JED CLAMPETT'S BUICK TRUCK

Terry Wiegand

We have some pretty sharp old Buicks guys on here and the remains of this old Buick has a part on it that needs identified.  What is here is the remains of a 1929 Model 27 (firewall tag confirms this) that was converted into a truck during WW2.  This was commonly done out here in farm country during the war.  The guy who owns it drug it into Hutchinson from a farm out near the coast of Colorado.  I have driven by it several times and finally decided to stop and take some photos just for the heck of it.  Now, I have looked at a lot of basket cases in my time (Buicks and otherwise) but this thing has a part on it that I have never seen before and I haven't got a clue as to what it could be.  Help us out here and explain the mystery part.  Thanks for looking and the help.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

The Buick Mecca of Doo Dah

PA050245_LI.jpg

PA050246.JPG

PA050247.JPG

PA050248.JPG

PA050249.JPG

PA050250.JPG

PA050244.JPG

raydurr, I did not look that close at the manifolds, so, I cannot say.  I can stop and look at them again and report on here.  Now that you mention it, do you know when Buick engines went to downdraft carburetors?  I was more interested in what that

strange looking piece on the firewall is all about.  The engine is free by the way.  The owner is asking insane money for it - $4,950.00

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

Ben, you are right, flipping the intake would allow for a downdraft carburetor, however, with the manifolds here I do not see how that could happen.  The thing that has me really stumped is that aluminum piece on the ignition side of the firewall.  I think that we will all agree that Buick was supplying engines to GMC Truck in this time frame.  Could this possibly be a set of GMC manifolds from later on down the line?  All of the tooling for the 6-cylinder Buick engine went to GMC Truck after the Straight 8 came out and they ran with that 6-cylinder engine up into the 1950's I believe.  The real sharp guys are gonna have to help out here.  The 1940's and 50's stuff is too new for me to know that much about.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

raydurr, you are correct in saying that 1930 was the last year for the 6-cylinder Buick engine.  If you think that the manifolds on this engine are not Buick, what do you think they could be?  It would make some sort of sense that they are GMC Truck from a time frame when the downdraft carburetors came into use.  I just simply do not know here.  I would think that they are GMC so that the porting would line up properly with the block and manifolds.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Well, you guys just had to make me prove I was right. And, boy did I try.   But I LOSE! :(    Where is the CROW?     Went to the two books that should know. Both Seventy Years of Buick and A complete History verify . ALL 1931 Buicks were eight cylinders. 

I have read, in the past, that certain series retained the six in '31.  NOT SO.  

Ben  

16 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Ben, you are right, flipping the intake would allow for a downdraft carburetor, however, with the manifolds here I do not see how that could happen.  The thing that has me really stumped is that aluminum piece on the ignition side of the firewall.  I think that we will all agree that Buick was supplying engines to GMC Truck in this time frame.  Could this possibly be a set of GMC manifolds from later on down the line?  All of the tooling for the 6-cylinder Buick engine went to GMC Truck after the Straight 8 came out and they ran with that 6-cylinder engine up into the 1950's I believe.  The real sharp guys are gonna have to help out here.  The 1940's and 50's stuff is too new for me to know that much about.

From https://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/A_Brief_Outline_of_the_First_Century_of_GMC_Truck_History

1931 - GMC took over production of Buick 6-cylinder engines. Buick was then using only straight 8s in cars.

1933 - GMC designed and built 6-cylinder valve-in-head engines in 8 sizes, from 221 to 707 cid. They were used in all GMC truck models that year.

1934-1937 - Oldsmobile 6-cylinder L-head engines were used in GMC light and some medium duty trucks.

1936 - Major changes appeared in all GMC conventional cab models. 15 new models were released, including 1/2-ton pickup and panel trucks with Olds engines. All other models had GMC engines that were in nine sizes from 239 to 707 cid.

Was the 1933 GMC (or the head) a variation of the old Buick 6?

