AACA FACEBOOK PAGE

Steve Moskowitz

There is a Facebook page, a GROUP page, that is not officially the club's page but one we help manage since it began with only a few members and was struggling.  It is now headed to 10,000 members.  It is a great place to see cars and posts from all over the world.  It is not a forum like this one but rather just a fun place where people can share their love of cars, events and history with no serious discussions. Take a peek, there really are some great posts daily and a chance to see cars from all over the world as we have many foreign members.  Join if you wish or not but it is a fun stop if you need a break and want a car fix.  Lot's of photos.  Go to AACA ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE CLUB OF AMERICA   That is the correct name, just Antique Automobile Club of America will get you our official site.  Thanks and Happy New Year. 

• Like 1

John, yes there is a setting on individual Facebook pages that allows you to determine who sees the page. You can set up a Facebook account for yourself if you wish but certainly do not have to give out anymore info then you do here..you get to decide.  Some of you would really enjoy this page as there are some fascinating and interesting posts every day.  I am NOT pushing the site, just letting you know how terrific it is.  We are growing this site at a phenomenal rate because of all the good content. 

Bob, you don't have to give out any info to ANYONE if you do not want to.  It is totally your choice who sees what and what you decide to post. 

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Steve, does a person have to join Facebook

in order to see that page?

Sometimes people share Facebook addresses,

but the content is visible only if you join--

and I don't get involved in that type of medium.

Other times, they are open to all.

(Maybe there's a setting to change within Facebook.)

Facebook enables anyone who posts anything to choose what they allow to be visible. You can set anything to be visible to Public (anybody can see), Friends (only your facebook friends can see it). There are lots of other facebook privacy settings that a member can manipulate to choose all different levels of privacy on different segments of their facebook profile. If you are on facebook, you would probably enjoy the group. If you are not on facebook, you can probably see the posts in the group by following the link, but a non-member is unable to post anything in the group, similar to how this forum operates.

I have been away from the computer for a couple of hours. As soon as I saw that Steve had posted this, I figured I should check to see if we had any new member requests in the group. There were 35 new requests to join the group to review. Yes it is growing... 

I have enjoyed Facebook groups/pages for many of my various old car interests.  None are as good as the forum here, of course :)

Seriously, joining Facebook is easy and you do not have to put out any personal info unless you want to.  I have seen some of us from the forum out there and also found people I knew in real life who now show up in my feed regularly.   Give it a try with no worries, Todd C    

• Like 1

Agree, very convenient.  If you do not want to get inundated you can choose to not "follow" groups and people and check them out as you desire.  I belong to several car groups, some other groups and have car and non car friends.  Some post endlessly, so I just visit once in a while, others I know I will want to see stay on the "feed".  I visit AACA daily but took it off my feed (like a lot of other groups) so some of the groups I want to see with lower volume don't get lost in my "newsfeed".  Great networking, like this forum in some ways, much different in others.  As a rule, less technical in nature and more social but that is not hard and fast.  It is worth it to invest a little time in configuration and then you might find it is a convenient way to keep on top of things specific to your interests - and friends who seem to use it for contact more and more.

Plus, Poci1957 is not a bad guy - a "Facebook Friend", :) one of a few from our forum...

The facebook page is stealing eyeballs from the forum.  I know a bunch of guys that formerly were active here but are now there exclusively. 

Personally, the forum is a much better format for conversation and creation of a knowledge-base.  Facebook tends to be a place where people share too much information.

• Like 1

I just joined the Facebook page,

I'll be coming here just as frequently as I did before. Never hurts to have multiple sources for info/networking.

Of course I really need to join the AACA as well... it would be nice to meet some local people with similar interests. Sometimes I feel all alone with my ancient stuff in Houston ;)

I don't see that link on the group page that Steve posted about:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/7846724972/

I do see that the official AACA facebook page at:   https://www.facebook.com/AntiqueAutomobileClubOfAmerica/?fref=ts

does still have that link. Perhaps that is being left up until January 1 or it may just be an oversight that it has not yet been removed. I am not involved in the AACA's official facebook page but I do help moderate the group page, AACA Antique Automobile Club of America. 

