1937 Buick Model 48: RESTORATION HAS BEGUN! (Photo)

Gary W

2 hours ago, kgreen said:

Great sketch, thanks for providing the article.  I did notice that Hugh Patterson noted that the dimensions were not accurate for the 15-inch wheels.  I have a 1937 15-inch wheel with original stripes that I can measure for more information.

I've been thinking of how to repaint the stripes and wonder if some sort of jig could be set up at the front wheel to align a small artists brush for proper placement of the stripe.  Then with the wheel elevated, place an electric motor with a small sheave against the tire for rotation to provide a consistent radius to the paint brush.

Interestingly enough that is very similar to a method documented in another early Torque Tube article.

1937 Buick - Wheel Strips, Made Easy With A Rock Pollisher.PDF

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

Actually it is my belief there are some 1937 Buicks that came with only two stripes.

Carl

Every original one I have seen had 3 stripes. 

• Like 1

All five wheels on my car appear to be original and if they were painted it was before the mid 60's. Marty Roth's car also has two stripes per wheel and is an original car. I accept the fact most had three stripes, but I believe they didn't all come that way. Just my opinion and I can't prove it.

Carl

I don't want to argue but I know that Marty had his wheels repainted. They are red. They were red when Marty bought the car and he is convinced that they were original at that time, but all of my research tells me that the red optional wheels were not available in 1937. They became optional in 1938. I suspect that lots of people repainted wheels, probably many because they liked the look of the later red optional wheels. That some would repaint two stripes instead of three sounds more likely to me than the factory would paint most of them with three but a few of them with two. It is possible, but unlikely.   

• Like 1

I thought Marty once told me his wheels originally had two stripes.  Sometimes it is hard to tell what is/was original so your enlightenment does give me more doubt. I do know in sales brochures the majority of them show three stripes (some none) but those are not always accurate. I'm not going to argue either as my suspicions are mainly based on just my car then. For now I'll capitulate and we can go back to following this great thread.  :)

Carl

5 hours ago, kgreen said:

Great sketch, thanks for providing the article.  I did notice that Hugh Patterson noted that the dimensions were not accurate for the 15-inch wheels.  I have a 1937 15-inch wheel with original stripes that I can measure for more information.

I've been thinking of how to repaint the stripes and wonder if some sort of jig could be set up at the front wheel to align a small artists brush for proper placement of the stripe.  Then with the wheel elevated, place an electric motor with a small sheave against the tire for rotation to provide a consistent radius to the paint brush.

My thoughts on a stripe is to fashion a jig the rim can lay flat and spin. Good high quality brush that holds enough paint. Spin the wheel and hold brush as steady as possible.  Perhaps the fellas that pinstripe and paint the fancy designs on some hot rods could handle the stripes on the wheels.  One thing for sure, the stripes add to the overall look of the car.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, pont35cpe said:

Gary, I just gotta say everything looks great..  I like the painted recesses in the wiper towers, and maybe you just haven`t done it yet, but how about the recessed vertical grooves of the speaker grille? Would make the little ribs stand-out..  Tom

Please refer to post # 415 on the previous page.

Gary,

Here's my '40 series 90 wheels with 3 stripes and they are not evenly spaced, FYI.

"Buick" was painted with the "brush and wipe" method using Krylon sprayed into the cap.

It has lasted 5 years so far.

Mike

100_2123.jpg

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Since the cars were assembled in different locations, it is very possible that parts suppliers may have differed in things like the wheel striping.

I agree with KongaMan. The original engine paint on my '38 Roadmaster looked as if someone just threw a bucket of paint at it (Except the valve cover with logo on it)

10 minutes ago, DonMicheletti said:

Since the cars were assembled in different locations, it is very possible that parts suppliers may have differed in things like the wheel striping.

I agree with KongaMan. The original engine paint on my '38 Roadmaster looked as if someone just threw a bucket of paint at it (Except the valve cover with logo on it)

My 60 Electra with 32k original miles has engine green overspray on the carb.  The body tag was hastily taped and firewall sprayed the body color. Then tape removed leaving the body tag covered in the base brown primer. Factory assembly, fit and finish were not like today's vehicles. 

