How do you pick a car show to go to?

nick8086

If I have the time, my car would 'fit in' with the other vehicles slated to be there and the drive isn't too horrible, I try to attend.

Problem for me, is that shows for stock 20's motorcars are getting harder to find.

• Like 3

In Pennsylvania, where antique cars are numerous,

one could attend two or three different shows most week-ends.

One of our region members, with his wife, attends

50 to 60 shows every season.

I usually avoid shows that have street rods:  The presence

of street rods often means that they aren't serious shows

for antiques.  I'll choose shows that have a fairly large

number of cars, and a wide variety, so I can see some

different things.  The location is always important, since

it's more enjoyable to sit in a leafy green park or on the

quiet, narrow streets of a historic town, rather than in a hot and

featureless parking lot of a highway-interchange motel.

(Photo shows one of our members on just such a quiet street.)

Some community events have other activities too--

such as craft shows, book sales, an antique show--

that add to the fun.

2016 Gettysburg show Sept (14).JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, nick8086 said:

I just want to show up at a car show - that will never see a kaiser darrin in their life time...

I know Kaiser didn't make all that many of that model,

but one year at Hershey, one of our local members

exhibited his Darrin--and right beside it was ANOTHER Darrin

in exactly the same color!

Hershey-1954 Kaiser Darrin 1.JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

9 hours ago, nick8086 said:

I just want to show up at a car show - that will never see a kaiser darrin in their life time...

Funny thing but don’t bet on it... I took my “new” car to a show thinking that very same thing, but 20 minutes after I arrived another Pierce pulled in and parked right next to mine! 80 to 90% of the show was post war cars, heavy on the 60’s and 70’s, and there were a few different people who commented that they had never heard of a Pierce-Arrow before and now here’s two of them... 

Of course, mine drew a bigger crowd... nothing like an unrestored car!

C2FE649C-C903-4DB3-B6AF-F672D5A20F71.jpeg

0B041C43-74EF-4DB6-955C-77ECC1944E6F.jpeg

16AEBB0E-891F-4560-9785-3D08C769D678.jpeg

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
  • Like 4

So even a Kaiser Darrin or a PA owner can go to a show and see one's self.  Not sure if I would be annoyed or not? 🤔😉 Actually that is pretty cool!!

I look for prewar emphasis.  We have a 30 and 89 hobby car now.  Both in my mind are cool, but when I think show, I want running boards, cranks, side curtains and even wide whitewalls.  🙂

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

So even a Kaiser Darrin or a PA owner can go to a show and see one's self.  Not sure if I would be annoyed or not? 🤔😉 Actually that is pretty cool!!

I look for prewar emphasis.  We have a 30 and 89 hobby car now.  Both in my mind are cool, but when I think show, I want running boards, cranks, side curtains and even wide whitewalls.  🙂

I’m a dinosaur........I don’t think of any post war car as a hobby car. Anything post 1960 to me is simply a modern car. I’m getting old!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Tsk Tsk Ed.    I'm has hard core  as you but I would like any of the following at some point:

0.  51 Dodge Wayfarer "Roadster"

1.  53 Skylark

2.  63 R2 4 speed Avanti

3.  66 TriPower GTO Convertible 4 speed.

4.  73 LS4 Chevelle 4 speed

5.  80 Z28 350 4 speed.

As for which show to go to.   I go to the ones that I have friends attending.  Which means I don' t go to a lot of shows.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

take a look at who is sponsoring the show, and possibly contact them in advance.  It's normally pretty obvious if it's going to be a "rods and used corvettes" show

The problem that I have is at the local Corvette show is very few C1's and the rest are new Corvette's practically right off the show room floor.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Let the record show alsancle and his dad drove 2+ hours to attend and support our smallish AACA meet here in CT a while back.  Fun! 🙂

Steve,  see my comment on only going to shows where I know friends will be.  That year it was your show or Pebble,  I think we made the right choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

I’m a dinosaur........I don’t think of any post war car as a hobby car. Anything post 1960 to me is simply a modern car. I’m getting old!

I spent the day at the local HCCA Fall Meet at age 10 back in 1961 cut off was 1942 produced vehicles. I knew what a Brass Era car was, CCCA Classic, and 1936-42 production car, my opinion hasn't changed in all these years. Post war sports cars up to 1965 are in a class of their own. In don't show any cars, but a swap meet that goes with the show is a must for me. Rhinebeck is this weekend! Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I know Kaiser didn't make all that many of that model,

but one year at Hershey, one of our local members

exhibited his Darrin--and right beside it was ANOTHER Darrin

in exactly the same color!

Hershey-1954 Kaiser Darrin 1.JPG

I'll take the 1966 Pontiac GTO in the background.

5 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

The problem that I have is at the local Corvette show is very few C1's and the rest are new Corvette's practically right off the show room floor.

A couple of friends have early C'1s and they say the same thing. Don't know where you live, but that's the way it is in Prescott AZ. 

Forgot to mention 90+% of the guys that own those new Corvette's don't do any work on them-even simple oil changes!

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Bob are you setting up at Rhinebeck?

AJ has it right, it is more about friends it seems every year....  🙂

I think when you boil any avocation down to its core it ends up being a social thing.   I've noticed when I have owned a car with a very limited following I don't get the same enjoyment because there aren't as many guy to commiserate with.   Although, you can usually find a good group of guys for any odd ball make.   I was surprised at the support group when I became a Reo Royale guy.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Bob are you setting up at Rhinebeck?

AJ has it right, it is more about friends it seems every year....  🙂

No, The New York Tax People killed all the swap meets for me as a vendor back in the late 1970's. If I can fill a milk crate with things I want it is a good swap meet, I have great memories of swap meets finds that sort of ended around 1975. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, nick8086 said:

I have notice that some cars show are hooking up with the barbecue events..