I just checked out that Facebook group and joined. There are a lot of good posts already. For those who don't know how Facebook works, you can add people on your friends list if you want them or refuse friend requests if you don't want them.I only add family and close friends to mine and I have removed family members from my list when I found them to be a nuicance. You can adjust Facebook settings to your privacy preferences.  Only my friends on my list can see my posts, and my friends who make too many annoying posts are 'hidden' so I don't have to see them unless I want to.

I was able to connect to the AACA Facebook page using the link posted above, I am NOT a Facebook member, is it a different page or does it have more options for people that are Facebook members? I honestly don't see what the attraction is, there is no order to the page, nothing like this AACA Forum. ragtop4twom since you understand how Facebook works one question, you have "Friends" that can read your replies and they in turn have "Friends", what stops one of your blocked "Friends" from reading your reply from one of their "Friends" ? I just don't see any plus side to Facebook. Bob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

you have "Friends" that can read your replies and they in turn have "Friends", what stops one of your blocked "Friends" from reading your reply from one of their "Friends" ? 

The privacy settings on facebook are determined by how you set up a facebook account or how you set the privacy setting on any particular post. Only the people who you have selected as friends can seee things that you post with a privacy setting of "friends". If you post something with a privacy setting of "public" anyone who looks at facebook can see it, just like this forum. The content in the group is typically posted as "public" so anyone online can read it just like anyone can read any content posted on this forum. If you have blocked someone on facebook, they can't see anything you post on facebook.

Facebook and this Forum are two very different types of online resources. I spend (waste?) many hours each day on both of them. If you want to see many different antique automobile photos and stories, the facebook page is one place to look online for that type of content. There are others as well. I don't have to explain how this forum works, since you have experienced it. If I was not a facebook member, I probably would not join just for the AACA facebook group. If you are a facebook member, you would probably enjoy the group. 

1937hd45, there is a setting on Facebook for who can see your posts. Mine is set to 'friends'. There are settings like 'friends of friends' and others. Some people on my list have theirs set so if they post a picture only people on their list can see it but nobody else on their list can share it. Some people have their Facebook set so if you search their name you won't see any of their posts at all, for example, search 'Joe Blow' you may get a profile pic but no friends to show or no pics to show. It is the person's own preference. Also if an ex or some clown from your old school that wants to look you up will have to go through several people with the same name as you and still may not be able to find you. If your name was 'John Smith', there should be a few with that name, your profile pic could be your dog's face and any stalkers would never know you are the same 'John Smith' they are looking for. Only family and close friends are added to my own friends list for the reason to keep in touch without having to phone or visit them frequently. I had a cousin onmy list and removed her because we were never that close before and her private messages to me were annoying and full of poor spelling. 

16 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

John, yes there is a setting on individual Facebook pages that allows you to determine who sees the page. You can set up a Facebook account for yourself if you wish but certainly do not have to give out anymore info then you do here...

Can AACA please change the settings, then,

so that people don't have to have a Facebook account?

If I go to the "group" page without an account, some things are

blanked out.  If I go to the AACA's regular Facebook page

and opt not to sign up, they keep a big text-box at the 

bottom of the screen that blocks almost 1/2 of the page.

There must be a better way for those pages to reach non-users.

Sorry, I will not join Facebook.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is a link to google with my name on it. You will see pictures that get pulled up from this site posted by others. And it comes up under my name, just because I was posting on the topic. If you then go under "web" you will see anything about me, even a speeding ticket from about 10 years ago in OR. Anything you put on the internet is floating around out there. Type in your own name. https://www.google.com/search?q=xander+wildeisen&rlz=1C1MSIM_enUS572US573&biw=1680&bih=920&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwifmu_fzZnRAhVR-2MKHXR8C_oQ_AUICCgB

John,

There are differences in the page design of a facebook "page" and a facebook "group page". I suspect the things that you are not seeing are other parts of the facebook page design that you simply can't see as a person without a facebook account. I am sure that the annoying problems that you see are simply facebook's way of attempting to get you to join. If you don't want to join facebook don't. If you don't want to join facebook, you probably won't enjoy visiting any facebook pages.  

