ericmac

Cooper Duesenberg at auction

When I win the lottery, another 4 $25,000 cars would do, but $20,000,000 for a car would take away that money form my old friends shares.   But I do like that car, just not that much.

(Plan is to win and give each old friend a million @ $50.000 a year for 20 years.  Then they won't have any excuse to not play with old cars and go touring with us in them.  Plus I won't be tempted to find new friends who only like me for my good looks)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ed's comments are spot on from whrre I sit. When I started this thread I never dreamed we would get so much information.  I have enjoyed every minute of this discussion.  Personally, I hope the car goes to one of the collectors who intend to drive the wheels off the car. Me? If I had the funds would buy it and drive it daily for a while as one local collector did with all of his Dueseys when he first bought them. He didn't even put collector plates on them. He mounted standard issue plates as nd drove the cars to work. It was a beautiful thing. 

• Like 3

What I was told was the reason J 242 wasn't delivered with a top was because the guy who ordered it was the same guy who built the disappearing metal convertible top on the one Auburn.  The Auburn was on display at the ACD museum 10 years ago or so.  I believe there was a spare tire behind the seat in the Duesenberg.  I don't think the Duesenberg has a rear deck lid either, again because it was going to get modified to be fitted with the folding hard top.   The modification was never completed.  

Image result for auburn hardtop

Auburn with collapsible folding hard top.   

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

I saw the above photo this morning, and would have been one of the whispering onlookers, in general Auburns are attractive. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I too have seen the car. I will say i commend the people who have a car like this (or the Wolfington Phaeton J 214 for that matter) and leave in it's original configuration.  Yes people will whisper but history, good or bad, has been preserved. 

Ok, I had to Google J 214, unique, one of a kind, and fortunately out of my price range. Bob 

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

I was parked next to that Auburn at Amelia Island this year. Interesting car, but people were whispering all sorts of rumors about it. I had never seen it before and didn’t know it existed. It was interesting to look at, and the engineering seemed very advanced. Are there any photos of it new, when it was first built? Not 60’s or 70’s but when it was new? I think that’s the only way some of the people and the whisper campaign can get their answer. I have no information on it at all, and have no opinion, just curious.

Ed, I believe the patent with drawing was filed in period. Can’t vouch that the car actually was.

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ok, I had to Google J 214, unique, one of a kind, and fortunately out of my price range. Bob 

While traveling to an ACD Club reunion with Herb Newport in the '70's he told me that he designed J214, the Wolfington Royale, and wasn't proud of it.  He said he just had to comply with the client's wishes.  This was subsequently noted in Fred Roe's book.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:12 PM, ericmac said:

Ed's comments are spot on from whrre I sit. When I started this thread I never dreamed we would get so much information.  I have enjoyed every minute of this discussion.  Personally, I hope the car goes to one of the collectors who intend to drive the wheels off the car. Me? If I had the funds would buy it and drive it daily for a while as one local collector did with all of his Dueseys when he first bought them. He didn't even put collector plates on them. He mounted standard issue plates as nd drove the cars to work. It was a beautiful thing. 

I doubt if Fred Duesenberg and E.L.Cord had any other ideas for these cars except to drive them

and if they become a source of worry and angst like so many have then sell them.In 1973 there

was a National Car Show here in Huntington WV and my wife and me and two small boys,Rob and Eric,

our sons.Eric was just starting to walk but was in a stroller.A black Rolls-Royce pulled in and we went

over to look at it. Eric reached over like he was going touch the fender and the driver screamed at him

and said "If that kid touches this car I'll break his arm". I told him in no polite terms he would be the

center of attention in the ER or the feature attraction at a three ring funeral if he harmed that baby or

tried to. THAT was an extreme instance but a word of advice. DON'T threaten an infant,it's dangerous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I sit here going through my desk and couch cushions, gathering up lose change to see if I can bid on this maybe 20 mil duesy. I was just wondering what the insurance payment would be? If a person decided to go month to month. What would you pay to insure a car like that? Just need to make sure I have enough change before I commit.:lol:  

Xander,  I think you and I both (maybe even togehter) would have trouble covering the insurance payment. 

My kids already scarfed up the loose change.  All I found in my couch cushions were toys,  pieces of toys,  and interesting bits of food I can't quite identify that Mommy told them to eat. ;) (thankfully we have leather furniture, all be it well worn) 

• Haha 1

Better question.  Is there any part on a Duessy that your 500 deductible Wouldn't be surpassed if it needed replacement because of a mishap?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

This valve stem comes in at $4,389.66image.jpeg.2163a9bedef15423b657386bbbbb451b.jpeg

Do I get the cap too or is that another 610.35 bumping it to 5000.01 just breaking the deductible?

