Has anyone tried these?

Laughing Coyote

As I was trolling thru Ebay and I came across these lead spears that are suppose to go inside your fuel tank and allow your older car to run on pump gas and provide enough lead to make it perform the way the car did when it ran on leaded fuel.  They come from the UK.  Has anyone ever tried these?  Do they work? :unsure:

3e48_12.jpg

What was known as "lead" was not Pb but tetraethyl lead, a compound aka "ethyl". Was also the reason for valve rotators, to help clean the lead deposits off.

Anyone remember finding lead nodules on spark plugs sometimes bridging the gap ? Was one reason plugs needed to be changed frequently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, padgett said:

What was known as "lead" was not Pb but tetraethyl lead, a compound aka "ethyl". Was also the reason for valve rotators, to help clean the lead deposits off.

Anyone remember finding lead nodules on spark plugs sometimes bridging the gap ? Was one reason plugs needed to be changed frequently.

thank you padgett.

save the lead pellets for a 'lead' pencil

The seams of old gas tanks were often  soldered. Solder is lead. Reminds me of the hundreds of different fishing lures you see in the sports section of any store. They are very good at doing the job they were designed for. Unfortunately that job Is not to catch fish but to remove money from the pockets of the gullible

• Like 1

Here is the actual ad.  Thanks for all the input om it.

THE FORMULA POWER FUEL CATALYST

This will allow any engine designed to run on leaded petrol to run safely on normal pump unleaded 95 octane fuel.

The fuel catalyst has the desired effect of raising the octane lubricating the engine and burning at a slightly lower burn temperature.

There is no need to use a liquid additive or to retard the ignition timing or to fit hardened valve seats

The fuel catalyst is a tin amalgam and follows very closely to the original Royal Air Force receipe which was developed to combat poor quality and low octane fuel.

This product is not unique to us, there are a few companies producing a similar product but we hope you will be impressed with our honesty about this product.

It simply is placed into the petrol tank of any car or motor cycle and then only 95 unleaded fuel needs to be used.

Lead was put into petrol in 1936 to stop the KNOCK this product was developed in 1941 for the Royal Air Force.

HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?  Some companies claim unbelievable mileage but you cannot claim this as cars and motor cycles differ in the amount of fuel they consume.

We therefore state that our product will be good for 100,000 miles.

We give a 6000 mile test period, a full refund if you are not satisfied and a £1,000,000 product liability insurance underwritten at Lloyds.

ONE FINAL POINT IF YOU LEAVE YOUR CAR OR MOTOR CYCLE FOR MONTHS ON END WITHOUT USING IT THE FORMULA POWER FUEL CATALYST WILL KEEP THE FUEL FRESH AND STOP IT BECOMING STALE.

MADE IN BRITAIN   MADE IN BRITAIN   MADE IN BRITAIN

Alright, it's time for me to come clean. In 1995 I purchased an apparatus which claimed to reduce fuel consumption, emissions, and to reduce DETONATION. Pinking, we call it here. I was getting desperate, having carefully rebuilt my 1275 MG Midget engine along David Vizard guidelines, but with the compression ratio apparently a little too high for pump petrol. (It is a road-going club competition vehicle). Despite different distributor curves and timing/mixture settings, I couldn't stop the serious pinking.

Our car club received a promotional offer for one member to try a FUELSTAR canister, at a reduced cost, if I remember correctly. It caused quite a bit of mirth around the committee table, but I decided to be the bunny. And it wasn't inexpensive, but with a money back guarantee. I duly fitted it in the engine bay, with a bypass hose in the fuel line. Headed off to a long hill, which the car would not even climb, due to detonation. Back to the bottom, plumbed in the Fuelstar device, and the Midget zoomed up the hill, running sweet as a nut, and pulling the new red-line of 7,000 without any pinking at all! Astounded, and thinking it wasn't possible, I disconnected it, and once again it wouldn't pull the skin off a custard.

My news was met with cynicism, if not derision, within the club, so I largely kept quiet about it. As I don't bother monitoring fuel consumption on this vehicle, I can't offer any opinion as to their other claims.

I must add that I have no connection with the people producing the device, and haven't even given it a thought for about 20 years, until reading this post. But it's still on the Midget, and still working, I guess.

I just found their website, a NZ concern, and they seem to be still in business, despite detractors.

Make of it what you will. I'm still scratching my head!  Mick.

It is not even lead (Pb), it is Tin (Sn) so let's not be so quick to judge.

Cornelius says real-world tests, in which units are fitted and their performances monitored, continue to produce the same result - a reduction in emissions and improvement in fuel economy, both in petrol and diesel-fuelled engines.

The Fuelstar fuel catalyst is a stainless steel canister containing metal pellets. The main ingredient of the pellets is tin.

Cornelius says that once plumbed into a vehicle's main fuel line, the fuel passes through the canister in the same way it does a simple fuel filter.

The difference, he says, is that as it passes through the canister, minuscule particles of metallic tin are released into the fuel supply.

They are carried through to the engine's combustion chambers where they act as a catalyst in the combustion process.

In simple terms, says Cornelius, the tin changes the combustion characteristics of the fuel, giving a more complete and more prolonged fuel burn, resulting in improved engine efficiency and performance.

He says Fuelstar, which lasts for 500,000km or 12,000 engine hours in an off-road 

This "scientific" report says there is no benefit to Tin.  http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/fuelcatalyst/hiddenreport1.htm

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

This almost makes sense if true and sounds like a better system if instead of in the tank it's plumbed in the fuel line. Not saying I want it but find it very interesting to say the least. Need more proof I think.

So I did a Google Search and got multiple hits. One that is interesting is this one.

http://www.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/fuelstar-catalyst-ineffective-watchdog-20100223-p04a.html

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

So I did a Google Search and got multiple hits. One that is interesting is this one.

http://www.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/fuelstar-catalyst-ineffective-watchdog-20100223-p04a.html

Yes, that is the first article I read, as well.

Then I had a look at the company website, and it seems there may be more than one body trying to discredit them. The reports on properly conducted tests by Californian Environmental Engineering, the Victorian EPA,  among many others,  and a number of fleet owners around the world, make interesting reading, though. I tend toward having an open mind on this. As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

• Like 1