11 hours ago, Chase392 said:

I just joined the Facebook page,

I'll be coming here just as frequently as I did before. Never hurts to have multiple sources for info/networking.

Of course I really need to join the AACA as well... it would be nice to meet some local people with similar interests. Sometimes I feel all alone with my ancient stuff in Houston ;)

YES - Join AACA - we have a great print magazine, shows, tours, events, Library  - etc.

and thank you Andy for renewing your dues today! :D  Just under the wire for 2017!!  See, I am on top of everything here...:rolleyes:

John, no one asked anyone to join the Facebook page..it is there for people to enjoy if they want to...I am pleased that so many people worldwide are interested in cars and share their passion with us.  We have many, many different countries represented.  AACA can only change certain settings but cannot alter the fact that you need to sign up which is simple and you never really have to use but you do have login info. 

• Like 1

It is worth noting that a person can join Facebook under a completely bogus name as long as Facebook has a valid email address.  I have such a Facebook account - I belong to NO groups, I have NO friends, etc.  I completely understand how some of the members are reluctant to jump into something they may not fully understand.

But, I created this fake account in order to be able to visit certain Facebook groups that I find interesting.  I cannot post to any of those groups, but this enables me to see posts and photos and follow conversations without getting involved.  All that is required to do this is a valid email address.  One could even set up an email account just for this purpose.  It does have to be a valid account, though, because after you create your Facebook account, Facebook will send a link to that email address and you will be required to open that link to confirm your FB account.

I had a FB account in my name for years, and while I enjoyed some of it, I did not enjoy certain family members posting to my account when I didn't want them to do so.  I did not want anyone to "follow" me on FB.  So, I deactivated the account in my real name and have been using the fake account for lurking.  I like it much better this way.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

and thank you Andy for renewing your dues today! :D  Just under the wire for 2017!!  See, I am on top of everything here...:rolleyes:

I think it's 30 years this year! Might switch to needlepoint or baseball cards.

Thanks for keeping after me!

40 Nash R.jpg

Our Facebook accounts, in our opinion do not cannibalize the forums as they are completely different in nature.  The Facebook community is a far different make up then we see here especially from foreign countries.  The fact is we could not stop this group page if we wanted to!  It was set up by a member, using our name and we had no choice but to step in and offer our help which he gladly allowed as we had a nutcase starting to post there. I am not, nor is the club trying to do anything but offer people who want it another form of entertainment.  If you are a beer drinker you might once in awhile want a shot of whiskey! :) 

• Like 1

I belong to both.  It is my opinion that this page is better.  All the sub-forums here make this a better place. 

And you have to really want to be here to be here; facebook, on the other hand, well, it is sort of a free for all where anybody can wander in.

Even though there are bigger numbers at FB, I believe the bulk of the expertise is right here on this page. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, alsancle said:

Personally, the forum is a much better format for conversation and creation of a knowledge-base.  Facebook tends to be a place where people share too much information.

I agree with that, and I also like the forum better for real technical info.  I have already noticed the AACA facebook page attracts more casual (meaning uninformed) discussion, but it also serves to draw in the old car newbies we always enjoy here. 

Lets just say if I need advice on how to rebuild a rear axle I will come here but if I am sitting on the couch with the phone and want to see pictures or casual old car topics I will take a look at Facebook.  But purists should not even try to discuss the word "Classic" over there, Todd C       

I jokingly call Facebook the "internet for the attention-deficient." It certainly appeals to those who grew up on a steady diet of 30-second sound bites.

Its primary 'hook' is that it is optimized for access from a smartphone, which is the only 'computer' many young people use today.