I spoke with a fella that worked the line at the DE plant. He stated that some nuts and bolts did not find a home but ended up behind a door panel. Sometimes an empty bottle of liquor found its way there as well. 

3 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

I spoke with a fella that worked the line at the DE plant. He stated that some nuts and bolts did not find a home but ended up behind a door panel. Sometimes an empty bottle of liquor found its way there as well. 

To that end, there was some kind of a tool (bent wire with a handle made of tape; like a prison shiv :P) left in the trunk of my 64.  I know it came from the factory because they painted right over it, then put the trunk liner on top of it.  You'd think they would have noticed the big lump, but I guess not.

10 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

I thought Marty once told me his wheels originally had two stripes.  Sometimes it is hard to tell what is/was original so your enlightenment does give me more doubt. I do know in sales brochures the majority of them show three stripes (some none) but those are not always accurate. I'm not going to argue either as my suspicions are mainly based on just my car then. For now I'll capitulate and we can go back to following this great thread.  :)

Carl

image.png

Just in the interest of helping Gary have the best information and not trying to be argumentative, but here is a photo of Marty's car. While I dispute that the red color wheels are correct for a 1937 Buick, his photo shows 3 stripes on the wheels on his car.  The best information that I have is that the Buick specifications for 1937 called for three stripes. The two outer ones were narrower than the center one, as indicated in the previous document I posted earlier. 

• Like 2

We are getting further from the time when we can talk to GM employees in management, on the floor or in the repair shops that were involved with these cars during production and routine use.  In fact, we are getting further from the time when guys were involved in the first round of restoration of pre-war cars.  I expect some knowledge could be lost.  Thanks to all for the investigation and commentary of the wheel stripes. 

• Like 1

Over 220,000 1937 Buicks were built that year.  The likelihood that they all left the factory using all the same parts is unlikely.  

Lots of different suppliers we used, quality control  was NOT as good as today.  Inspectors most likely allowed things to slip through, so to say ALL that all had the same size/number of wheel pin stripes, well, NO ONE CAN SAY FOR SURE THAT 'THREE' WAS ALWAYS THE CASE.

Sure most did have three stripes, but don't be surprised to learn that a few got out with just two.  I don't know about 1937, but do know for fact that in 1954 Buick built cars per customers request.  Dad ordered a 4-door RM for a customer painted with a BRIGHT GREEN BODY, BRIGHT RED TOP, AND BLUE INTERIOR, so maybe Buick did some special treatments in 1937,  I just don't know.

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

Gary, I know this is taking you back to April when you got your new rear springs from Eaton, but last week I ordered new rear springs from Eaton for my `36 Buick coupe. They arrived this morning and to my surprise they have a plastic liner between the first 4 leafs. Looking at your new springs, they didn`t have the liner, was that the reason for the Slip Paint? Seems odd to me that your springs didn`t have the liner but mine do..   Tom

Hi Tom;

I still restore my leaf springs the same way I was taught over 25 years ago:   I disassemble every leaf and run a wire wheel over the entire surface of both sides.  By doing this, it will highlight any "slag" that is pressed or rolled into the steel.  Then, I take my time with a chisel and make sure all of this slag is removed, because I was told that when the spring flexes, the slag will certainly come loose and start to rust and squeak.  Once that is all done, I wash everything down with acetone and begin the painting.  For the Buick, I had the leaves blasted clean after the wire wheel treatment.  This created a clean, but "roughened" surface for the POR-15 to "bite".  I applied the POR-15 on both sides of the springs, followed by two coats of the Slip Paint.   

(SEE POST #143 on Page 6 for the process)

I started using "Slip-Paint" a few years back on my Model "T", and I really like how it performs and I don't have grease and oil squeezing out from the leaves.  (And the road dirt doesn't have anything to stick to so they stay nice and clean.)

