What is Wrong With This Packard?

About 5 years back a young lady posted about a 39 120 sedan she inherited, consensus was her dad or someone filled quarter window on it, a relatively rough project car.

If you are still looking for a nice 30s car Greg, you might consider the 35 120 club sedan in this month's hmn.  I know the car, he is one state over and a long term owner.  Just aging out, which we are sadly seeing a lot these days.  It is legit, sidemounts as well, a nice quality interesting Packerd, has it all except CCCA acceptance.

An attractive car whether factory or someones later conversion (also notice the "appropriate" rounded rear door corner and how drip molding extend to door hinge area) - if solid and in decent condition it will make a nice car - look at it, have someone look at it for you, or insist on 200 more pictures. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Greg, I'm not sure, but I wonder if maybe you're unfamiliar with club sedans as a whole? There should be a wide variety on Google, if you are interested. John Mereness's observation about the drip rail being appropriately curved leads me to think that this club sedan isn't someone's handiwork, but a genuine one of a kind prototype. I think that it's a possible value and worth checking out.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I don't know if it's a prototype but I'll admit I've never seen that body style before on the 120 platform. Traditionally club sedans have been shorter than a regular sedan with the rear seat ahead of the rear axle (hence the term "close coupled" sedan). Here's my '29 Cadillac, which is a standard 5P sedan, compared to a '30 club sedan:

29Cad1.thumb.jpg.893fa6ed9e33e7c1971684b387bfe002.jpg

006.jpg

That seems to have changed through the '30s and by the time my '35 Lincoln was built, it was not much more than a difference between two windows and three in the same body shell (although I think Packard still made "close coupled" club sedans through '37 or '38). I guess my Lincoln is technically a club sedan even though it's little more than a standard sedan with the quarter windows blocked off like the Packard, above. Is it worth noting that I've never seen another one and can't even find a photo of one on Google? It's certainly unusual. But I still don't think that makes it any kind of rare prototype. 

1012252292_Lincoln3.thumb.jpg.239c609995f08642acecbbe38ad4f816.jpg

Image result for 1935 lincoln sedan

I agree with Matt, I would probably not call it a one-off as much as just an oddity.  Perhaps, Packard made such for the Canadian, European, South American, or ... market.   Perhaps, a 1940 body on a 1939 drivetrain/trim.  Or, perhaps someone just liked to weld (but in this case fine as looks good and price certainly is not out of line).

I did see pictures of a "Bohman & Schwartz car, but the Bohman & Schwartz part is the running board delete, replacement lower sill, and chrome gravel guard on the rear fender (typical of several Packards I have seen - there is even one locally in a 39 or 40 160 Convertible) in various series car and very much a "thing" that company did. 

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/ds-1940-packard-120-custom-club-sedan/

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Packard added the four window club sedan for only the 1940 Eighteenth Series to the 120, 160 and 180 127" wheelbase models, none in 1939 Seventeenth Series, dropped it for 1941.  Presumably this was in anticipation of the new Clipper to arrive mid-season.  

This car was discussed on our PackardInfo Forum at one time when it was offered on Craigslist.   Some conclusion were drawn on how it may have come to be.  I'll locate the topic and post a link.

Steve 

• Like 2

Thanks Steve, I would like to read that info.

And thanks to all who have replied. This car has been for sale for quite a while, which seems odd to me as I also think the price is fair. It is not that far away from Palm Springs so I think I will go look at it this week.

John, thanks for the tip on the door edge and drip rail. I had not spotted that.

Greg

GregLaR

Here's the link:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20543&forum=4&post_id=202101#forumpost202101

Includes another link to a AACA Forum thread where this car has been discussed before.

Anytime one runs across a club or formal sedan of questionable origin, the telltale is always the upper rear door frame which if its original will have the correct curved form and conforming drip molding.  No one trying to create a club or formal sedan from the six window styles bothers to go to the trouble to get this key detail correct.  Simply closing or "blanking out" the quarter window doesn't do the job.  Not surprisingly, these ersatz efforts always seem to be credited to a custom coachbuilder with commensurate prices.

Steve 

Greg, others will correct me or add additional info to my thoughts here, if they feel inclined. I just want to say that I always think of close-coupled sedans or club sedans as sort of classy and intimate up scale urban vehicles. I don't think of them as family cars. I'm sorry, but Plymouth never offered a club sedan in '38!( LOL)

Pierce Arrow:

1937 Pierce-Arrow 1702 Club Sedan

• Like 1

The seller's ad says it is a rare prototype, and it does not appear to me there is room for a quarter window in this body style (except a very small triangular one). So my vote goes with the seller's description, and I'm betting he did more research than any of us. A steal at $11K.

• Like 1

If you follow Steve's link to the Packard discussion, then their link back to an AACA discussion, you will see Greg's asking about this car in 2017!😲

Hey, it comes with a necker knob!😉

Are the clear/white lights below the headlamps a Packard accessory?

They were building traditional club sedans in 1937:

1937-packard-120-club-sedan-1.jpg

However, it does look like they were building cars like the one in the ad in 1940, so maybe the prototype story holds water? Or is it just a '40 body on a '39 chassis? Or a '40 that has mix-and-match parts on the nose and a typo on the title?

1940-packard-one-twenty-120-four-door-club-sedan-1.jpg

ebay175191.jpg

We may never know...

Matt, I agree it might be any of those possibilities. Would not be unheard of a company having a "next year body" ready in July/August and plunk it on a current year chassis to meet demand if they were out of current year bodies. A good forensic restorer could likely narrow the answers. Regardless, a nice example of a pretty rare car.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

IMHO a 35 to 37 jr. Club sedan, even the 115 6, is a really cool, affordable Packard.  I would avoid the subject car, too much question as to whether its fish or fowl...

Nice examples like the 35 in MA or the one Matt posted are out there. 🙂

16 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

If you follow Steve's link to the Packard discussion, then their link back to an AACA discussion, you will see Greg's asking about this car in 2017!😲

Yes Frank, I noticed that as well. I had forgotten that I'd asked about this very same car a couple of years ago. Like I said, it's been for sale quite a long time, at an affordable price, so I can only guess that many have looked and passed on it.

23 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Ain't it fun to tease the Rolls-Royce guys about their Clipper knock offs.

image.png.f06fc552d46c212d6f8cd11cf24f4480.png

All that RR above has are dark-tinted quarter windows.    Here is a 1967 Phantom V James Young with NO quarter windows like the Packard(s) being discussed.

10ip052.jpg

1967_Rolls_Royce.jpg