Its big negatives for me are that it is largely uncensored and incredibly repetitive. There are some posts I've seen more than a hundred times over a period of a few years. For that reason, I find it wastes a lot of time scrolling through the stuff I keep seeing. And just try to find something you saw yesterday or even a few hours ago, if you have a large list of Facebook 'friends.'

Facebook posts reach a huge number of eyeballs, but the majority of it is to people who have no interest in collector cars. It's great if you're selling a product that appeals to a significant percentage of the Facebook population, but otherwise it doesn't work well to target smaller interest groups.

I've run a very active niche hobby forum (which uses the same IP Board software as here) for over a dozen years and I have come to believe that Facebook is a usable way to 'drive' or 'attract' people to forums like this one and hopefully to AACA membership.

"... the forum is a much better format for conversation and creation of a knowledge-base." Absolutely. Facebook IMO works very poorly as an archive or repository of knowledge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dosmo said:

It is worth noting that a person can join Facebook under a completely bogus name as long as Facebook has a valid email address.  I have such a Facebook account - I belong to NO groups, I have NO friends, etc.  I completely understand how some of the members are reluctant to jump into something they may not fully understand.

But, I created this fake account in order to be able to visit certain Facebook groups that I find interesting.  I cannot post to any of those groups, but this enables me to see posts and photos and follow conversations without getting involved.  All that is required to do this is a valid email address.  One could even set up an email account just for this purpose.  It does have to be a valid account, though, because after you create your Facebook account, Facebook will send a link to that email address and you will be required to open that link to confirm your FB account.

I had a FB account in my name for years, and while I enjoyed some of it, I did not enjoy certain family members posting to my account when I didn't want them to do so.  I did not want anyone to "follow" me on FB.  So, I deactivated the account in my real name and have been using the fake account for lurking.  I like it much better this way.

I think you might be skirting a fine line with what you are saying. Even the terms on this forum, ask for your info to contact you if need be. I would not want to use someone else's name, only to find out later you picked the wrong name to hide behind.

As an addition to my post #29 above, at my hobby forum members are required to expose their real names (either as their 'display name' or in their signature) in order to be granted 'full permissions' allowing themr to make posts and to utilize the private messaging system.

Yes, it's an unusual requirement on an internet forum, but it has generated a lot of positives. Members are a lot more civil and better behaved when they aren't allowed to hide behind an alias.

Are there people who refuse to show their real names? Of course, but it's in the minority and the full members strongly support the policy, which has been in place since day one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gwells said:

Are there people who refuse to show their real names? Of course, but it's in the minority... 

Just be careful, everyone, what you give out.

Your information is probably being tracked 

much more than you are aware.  Don't make it

any easier for them.

Forbes magazine did a revealing article

a good many years ago titled, "I Know What

You Did Last Night."  Their expert advice was to

"share the spurious with the curious"--never to

give out real personal information to people who

thought they needed it but really didn't.  The article

was so revealing, and important, that it was read

into the Congressional Record.

Here's a link to that story's author, who mentions

that November 1999 Forbes article:

https://pando.com/2013/10/26/i-challenged-hackers-to-investigate-me-and-what-they-found-out-is-chilling/

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I think you might be skirting a fine line with what you are saying. Even the terms on this forum, ask for your info to contact you if need be. I would not want to use someone else's name, only to find out later you picked the wrong name to hide behind.

I understand what you are saying here.  Even on this AACA forum, I am using a "screen" name, so to speak.  But, the email address I am using is a real one, and if the AACA needs to contact me, they can do so and the user profile will show what my real name is.

My Facebook account is set up in the same way.  My email address is valid, under my real name, but my Facebook user name is one that I picked out of the air.  I enjoy surfing the Internet and I visit a multitude of sites during any given day.  