That is what I did today.. was putting  the grill together. They sold for 1K - I paid 600 for it.. and they gave me 100 worth of stuff for free... 

IMG_3376[14485].JPG

IMG_3382[14489].JPG

Just make sure the barbecue's are WELL AWAY from the show field! You would not believe all the smoke with grease those burgers can put on cars all dressed up for a show. A fine greasy film everywhere.

Nice score on the Traeger.

They are one of the best pellet smokers out there.

I picked up a Masterbuilt electric smoker a few months ago and I wonder how I ever lived without one for all these years.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

Because I live on Long Island it seems like it's getting harder and harder to get onto the mainland. The Cross Bronx Expressway or the Belt Parkway are the two direct routes, but it seems like the traffic gets worse every year. Combine the traffic, driving an antique car and having everyone ether honk their horn or try to drive with one hand and take a picture of my car makes it a "white knuckle drive". Most of the car shows I now attend are in New England. Now I leisurely drive out to the North Fork of the Island and take the ferry from Orient Point to New London and jump right on Route 95. Eliminates all that NYC nonsense. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 11:32 PM, nick8086 said:

How do you pick a car show to go to?

I assume you are talking about one where you bring a car?   I try for 3 of the bigger shows a year and one local.   The local is the only one I bring a car to and usually it is one of my dad's, not mine.

13 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

My cars are for driving, not (usually) for showing.  Other than Hershey, I don't enter shows I have to pay for.  I'll be happy to let you look at my car for free, but I'll be damned if I'll pay to have you come and look at it.

I agree with you to a point. Many of the local car shows (at least around here) are put on by local service clubs to raise funds for their charities. I support their efforts wholeheartedly. As for attending an antiques only event, I'd have to trailer one of the old girls to the Old Car Festival at Dearborn,MI. Everything near here is dominated by postwar and rods. Occasionally I will take one of the older cars to one of these shows.Last year the '25 Buick coupe won the "Fan Favorite" award at one .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nick8086 said:

It was nice that they have a new model..  I got the discontinued model..

I have a MHP Grill right now.. I know it was over 900.00 -  I owned it  for over  27 years..

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

See your pictures first thing in the morning and now I want to go hunt down some BBQ for lunch today.  :)

I wasn't going to smoke anything this weekend because I will be busy but I just may have to grab some baby backs and stay home for the day.

If the charity is charging the public to come and see the cars, so that my car's presence might draw more people and more money for the charity, then I'll take a car to help the charity.  But if the public gets in free, and I have to pay to enter my car, no way.  If it's a charity I choose to support, I'll donate the entry fee and then enjoy my day doing something else.  I have five pre-World-War-1 cars (one will be for sale soon), and I get no thrill out of spending a day surrounded by hot rods.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

If the charity is charging the public to come and see the cars, so that my car's presence might draw more people and more money for the charity, then I'll take a car to help the charity.  But if the public gets in free, and I have to pay to enter my car, no way.  If it's a charity I choose to support, I'll donate the entry fee and then enjoy my day doing something else.  I have five pre-World-War-1 cars (one will be for sale soon), and I get no thrill out of spending a day surrounded by hot rods.

Again, I can agree to a point. Thing is, a lot of young people attend these shows. We silver hairs (or no hairs) should try to be ambassadors for the vintage car hobby. Offer to take a youngster aboard or,if possible, for a spin. There's a number of reasons the values on and interest in the old car hobby is slipping. One of those reasons shouldn't be US !

Giving rides and going to shows are related ways of engaging with the public, but not the same thing.  I give lots of rides.  In my steam car, I ask kids whether they know "The Little Engine That Could."  They all do.  I find a hill, start up it, and slow to a crawl.  CHOO - - CHOO - - choo - - choo - - CHOO - - CHOO - - choo - - choo - - I - - THINK - - i - - can - - I - - THINK - - i - - can.  When they're all hollering it in cadence with the engine, I feed it a bit more steam and away we go:  I THOUGHT i could I THOUGHT i could.  The kids love it.  Often, someone will ask me if it's OK to take a picture of his kid in front of my car.  I say no, it's not OK - put him behind the wheel!  A couple of our town's charitable groups raise money by running silent auctions.    I offer half a day of Model T instruction, and get several bids.  I've taught several neighbors, including kids with learners permits, how to drive a T.  And yes, I let them do it.  So if you want to chew somebody out for not sharing his cars with the public, pick on somebody else.

37 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

Giving rides and going to shows are related ways of engaging with the public, but not the same thing.  I give lots of rides.  In my steam car, I ask kids whether they know "The Little Engine That Could."  They all do.  I find a hill, start up it, and slow to a crawl.  CHOO - - CHOO - - choo - - choo - - CHOO - - CHOO - - choo - - choo - - I - - THINK - - i - - can - - I - - THINK - - i - - can.  When they're all hollering it in cadence with the engine, I feed it a bit more steam and away we go:  I THOUGHT i could I THOUGHT i could.  The kids love it.  Often, someone will ask me if it's OK to take a picture of his kid in front of my car.  I say no, it's not OK - put him behind the wheel!  A couple of our town's charitable groups raise money by running silent auctions.    I offer half a day of Model T instruction, and get several bids.  I've taught several neighbors, including kids with learners permits, how to drive a T.  And yes, I let them do it.  So if you want to chew somebody out for not sharing his cars with the public, pick on somebody else.

A tip of the hat to you,sir ! I wasn't trying to pick on you in particular, but I have seen too many occasions where collector car owners have downright surly dispositions toward interested public. I don't appreciate a father encouraging his kid to use the fender as a slide (it happened), but I've grown to enjoy young'uns questions, even when they ask if I bought it new ! 

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)