Estate Sale Goodies, including 1910 White steamer

capngrog

If anyone is in the vicinity of Puyallup (how do ya pronounce that?), Washington 98374, It looks like this would be worth a visit.  The sale includes everything in what appears to be a well-equipped machine shop, with lathes etc.  The sale starts this coming Friday, July 07, 2017 and runs through Sunday the ninth.  It's a good thing I don't live near by:D

The link:  https://www.estatesales.net/WA/Puyallup/98374/1593690?utm_source=bellsouth.net&utm_medium=email&utm_term=32767&utm_content=Orlando-FL&utm_campaign=2017-07-04-1DaysBefore

If anyone goes, let us know what you find or buy.

If for some reason the link doesn't work, the company conducting the sale is "Accettolas Estate Sales" and their phone numbers are: (206)552-4379 or (206) 919-1106.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Less exciting when you realize that most of the items have reserves and are available for sale before the "auction".

Yeah, I missed that, thanks for pointing it out.  Here's the statement:

"Updates July 3 -Antique White Motorcars - There is one White/1910 Steamer Car, 1 (we believe 1913) Gas Powered Touring Car, and (1) Gas Powered Truck or another Touring Car (probably 1913). We are working on getting more info on them. They are available for pre-sale and a package with all the available parts in the shop."

I take that to mean (I could be wrong) that just the White Car stuff is available for pre-sale if someone buys all of them including their parts.  Hopefully, the rest of the items will only be available for sale at the time of the estate sale itself.

Where does it say that items are subject to a reserve?  It did say that some items will be priced, but that seems to be common practice, and I've found those marked prices to be negotiable ... especially towards the end of the sale.

At any rate, it looks like there's a bunch of cool stuff at this sale.

Around here, the usual estate sales are in the Villages and include mostly furniture and bric-a-brac. :(

Cheers,
Grog

49 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Less exciting when you realize that most of the items have reserves and are available for sale before the "auction".

Same thing with auctions that are live streamed on the internet. More fun when just bidding against anyone motivated enough to drive to the sale vs against any idiot in the world with a thick wallet and lack of common sense!

4 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

Same thing with auctions that are live streamed on the internet. More fun when just bidding against anyone motivated enough to drive to the sale vs against any idiot in the world with a thick wallet and lack of common sense!

This appears to be a sale, not an auction.  I don't see the word "auction" anywhere in the online notice of sale.

Cheers,

Grog

Only a couple of hours away for me , but I have to work.  Might be a good deal in the making. It would be interesting to know what sort of value they  have pegged the White's at.  Probably too high , esp . if they think one of them is a steamer.

Greg in Canada

Yes, estate sale, not auction. Shelves of magnetos! Glad it is 3000 miles away, or I would have to go.....:D  Nice little South Bend lathe.

I'm not sure he had enough horse bits!

I can understand the not publishing an address because people are out there to rob the pace before the sale starts. I went to an estate sale around here with many old tractors, and scrappers had stolen lots of "scrap metal" including cranks. Who knows what other valuable parts got scrapped by thieves.

• Like 2

Odd that they wont reveal the location until three hours before opening.

It about three hours from me, I wouldn't know how to find it if I was on the road when the announcement came.

Eliminates 99% of potential buyers.

Yes, "pew all up".

I am going up to the Fair Plex there the last weekend of the month to the Good Guys show.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

Odd that they wont reveal the location until three hours before opening.

It about three hours from me, I wouldn't know how to find it if I was on the road when the announcement came.

Eliminates 99% of potential buyers.

Jack,

I totally agree with you, and I just called the sales company.  I called (206-919-1106) and talked to Rob who is in charge of the sale.  He was quite friendly and seemed to know a little bit about the Whites, confirming what other posters on this thread have said: there is not a steam car in this sale.  I asked him about posting the address of the sale, and he replied that they do that at the last minute to avoid being overwhelmed by folks showing up a couple of days before the sale is ready and generally making things difficult for all concerned.  Rob said that if anyone on this thread is interested in attending the sale, to give him a call personally, and he will reveal to the caller the location/address of the sale.  He also asked that having learned the location, to please not post it on any of the social media.

If anyone goes, please let us know what it was like.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Thank you VERY much for that inside info , Grog ! That makes it super simple and feasible for relative locals like Jack and myself. Estate sales run like this always have incredible deals on some junk. Bottom feeders like myself can make short work of available storage space. I can easily waste most of my discretionary time , if any , "moving absurd objects from place to place". (The quotation marks refer to the coda of an epic fictitious rescue mission gone awry. I can't remember much of it , so long ago , quite disgusting as I recall). Almost 50 years ago , but that part has stuck with me all these years. Seems to describe my life perfectly. I don't suppose many of you wasted your precious time reading such vile filth. Was.that "Zap Comix" ? 