I actually DID entertain the idea of buying a set of those leaf spring liners for the Buick, as the idea seemed pretty good.  But the ones I saw looked like the old "Hot Wheels" tracks I played with when I was a kid, and I didn't like the look of the lip showing in between each leaf.  So I opted to stay to my tried and true methods....

I'm curious to find out how they work!  It seems like a very good idea.  

Sorry for such a long-winded answer, but my leaf springs from Eaton  DID NOT  come with the leaf spring liners installed.  But I like to use the Slip Paint regardless.

Gary

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest ShoreGuy

Gary - Two thoughts come to mind;

1. Got to love American technology...particularly when you see new technology (this web-based forum) facilitating the collaboration surrounding solid-vintage-USA-designed-developed & manufactured technology (your vehicle) so that it is preserved into the enduring future.  Go USA, and those that care about it!  Details actually "do" matter!!

2. Whether contemplating the subject vehicle, or its caretaker (Gary), a common-denominator and resonating thought is "Driven to Perfection!"

I could not stop reading, looking at, and watching what you and your team have compiled...all 19 pages thus far...which comprises one of the most comprehensive, well-captured & presented works of focused passion, teamwork and collaboration encompassing American-designed-developed-and manufactured technology-preservation involving family, friends, and sharing...truely impressive and most-commendable!

Gary, thank you, thank you for posting the disassembly of your 37. Couple questions, why didn't your sand blaster do the inside of the kick panels, why leave that fabric insulation material on the inner side? Can you get those cage nuts somewhere? Did you take the factory rivets out of the hood where the chrome vent pieces are, I didn't see them in the pictures. 

We plan to put a new chassis under this model 46 so we have the original, complete chassis with motor, trans available if someone knows anyone who is looking.  We will need to have the speedo/gauge panel reconditioned, do you have a name of someone who does that?

Thanks again for your postings, it has been very informative.

• Like 1

Shore Guy:  I really appreciate you following the posts and the kind words.  It is a labor of love and cannot be done without a great support team!

I get so lost in the history of these automobiles.  Often I think back to the guys on the assembly lines building these beautiful machines, and I have a great respect for them. In a way, I feel like my restoration is preserving that part of our history.

Dallas Alice:  

1. I did remove a couple of small pieces of the insulation to assess the metal underneath.  The metal is perfect so the decision was made to simply leave it in place.  

(If the metal was rotted or rusted under there, it would have all come out.)

2. Cage nuts are readily available from CARS or Bob's.  I needed 6 new ones and they fit right in.  Look back at previous posts in the body shop.  You can see them being installed.

3.  Yes, I ground out the rivets from the hood vents.  Sent the vents out to be re-chromed and I will re-install with stainless steel machine screws / lock washers / nuts.

( See Page 17, Post # 403.  You can see the hood vents delivered from the chrome shop)                   

4. Bob's Speedometer will recondition the entire instrument cluster.  All five gauges, rechrome the frame.....  nice job.

I really appreciate everyone following along.  Got some news today that the body work will continue uninterrupted starting Monday morning so hopefully the build begins in a few weeks!

In the meantime......

• Like 3

Saturday August 12, 2017:  Steering Column

Column is finished.  Looks very nice and I think the brown color will really compliment the newly wood grained dash.

(This was started on Page 14, Post # 341)

(Then on Page 17, Post # 403)

DSC_0299.thumb.JPG.519c51a37d1e3d588195421e88db01a9.JPG

Flashback to the "rope trick" sanding off that wood grained brown paint.

DSC_0984.thumb.JPG.0a39de80fe29ed768b361502d131ee70.JPG

All cleaned up down to the bare metal.

DSC_0302.thumb.JPG.a8ce4f86acb603fba98ddc742eaf47dd.JPG

Acetone wipe down and then clean with one of John's pre-paint solutions.

DSC_0329.thumb.JPG.1780ba0c2f44564a69f285f288ffc913.JPG

John spraying the primer.

DSC_0333.thumb.JPG.17e851fee04745c3ba31ff267ab706de.JPG

Primer applied and allowed to fully dry for a week.