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Let's get back to the picture and 'what is that thing?'

Also look at the pic of the engine from the other side and there is some sort of round glass thing on the firewall near it.  What the heck is it?  Is it related?

Some sort of fuel cooler (anti vapor lock) like the hotrods ran in the 50s?

Flipping manifolds.  My buddy had a 27 Master with a flipped manifold.

Brian, it is possible that I am incorrect here about the intake being flipped over, but from what I could see when I took these photos it looked like the exhaust just wouldn't clear the intake.  I am going to go back and get some more photos and look

real close at the manifolding.  Spinneyhill, I laughed when I saw that light too.  Who would put a RED under hood light on a vehicle like this?  I'm still waiting to hear what the 'whatsit' is.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

The Buick Mecca of Doo Dah

Just a theory re the manifolds. I was reminded by a local 1934 Buick series 60 8 which had a later series 40 manifold fitted. Presumably when GMC designed their new six they retained the port and bolt pattern of the Buick? This would allow fitting of GMC manifolds to Buick sixes? Just a guess.

Terry,

I would suggest that there is some kind of a heater core under the dash.

There are 2 red hoses plumbed into the cooling system and very crudely fed through the fire wall.

Maybe the mystery item is linked to that? It is hard to tell from the photo but there appears to be a "screw" on top. Is this a "bleed screw" to evacuate air out of a heating system ?

It is all just conjecture until you go back and examine more thoroughly.

Please post more photos on what you find.

Regards

David

The aluminum bulb mounted on the firewall is an aftermarket accy. called "Devil Dog" It is a switch for an alarm system using the cars horn. It is supposed to be mounted vertical under a wood floor board. A wire from the horn is connected to the insulated terminal on the side. The aluminum body is grounded with another wire. Inside is a thin spring blade with a lead weight on the end. When someone gets in the car the spring swings to the contact point and honks the horn.    http://everythingcroton.blogspot.com/2014/06/for-your-amusement-1930-automatic-devil.html

• Like 4

Hey Dyna, yeah, I knew that, but, we can't be talkin' bout Oldsmobiles on a Buick thread.  23hack, ain't you just something now.  You get the Gold Star today.  I can truthfully say that I have NEVER heard of anything like this before.  Would you happen to have any material that describes this particular accessory?  Once again this just proves that there are some pretty sharp folks out there and helping us not so sharp guys get educated.  A BIG thank you to all who offered up technical information and 1939_Buick, I really appreciate your GMC information.  I am going to check out the link you provided here.  I am going to stop back by and talk to the fellow who has the 'truck' parked in his lot and get more photos in regard to the manifolding and post them on here for you guys to figure that part of this story out.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

• Like 1

Regarding the alarm, I bought, in 1970's, an after market alarm of similar function, so that is heavy movement or lifting to tow, or flatbed, and horn alarm would sound. I installed it on a restored 1964 Volvo.  After test never had a chance to see if it worked, before a sold the car.  Instead of a bulb, it was a mercury switch in a rectangular can.

John

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2017 at 1:29 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Well, you guys just had to make me prove I was right. And, boy did I try.   But I LOSE! :(    Where is the CROW?     Went to the two books that should know. Both Seventy Years of Buick and A complete History verify . ALL 1931 Buicks were eight cylinders. 

I have read, in the past, that certain series retained the six in '31.  NOT SO.  

Ben  

I think where the confusion arises is that Buick produced the Marquette for 1930 which was a 6 cylinder car but not really a Buick. It wasn't even OHV. I don't know who made the Marquette engine but it was a failure and GM dropped the Marquette like they dropped Oldsmobile's sister brand but pushed the LaSalle which was Cadillac's sister brand and Pontiac which was Oakland's.

1931 Buicks are all eights  BUT the small 50 series early in the year used the tranny and open drive from the 1930 Marquette.  So if your 31 50 is not synchromesh look underneath 

and if you can see the driveshaft then this is what you got.