THANKS FOR A GREAT HERSHEY!!!

Terry Bond

Before it gets buried in other threads someplace, let me give a big THANKS for a great Hershey 2019.  Everyone in Hershey Region, AACA, the vendors, spectators, and anyone even remotely connected deserves a pat on the back for helping make it one for the record books.  I found more great stuff in the market that I ever hoped to find, and between discoveries, stopping to visit with old friends in the aisles and behind the tables, was an absolute pleasure.  Whoever was in charge of weather needs to be signed to a l-o-n-g term contract too!

I can't remember seeing so many young folks walking around enjoying the event, it lifts my hopes that this hobby is alive and well for a long time to come.  I met many of them at my booth over in the Green Field, and am amazed at the numbers who are working on early vehicles. 

I heard so many times - it was the best ever, and I'm inclined to agree!

Terry

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yes, agreed, the naysayers can criticize if they wish, and I've done my share on different aspects, but overall this is a great event that's handled with dignity and is well organized.  What a huge undertaking, and what a great show (and weather) it was!

I had a friend with me this year who'd never been to Hershey.  At 8 am, he was talking as the National Anthem started, and I almost had to punch him.  When it concluded I told him, no exceptions, hand over heart and at attention, no kneeling at Hershey!

Great job, thanks to the Region and the AACA in general...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This really was one of the better ones. The weather is always a big factor, but I think there were more full vendor spaces than I've seen in quite a long time. I take that as a good sign.

I am always sure to thank every volunteer I see working the show--remember it's just a local region that puts the whole thing together and almost everyone working there is a volunteer. Be sure they know you appreciate their hard work!

And always tip the hell out of the guys and girls working the port-a-johns. That's literally a shaitty job and they do it with a smile.

• Like 3

Fantastic! As a vendor, was one of my better shows met new and old friends being buyers of past and many of my AACA forum friends stopped by for a quick Hello, I did not get away much but people traffic was a mob then a breather then a mob. Great weather and had our friends from other countries they come along way to keep the hobby and Preservation of the Antique Automoble alive from abroad and they spend a bunch just to get here from places they told me like Poland, Norway, Sweeden, Great Britan,  Austrailia, New Zealand, Spain, Netherlands, Mexico  Overall Thank you to all staff and first responders,and volunteers.Thanks! 

There is no other event like it and hasn't been for decades. I was so glad to be attending  for my 54th year in a row and to see so many good friends - A.J. San Clememte, Doug Seybold, Byron York, Mark Desh, Dick Burnham, Bob Cornman, Steve Ryder,  Richard Lentinello the list goes on and on for people from the USA and my 5 friends from Germany, 3 from England. Plus the sincere pleasure to meet and talk to in person to Stacy Zimmerman and Chris Ritter .

To all the volunteers who put in the untold hours to make this the premier car event in the world for so many people - THANK YOU. You are sincerely appreciated.

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention how much I really appreciated all of you who read my stories in Hemmings Classic Car and the ones I used to contribute to the CCCA magazine , who made an effort to say hello. Thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoy the some what off beat automotive topics I write about! 

For the most part, the only reason we know each other, that brings us together and has thus formed everlasting friendships is our love for used cars ! Call them antiques, classics, master pieces of design, they are still used cars, and think of that when you next tell someone what your hobby is - you collect used cars. 🤣 That you just traveled how many miles, spent how much $ on hotels, food, gasoline etc to view thousands of spaces of used car parts.

This coming winter when it is cold and the wind is blowing, ice is everywhere - think of the warm days at Hershey, at the 2019 AACA Eastern Fall meet.

• Like 6

Thank you Hershey Region and everyone in AACA that made Hershey 2019 such a great time. This was 50 in a row for me, they all sort of blend in, but some events stand out and you can put a year on it. For me the four airplanes doing fly overs with smoke trails was the highlight of 2019. Who are these guys, we want them back in 2020. Bob 

• Like 3

I have been coming since 1970 at age 12. Missed a few years in High School and College but none since 1982. This year's had the best weather I can remember with 5 straight days without rain and mild temps. Our area in the Red Field was much fuller than recent years and bigger crowds. Hats off to Hershey Region for all the work. I heard the Hershey Hanover Tour had good weather too. Hope to have my 12 McLaughlin on it next year. 

Was a wonderful event. It is habit forming. I wont repeat what everyone else said, I agree with it all, and the event gets better every year. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you to everyone involved!

Somebody has to complain, so let me start. First: I had so many customers and made so many sales, I couldn’t get away from my spaces to walk the fields until Saturday at noon. Second: The Sun was so bright I came home with a wonderful sunburn. Third: Between the Hershey Chocolate and the new food choices, I gained a few pounds. Yeah, not going back there for at least 358 days!

Edited by greenie (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

What a great time everyone (at least everyone I spoke to) had this year.   If people are losing interest in this hobby it sure didn't show here!   I too want to thank all of the volunteers that make this such a great event.  I especially want to thank the crossing guards that literally risk their lives stopping the traffic on a very busy road hundreds of times a day.   I know I made NUMEROUS trips across the road carrying all sorts of stuff .  Thanks again to everyone  -  already looking forward to next year!!

• Like 2

Many THANKS to all the Hershey Region members, AACA National personnel and all other AACA members that worked so hard to make this year's Fall Meet such a Great event. Also thanks to the Flea Market vendors that stuck around until Friday afternoon. Contrary to popular belief, most of my purchases were on Thursday and FRIDAY this year so those vendors that stuck around had some sales from me and my friends who also made purchases.

Our vendor spaces were hopping this year an we did extremely well.  Our spaces were in Chocolate and Green.  I heard from some vendors that they were sold out very early.  Sadly, not everyone can have a banner year.  Good to hear the hotel has lowered their rate.  There are a few new hotels in the area now and that is good as their will be more competition for rooms.  At least two more hotels in Derry Township are in the planning stages.  Maybe they will get to the point of competing on price!!!   That would be nice!

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

This year is my first trip to Hershey . I am flying in from the UK to Washington Dulles and driving to Hershey on the Tuesday 6 October 2020 . Can you give any me  insights  to which area  I can book a hotel within 15  - 30  minutes  drive to Hershey ground. I am happy for any recommendations of hotels as well. 

Thanks  

You’re a little late starting to look for a room. The decent hotels within 30 minutes of Hershey Park have already jacked their rates. I booked a Best Western on the north side of Harrisburg two months ago at $100/night; now it’s $200. I suggest you search on Expedia. Set the location as Harrisburg-Hershey.. We like the area where Union Deposit Rd meets I-83. Union Deposit Rd takes you north thru open farmland and ends directly opposite the Swap Meet field. Good luck!

• Like 1