DSC_0750.thumb.JPG.3bedde2447edbb6b8509e1f7274d7a17.JPG

A very light sanding of the primed surface..

DSC_0765.thumb.jpg.b11a8c8d3e6069e2153fcf36cd1a4899.jpg

Blow off all the dust with his compressor and then a final wipe down with a clean rag.

DSC_0815.thumb.JPG.ad150dc8d4289fce164c5387194592c1.JPG

Using this paint, reducer and catalyst....

DSC_0768.thumb.JPG.8ecfed884b61039309d5342b160f22d8.JPG

John mixes it all together.

DSC_0780.thumb.JPG.ff18aba0403901337a3b7da862fe62f3.JPG

First only a light "tack-coat" is applied.  Then the color coat.  This is followed the next week with another color coat to really give the paint "depth".

DSC_0079.thumb.JPG.2461e2cc7555aae7028c6b2ea2b6691c.JPG

Here we are after the second coat of color.

DSC_0807.thumb.JPG.3a530ef0b9464c2d0b75f8207a5f3d49.JPG

And now all the tape removed.  

Aside......  In the glove box was an original key that fit the cylinder and still works.  (This photo is not the original key)

I will paint the insets black on the ignition switch like the other parts.

Have a great night!

Gary

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wednesday August 16, 2017:  Update on the body / paint progress

The Impala with the rotted out quarter panel is now repaired and out of the shop so my Buick has the place to itself!  It was great to stop by this morning and see my car centered in the shop and getting prepped for paint.  Today Bob started spraying the yellow "self-etching" primer on the inside surfaces of the body.  He was decked out in a ventilator mask and headgear.  I was photographing by going outside, taking a deep breath, then holding my breath while snapping a few shots......  I didn't stay long.   I left him spraying so I don't know how far he got.

DSC_0847.thumb.jpg.1c8684c885449ba6723bcecde9a1c953.jpg

My Buick is center-stage!  Progress will continue uninterrupted now.  Bob will dedicate his shop to my car until it's done.  

5994e98874592_DSC_08442.thumb.jpg.e321ecace031636f445ec1e7e2a018d4.jpg

Window riser removed from the passenger's side.

DSC_0849.thumb.jpg.684ee27de6b5d0ee6ae35850b99de213.jpg

Driver's side also stripped down and the bare metal cleaned up for the self etching prime coat.

DSC_0851.thumb.jpg.dcbcdfb812944451ad89b9e4828f6387.jpg

The "self-etching" primer is actually grey at first. It takes a good five minutes of constant stirring to scrape all the "mud" off the bottom of the can and get it to disperse in solution.

Then the color changes to yellow.

DSC_0852.thumb.jpg.6dbf1766431c8a15fc486cfd896a8bd2.jpg

First, the entire inside surface is blown off using the compressor.  Then, a tack cloth is used to wipe everything down.

DSC_0858.thumb.jpg.3728dc01c6e4ece86a0267638ea8614e.jpg

Begin spraying the primer coat.  

DSC_0867.thumb.jpg.11bb7a9c544a21edadb75e7cc2cbdaa4.jpg

Here he's doing the roof rails that support the headliner bows.  I didn't stay any longer.  The smell is an instant headache!

A quick note about my color choice:

I went to a local car show tonight.

This '37 Caddy went cruising by.  Cannot mistake those Fisher body lines.

Jet Black, Mahogany woodgrain, Tan Bedford Cord upholstery.

DSC_0875.thumb.jpg.67d20b3c00986914b52ae1542eb9e9c6.jpg

Classic.

Thursday August 17, 2017:  Body Update

DSC_0883.thumb.JPG.d9ef99375e43ff19f893a512b5e5ffcc.JPG

The yellow "self-etching" primer is now sprayed.

DSC_0884.thumb.JPG.fc1fadd738a8a0fa23629213a880b1a0.JPG

The inside is covered and will get a coat of black, but not clear.

DSC_0881.thumb.JPG.4de9b2a096d4ed2565f8d45acff81a6c.JPG

Interior shot.

