1946 76-C

Pete Phillips

That's still pretty darn rare, and for some reasons it seems far fewer survived than other cars with similar production numbers.  That's roughly the same build as my 1957 75R, and while rare, I've seen a handful of them come up for sale the last couple years.

This car will make a great restoration project for someone. It is definitely a Roadmaster, the air cleaner and the length of the front fender from the rear edge to the wheel opening  confirm it. Did anyone notice that it still has its original front floor mat with the carpet inserts?

10 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Mark was correct. The car was calling to me and I couldn't resist. I talked to the seller, we reached an agreement, and I bought the car. Guess I will be heading to Tennessee soon to haul it home for my next project.

Pete Phillips

You da man, Pete!. You da man!

Ben

Pete, it's good to hear the '46 went to a good Buick home.

Bernie, the '46 Roadmaster convertible is a rare car,

but Lincoln Continental Mark II's are incredibly common.

The Mark II's had low production numbers, but they have

been the darlings of collectors for years.  If you go to the

Hemmings website at any time you'll see 10 or 20 for sale

at once--and that's just one website!

So take your time, pick your favorite color, and enjoy the buyer's market---

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

23 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

If you go to the

Hemmings website at any time you'll see 10 or 20 for sale

at once--and that's just one website!

But those are just asking prices. We get people writing to the Forum all the time asking "What is my car worth?"  Those questions are answered with unending speculation, kind of like your post. No one ever hears how much cars sell for.

The Continental was an example, like a reference.

On 12/8/2018 at 8:56 AM, 60FlatTop said:

So what does it take to buy a car like that?

I still keep going back to that $20,000 '56 Continental ad in Cars For Sale and being temped to "reach an agreement". You never get to find out what real cars go for.

Bernie

That could be a question that  you may not get an answer to..

Good for Pete, and good for that '46!  It's always nice to see a good car go to a good guy clearly honorable in his intentions.

In spite of this eminently desirable outcome, I find myself constantly questioning the fairness or ethics involved when a side deal (or a seller's dissatisfaction with bidding levels in a no-reserve or out-of-reserve auction) leads to the termination of an eBay auction in progress.  How in the world can this practice be considered fair to other bidders?  What motivates a seller to go along (especially when a reserve is in place) rather than see the auction through -- other than to avoid paying the auction site its due arising from the sale?  And why does eBay allow this practice, when no live-auction house would allow a mid-auction termination due to a side deal or to the seller's desire for more promising bids?

Thoughts, anyone?