Thoughts on hotrodding/lowriding?

Guest Turismo

12 minutes ago, fordrodsteven said:

Some of the purists here at AACA look down their noses at someone like me and I find some people at the H.A.M.B to be just as condescending because I am not building a "traditional" hot rod or a "traditional" custom

I have (and still) owned prewars that simply are honestly OFF-topic for here or Hamb.  Like you hint to about Hamb; that site was supposed to be 100% old time customs and old time rods. NOT in-between..

Here is the MAIN point I must keep reminding us of, including myself.  We restorers must indeed admit we simply are losing old members, and not gaining enough new people that want 100% stock.  The Hamb faces the same crisis.  Therefore you will see off topic cars on BOTH sites, some are tolerated, some are not, by BOTH sites/members.

So as Richard Gere, with tears in eyes said in that Army boot camp movie "Officer and a Gentleman, when faced with his dropping out...he exclaimed "I have nowhere else to go"  !!   I feel that way many times at both sites...and cannot find a solution to make every last person happy that likes cars.

I wonder how many builds both restorations and modified get sidelined because of negative comments? Not everyone wants a perfect show car. Then the "junk" '34 La Salle that F&J has is finally rebuilt you can bet one of the first lines from an expert will be something about the owner "Ruining" the car without knowing a thing about what the owner started with.

• Like 1

How many people own a classic car? How many people own more than one classic car? How many classic cars are for sale? How many magazines are there that sell classic cars? How many cars still need to be restored? Lots of cars to do stuff with. Getting very hard to find the upper end stuff still needing to be restored. Older restorations are some of the best ones to buy, most were restored when good used parts could be found. The street rod/custom side drives the industry. AACA needs to step out and play a part of that scene. Not to change who you are, but to be seen. I wonder what is the average number of cars owned by AACA members? I am going to guess 6. Out of those 6 how many are road worthy? I bet that there are a lot of very nice cars just sitting lock away that would be bought up fast if offered for sale. Always a market for good stuff no matter what direction the build is going.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Then the "junk" '34 La Salle that F&J has is finally rebuilt you can bet one of the first lines from an expert will be something about the owner "Ruining" the car without knowing a thing about what the owner started with.

Bob, I know you have been around the "restored" end of the hobby way longer than I have, so you must know how to deal with that guy who is in a box. 

I do. 

And I certainly understand his "stand".  I take no offence unless he/they keep pushing my buttons on purpose...

By the way, my "good 34 conv" was stripped as a parts car many, many years ago, just like Xander just said about "most all" higher end cars were restored way back... Back then, mine was too rusty?... and as pricing was so low then, on a grade 5, they simply robbed better parts from it.  At least two later owners tried to "buy it back together" by sourcing the parts it needed. 

^^^ A circle of life, so to speak  ^^^

• Like 1

When I was a tiny kid, 5 or under, I knew the makes of cars by the emblems on the hubcaps. That was in the early '40's, 1940's, not 1840's.

When the hot rod era really came to life, I was there to watch that era grow. was mesmerized by what I read and saw. 

I was "hooked" with cars ..... new cars, used cars, hot rod cars, custom cars,  cars in wrecking yards ...... I loved them all.

I went through G.M.I. (General Motors Institute), spent my working years with Chevy Division of G.M.

I belong to A.A.C.A., H.A.M.B. and V.C.C.A.

One of my '51's is a stock 3 owner car, the other '51 has a "modified" engine, driveline ...... but the engine is still a 235.

My search continues for a stock '65 to '69 Corvair.

I guess my interests vary ....... I just like cars.

I think I said those very same words when I was  five !   :)

• Like 2

Couple of thoughts occur to me. Buick's, in or around the late 50's and 60's I believe, had air suspensions that basically could lower the cars inches from the ground. It was a factory option and I remember seeing it  as a kid when a family friend drove up in a Buick Convertible and sank it to the ground. I thought it was very cool. I'll never forget it hissing as it slowly lowered. First Low Riders?