The last absurd objects I have cluttered my life with are these 6 remaining engines. They were transported to my Ranch in Central WA from the general area of the upcoming sale . They had to be moved , so I saved them. My shop is only 36x72 , so I really don't have room for long. Maybe the Baby Overland eng. and trans. (early '20s , not stuck) , can be bailed out from incarceration . Some of the remaining mills might have to be knocked down and fed to the wildlife. If I can multitask, I might just drop on in to the sale. Great test for my willpower,  as time , space , health , and bucks are running a bit low. Perhaps I will end up cursing you , Groggy my fine forum friend , but in the end I will only have myself to blame. I could use another set of hub jacks , though.  To your health , Grog ! -  Carl

P. S. Horses ears , horses ass ; those old mills will die in the grass.        Off in the distance (Sugar is headed away towards it) , is a 45' Great Dane freezer trailer. Maybe I will be able to keep 'em in that for a while. I have not been able to give away the '31 Chev. eng. Maybe I will "yank and tank" the head. If it magnafluxes good , I have been told I might be able to get some of my cost back for it. Eng. not locked.  - CC

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Spelling & nonsense correction (see edit history)

4 hours ago, C Carl said:

Thank you VERY much for that inside info , Grog ! That makes it super simple and feasible for relative locals like Jack and myself. Estate sales run like this always have incredible deals on some junk. Bottom feeders like myself can make short work of available storage space. I can easily waste most of my discretionary time , if any , "moving absurd objects from place to place". (The quotation marks refer to the coda of an epic fictitious rescue mission gone awry. I can't remember much of it , so long ago , quite disgusting as I recall). Almost 50 years ago , but that part has stuck with me all these years. Seems to describe my life perfectly. I don't suppose many of you wasted your precious time reading such vile filth. Was.that "Zap Comix" ? 

The last absurd objects I have cluttered my life with are these 6 remaining engines. They were transported to my Ranch in Central WA from the general area of the upcoming sale . They had to be moved , so I saved them. My shop is only 36x72 , so I really don't have room for long. Maybe the Baby Overland eng. and trans. (early '20s , not least caked up) can be bailed out from incarceration . Some of the remaining mills might have to be knocked down and fed to the wildlife. If I can multitask, I might just drop on in to the sale. Great test for my willpower,  as time , space , health , and bucks are running a bit low. Perhaps I will end up cursing you , Groggy my fine forum friend , but in the end I will only have myself to blame. I could use another set of hub jacks , though.  To your health , Grog ! -  Carl

P. S. Horses ears , horses ass ; those old mills will die in the grass.        Off in the distance (Sugar is headed away towards it) , is a 45' Great Dane freezer trailer. Maybe I will be able to keep 'em in that for a while. I have not been able to give away the '31 Chev. eng. Maybe I will "yank and tank" the head. If it magnafluxes good , I have been told I might be able to get some of my cost back for it. Eng. not locked.  - CC

C Carl,

I'm lucky in that I'm about 2500 miles from Puyallup and don't have to try to exercise my almost non-existent discipline that is supposed to prevent me from acquiring more useless, although really cool stuff (junk).  I have a modest collection of Zap Comix featuring the Checkered Demon and Ruby the Dyke, among other notable characters.  They are a bit twisted, but entertaining.  I'm not sure, but your quote "moving absurd objects from place to place", may have been attributed to either "Mister Natural" or the great "Checkered Demon" hisself.

Cheers,

Grog

Santiam correctional facility.

Its not the place that one drives by on Hwy 22, that is OCI (Oregon Correctional institute). But it is near there.

One has to be pre approved for these prison shows, background checks and so forth, so if you did just show up you would be turned away.

You should check out the Beaches Cruise at PIR on Wednesdays Gates at 3pm. Its a bit of a challenge to get to from out here as the rush to Vanc. has already started by then. But you will see hundreds of cars there every Wednesday as well as live music and several food venues, beer and drinks as well.

Check out NW auto mall for local show info. Several others listed for this weekend.

http://www.northwestclassicautomall.com/cruisenews.html?step=3&id=5441&returnstep=1

When you go to this link click on "cruise news".

Sorry to hijack the thread with this "hot rod" stuff. Just thought I would share some info.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Estate Sales! Going to an Estate Sale after the passing of a long time friend or acquaintence gives one time for an introspective realization of our individual part in remembering History.

II knew Roy Berrens for many years when he was building new wood wheels for our vintage cars. I recall visiting his shop and was in awe of a gynormous drill press hanging over a large table for boring the hub hole in the absolute center and perpendicular with the rim of a wheel. I also recall a time when visiting the Harrah Car collection in Reno and when I mentioned I was from Tacoma Wash I was ushered back to the shop where restorations were in progress. I believe that was Roy turning out wood wheel spokes 2 at a time back to back on a pattern following lathe. Not exactly mass production but probably as close as possible at that time.

The Sale was attended by many enthusiasts. I found a few bits to add to my 'stash'. So all of you continue going to Estate Sales while you can and find new (old) things to add to your personal collection. Also remember we are all present day custodians of History for the benefit of future generations. Enjoy! 

• Like 1