DSC_0882.thumb.JPG.014639acc398f3fce406e1d429d4147d.JPG

Notice how the firewall data plate is masked.  Today the grey "build-up" primer will be sprayed.

Bob told me the build up primer can actually fill in all the letters and numbers and I'll lose all the data plate details.

Hopefully she's in prime by tomorrow.

Have a great day!

Gary

Edited by Gary W
Update body shop photos (see edit history)
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Gary W said:

A quick note about my color choice:

I went to a local car show tonight.

This '37 Caddy went cruising by.  Cannot mistake those Fisher body lines.

Jet Black, Mahogany woodgrain, Tan Bedford Cord upholstery.

DSC_0875.thumb.jpg.67d20b3c00986914b52ae1542eb9e9c6.jpg

Classic.

Gary, the car is obviously yours alone, and you alone should choose the color.  But I will admit that I am one of the people who has been scratching my head about your choice.  This pic of the black Caddy went a long way toward helping me to understand your choice!  Keep up the good work on both the car and this thread.  A class act from start to finish!

• Like 1

Friday August 18, 2017:  Body in Grey "Build-Up" Primer

I stopped by the Paint Shop after work today.  The body is in "build-up" prime now.  Here's a few photos:

DSC_0899.thumb.jpg.84f67470bed75bbff0df1d9f80183ab2.jpg

Passengers side.  The door threshold came out so nice and the quarter panel patch is flawless.  Completely undetectable.

DSC_0905.thumb.jpg.2a05de136ea4ae62859e53b29c61379c.jpg

Passenger side door jamb.  Everything came out so nice and smooth.  All the body lines are crisp and sharp. 

DSC_0916.thumb.jpg.2fa6351b93c94cb47043b5f1f83a70bf.jpg

Driver's side.

DSC_0921.thumb.jpg.becb3f3a49a2c0b2b45002f56305e527.jpg

Again, the patch panel repair looks awesome.

DSC_0922.thumb.jpg.c23341d2cc929f88f7aaaf9e4596ed36.jpg

Here you can see the "guide coat" that Bob sprays prior to sanding.  It helps detect any low spots that may need further work.  

So, going forward:  (As far as I understand the process......)

1. Raise the body off the wood dolly and support it up high so the underside can be cleaned, sanded, self-etch primed and then finished with a rubberized undercoat.

2.  Entire interior of the car will be sprayed super jet black.  (The interior will not get clear coated)

3.  Final sand (wet sand?) of the grey primer surface to achieve a super smooth surface for paint.

4.  Color coat exterior

5.  Clear coat exterior.

Have a good night!

Gary

My understanding, subject to more investigation on my part when I'm at your stage, is that if base color is mixed with the clearcoat, you will get more of an appearance of the original paint.  The clear coat will provide depth and shine which is what you may desire.  Adding color to the clearcoat gives you the same durability as base/clear, but reduces the depth of the clear.  Just a thought to throw on the garage floor as this is what I am considering doing.

• Like 1

Sunday August 20, 2017:  Cleaning and painting interior parts

I'm thinking that the main body shell will probably be out of paint in a couple few weeks so I'm prioritizing parts for the build.  Today I got a couple of hours to clean and paint some more stuff.  The largest parts were the rear window risers and their mounting screws and the metal track.  They came out very nice.  Then it was the cowl vent mechanism and related parts, the wiper mounting parts, accelerator spring, glove box hinge and mounting screws, door checks.... stuff that I think I'll need to install first.

DSC_0068.thumb.jpg.46d836c1c23ee8a8ecc18ab36219df80.jpg

Close-up of the window riser mechanism.  

DSC_0118.thumb.jpg.9e4382ef8f47f57112d08b42ae4ff7de.jpg

Here's my rig.  We had a beautiful 84 degree day today so it was nice to get out and work on the Buick.

DSC_0069.thumb.jpg.03126e02536a91c26187090f2cfb2012.jpg

After wire wheel treatment.  Already beginning to look nice!