I have a '69 Chevy C10 that was my Dad's, bought new. It needed to be saved so I took Title and changed it to my liking for local Car Shows and Cruising, which are go on at various locations almost every weekend around here. One major improvement to the Truck's handling was to change the front and rear springs lowering the front 2-1/2" in the front and 4" in the rear. Not really that noticeable unless parked next to a stock height truck. The cornering was dramatically improved with the slightly lower center of gravity and the spring maintained the 1/2 ton load rating. It also doesn't bounce around on ruff roads any more. Other changes maintained the body style but with a cleaner look of a newer style. I'm enjoying it and drive it often everywhere. Not something to show at Hershey, so I live in two Worlds which I find both to be fantastic.

My AACA Car is a stock original '68 AMX, with Senior and Grand National Awards. It's interesting that this one, and other pure stock cars get a lot of attention at the local car shows with no mods done to them.   Now going Off Topic but as an after thought, the younger crowd find the Stock Old Cars fascinating, point being the other Blog about getting younger people interested in AACA, here's a good way to do it. Think about getting you cars out to some local Car Shows, you be welcomed by all.   

20160530_160453.jpg

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Always a herd of Corvairs around here (six on the local CL at the moment). So if seriously looking what year/color/body style/ engine/transmission/ etc ?

If you're addressing me, I'm looking for a nice '65 to '69 Monza Coupe, with P.G., prefer the 110 engine.  No evening orchid color. A nice, turn key  car with a reasonable price that corresponds with the quality of the car.

In other words, no $10K tags on cars needing another $5K in mech. or body repairs.

I follow a nationwide craigslist site, have not seen all that much in Florida, don't know why.

I've had an ongoing thread for '65 to '69 Corvair here under buy sell and trade.

1 hour ago, Doug Novak said:

Couple of thoughts occur to me. Buick's, in or around the late 50's and 60's I believe, had air suspensions that basically could lower the cars inches from the ground. It was a factory option and I remember seeing it  as a kid when a family friend drove up in a Buick Convertible and sank it to the ground. I thought it was very cool. I'll never forget it hissing as it slowly lowered. First Low Riders?

I have a '69 Chevy C10 that was my Dad's, bought new. It needed to be saved so I took Title and changed it to my liking for local Car Shows and Cruising, which are go on at various locations almost every weekend around here. One major improvement to the Truck's handling was to change the front and rear springs lowering the front 2-1/2" in the front and 4" in the rear. Not really that noticeable unless parked next to a stock height truck. The cornering was dramatically improved with the slightly lower center of gravity and the spring maintained the 1/2 ton load rating. It also doesn't bounce around on ruff roads any more. Other changes maintained the body style but with a cleaner look of a newer style. I'm enjoying it and drive it often everywhere. Not something to show at Hershey, so I live in two Worlds which I find both to be fantastic.

My AACA Car is a stock original '68 AMX, with Senior and Grand National Awards. It's interesting that this one, and other pure stock cars get a lot of attention at the local car shows with no mods done to them.   Now going Off Topic but as an after thought, the younger crowd find the Stock Old Cars fascinating, point being the other Blog about getting younger people interested in AACA, here's a good way to do it. Think about getting you cars out to some local Car Shows, you be welcomed by all.   

20160530_160453.jpg

'58 Chevy had the air ride, as an option. Very nice looking truck and AMX.

I would have very few problems at all with modified vintage cars if only a small percentage of them were built with decent taste:

Why is it the majority of them are painted yellow, orange or purple? Is the vintage car not conspicuous enough?

Guest Turismo
Just now, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I would have very few problems at all with modified vintage cars if only a small percentage of them were built with decent taste:

Why is it the majority of them are painted yellow, orange or purple? Is the vintage car not conspicuous enough?

imo it's an ugly car to begin with, the paint job pushes it even further into the grave. it's always a flame pattern, too.

23 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

World War II ended, soldiers came home to their families, the guys got jobs and the hot rodding era came alive.

To call "hot rodding" a "sub-hobby" would get you into a barrel of crap at any hot rod event, back then or today.

Hot rodding was a "way of life", hot rodding is still a way of life to many.... just look at the ongoing events, car shows, cruise ins, coast to coast, seven days or nights per week.

