CA and typically has what folks are looking for.

Thanks Richard. I tried Tim previously and he was....interesting...to deal with. Didn't seem particularly interested in gaining customers.

1 hour ago, DShoes said:

I tried Tim previously and he was....interesting...to deal with. Didn't seem particularly interested in gaining customers.

I’ve heard the same thing many times

call this guy, Mario (909) 786-5323. He’s in SoCal. Not as close to u as Sacramento but closer than Detroit haha

6 minutes ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I’ve heard the same thing many times

call this guy, Mario (909) 786-5323. He’s in SoCal. Not as close to u as Sacramento but closer than Detroit haha

Thanks David. I'll give Mario a call. Have you worked with him in the past? What's your connection to him?

I got a '64 fender shipped by Greyhound terminal to terminal from Virginia to western New York for $115. A '53 Jaguar large sedan came from Minnesota for a little less. So don't limit your search until you know for sure.

Some body parts from the east are not as "cooked" as the southern California stuff.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I got a '64 fender shipped by Greyhound terminal to terminal from Virginia to western New York for $115. A '53 Jaguar large sedan came from Minnesota for a little less. So don't limit your search until you know for sure.

Some body parts from the east are not as "cooked" as the southern California stuff.

Bernie

Just curious Bernie, how long ago was that? Recently?

2 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

Friends & I have purchased parts from Mario in the past. Good guy. A couple years ago I saw he had a stack of fenders 

That’s great to hear. Thanks. I gave him a call today and he said he’d send some photos of what he had tomorrow. Fingers crossed....

14 hours ago, DShoes said:

Just curious Bernie, how long ago was that? Recently?

The '64 Riviera fender was shipped about a year and a half ago. The Jaguar right front would have been in '14.

It is important to think about those southwestern parts that have been exposed to the sun. I have seen some deep surface pitting that even showed through fresh paint jobs. I am sure the painter thought it was properly prepared. Maybe the newer surfacers will work better, but finding one from a milder, salt free climate would be my preference.

I have seen shapes similar to the big Jaguar sedans get on a Greyhound.

IMG_0018.JPG.a89150f4c2127101832b7decdf85e309.JPG

But they were softer and easy to squeeze in. I only got the fender.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 1:37 PM, DShoes said:

Gentlemen,

I'm still in the market for outer fenders - both passenger and driver side - for my '65 Riv base model. Rust free and straight. Shipping costs are a back breaker given the size so West Coast is preferred as I am in Seattle.

Yes, I've tried Larry Daisy and he's all out. 

Thank You!

David

There is a decent looking pair of 65 front fenders for sale on Facebook Marketplace in Springfield, IL. $350 for the set.

Ed

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

There is a decent looking pair of 65 front fenders for sale on Facebook Marketplace in Springfield, IL. $350 for the set.

Ed

Quite a bit of patchwork needed for these. More than I'm willing to take on. Thank you for keeping an eye out, Ed!

7 hours ago, abandg said:

David, I do have fenders but shipping across the country could be a pain. If you set up a shipper I can dig out 2 65 fenders. I have about 25 fenders and my wife will probably scrap them when I'm gone. Gene 610-359-8901

IMG_1930.JPG

Gene, wow! That's quite an impressive collection you've got there. Maybe we can talk about an upper front bumper as well?  I'll do some research on the shipping. I know they will want dimensions. From your experience, how big is a pair of fenders boxed up? 

Edited by DShoes (see edit history)

On 10/17/2019 at 10:10 PM, RockinRiviDad said:

Friends & I have purchased parts from Mario in the past. Good guy. A couple years ago I saw he had a stack of fenders 

I was making progress with Mario on the right passenger fender but he went dark on me and is no longer responding. Disappointing.

11 minutes ago, DShoes said:

I was making progress with Mario on the right passenger fender but he went dark on me and is no longer responding. Disappointing.

I have dealt with him a few times also,always great to work with as david said a good guy.  He is a very busy man, all the times i have been there he has multiple cars he is dismantleing. Keep trying 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 3:24 PM, DShoes said:

Gene, wow! That's quite an impressive collection you've got there. Maybe we can talk about an upper front bumper as well?  I'll do some research on the shipping. I know they will want dimensions. From your experience, how big is a pair of fenders boxed up? 

I shipped a fender for a '72 Riv a couple of years ago by Greyhound, terminal to terminal. I wrapped it in shrink wrap a couple times, then wrapped that with a couple layers of cardboard. It was the size of the fender, plus a few inches, and weighed 37 pounds. That cost a little over $100 from NC to PA.

On 11/1/2019 at 5:41 PM, abandg said:

David, I have about 70  63 to 65 bumpers. More items to scrap when I'm gone. Gene.