DSC_0070.thumb.jpg.966cb27627f0543e30834598f2f48e43.jpg

Before and after of the window mechanism.  The "slash" marks are my way of making sure parts go back where they came from.  

I have a simple marking system for every part I remove.

DSC_0034.thumb.jpg.57689a8b2aba4034faed84f32697dccc.jpg

The metal channels were marked where they came from, but turns out they are the same part number for  the left and right sides.

(I'll still put them back where they came from!)

DSC_0171.thumb.jpg.9974202786dcf5489eacbd16dcb3439d.jpg

Everything gets a bath in paint thinner, followed by a bath and scrubbing in Acetone.

DSC_0178.thumb.jpg.7fe460ab7987848ef86828ef049e176e.jpg

Everything clean, dried and hung outside for paint.

DSC_0182.thumb.jpg.2a1615ee277951663ee2a95e486cfdd6.jpg

For these window risers and channels, I used SEM "Trim Black".  I have to say, I really like the way this product sprays and the finish is very nice.

DSC_0200.thumb.jpg.a81bd3274f53815986f10bcdb09d728a.jpg

Hanging in the garage to dry overnight.  You can see the Trim Black has a nice "satin" sort of "semi-flat" finish.  

DSC_0117.thumb.jpg.f51216cfdada051435e57b4579368cab.jpg

The nuts and bolts that hold the cowl vent arm to the vent itself.  

DSC_0123.thumb.jpg.a5d21de94d01e089db81f56854101b30.jpg

After wire-wheeling.

DSC_0097.thumb.jpg.45a62bd5714aa81d0acc85e275875cb9.jpg

The cowl vent arm before...

DSC_0146.thumb.jpg.49a763f1fe22a4f9853d3d0691ec274f.jpg

And after wire wheeling.

DSC_0177.thumb.jpg.d98761a2bde52124a195e8821c90e70a.jpg

All the parts get a paint thinner bath followed by an acetone scrub to remove any residual oils and prepare them for painting.

DSC_0189.thumb.jpg.259a21d3f5c0a225d4c42126961ee197.jpg

All the parts arranged for painting.

DSC_0192.thumb.jpg.6feb8f5d7076f9e3518f4e687aa750d5.jpg

I sprayed all these parts with a gloss black.  Now I'll bag and tag them and organize them for step-by-step installation.  

All these little details take a lot of time, but I'm trying to make as much headway as I can so the build moves along.

Have a great night!

Gary

• Like 3

I've recently found the SEM paints as well.  Have you addressed your steering column yet?  Not sure if your year is the same as my '40, is your steering column a light brown color?  I was going to see if the shop that sells the SEM paint could mix up a batch of that proper color.  

• Like 1

I did have my brown paint mixed at our local Norwood Parts Supply store.  ( See previous page #19, Post # 469)

I've used it so far for the steering column, the screw heads that secure the firewall insulator and the heater.  I'm going to do the emergency brake handle and maybe the front seat supports as well.  The paint is called  "SAVOY BROWN".  It's not exactly "Marsh Brown", it's deeper.  I would say more of a Burnt Sienna...   I wanted the column and those brown parts to be a deeper brown so it compliments the mahogany woodgrain and matches the firewall.

****  NOTE:  The "Savoy Brown" is a metallic paint.  Norwood simply mixed it WITHOUT the metallic flakes in it so it came out NON METALLIC.

IMG_0103.thumb.JPG.71fba492e22aaf770fb9f650b12c8510.JPG

Here's the Brand Code and the Description.   Just be sure to have it mixed as a non-metallic paint.

IMG_0101.thumb.JPG.5b58fb4e91d83a2dfe447155fddf9aae.JPG

I looked through a lot of paint chips before I finally settled on the color.

The finished product is exactly the color of the color chip in the book.

DSC_0807.thumb.JPG.3a530ef0b9464c2d0b75f8207a5f3d49.jpg.20207eeec346d27892104830b78234dc.jpg

Here's the finished column.

(I just pulled this in from the previous page)

Gary

• Like 3