To truly appreciate the world of hot rodding, you had to be part of the movement, as it expanded exponentially in the '50's, when guys were "in the know mechanically", but not spending colossal amounts of money as you state, instead,  utilizing their ingenuity to make whatever work with whatever they had to work with, in the garage. 

I see by your profile that you have just turned 16, can only tell you being 16 in the '50's was a mechanical adventure each day, with a tremendous sense of accomplishment with each achievement.

interesting description on how hotrodding began. I can see the appreciation for it, but like you said, as someone who never actually experienced the roots and relevance, it's less of a significance to me. Never knew it was started by struggling veterans.

7 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

That's  a perfect reason to attend AACA Meets. You get to see what you like. On the other hand. You don't go into someone's home and make fun of his furniture. You keep those opinions to yourself.

• Like 3

I would have very few problems at all with modified vintage cars

Why is it the majority of them are painted ...., ...., ...? Is the vintage car not conspicuous enough?

Well, here is mine.  I tried to duplicate a color cover? car from a 1951 HOT ROD magazine photo.  I refer to my car as a traditional, circa late 50s Autorama Show type build". My son and I hand mixed the color from my stock of FREE!,  PPG toners below:

100_0022.thumb.JPG.be3c6561553628f7b4cf103b2ccda313.JPG

The color is amazing.  It was a totally knockout to almost every person as my son drove up to register at our first cruise-in last week.  It blows everyone away as first comment, before they say of all the other features they see.  This color just glows nuclear on a dismal super dismal grey day, or in an unlighted garage.  It has WAY too much poly (metallic of differing sizes we through in a new, clean 5 gallon bucket)...but i'd not change it, ever !  :blink: See the refections of the white running boards??

32small.jpg.ff4daa6677058cd2705fda9205eb5eab.jpg

32small2.thumb.jpg.75cc18efff986db35c5e539377569af3.jpg

DSCN0752.thumb.JPG.2c5afbe61d11195e912b2445166fdc38.JPG

DSCN0757.thumb.JPG.1bc678c0d850fd84cf4e2ce1d412b83b.JPG

^^^^^^^^^^^ last pic in front of Revolutionary War Patriot; Nathan Hale's homestead, and also his monument in nearby Nathan Hale Cemetery, and in front of his neighbors home, and nearby field....all in Coventry Connecticut last Autumn...First shakedown runs when finally "finished' back then.

.Rock ON ! ...as I say with pride, of not only a fellow Connecticut person who gave it all for "us", but also pride of my car build/vision.

hope you all enjoy these pics I took for my fellow car-geeks, those that also like our Nations history...

One reason of MY thoughts that validate my approval of a "rod" thread which was started on AACA "restorers" site, ,,,and.... by a NEWBIE, YOUNG buck?... and also therefore validate the occasional super duper barn find of a beautiful survivor "32 Essex' FOUR DOOR sedan on hamb?   The Hambers ALWAYS join forces to exclaim to the finder, that: "Dude ! ..please don't cut that one up...just hand polish it and...DRIVE the wheels off of it!"

Speaking ONLY from my own half century of passion of the bone stock cars, and the old time style rods....in my OWN area of Southern New England:

Prewar stock died a long time ago.  Talking of cars actually making it to your local very tiny AACA sponsored shows, or local cruises/shows, cars that were once DRIVEN on our roads so we could attract possible people to our hobby?.. etc, not talking high end, full classic Senior restos that NEVER are seen there, or on the roads.......EXCEPT the stock Model A guys who drive the wheels off. Those stock Model A guys and gals carry the torch alone in my State.

We must climb out of our self made box, to realize we'd much more efficiently fight this situation better, if we understand the correlation between the rod vs stock Prewars.  Get a "prewar" OUT on the ROAD to attract interest, not only just showing your hard core efforts with a enclosed-trailered car to a group of fellow car lovers, and never being seen by the uniformed folks on the roads?

