ericmac

Cooper Duesenberg at auction

Recommended Posts

I have always been fascinated by some old guy who walks up to a car I’m working on or driving and raps his knuckles on the fender to check to see if the seven figure 100 point  cars’ fender is going to dent or fall off. Just once I want to say.......congratulations on your purchase, please hand over the money! I bet the look on their face would be interesting. I’m sure if I went out to the parking lot one Sunday morning and put my hot coffee on his hood, he would blow a gasket. Maybe I’ll just leave a half full beer can on his lawn mower.........that will pxxs him off also!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never had an old guy tap on a car. I have had one say "it's about time you know what is going on" I had another person say " it will be interesting to see what you do" And another one said "you just keep going don't you"  and another one said "nobody wants to see you go through this". Some not so old guys said " if you want to build cars for our kids, then things can happen" I had a retired police officer stand in my shop and say " their going to make a star out of you, you just need to find an angle"  That was a strange thing to say at the time. One would think that a person would receive recognition for what they did, and uncovered. My guess is, it was said so a person would go off and think up some dumb a*s idea as to why you should be special. Side track a person, so others can take credit for what was done. I heard a law suit might becoming, I would think when people go on a fact finding mission, to find answers to what happened. Some interesting things might start to surface. I had a retired elected sheriff tell me I should call the FBI and the ACLU for my own safety. The ACLU in Idaho is a P.O. Box. That one made me laugh, there is no calling the ACLU in Idaho. Maybe enough time will go by, where statute of limitations will pass, and an honest story will be told. That seems to be the reason some people get away with crap. They get saved from what should happen to them, because of who they are. Well if there is no penalty hanging over their head, maybe the truth can come out. No pizza eating to this story Bernie, but there are some greasy fingers. Speaking of fingers, maybe we can have a conservation about pointing fingers. Looks like a nice day to go for a drive in the Hudson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I have never had an old guy tap on a car. I have had one say "it's about time you know what is going on" I had another person say " it will be interesting to see what you do" And another one said "you just keep going don't you"  and another one said "nobody wants to see you go through this". Some not so old guys said " if you want to build cars for our kids, then things can happen" I had a retired police officer stand in my shop and say " their going to make a star out of you, you just need to find an angle"  That was a strange thing to say at the time. One would think that a person would receive recognition for what they did, and uncovered. My guess is, it was said so a person would go off and think up some dumb a*s idea as to why you should be special. Side track a person, so others can take credit for what was done. I heard a law suit might becoming, I would think when people go on a fact finding mission, to find answers to what happened. Some interesting things might start to surface. I had a retired elected sheriff tell me I should call the FBI and the ACLU for my own safety. The ACLU in Idaho is a P.O. Box. That one made me laugh, there is no calling the ACLU in Idaho. Maybe enough time will go by, where statute of limitations will pass, and an honest story will be told. That seems to be the reason some people get away with crap. They get saved from what should happen to them, because of who they are. Well if there is no penalty hanging over their head, maybe the truth can come out. No pizza eating to this story Bernie, but there are some greasy fingers. Speaking of fingers, maybe we can have a conservation about pointing fingers. Looks like a nice day to go for a drive in the Hudson.

 

If I point ONE finger at you or anyone, I will still have THREE pointing back at me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I have always been fascinated by some old guy who walks up to a car I’m working on or driving and raps his knuckles on the fender to check to see if the seven figure 100 point  cars’ fender is going to dent or fall off. Just once I want to say.......congratulations on your purchase, please hand over the money! I bet the look on their face would be interesting. I’m sure if I went out to the parking lot one Sunday morning and put my hot coffee on his hood, he would blow a gasket. Maybe I’ll just leave a half full beer can on his lawn mower.........that will pxxs him off also!

 

Edinmass,

MANY years ago I saw a cartoon in Road&Track that showed an old woman in Paris France that

had set up a fish market on the hood of a Bentley and she was drawing back her hand with a large fish like a bat

to wallop the chauffer who was obviously irate about the whole situation.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old man's knuckle rap on a car appears to be ceremonial or a passing of powers. Each rap is firm and deliberate, with a proper, timed cadence. It has always impressed me as an affirmation that they accept the car, for whatever authority they imagine themselves to have. It may be the automotive version of the gnarly, palsied fingers pinching the forearm of preteen boys.

