1998 Buick Riv.

Dandy Dave

Say folks, while working on an electric golf cart for a friend I ran across a 1998 Buick Riviera. I told him I'm partial to older Buicks and he said I could have that one free for the taking. It was his wife car and has been sitting for a while. He said it is a turbo model. I'll have to go get it and post some photos in a day or two. Wondering what you folks think about that model and year?  

• Like 2

Depending upon how long it's been dormant, you might do well to drop the fuel tank and clean it out.  Plus a new OEM-spec fuel pump/strainer for good measure.  From there, possibly a new fuel pressure regulator (rubber diaphragm in them).  From there, some fresh fluids, TLC, and possibly a new (smaller) oil filter wrench?  Look at the date code on the tires, too!

Price sounds RITE!

NTX5467

• Like 1

Sweet.  We borrowed one for nearly half the trip to Springfield.  They are nice, comfortable cars.  We have looked at one or two locally, but the price wasn’t right.  Last generation supercharged Riviera...nice assuming it’s properly sorted out.  As noted earlier, the price is right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

Depending upon how long it's been dormant, you might do well to drop the fuel tank and clean it out.  Plus a new OEM-spec fuel pump/strainer for good measure.  From there, possibly a new fuel pressure regulator (rubber diaphragm in them).  From there, some fresh fluids, TLC, and possibly a new (smaller) oil filter wrench?  Look at the date code on the tires, too!

Price sounds RITE!

NTX5467

Fuel  filter for sure but taking the tank down in one of these is not an option, as it's above the trailing axle and not easy if even can be done easily.

My mom's '95 had basically been sitting since 2012 driven occasionally, the transmission leaked like a sieve, I changed the filter on Easter sunday and it doesn't leak anymore, even used the original gasket! I think I'll look at the fuel filter tomorrow, I don't know if it's ever been changed but good idea!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

but taking the tank down in one of these is not an option, as it's above the trailing axle and not easy if even can be done easily.

Besides , they may have plastic tanks.  I believe the fuel pump is accessed through a panel in the floor of the trunk. 

• Like 1

OK. Was parked because the owners wife decided she needed a 4WD vehicle to go skiing up in the mountains with. Was driven for a while by an employee of the company that my friend owned. (Farm machinery sales  and service.) Has been sitting since 2009.  A decade dormant looking at the registration.  

• Like 1

Think how good it will look when cleaned...........

Check the supercharger oil...........see attached photo........... pull the plug that has an allen wrench socket and the supercharger oil should be full but not running out (like checking an old lawn mower engine)

GM has a special snake oil for the supercharger ......don't know if anyone has figured out a cheaper substitute oil.

Dscn0874.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I gave it a good washing under the hood and got rid of the critter nests. Have yet to put a battery in it and see if it even cranks. Thanks for the info on the Super charger Barney. I'll be sure to check it. My better other half fell and broke her hip joint and was in the hospital and rehab so that was taking up quite a bit of my time these last weeks. She is home now and getting around with a walker. 

• Like 1

Dave, I hope your wife does well.

I have a 1995 which I've had for quite some time.

I got it because it has the very unusual gear-shift

on the steering column, and a cloth 60-40 front seat.

The color is similar to yours--so here's what yours may

look like once it's all cleaned and detailed:

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)