That build on the purple 35 ford says mid 90's. Fads and trends come and go. Keep your build clean, styling choices should enhance/high light factory design, quality work on customs is a must. Balance and proportions must be in the finished product. Some peoples taste is only in their mouth.( I know,I have a Hudson):huh:  I am over 500 miles on the shop truck so far, it gets smiles and waves from the young and old. The younger people think it is cool, maybe because it is really different when you see it compared to the sea of new cars on the road. Get your car out, you do not want to be the type writer or the record. Every time you drive your classic/collector car it is a mobile car show. That is how you get people involved in the hobby/trade/industry. 

buick 031.JPG

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)

If it's a car, I like it.  I prefer originality, but a person can do whatever they want with their own car.  I certainly appreciate the talents required to make some of the modified cars out there.  I admit some are real works of art.  However, I do prefer the stories that original cars tell.

I love cars and motorcycles. I like all types original and custom. I am not much into having some nut job tell me that the screws holding the voltage regulator to the firewall are the wrong ones for that year car.  when I spend the time to do perfect original restorations there is always some who will look high and low for something to say that was not done right. I learned quite a few years ago that enjoy cars and life to much to waste my time with worrying about what someone else thinks.

I have found a way to keep most every nut bolt and washer original. I put them in plastic containers labeled for later and add some black strap molasses and water. when I open the container a month or two later I have rust free hardware ready to use or paint.

Wayne wrote, "On the other hand. You don't go into someone's home and make fun of his furniture. You keep those opinions to yourself."

I posted a picture of a purple car with pink flames as an illustration of my thoughts on vintage rods done in dubious taste. Are you saying that I offended you? If so, I'm sorry, but I thought his thread was about our feelings about modified vintage cars.

XW - I love all "HUDSON BIGBOYS" !! I don't care if it has modern drive train or original it is just a great looking unique vehicle.

I have a somewhat original 38 State Commander Studebaker that came out of a barn and is a daily driver with a few changes to interior and drive shaft. It is worth about 11-15 grand (maybe). A similar 37 Commander with all modern drive train, interior, brakes, dash, wheels and A/C recently sold for $24,000 ! Some may say that was over priced some not. I talked with the fellow that built it and asked what it was like when he got it.  No engine, interior trashed, trans broken, rust, windows cracked and in need of wires, brakes and paint. He considered parting out the usable parts and junking the rest but just like the bodystyle too much.  He rebuilt it the way he could afford it and liked it.  He took his young daughters and wife out in it all the time and felt safe. The dark red (almost burgandy) color wasn't something I would have done but they liked it.  It was sold only because they were having another child and could use the cash. He says he will get back into the hobby when the kids are a little older and maybe when his wife goes back to work so they have a little extra money. How can this be bad for the hobby.  He did a lot better than my original car will bring, he enjoyed the car, he saved another prewar. Hopefully he will get back into cars laer. At least the car is still running and not scrapped.   

• Like 1

I am not sure I would agree that hot rodding was started by returning WW2 G.I's. There were many modified cars ; usually for speed but sometimes for styling, going back to almost the beginning of the automobile.  There was a thriving aftermarket for model T Fords at least as far back as the "teens", and many were modified with a wide variety of mechanical , body and chassis changes. Some were street cars, but many were oval track race cars, and the "dry lakes" straight line racers go back at least a decade before WW2.

Ford T's were the most common , but lots of other makes were used.  Essex frames were favored by many builders of oval track cars. The description "Hot Rod" grew in use after the war ; often used initially to describe dangerous vehicles and driving, but the practice of modifying automobiles to suit the needs of the owner goes back much further.

Greg in Canada

6 hours ago, F&J said:

One reason of MY thoughts that validate my approval of a "rod" thread which was started on AACA "restorers" site, ,,,and.... by a NEWBIE, YOUNG buck?... and also therefore validate the occasional super duper barn find of a beautiful survivor "32 Essex' FOUR DOOR sedan on hamb?   The Hambers ALWAYS join forces to exclaim to the finder, that: "Dude ! ..please don't cut that one up...just hand polish it and...DRIVE the wheels off of it!"

