Cooper Duesenberg at auction

ericmac

The result of two years effort. Wish us luck, going on the field Sunday.  J-218. As delivered from Murphy, as Franklin Hershey designed one off. Made the Thursday tour with no problems. First time out in fifty years. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Live in the room at Gooding PB. Ten lots away and the prices are the sale overall are strong. So, I’ll toss my hat in the ring on a hammer price in the SSJ.......17.5 all in. 

Two of the three bidders  arn’t known as “car guys” according to the rumor mill. Sort of what I predicted very early on in the thread. From what I have seen in the past five years, I think the new owner got a decent value. I have seen a bunch of other non American pre war cars sell for LOTS more, as for me, I’ll take the SSJ ten times over one of the European cars. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 4:36 PM, Curti said:

".............................  I think it will brake  20 large. "

That being the case, after scanning this entire thread, of those who were specific, I believe we have a winner !  Congratulations !   -  CC 

• Like 1

The memories of David C........Trimacar.......of the sale in Georgia are spot on. If memory serves me it was 1989. A bunch of the heavy collectors all went in and drew lots on who was going to buy what, and stood back and supported the prices. There was enough interest overall that they only ended up buying five or six of them total.........and the prices of them were still rather low considering historical records at the time. A few year later everything was back to normal and on the upswing again. 

As as far as the car hitting 22 all in, I agree with the comment it could have easily been 25 or 30. One bidder would instantly respond to any further bump, indicating his willingness to win and try and keep others from jumping back in........a strategy I use as often as possible, just with twenty dollar bills.........not 250,000 dollar bumps. Compared to many of the European cars selling for much more money, I still think the new owner got a very good value. Here’s to it staying in the good old USA, and having it remain active in the hobby.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I am sure all Duesy owners are happy this morning.

I'm sure they are, but for a Duesy owner ANY morning should be a happy one!

This was such a special car, from design to celebrity ownership, that I really don't think it's selling price will affect the value of other Duesenbergs.

Whoever bought it sure acquired  some great bragging rights, I hope we find out who it is, and that the car doesn't disappear for years....

For selfish reasons I am hoping it wound up here in Michigan. 

As the starter of this thread, i woild like to thank everyone who has participated wiyh knowledge,  information and opinions. 

If others are interested I believe it would be worth continuing a discussion of the mighty J. Clearly many of us find the cars endlessly fascinating. What say you?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ericmac said:

For selfish reasons I am hoping it wound up here in Michigan. 

As the starter of this thread, i woild like to thank everyone who has participated wiyh knowledge,  information and opinions. 

If others are interested I believe it would be worth continuing a discussion of the mighty J. Clearly many of us find the cars endlessly fascinating. What say you?

Why not continue. The "J" is a heck of a lot more interesting that post war Chevrolets.

Has anyone ever noticed that cars some consider "classic"are only used cars??

Califunny has several "Bay Areas", all of which consider themselves to be the only real "Bay Area".  The San Francisco "Bay Area" where I grew up and have known a few major collectors certainly considers itself to be the "one and only real" "Bay Area". However, Monterey (home to Pebble Beach!) also calls itself the "Bay Area", as do a couple places in Southern Califunny.  If this wonderful car is headed to the San Francisco Bay Area? Well. I have been looking for an excuse to go visit some good friends?

As for continuing this thread? I am all for it!  I may not have much to offer, other than the couple questions I asked awhile back and never saw answers to (no worries there).  One simple question I have that someone should be able to give a quick answer to. Just how many Js were actually built originally?  I see a lot of numbers being tossed around here that makes it sound like there were more of them than I had thought.

I sure have enjoyed reading all the postings here! (Well, maybe two or three I didn't think should have been posted?)

Thanks all!

Exactly who’s collection isn’t as important as the fact it will stay in the good old USA, and the gentleman who purchased it will drive it and see to it that it is properly maintained. I’m quite sure it will see the road with regular use. A wonderful result that will keep the car in the public eye for future generations. Bravo to the new owner!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

Ed is reliable?

Actually, I'm the one who first told Ed who it was, and his response was something like I don't think so!  Then  he confirmed it...

I only knew due to a friend who was kind enough to tell me.  It's going to a great collection.....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

8 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Califunny has several "Bay Areas", all of which consider themselves to be the only real "Bay Area".  The San Francisco "Bay Area" where I grew up and have known a few major collectors certainly considers itself to be the "one and only real" "Bay Area". However, Monterey (home to Pebble Beach!) also calls itself the "Bay Area", as do a couple places in Southern Califunny.  If this wonderful car is headed to the San Francisco Bay Area? Well. I have been looking for an excuse to go visit some good friends?

As for continuing this thread? I am all for it!  I may not have much to offer, other than the couple questions I asked awhile back and never saw answers to (no worries there).  One simple question I have that someone should be able to give a quick answer to. Just how many Js were actually built originally?  I see a lot of numbers being tossed around here that makes it sound like there were more of them than I had thought.

I sure have enjoyed reading all the postings here! (Well, maybe two or three I didn't think should have been posted?)

Thanks all!

The engine numbers run from 101to 588 on cars actually sold.........maybe.

Some engines may have been replaced due to failure and some were said to be

on display around the country.The factory records say 445 were in cars that

were sold.Fred Roe gives chassis numbers 2125to2614 and the same 101-588.

New fire wall and bell housings have been made and stamped and I know for a fact

that engine J467 resides in a Brunn convertible sedan with bell housing J528.

I built the head on that engine when I was 17 in 1953.I also did most of the dismantling

on J467,the "Ernie Henderson"car mentioned in Elbert's book as displaying a sign advertising

an eatery owned by Henderson.His wife supposedly found him in the car with a "cutie"

and blew him away with a pistol.I doubt if there are many of these these cars that are 100%

as they were when sold new.

Back many years ago when Melvin Clemens bought J357 (1944)it had 12,000 miles on it in

14 years of use and I was told it had crankshaft J464. Melvin may have changed it but I

don't know. I put a clutch in it in 1952 in Melvin's driveway.Edinmass told me that the crank

shaft that belongs in it was being negotiated for in Canada. Maybe he can verify this for us.

Other than spark plugs is there anything from another make of car that can be used on the "J" engine?

Captive market for sure.

14 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Thanks all!

3 hours ago, Dave Henderson said:

Bob,  Of course there are more things from other make cars that are used on Duesenbergs, 5 or 6 of 'em.  Tire valve cores...

Dave,

I don't THINK there are any valve cores on the "J"engine.:) .

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Thank you Bob R!

Wayne,

You and others are welcome to any accurate or semi accurate information I can post.

In the early 1990's I gave all the info I had and could remember to Ted and Gerry

McPhail in Canada.Most was in the form of a cassette tape and used Fred Roe's

book on Duesenberg as a reference for "J"numbers and body styles.We had a

specialty garage in the early 1950's,51-52 and 53 to be exact and had a small

group of Duesenberg owners whose cars we serviced including those of Melvin Clemens

and there were others but don't have any idea who they belonged to now. I did a couple of valve

jobs requiring the removal of the head and taking it entirely apart.These are NOT complex engines

and it took little time to figure them out regarding mechanical function. Other mechanics of the time

took one look at that engine and said "you guys are crazy" for working on them.. 

I made it clear that I would NOT dream up a bunch of fantasy stories because they

would be lies.One thing about the truth,there is only ONE version and it's easy to

remember. My memories are mostly intact at 82 and hope they stay that way for a while.