I am completely okay with using a valid email address to confirm any account that I may establish on the internet - I believe that is the proper way to do things.  However, when it comes to putting my actual name out there where there are individuals posting comments, I'm hesitant about jumping into that pond.  This is particularly true about Facebook, which seems to draw out all sorts of loose cannons.  If you've ever walked through a neighborhood past a fenced-in yard with a dog yapping at you, this is what Facebook reminds me of.  As long as the dog is behind the fence, he feels confident enough to bark and create havoc behind his safety fence.  This might not be the case if the fence wasn't there.  Same deal with Facebook.

Speaking only for me, I think it's better to be on the outskirts looking in than jump into that fray.  But, it can be very interesting to look.  And entertaining to boot, especially if some of the posters decide their feelings have gotten hurt.

You can easily set up email accounts under false names of course. A fake facebook account based on a fake email account.

Facebook is mainly concerned about the number of users, so they can sell advertising, and the more users they have the more they can charge for advertising. Remember facebook was accused by investors of falsely reporting their number of users. An analyst reported they had many users with multiple accounts, many of which were obviously fake, and the stock dropped. Investors complaint was the inflated reports by the company of their number of users, including faker accounts and multiple accounts by the same person, was false information provided by the company, contributing to investment losses.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Just be careful, everyone, what you give out.

Your information is probably being tracked 

much more than you are aware.  Don't make it

any easier for them.

One's full name is not a very specific data point and in most cases is not even close to being unique. There are dozens and dozens of people in the world with my exact first and last names, and a surprising number with with exact first name, last name, and middle initial. In fact there quite a few with my exact first, middle, and last names.

The problem is when names get tied to specific SSN, bank acct, credit card, and other financial numbers, as happens depressingly often with data breaches at banks, stores, and other such entities. Havng one's real name be visible at a free discusion forum like this one carries virtually no risk and in the 12+ years I have been running my hobby forum (with 8,000+ members), not a single instance of harm due to our policy has ever been reported to us.

FWIW, I heard some astonishing numbers recently regarding how many times someone will be recorded on video survelliance during a single short trip in many city. Can't recall the exact figures but they were not in the single digits nor even in the low double digits.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alsancle said:

I remembered the word I was trying to use in my previous post.  Facebook in general and not the AACA sponsored group in particular is cannibalizing this forum.   You can't stop people from migrating there but I really wouldn't go out of my way to promote it.

Ok, now I understand, the AACA Forum is to Facebook what the AACA is to the AACA Museum, right? Happy 2017! Bob

17 minutes ago, gwells said:

One's full name is not a very specific data point and in most cases is not even close to being unique. There are dozens and dozens of people in the world with my exact first and last names, and a surprising number with with exact first name, last name, and middle initial. In fact there quite a few with my exact first, middle, and last names.

Easy for you to say!  Actually, I don't doubt it.  On the other hand, my surname is unusual enough that I'm most likely the only person in North America with my firstname+lastname, but there are a few in England.  And my middle name is virtually unique.

Google yourself periodically to see for yourself how much of your persona is FREELY available.   There are dozens of companies which will divulge more info on you--including SSN, phone, DOB, etc --for 99 cents and up, obtained from paid-access databases.

• Like 1

I do that regularly, actually.

And as I said, "in most cases." Certainly not every one.

And your info actually supports my point: your name is not the problem, it's the other info that can be tied to it. And freezing one's credit as we are able to do here in the US pretty much locks the barn.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grimy said:

...There are dozens of companies which will divulge more info on you--including SSN, phone, DOB, etc --for 99 cents and up, obtained from paid-access databases....

And Grimy has more than the typical experience on 

this subject, based on what he has said of his investigative career.

As you'll see if you read the Forbes article or the link

in my Posting #32, your account #s, your bank balances,

the stocks you own, whom and when you telephone, etc.

can be had for some extra dollars and extra work by

someone with some dishonest skill.

And of course, we should protect what we have.

We would never say, "They can get it anyway, so why bother?"

That would be like saying, "There was a break-in in my town

last night.  I'll leave everything open tonight, since there are

criminals around anyway!"