 

To the important stuff, sure is a big buildup to that Duesenberg sale. Anyone on the Forum plan to bid?

Bernie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My search of the couch cushions has not raised enough funds for me to bid. I keep going back and looking, like going to the fridge every hour, thinking that some new tasty food had appeared, that was not there last time. It is hot out here right now, and I have to pull weeds and mow the grass, that's my duesy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice but a good friend once said you can have as much fun with a Model A as a Model J so I guess I will pass.  I will say I still enjoy the clean lines of my 30 roadster in the garage while admiring the J from a distance.  That said, the Duesy SWB is definately high on my top 5 best in the world list! ?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Can't afford it. Anymore. I think if I still could, though, I would rather make the present owner of "my" 1930 Mercedes-Benz SS38/250 an offer he couldn't refuse. (By the way : do any of you know where it is now ? Back in Europe ? Have any of you actually  seen this car ? Ed ?). I would put it back as I remember it almost 60 years ago. M-B racing white with red leather. That is how it came out of Sindelfingen. The wheels were not chromed. And I would put the trunk back on where the dual rear spares are now carried. Originally there was a single sidemount, L.H. side. Oh well, its only money, right ? If I seem unusually bitter tonight, yup ; I am. I avoid looking at stock values anymore. It's just that I couldn't miss noting yesterday that Amazon is positioned to break the $2000 level soon. My "on board" point with the proceeds from the quick killing I had made on Intel in the "Tech bubble" was Amazon at $6, yes, that's six bucks, following its bouncing off the basement floor at $5.71 after the tech collapse. Enough of that. I have explained more of this in the past, and the obscene treachery which wiped out the gains of a lifetime of hard work. I used to be able to  figure things out if I thought about the subject long enough. I haven't been able to do that for quite some time anymore. So I will not be in competition for any more cars. It's O.K. I just put my 1924 Cadillac back on the road after not being able to drive it for almost 3 years ! VERY happy !

 

I have enjoyed eavesdropping on you knowledgeable guys here on the forum. I am amazed by so much collective experience. The night I finished preparation for initial shakedown of the old Cadillac after it had patiently awaited my touch, was Seattle 's "Night out against crime". The neighborhood where I rent the garage for the car, held its gathering just East of the sloping driveway. Neighbors did enjoy seeing the ancient thing emerge to the street. One of them, a lady almost my age, took a particular interest. Turns out she had met Gil Duffy and his SSJ long ago, and rented a little beach cottage from him for many years ! I had the pleasure of meeting them (Gil and his Duesenberg), at a car show when I was 15 years old. My favorite cars at that show were the American Underslung, the Doble, and Duffy's Duesy. Well, of course I got my money's worth by staying until the end of the show. I got to see the cars start up and  pull out. I talked to Gil, and when he found out I had taken the bus, he drove me downtown to save me the transfer. I was sitting next to him in the 1933(?) Murphy DCP !!!! My first Duesenberg ride ! He said it had been found in, and was re-patriated from, the Argentine Republic. 

 

So this is my chance. Where is that SSJ now ? Did Gil Duffy ever have any other Duesenbergs  ?  Thanks,  and good luck in your bidding.   -  Carl 

 

 

BEF2A50A-B7D2-47CF-BBA0-F5F2F7C2AB55.jpeg

4EE8DF5E-651E-4D53-8C1A-BB29549F10C7.jpeg

81C3F9DC-6805-482B-8818-2FB6A805F745.jpeg

F8FA58BB-CF74-4091-BCE5-0DBE93A89400.jpeg

119E257E-78D7-4158-B6E5-451B225062CE.jpeg

99A76865-D2E4-4E21-93B6-B6469BE7ACC9.jpeg

BC735FAA-5243-44FB-9603-C406FA609158.jpeg

71C667AD-DBDC-4BCD-9E91-475CE10BE2D4.jpeg

2D386F38-15E9-4A9B-B71F-90658741C78B.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Mercedes looks mean enough to eat barbed wire. There was a 500K here in Huntington WV in the early