Speaking ONLY from my own half century of passion of the bone stock cars, and the old time style rods....in my OWN area of Southern New England:

Prewar stock died a long time ago.  Talking of cars actually making it to your local very tiny AACA sponsored shows, or local cruises/shows, cars that were once DRIVEN on our roads so we could attract possible people to our hobby?.. etc, not talking high end, full classic Senior restos that NEVER are seen there, or on the roads.......EXCEPT the stock Model A guys who drive the wheels off. Those stock Model A guys and gals carry the torch alone in my State.

We must climb out of our self made box, to realize we'd much more efficiently fight this situation better, if we understand the correlation between the rod vs stock Prewars.  Get a "prewar" OUT on the ROAD to attract interest, not only just showing your hard core efforts with a enclosed-trailered car to a group of fellow car lovers, and never being seen by the uniformed folks on the roads?

F &  J, the color on your car is beautiful, unique, uncommon and not RED !  The white interior, top, and running boards further compliment the car.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

If so, I'm sorry, but I thought his thread was about our feelings about modified vintage cars.

It certainty IS directed to "our"  individual  feelings IMO

why would anyone here choose a one sided thread ?  Post away, please.

14 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I am not sure I would agree that hot rodding was started by returning WW2 G.I's

I always felt that hotrodding started as soon as the FIRST two horseless carriages ended up in the same town, ... Horse lovers say the same about the first two riders of a horse that ended up in the same area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Wayne wrote, "On the other hand. You don't go into someone's home and make fun of his furniture. You keep those opinions to yourself."

I posted a picture of a purple car with pink flames as an illustration of my thoughts on vintage rods done in dubious taste. Are you saying that I offended you? If so, I'm sorry, but I thought his thread was about our feelings about modified vintage cars.

You can not offend me, but as usual some make comments  that the original owner may not think kindly of. Who knows, the owner that purple car make frequent our forums. 

• Like 1

Something I noticed a long time ago is that many of the best cars come from places that have a winter e.g. when there is not much else to do for a season. Of course I always thought Connecticut was for New Yorkers who wanted to keep some of their money.

Also think there was a bit of generalization about servicemen. Officers usually brought back interesting cars, enlisted men had to build their own based on what they had seen but with an American twist (no tax on displacement). Two different cultures..

Might also consider that from Northern Virginia to the North and East were three things: a lot of money, low speed limits (one car mag called it the "slow corner"), and short distances. Wereas the souf had little money, often no speed limits (for years Florida was "Reasonable and Proper",with a whole lot of nothing between the coasts & Florida's Turnpike had an over 100 mile stretch with one exit and was mostly dead straight). Tends to make a different kind of car popular.

Which naturally reminds me of the quintessential American movie: Smokey and the Bandit :" it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are. "

ps long long ago, remember what a quarter horse is. Seems like we can't make it that far any more.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, R W Burgess said:

You can not offend me, but as usual some make comments  that the original owner may not think kindly of. Who knows, the owner that purple car make frequent our forums. 

If he does frequent this forum, he knows what to expect. I'm aware that many of you who frequent these pages have modified cars. I put a Chev 283 in my '36 Plymouth coupe 49 years ago. Wayne, you and those who support your criticism of me for posting that picture, might consider painting a car of your own light purple with pink flames and see if it doesn't draw criticism from others. I also mentioned oranges, purples and yellow colors, most of which are vivid and garish. In another month the Minnesota State Fair grounds in St Paul will host it's annual Back to the Fifties car show. Last year over eleven thousand street rods from across the nation attended. There will be many thousands of beautiful cars, but there will also be an assortment of clownish looking cars all competing to be more outlandish and eye-grabbing than the other. It appears that amongst "purists", most are offended by mechanical modifications of vintage cars, while I'm usually only offended by excessive and, often, silly changes to their beautiful pre war lines and proportions. What it has in the way of modern driveline only bothers me if it's a particularly rare or desirable car that most would agree should remain original.

