How do you know if you a car collector in the family

nick8086

Well, I seem to be both the collector and the family mechanic.

I've worked on everything from Chevy trucks to few years old 7-series BMWs.

I would imagine being a collector and being the family mechanic kind of go hand in hand.

My oldest Grandson three years ago when he was four ripping a wheel out of a tire. The expression on his face was priceless, wish I'd captured it on film. He loves the Hershey swap meet, even plays Hershey with toy trucks & parts. 

Bob

DSCF4657.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I wish my son was interested in my cars.

I am very happy that my only child, my daughter, is very interested in old cars.

She desperately wants to get tall enough to learn how to drive both of my prewar cars and she helps out in the garage with maintenance.

Makes this Dad very proud.

Yes, I had my daughter much later than most decide to have children. I'll retire about the time she is finishing high school.

15 minutes ago, zepher said:

I am very happy that my only child, my daughter, is very interested in old cars.

She desperately wants to get tall enough to learn how to drive both of my prewar cars and she helps out in the garage with maintenance.

Makes this Dad very proud.

Yes, I had my daughter much later than most decide to have children. I'll retire about the time she is finishing high school.

You and me are similar in that I was 41 when our only child, a son, was born.  He too likes cars and especially automobilia.  He’s now lives and works on your side of the country while I’m in PA.  We exchange lots of pictures!

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

We were about the same age when we had our children.

She is going to give her old man a heart attack one of these days.  Haha.

• Thanks 1

One never knows.  My kid benefitted from the fact I wanted a motorcycle as  kid and could never get one.  3 dirtbikes, and a  mustang coupe didn't pique his interest in wrenching.  He does like to use the MB SL once in a while and he likes the gas and oil stuff but I don't see him restoring cars for a hobby.

Encourage interest if its there, othereise you find other common ground.  He is 10x the golfer I am, and was decent when I had time to play.

• Like 1

In my family I'm the only one I can think of who was inflicted with the collector gene....... :wacko:

I've been through many collecting phases none of which had any relation to the other.

My current, and LAST, are my cars which I'm done with too.

I can't afford another collecting phase and, thankfully, I'm not only satisfied but happy with the three I have now....... :) 

Of my two Sons, my younger has a real interest in vintage, stock cars. He’s currently 20 and “all over” any opportunity to drive or view vintage cars.  He has shown interest in mechanical repairs, but he’s limited for time there. He’s a full time university student working on a Science degree.  Each summer he’s busy earning enough to pay for the upcoming fall and winter semesters. I feel fortunate. However he’s likely unaware I groomed him for his vintage car affection. I nurtured him along for many years. 

I am a member of my local vintage car club. He’s driven club owned vintage cars in several parades. From a 1928 Dodge, a 1953 Austin,   A 1934 Ford, a 1942 Ford and my ‘53 Windsor, he’s giddy with them all. 

Since he was 15 and bought his own first car I have guided him along, while he learned vehile maintenance and repair. All my tools are for both my sons to use freely. Respectfully. 

My older son (22) is a graduate with a business degree. On his way to being an professional accountant. Although he has little interest in vintage cars, he can be found under his own car at regular service intervals. The senior accountants at his place of employment are like, “Huh? Why?”. Lol. 

As you can tell I’m pretty proud of ‘em both. My younger Son has already told me I can never sell my ‘53 car. He wants it some day. 

Life’s good!!

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)