1960's that was said to belong to some Third Reich big shot that skipped to Switzerland to evade the very

angry Russians.The guy that owned it got into trouble on some Federal complaint and I was never able to

find out which of Nazis the original owner was.I hope the Russians did catch up with him no matter who he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:45 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Ok, I had to Google J 214, unique, one of a kind, and fortunately out of my price range. Bob 

 

I saw J214 early in 1953 right after Melvin Clemens bought it. Half the body was gone,

the fenders were said to be from a Sayer&Scoville ambulance and a rear wheel was welded to the brake

drum and was said to be from a Stutz. We did get it to start and it smoked like a volcano with a lot

of main bearing rumble at first. It had been used to power a water drilling outfit years ago.

A Canadian I think it was had the restoration done or had it completed and once the odd moulding was

taken into consideration I  thought it was a fine car with beautiful oak wood work.I THINK the Canadian

donated it to a Museum in Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correction to my post on J214. Another man had started the restoration in 1974 I think. He contacted me

after I talked to Ray Wolff about it and Ray told him I had some information on it.The Canadian did finish

the restoration.This car has had a number of owners and according to the Wolff notes it may have been sold new to

a woman and bodied as a limo. It survives today as a very interesting example of one man's idea of a custom made car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

while discussing Duesenbergs- does anyone know where Cagneys J581 is?

 

about 25 years ago, bought my 07 Maxwell DR from a Canadian fella at Hershey. His father had one of the largest collections of cars in Canada and he told me that his Dad owned Cagneys Duesenberg.

His Dad sold it at the top of the mkt and afterwards, kicked himself everyday for the rest of his life for letting it go-because he didnt need the $.

Just wondering where it is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J 581 was restored about 20 years ago and is still in near mint condition.  I believe the person who had it restored still owns it in Colorado.  Rollston built 2 of these convertible sedans on the Duesenberg J chassis.   The other one was destroyed in a file in the 1950's.  I heard a rumor some bits of it remain, and someone may be trying to build a car around the remaining bits.   Rollston also built one formal sedan body with the same lines and it was placed on a Packard Twelve chassis.   

 

Duesenberg J Rollston Convertible Berline - Chassis: 2311 J-586   - 2004 Canadian Concours d'Elegance

 

Duesenberg J Rollston Convertible Berline - Chassis: 2311 J-586   - 2004 Canadian Concours d'Elegance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Some time in the late 1970's Dad and I got to sit at an AACA Annual Awards dinner table with Al Fererrara and his wife, what a great guy. When we told him we were from Ridgefield he said he had a Duesenberg that belonged to Bill Oexle at one time, and showed me a photo. It was back in the late 1970's but I remember it looking some what like the Nethercutt 20 Grand. Bill Oexle  traded it even on a new Cadillac in 1949 or 1950, guess that was a good deal at the time. If this description sounds familiar to anyone please post a photo and history on the car. Bob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the privilege to be able to take apart, and oversee the restoration on this Duesenberg when I worked for Mike Fennel in the mid 1980's. I do not recall the number, but am sure I have it in the pile of photos I took during the disassembly of the car. I know it was re restored to Maroon and Black and sold a few years ago for over two million if I recall correctly. I will never own one, but I had the opportunity to take one apart and restore it, and drive it.

AndyIMG_4380.thumb.jpg.856f71228f84184e406dc83a068e0208.jpgIMG_4240.thumb.jpg.f7d85ad8c28dd45baeb63aae2e3f4120.jpgIMG_4234.thumb.jpg.225f176ede80946826c87d0a5a5401d9.jpgIMG_4233.thumb.jpg.9ae7ccfcc382765368f0160f87952a87.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed the sale. I was born 1 month later.