Guest Turismo
4 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

The argument he made was a little flawed, considering he was comparing a first-person interaction to what is essentially, an anonymous judging. In real life, judging one's hard-earned build is a bad idea, I say that much.

soliLast year over eleven thousand street rods from across the nation attended

Interesting that you bring up " attendance number" in this thread:  I was a member of a long time Hot Rod club named Ty-Rods,founded in 1959 in Rockville, CT.,  and still going strong today(always had it's own clubhouse/garage)...the home town of Gene Pitney.  Gene was also in a car club here, name forgotten, and from a fellow Ty-Rod who was a good friend always of Gene, said Gene ran a hot 35 Ford coupe and a mild Custom 57 Ford 2 dr ht.   back in the day here.

anyways, Ty-Rods started one of the first rod swaps in eastern CT, if not the first, back in early 70s. Located at the Stafford Motor Speedway, which by the way, was owned at that time by Malcom "Mal" Barlow, who was a long time stock early car fanatic that also ran the orange/black cut down Hupp w/Buick straight 8 in dozens of the "Great Race".   It quickly grew as there was a very hungry need to fill.  The club accepted rods from many States away, to enter free, and park 90 degrees to the entire paved oval outer rail to squeeze more rods in.  Then as it still grew, a 2 to 3 lanes wide, full of rods, parked in line on the surface of the track itself along with the outer former ring of cars.  I do not recall the final year total, when we decided to dis-allow cars due to the angry swappers that arrived too late to find a spot to sell.  It may have been, just a wild guess?  maybe IDK, 700/800??

And now, decades later, the track is the home for the annual huge Subaru car event, not just a show, but a "happening" much like Woodstock was in August 1969..  I think there are 5000-6000 Subaru cars that attend, total gate spectator number IDK.  But, while travelling the State roads at arrival or departure...you see males of all ages driving as well as female drivers!!...these cars are the new hobby to replace our rods...easy to own (payments),with warrantee, super fast and very nimble, when bone stock.... and respond nicely to modifications... so there you have it, Prewar guys,...times are always changing constantly, and Stock prewar long since passed away, if we deal with real numbers, too,

EDIT>>>In case you don't know... I AM a never quitting, never giving up, owner and supporter of prewar stock..always have been...

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

so I really can't understand how you guys can be so Politically Correct. I though we are a bunch of guys talking about what we like and don't like in vintage cars. The only one who has come close to responding to my complaints about beautiful old cars done up in silly colors is someone's vague remark about individual artistic taste. Don't be so touchy and don't be so quick to pounce one someone whose opinions are probably held by others.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It appears that amongst "purists", most are offended by mechanical modifications of vintage cars, while I'm usually only offended by excessive and, often, silly changes to their beautiful pre war lines and proportions. What it has in the way of modern driveline only bothers me if it's a particularly rare or desirable car that most would agree should remain original.

Well I have to say the OP got us deep into some discussion here. I tend to roll along the lines of Hudsy Wudsy's thoughts. There are many cars worth saving and keeping as original as possible.

While I could bring my '55 TeeBird back to "as original" I find it will cost much more than I care to spend. I have time and I have abilities. I can make it a good safe running driver at what many would consider minimal cost. My car is already beyond what may be considered something to be restored to original. Last week at the monthly "Old Birds Breakfast" one of the guys was saying that they used to part out cars that were better than what people are now starting out with for restoration. I have been very impressed at some of the work I have seen done at the H.A.M.B. starting with pieces of a car just as I have been impressed here by people making their own parts for orphan brands and showing how they make parts that cannot be purchased anywhere. There are true artisans in both areas. As I said earlier I have the ability to do make my car come out the way I want but I very much enjoy seeing the different approaches some other people take. That is the beauty of the internet. Lots and lots of information and knowledge from strokes on a keyboard and a good search engine.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

The only one who has come close to responding to my complaints about beautiful old cars done up in silly colors

Well just my own view on that one issue?  I don't know if you meant silly colors on street rods or also stock?