Gene, I am looking for a driver quality front upper for a 65. Do you have? I am in Staten Island, NY, probably driving distance to you for pick-up. Thanks.

Nick 

ROA 15937

Hey Gene & Ed!  If you will send me your wive's contact info I will make sure they are well cared for after you're gone. Let them know I'm financially secure, relatively good-looking (at least compared to you two), live in sunny Fla.(which is where they're heading anyway), & still have a few good yrs ahead of me. I hope this will bring you both peace of mind about their future. Of course they will have to help figure out what to do about my wife. She's a good one but not a great source for Riv parts. One must have priorities, you know.   I anxiously await your response,    Drew

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Hey Gene & Ed!  If you will send me your wive's contact info I will make sure they are well cared for after you're gone. Let them know I'm financially secure, relatively good-looking (at least compared to you two), live in sunny Fla.(which is where they're heading anyway), & still have a few good yrs ahead of me. I hope this will bring you both peace of mind about their future. Of course they will have to help figure out what to do about my wife. She's a good one but not a great source for Riv parts. One must have priorities, you know.   I anxiously await your response,    Drew

My profile picture on a couple of other forums.  I have no idea who the guy is in my avatar

1062804979_RivnutAvatar.jpg.c5af4557a08fb03cdf2c72aa3a482556.jpg

• 3 months later...

Morning Gentlemen,

I'm still in the market for outer fenders - both passenger and driver side - for my '65 Riv base model. Straight with as little rust possible, ideally. Prefer West Coast as I am in Seattle and shipping costs can be a back breaker.

I've tried Larry Daisy and he's all out. Tried Mario in SoCal and he's either out or does not respond. All American Classics in Vancouver, WA is checking. Tried Tim in California and he seemed...irritated...that I would ask. So the search continues.

Thank You!

David

• 3 weeks later...

Refreshing this. Hoping one option comes through in CA but won't know for a week as his uncle may buy the lot. Hard to beat out family.

Apparently Larry Daisy has some now but they are twice the cost of everything else I've seen, so reserving that for last option.

So...still looking for straight '65 fenders on the West Coast with no bondo. Thanks all.

14 minutes ago, DShoes said:

Refreshing this. Hoping one option comes through in CA but won't know for a week as his uncle may buy the lot. Hard to beat out family.

Apparently Larry Daisy has some now but they are twice the cost of everything else I've seen, so reserving that for last option.

So...still looking for straight '65 fenders on the West Coast with no bondo. Thanks all.

Just curious, what sort of pricing are you seeing?

Tom

On 2/10/2020 at 9:41 AM, DShoes said:

Morning Gentlemen,

I'm still in the market for outer fenders - both passenger and driver side - for my '65 Riv base model. Straight with as little rust possible, ideally. Prefer West Coast as I am in Seattle and shipping costs can be a back breaker.

I've tried Larry Daisy and he's all out. Tried Mario in SoCal and he's either out or does not respond. All American Classics in Vancouver, WA is checking. Tried Tim in California and he seemed...irritated...that I would ask. So the search continues.

Thank You!

David

Hi David,

Sorry to say, I don't think All American Classics will have any fenders for you.

I was in Portland over the Valentine's day weekend and went to All American to scout their yard for Rivi parts.  I spent quite a while walking around and was disappointed to see not a single first-Gen Riv in the lot.  In years past I did see up to 5-6 early Rivs in their yard, but not this time. I may have missed one hiding somewhere, but doubt it as I spent quite a while there and asked at the front counter and the grumpy guy extracting parts in the yard. They have two junk yards - a main large one and a smaller fenced-in compound behind the front office.  Here's where they keep the Corvette hulks and other presumed higher valued wrecks.  You have to ask permission to go into the inner compound, which I did.  No Rivs to be seen there either.  I did however take this pic of a fairly complete '66 Toro that was there:

1168020061_ToroatAllAmerican.thumb.jpg.d5e8256f0b3b6148e3172a627474f624.jpg

If you're lucky they may have gotten in a '65 Riv since I was there, so do follow up with them.

I think the '65 front fenders are different from the '63-64.  Did you know that?  I'd hate for you to buy the wrong fenders thinking they will fit your car!

Good luck with your search.

3 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I’m new to the Facebook thing. There are tons of guys there selling parts like there’s no tomorrow. You started this thread in October ‘19 & are still coming up short.

It wouldn’t hurt to go to FB & try looking there if u haven’t already. Good luck

Thanks RRD. I’m just recently part of a couple Riviera groups on FaceBook. You’re right on the parts. I did find a couple leads there pretty quick. One didn’t pan out and the other is TBD in a week. Fingers crossed.