For a lot less than $10m you could build a couple of exact replicas to use on the road and keep the original in as unmolested condition as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hey X' : For real ? Please X'plain................   - C'C'. 

Just having fun CC, I need things to keep me laughing out here, It has not been a fun five years, you will get to see it on the news. I can X'plain if you like? Give me a call, I will private message you my number, and tell you all about it. Poking fun at the overall value of the car. Breaking it down to a valve stem.:lol::lol::lol: The car is a work of art, and my guess is, it will set a record. Anyone would love to own it. It has moved beyond being a car. We have to be able to point out and laugh about things in our hobby/industry/trade. It is not a perfect place. It has many problems. Some problems can be fixed, some can not. Cars like this Duesenberg are the best of the best in the automotive world. I would fell lucky just to take a few pictures of it..................-X'W'.:D Keep smiling CC, there are still people trying to make this hobby/industry a better place, my shoulders are only so wide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK. Now I get it. I have always been a bit slow on the uptake. ?ing to keep from ?ing is a well practiced art with me. I have gathered over the time I have had the pleasure to get to know you, that we have something in common other than being fellow Northwesterners. I have a feeling the proverbial "loving company" is about to come knocking on mutual miseries door.  -  Cadillac Carl 

18 hours ago, Bob Roller said:

Eric reached over like he was going touch the fender and the driver screamed at himand said "If that kid touches this car I'll break his arm". I told him in no polite terms he would be the

center of attention in the ER or the feature attraction at a three ring funeral if he harmed that baby or

tried to. THAT was an extreme instance but a word of advice. DON'T threaten an infant,it's dangerous.

A few years ago at a local car show, I had my two-ton Diesel on display, with lots of spectators around.  A younger family with dad carrying a two or three year old, and mom were looking at the vehicles and the young child really wanted to sit in my truck, so I opened the door to let him sit behind the wheel.  The father was visibly upset that I allowed it, and the mom was somewhat embarrassed perhaps thinking the child pulled at my heartstrings by begging to sit in it. (he didn't).  So the father briefly lowered him down onto the seat, while the mom repeatedly told him not to touch anything.  The dad sternly told me that he lectured his kids beforehand about touching vintage cars at shows, and what I did was counteractive to his instructions, and sent a wrong message to the child.  I did commend him for teaching his children that, while at the same time, I clearly stated these young ones his age will be the future of this hobby, and I don't mind being accommodating to younger ones like theirs when they ask nicely and under parental supervision.

Craig    

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sounds like the dad might be a future Rolls Royce owner! Its too bad as he is beating the joy out of the hobby for his kids. I had someone offer to let my daughter sit in his car at a cruise in last uear. She still talks about the experience. It was only a moment and a very small gesture but as you can see, it made her day.

20170809_191021.jpg

Edited by ericmac
Typos (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always let kids sit in our cars, but asking first is key, and going into idiot mode at the mere sight of an interested toddler is ridicules.

• Like 1

I don't know if I wrote about an experience I had at a tractor show but I'll relate it again anyway.

A youngish father was displaying his newly painted early 30's tractor which was absolutely gorgeous, he was very proud of it and we were having a nice chat.

His 8-10 year old son was with him.

Poor kid made the "mistake" of putting his hand on the fender and WHOA........daddy went ballistic!

That's when I walked away thinking to myself "That's one kid who will never love old tractors"....... :( 

• Like 1

Last week a mid-70's guy stopped while I was out in the garage. He stayed for a while talking and he sat or walked around during the time. He had his paws all over the cars, leaning on them, tapping his fingers, knocking the metal with him knuckles (you know how old guys do that, two quick raps), and generally being an irritant.

Many people are uncertain about the accuracy of their senses. The sense of touch is universally favored as most reliable. My newest, what I call, collector car is painted Black Sapphire Metallic. Right in the center of the hood he rubs his greezy finger on the paint, leans close and asks if there are silver flecks or is that overspray from a body shop. 20 minutes with detailer spray and things were fine. I was glad we didn't run up to the convenient store and bring back a couple of the two slice pizza deals for lunch in the garage.

I have two overheard doors I bought to put in the side that doesn't show from the road. I am planning to measure up the new headers today. Next time he won't know I am home.