Front end shake

Mars

Check tire pressure first.  If you inflate tires to recommended pressure most shakes will be eliminated.

after that, if it doesn't work, than all front end parameters are suspect... camber, toe in, etc.....if the front end hasn't been rebuilt, then it needs attention...I've seen a lot of restored cars where restorer thought front end condition was "good enough", a big mistake...

Ball joints, tie rods and be sure to check lug nuts. I had a friend that had new tires put on and on the way home he said the car started shaking. He kept driving it and stopped by my place on the way. I popped the hub caps and he had 1 lug nut left on and the wheel was a mess. The tire place forgot to tighten them and took responsibility.  Check the lug nuts! 

You overlooked advising whether this showed up on a car that'd been recently driven with no problems or one that;d been setting for some time and newly taken out, to experience the shaking, by which I assume you mean shimmying (discernible, excessive or violent shaking of car and steering wheel from front wheel failure to track).........

Didn't by any chance just give it a good lubing??? Accumulated crud can take up a lot of slack; squirting full of nice,  slick  new grease   can push crud out, resulting in discovery of considerable wear in king pins, tie rod ends, ad nauseum  

All the above are possibilities; jack up one wheel at a time,. jiggle for any slack anywhere......

Hi,thanks for all the advice. It does start after going over a bump or rough section,but not always.I drive the car everyday,so it's not a flat spot.It hasn't done it for a year or more but I recently rotated the front tires,left to right.Now it's back.Its not always and I'm thinking the tires just need to work in to their new position .

48 minutes ago, Mars said:

Hi,thanks for all the advice. It does start after going over a bump or rough section,but not always.I drive the car everyday,so it's not a flat spot.It hasn't done it for a year or more but I recently rotated the front tires,left to right.Now it's back.Its not always and I'm thinking the tires just need to work in to their new position .

I believe you just answered your own question. One of those tires is bad. As in a loose  tread or something else. My money is on  the wobble going away if the front tires are replaced.

Ben

Have an alignment guy check the wedges on the axle. My 1931 had two on each spring and one on each side was broken. Why they had two on each side is still a mystery. Now there is only one on each side and it goes down the road perfectly.

• Like 1

Most alignment shops will be able to set it up for you. Some still have the old specs. Some just go by experience. Do you have an instruction book for the car? That information should be in there. I would look for it in my 1931 Dodge book just to see if it's in there, but who knows where that is in my mess of an office?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

16 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Have an alignment guy check the wedges on the axle. My 1931 had two on each spring and one on each side was broken. Why they had two on each side is still a mystery. Now there is only one on each side and it goes down the road perfectly.

Keisers the man ;)

The keys are the wheel side swap and rough road or bumps. There seems to be an imbalance in the front wheel & tyre & brake drum combination on at least one of the wheels.

My bet is on wear in the steering components to start with. You go over a bump and a wheel gets a sideways shove and it begins to bounce back and forth due to slop in the steering system. Incorrect alignment contributes. Once it starts to bounce, at certain speeds it will resonate back and forth at increasing amplitude. So, go through the steering: the box, the drag link ends, tie rod ends, king pins, wheel bearing = axle nut tightness.

A damper will not fix the wear. It will just damp the symptom. These things drove well when new so modification should not be necessary.

Camber and castor will affect the way the car drives. If they are correct, the steering should be pretty much self centring, returning to straight ahead when you let go of the steering wheel while driving (slowly) on flat ground. They can also affect the way the tyres wear. The only way to adjust camber is to bend the axle. Castor is adjusted as Keiser said: wedges between the axle and the springs. If the car has had a hard life the axle may be bent and twisted which makes it harder to fix.

If it is a CF De Soto, it should be the same as a Dodge Brothers DC. The only thing in the manual is toe-in, which is 0 to 1/8" wider at the rear at 9" off a level floor.

The earliest wheel alignment data I can find is 1935. Castor is +2° for De S, +2° for Dodge, +2° for Plymouth, and + 2° for Chrysler C1-2-3, +1.25° for the others. Camber is +1/2° for all Chrysler, +1/2° for all Dodge, +3/8 or 1/2° for De Soto and +1/2° for Plymouth. King pin inclination is 9.5° for Ply, 10° for SF and 4° for SG, 9.5° for Dodge and 10° for C6, 5.5° for CZ and 4° for C1-2-3. So it seems a pretty fair bet the 1930 De S would be +2° castor, +1/2° for camber, 0 to 1/8" for toe in, 9.5° for king pin inclination.

Looks like king pin assembly shared with all other CCptn, and tie rod ends and intermediate rods (which catalog says must be  installed together) shared with Chry and Plymouth, so those parts should be available if needed...and probably holds true for other front end parts...

21 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

If it is a CF De Soto, it should be the same as a Dodge Brothers DC. The only thing in the manual is toe-in, which is 0 to 1/8" wider at the rear at 9" off a level floor.

The earliest wheel alignment data I can find is 1935. Castor is +2° for De S, +2° for Dodge, +2° for Plymouth, and + 2° for Chrysler C1-2-3, +1.25° for the others. Camber is +1/2° for all Chrysler, +1/2° for all Dodge, +3/8 or 1/2° for De Soto and +1/2° for Plymouth. King pin inclination is 9.5° for Ply, 10° for SF and 4° for SG, 9.5° for Dodge and 10° for C6, 5.5° for CZ and 4° for C1-2-3. So it seems a pretty fair bet the 1930 De S would be +2° castor, +1/2° for camber, 0 to 1/8" for toe in, 9.5° for king pin inclination.

Are the specs the same though,  as a 1930 has a solid axle and 1935 is an independent suspension?

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Are the specs the same though,  as a 1930 has a solid axle and 1935 is an independent suspension?

Those specs are said to be for All vehicles of that year, unless stated. The Chrysler models are given. De Soto I think made two models that year and the Camber is given for both (3/8 and 1/2). The data is from MoToR's Manual, 1947.

Under the Chrysler entry there is discussion of conventional axles 1935-38 in the text (but not which models had them). The next section is about the Airstream models C & DeS 1935-36. Perhaps the SF was conventional, SG was the independent system?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)