secrets of adding transmission oil

tcslr

Empty pump bottle from hand wash or body wash or shampoo or similar.

I have a "syringe" that holds half a litre, specifically for this purpose. The glove is to keep the nozzle clean. If I can keep my attention on the job long enough (which is difficult) I can monitor how much I put in by counting the syringe loads.

OilSyringe.thumb.jpg.76d2f5d494e8f7965f2e0b8d0d06c098.jpg

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Put your container of oil in a pan of hot water for a couple of hours.  Makes it much easier.  A pump is best, a turkey baster is okay and a squeeze bottle works fine if you just warm the oil.

In my '28 Chrysler,  I pull the floor boards out and access it from the top. I use 1L Penrite T250 oil which I wedge in place and let gravity do its thing, the bottle is designed with a flexible  pouring nipple that pulls right out. 

T250001.thumb.png.a9a2ffde668681dcac5c45f863b4ff52.png

8 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Put your container of oil in a pan of hot water for a couple of hours.  Makes it much easier.  A pump is best, a turkey baster is okay and a squeeze bottle works fine if you just warm the oil.

Do not put the turkey baster back in the kitchen drawer when finished filling the transmission.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Do not put the turkey baster back in the kitchen drawer when finished filling the transmission.  

I wasn't caught with the turkey baster but I was caught with wire spoke wheel covers in the dishwasher.  I ate a lot of humble pie over that but they sure came out clean and shiny.

Isn't anyone going to mention the traditional method? This is a "Suction Gun":

fFluid_suction_gun__5_Magnolia_5d56e12d8

What you do is stick the hose into the bottle of gear oil, and suck some up inside the gun. Then, you put the hose into the transmission and push the plunger back in. Full disclosure: this will get gear oil on your hair, your armpits, the driveway, the floorpan, the exhaust, the paint, your kids, the cat, the neighbors dog, and any birds that happen to be flying overhead. If you are going to try it, buy extra oil.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm with Maok on my '31.

Lift the floor board.

Slip an 8" piece of silicone tube over the nozzle.

Plug it into the fill / check plug hole.

Lay the bottle across the top of the TX.

Go have a beer and watch motocross.

Come back in an hour and discard the bottle.

Save the tube for next time.

PS; Put pan under TX to catch the overflow

Mike in Colorado

3 hours ago, Tinindian said:

I was caught with wire spoke wheel covers in the dishwasher.  I ate a lot of humble pie over that but they sure came out clean and shiny.

Apparently you wife is not a reasonable person. 👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Tinindian said:

I wasn't caught with the turkey baster but I was caught with wire spoke wheel covers in the dishwasher.  I ate a lot of humble pie over that but they sure came out clean and shiny.

My solution after hearing how well a dishwasher did for wheel covers, especially the spoke type, was to move the old dishwasher to the garage. I put all sorts of greasy old car parts in it.

It works GREAT ! I just feed it with cold water, and it makes steam during the soak/wash process from the heating coil.👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

My solution after hearing how well a dishwasher did for wheel covers, especially the spoke type, was to move the old dishwasher to the garage.

That's a good way to MIGHTASWELL yourself into a full kitchen remodel... 

Not that I've ever done anything like that...

Worse, it the old dishwasher at a previous house, which got new appliances to make it sell faster. More like a house replacement instead of a kitchen remodel!😲

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Worse, it the old dishwasher at a previous house, which got new appliances to make it sell faster. More like a house replacement instead of a kitchen remodel!😲

You mean I'm not the only one who puts off those remodeling jobs until only the new owners get to appreciate them?

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 1:57 PM, Tinindian said:

I did that too, several years ago (1985?) whith the wheelcovers for our 1971 Buick convertible-

Ran the dishwasher a couple of times empty afterward,

but then my "car-guy" wife has learned to become extremely understanding of these situations-

and then again, 

she is an AACA Senior Master Judge

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, Bloo said:

Isn't anyone going to mention the traditional method? This is a "Suction Gun":

fFluid_suction_gun__5_Magnolia_5d56e12d8

What you do is stick the hose into the bottle of gear oil, and suck some up inside the gun. Then, you put the hose into the transmission and push the plunger back in. Full disclosure: this will get gear oil on your hair, your armpits, the driveway, the floorpan, the exhaust, the paint, your kids, the cat, the neighbors dog, and any birds that happen to be flying overhead. If you are going to try it, buy extra oil.

Much easier to use if you simply unscrew the hose end to fill it.

Easier to push with about half of that hose length.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 10:15 PM, iowa-k said:

Did "borrow" a old crock pot for greasy parts soaking in the heated simple green/water solution.

Anyone try this with Pine Sol for carburetor cleaning?