What model car is this?

eastcoastgal

42 minutes ago, eastcoastgal said:

I'm doing a painting with this car in it and I can't make out the logo. I know it's Chevrolet. I have to get it right or else the painting will be worthless :)

Thanks

Elizabeth

cuban-cars-in-2013-DNT89A.jpg

FullSizeRender-7.jpg

Can we see the painting when it is completed? 

Firstly, those are two different cars. They are Fleetline sedans. Both appear to be Cuban hodge podges. Either of them is a 1952. In '52, only two door Fleetlines were built. As noted, the grilles are not original to the cars but seem to have been source from the same car or vendor.

Why would the painting be valueless if the exact model name is unknown. Shouldn't art stand on it's own merit?

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, eastcoastgal said:

I'm trying to find out what it says on the logo. On the front of the hood, the name is on the logo and I need to know what's written there. It will look stupid if I leave it blank or out 'Cadillac' if it's not a Cadillac...

Okay, it says "Chevrolet" on the hood badge. And also has the Chevrolet "bow tie".

Maybe you can enter "1952 Chevrolet" in a search engine and see the photos of a 1952 Chevrolet hood that will give you the detail that you need. 

And by the way you are welcome for the help.

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

CarlLaFong showed you the closeup of the emblem on the cars pictured. Both cars have a 1952 hood emblem but a 1951 grille. 99.9% of the parts are interchangeable between 1951 and 1952 Chevies so both of these Cuban creations have parts from both years -- and probably many other years and even manufacturers.

Don

Yikes! And, I really don't want to be rude? But there is a whole lot of guesswork going on here.

They definitely are two totally different cars. Both of them are so messed up that any "model" identification is pointless. Originally, with a few exceptions (like the hardtops), the bodies (and even much of the trim) crossed through several model variations. The '49 and '50 bodies are almost alike, with trim differences. The '51 and '52 bodies are virtually identical, except for some trim which varied from model to model. The '53 and '54 are very similar, with some differences in the fenders and trim. Regardless, these have been altered enough that those designations are meaningless.

I think the first car may be a "Fastback" model. They came in both four-door and two-door in several models, both DeLuxe and standard. From the front angle of the picture, I can't be sure that it is a Fastback, but since I had a '52 two-door many years ago, I think I can see the difference from inside the car. The kicker is, I suspect that the first car may also be a '49 or '50. They are so close to the '51/'52 that although the fenders and hood are different, they can be with some effort interchanged.

The second car most likely was a '53 or '54 based on the windshield lines, maybe with earlier fenders. Maybe not. It could also be possible that the windshield was altered and it could be a '52 or even '51.

The grills, both of them, fit very badly, and likely were replacements made to fit any Chevy from '49 through '54. The have visual cues for both '51 and '52, but are correct for neither.

Several good looks from other views could help narrow down what they were originally. What they are is messed up. So much has  been changed on them in the past sixty years that it can only be speculation what else may have been changed, or what they were when new.

• Like 1

The Chevrolets are both Deluxe models and clones by the looks of them. The 1st one is a '51 and the 2nd one is a '52 ,note the parking/turn signal lenses of both cars. That was just one of the small changes between the years mentioned. If you look closely the rear quarters on both cars are of the '49-50 year models body design. The 1st car has just the grille replaced notice the hood line to grille while the 2nd car seems to have had the whole front clip replaced. 49 through 52 you could swap almost all of the major body pieces with relative ease on GM car models with the exception of Buick and Cadillac. They were their own breed of sheet metal parts.      

23 hours ago, padgett said:

Jack: that is because marine engines like Perkins and Volvo Penta diesels were available.

The guide was telling us that they were marine diesel engines that were supplied from Russia and China.

There was about a 50 Buick that I saw a few times, it was very beat up and smoked like crazy. Rattled like it was about to blow.

I bet it was a real dog.

Almost all of those modified and cobbled cars from the fifties that we see in the pictures are taxis.