 

My Uncle Sylvester offered my Mother $100 to name me after him, helps get a feel for the $2200. I imagine life would have been different nicknamed Slick.

image.thumb.png.300d43476c1060488b4d9d2005abc992.png

1937 Duesenberg convertible sedan, body by Rollston, Model J 153.5 in. wheelbase.

(This car was for sale in 1948 for $2200. it had 94000 on odometer) Contraption under runnign board was radio antenna. This was 1937 NY Auto Show Car. Photo dated 8-20-1948 for sale by A.J. Hoe

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^^^ We'll never know but that may have one of the two J's that came out of the basement storage area of the Branchville Shell station after WWII. Jim Hoe paid $750.00 for the pair, the seller told me that story back when I was in High School. Bob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only Duesenberg sedan Ferrara owned was a Rollston Beverly sedan.   Looks just like the Murphy Beverly, but the body is a little wider in the back.  I believe his was owned by the Wrigley family new and it was light green originally, just like the gum wrapper.   It's now kind of a purple color.  I can't find any pictures of it online to post.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Who made this body? Stunning car.

Amelia Island 233.jpg

Amelia Island 230.jpg

 

J572 is bodied by Bohman and Schwartz

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bob Roller said:

 

I saw J214 early in 1953 right after Melvin Clemens bought it. Half the body was gone,

the fenders were said to be from a Sayer&Scoville ambulance and a rear wheel was welded to the brake

drum and was said to be from a Stutz. We did get it to start and it smoked like a volcano with a lot

of main bearing rumble at first. It had been used to power a water drilling outfit years ago.

A Canadian I think it was had the restoration done or had it completed and once the odd moulding was

taken into consideration I  thought it was a fine car with beautiful oak wood work.I THINK the Canadian

donated it to a Museum in Canada.

Bob, I agree.  Bernie Aaron deserves a lot of credit for restoring J214 back to its original form.  As you likely know, it was for sale for many years and Bernie was the only one to step forward.  There were certainly many other J's available then and many which would have been easier restorations.  J214 has been in the Reynolds museum in Alberta since 1993.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I missed the sale. I was born 1 month later.

 

My Uncle Sylvester offered my Mother $100 to name me after him, helps get a feel for the $2200. I imagine life would have been different nicknamed Slick.

image.thumb.png.300d43476c1060488b4d9d2005abc992.png

1937 Duesenberg convertible sedan, body by Rollston, Model J 153.5 in. wheelbase.

(This car was for sale in 1948 for $2200. it had 94000 on odometer) Contraption under runnign board was radio antenna. This was 1937 NY Auto Show Car. Photo dated 8-20-1948 for sale by A.J. Hoe

So what would have this car have sold for brand new in 1937? If it was for sale in 1948 for $2,200, What is the % of drop in value? Just wondering if cars today are dropping at the same % rate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

So what would have this car have sold for brand new in 1937? If it was for sale in 1948 for $2,200, What is the % of drop in value? Just wondering if cars today are dropping at the same % rate?

 

Standard price for a Duesenberg chassis was 8500.  Although by 1937 you were dealing with left overs so who knows what the price was then.   Bodies were anywhere from an additional 4 or 5k for a Murphy Convertible Sedan,  up to 12k for the 20 Grand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely somewhere between $15000 - $20000.  In 1929/30 a Duesenberg chassis was $8500, I'm not sure what they went for in the mid 1930's.   Rollston probably charged around $8000 - $10,000 for the body.   That's a pretty complicated top mechanism on that car, and all 4 of those fenders are pure custom.   

 

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, in the mid to late 60 s there was a gentleman named charlie zero in Pomona calif,he was a body shop manager at a local Chevy dealer,an older gentleman that was my mentor so to speak, more like a second dad,he was a good friend of charlie’s mr hoe took me to charlie’s one Saturday,in this old garage on an alley they showed me charlie’s cars,he had a cut down 34 Chevy that looked like an m.g, t.d. A black 48 Lincoln Continental with an olds engine,then charlie pulled the cover back an I saw black Duesenberg,this car as I remember was a mid to late 30 s I guess you would call it a town car,I remember charlie saying he payed 2500 for it after World War Two,he said he spent a lot of time putting a hand rubbed nitrocellulose lacquer paint job of about 40 coats,some time early to mid 70 s charlie got sick and mr hoe brokered a deal for 151.000    At that time,if this sounds familiar to anyone I would like to see pics of the car today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now