I will not go get a few pics of 'Massively Offensive" colors schemes(IMO) on prewars that never ever had those colors....but... If I did, and the owner sees what I gave for an example.... I have caused him to be sad? or angry, or depressed if he now knows he made a mistake and has no funds to redo?  So I just can't, as it IS a hobby to me, nothing good to be gained by my examples., ....  so good or bad examples are maybe "in our own minds" not really everyone's minds .... 

When I saw the original post I purposely didn't open it because I just KNEW where it was going. after 3 pages and 74 posts I thought I'd check in and skim the replies. Yup. I was correct. So, carry on guys and see if you can't flog some life into this long dead horse..... Cheers..............Bob

• Like 1

Years ago I had a boss who painted a RR Avon pinkish beige with white fenders along with a white vinyl top and chrome, vacuum plated, wheels. I told him it was ghastly... I even wrote about it as ghastly but he had his own notions of what cars should look like — generally as flamboyantly bright as they could be and always with wide white walls.  He liked to offend peoples sensibilities but I find it difficult to call that an art form. If it is, its very bad art. People criticize art all the time. I dislike art deco and have no use at all for impressionism... so why not cars?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Yup. I was correct. So, carry on guys and see if you can't flog some life into this long dead horse..... Cheers..............Bob

So in some words, it is best to leave the sides forever on defense of each other, and both not realize that their prewar hobby is DEAD or in rodding, it is Dying?...and might we somehow promote at least in some form, the cars made pre WW2?

carry on,

1 minute ago, F&J said:

So in some words, it is best to leave the sides forever on defense of each other, and both not realize that their prewar hobby is DEAD or in rodding, it is Dying?...and might we somehow promote at least in some form, the cars made pre WW2?

carry on,

Nope, just sayin no one here is going to convince the other side that a velvet painting of Elvis is art but the Mona Lisa is just a picture. Carry on...........Bob

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Nope, just sayin no one here is going to convince the other side that a velvet painting of Elvis is art but the Mona Lisa is just a picture. Carry on...........Bob

Bob, respectfully...and quite seriously...We the benefactors of those gallant Patriots like Nathan Hale, who although he was near safe haven from battle, when nearly becoming a college teacher,...he was coerced into serving by a friend, for our cause to rise against a "issue"..  He was the only one who stood up when George Washington asked for a spy behind British lines...He offered all he had,,, and his life was taken by the Redcoats in New York, at the age of his early 20s...  He and many others throughout time, have not chosen to just accept an issue as not worth any effort, they at least tried. 

. I wish prewar stock immanent death, as well as the....  eventual death of prewar rods would not be so, so My only stand is to try to stop the pig headed interfighting of two different prewar hobby "sides" while the prewar ship itself sinks even deeper.

When I attended the first ever outing with my 32 rod about 2 weeks ago, just one lonely prewar stock showed up...an upscale quality, show ready, 33 Ford phaeton... it was a hit even though it seemed he might be a regular there.   So where were any prewar stock friends of his, at a nice, pleasant low key cruise?  He stood ALONE just like Nathan had..  Sorry for the history drama, but it does relate in my mind.  I will join him, when my Nash or my LaS are done...maybe both at once if I had my druthers.

I don't see any infighting other than superficial grousing. And the sad truth is that both the rodders and the preservationists are likely to end up in the dust bin of history with only a few adherents of a dying technology. 50 years from now if you say you collect cars you will be considered  some likeable enough eccentric that bores others with your hobby. So, rodders keep up the good work and restorers enjoy you what have while you can. Remember, we're all just penciled in........Bob

9 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

I don't see any infighting other than superficial grousing.

I have not attended a show or cruise in a very long while, I don't know why,,,but it gave me a clearer instant view of what "wasn't" there.  All I am saying is that IF I get lucky to have 2 stock prewars there at some point, I will certainly insist on my stock prewar friends come along with theirs.. 

Also related to the above^^, ... as a "fresh" viewer, I sure did notice a expanding small group of mid 20s folk talking about the "oldest" cars there, and as it was 99 % rods, they naturally talked those up as "I wish I had.."  Why not we take the effort to expose that group to a larger group of stock prewars, and even if only one or two decide to persue, and finally get one, that is a win to me.  I, the Dreamer? perhaps...