Ohhhh maaaaan...car show damage

keiser31

That's as bad as the concours back east a couple of years ago where a beautiful Classic was parked next to a golf course water hazard, and rolled right in 'til it sank out of sight. A one-in-a-thousand occurrence, but still heartbreaking.

• Like 1

As usual, Google is your friend:

http://thevintagent2011.blogspot.com/2010/08/pebble-beach-week-2010-quail.html

"The Best in Show car was a 1936 Delahaye 135 Competition 'Disappearing' Convertible, an elegant Deco sculpture, which itself nearly disappeared under the marquee behind the winner's podium, at the end of the day.  A freak accident which, amazingly, found no one nearby to injure... whether sabotage, a mischevious djinn, or plain ol' Friday the 13th, the inimitable sound of a $6 million car being crunched was a shock to everyone's sensibilities.  I shed a tear - not for the car, but for Gordon and Courtney, who didn't deserve such bad luck after all the effort to create this amazing event.  While ultimately an 'insurance moment', that sound and my shock have resonated for days hence, a memento mori: we are temporary caretakers of our treasures, and exit this world with nothing.  What truly matters can't be found within a machine."

• Like 4

If they are towed around and displayed at shows, they are going to get damaged. When I go to Concourse I don't drive in there at all, no point in it, and there is a huge risk, because even with show insurance, any accident no matter how slight is going to be a huge accident.  Million dollar cars sitting everywhere (Not mine of course).  I just park it and enjoy talking with the people.

-Ron