Need to vent

Restorer32

We have bought wiring harnesses for years from a well known supplier from Rhode Island. We recently purchased a relatively expensive harness. We removed it from its bag and laid it out on the office floor to check how closely it replicated the original only to find that the harness was for a convertible and we had ordered one for a sedan. We returned the harness for credit toward the correct harness only to find that the customer refused to give us credit because the harness was "dusty". Anyone need a "dusty" body harness for a '49 Hudson Commodore ?

A couple of years ago, I ordered the wiring harness for my 1929 FE Studebaker President from the same wiring harness company mentioned in this posting.   I spoke to them on the phone being very clear that my 1929 Studebaker President is the 135 inch long wheelbase model.  Not the FH President that is 125 inch wheelbase.   When I received the wiring harness I started at the front end of the car installing it piece by piece.  It was not until I was nearly finished that I was at the back end of the car and discovered that the wire for the tail light was about a foot short of where it should end.  I was shipped a wiring harness for the FH President that has the shorter 125 inch wheelbase.  The only thing I could do at that point was add a splice to the tail light wire up in the frame rail out of sight.  Unfortunately, speaking to them on the phone and specifying in writing with the physical order, and payment, did not do any good.  I guess someone thinks one size fits all.   

Put the boot on the other foot? are you mad? I can tell where I'd put the boot, and it's not on the other foot that's for sure.

He just removed it from its plastic bag, it must have been dusty to begin with. I for one would not give 2 craps about dust, I care that it fits. It's dusty, not damaged!! They sold him the wrong one and dusty is no reason to deny the replacement of the part they clearly send out wrong ( and dusty) in the 1st place.

This is yet another example of a greedy company looking for any way they can to take your money and provide the least amount of service possible. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE , plain and simple.

I just had a big fight over my phone. It almost burst into flames in my hand (too hot to handle) . It clearly is defective and they admitted it. It's not only under warranty, it had extra insurance covering it. The guy took out his magnifying glass and found a small crack (1/4" in the decorative glass on the back, he determined that voided my insurance and warranty! WHat? It could burn my house down, you admit its defective and a aesthetic crack from normal wear and tear voids my warranty???

To say the company is not on the hook to return this guys harness is ludicrous!

• Like 3

There are actually two "well known" wiring companies in Rhode Island, although I can't get the website of one to come up, so maybe they are out of business.  Anyway, be sure you know which one is being discussed before you make comments or accusations.  The Rhode Island company that I recently dealt with gave me extraordinary service when I had a problem.  That doesn't mean they didn't give Restorer32 a bad time.  If the harness was simply laid out on the office floor, I can't see how it could get dusty enough to cause any problem.  I laid my harness out on my living room floor to check it.  When it came to installing it, I laid out plastic sheet over most of the shop floor  just to make sure things stayed clean.  I do agree with Restorer32 that if he's purchased many, may harnesses from these folks and they treated him like this, he's got a legitimate complaint.

8 hours ago, AJFord54 said:

Our Ford forum went through something like this with a well known New Jersey company.  A couple of phone calls and a posting on the forum and facebook sites made them recognize their stupidity and they backed up the customer.  Suggest a couple of long-time customers on this forum make a call and watch the results.

try that on this forum, you'll find your post deleted

I just ordered a complete harness for my 37 Buick Phaeton from the other Califorinia supplier.  I am very glad now that I did.  I hope that others forward the just of this thread to the RI company.  Dust on a mis manufactured order disqualifies return credit   givemeabreak.  This is what I would call the begenning of the end for a once highly rated supplier.  I will never recomend them to my friends without first relating this event.....

R

I ordered a set of harnesses for my'37 Cord from one of the RI suppliers.  Looking at their website, I told them what I needed over the phone.  They billed my credit card when they shipped, and the charge was $400 over what I expected, based on Internet pricing.  I called, and the owner said "oh, we haven't updated those Internet prices", which of course would have been nice to know when I was ordering.  They refunded half the difference, which is half OK.

Just be careful when you order, as has been mentioned, both price and exactly what you're getting.

On 9/14/2016 at 4:50 AM, Restorer32 said:

We have bought wiring harnesses for years from a well known supplier from Rhode Island. We recently purchased a relatively expensive harness. We removed it from its bag and laid it out on the office floor to check how closely it replicated the original only to find that the harness was for a convertible and we had ordered one for a sedan. We returned the harness for credit toward the correct harness only to find that the customer refused to give us credit because the harness was "dusty". Anyone need a "dusty" body harness for a '49 Hudson Commodore ?

Did you pay with a CC? If so, do a charge back.

On 9/15/2016 at 6:29 AM, 1937hd45 said:

Yet another reason why wiring is the very last step in most restorations. Bob

At least with me, Wiring is done after inside paint, during assembly but before upholstery, glass and final fitment. I paint the inside surfaces and leave the outside in final prime while I assemble the interior, all mechanical, wiring and such. Cheaper to repair a scratch in final prime than after color is applied. Wiring is certainly not last which for me is the outside trim and misc adjustments like alignment etc. Wiring must be installed to start it and inspect that all systems are operational.

Oh, man, I wish the cars that I had to upholster came to me in primer!  Usually, they are painted and sanded and buffed to a mirror shine, perfect, then I'm let loose on them with tacks and hammers. and other implements of destruction.....

Preventing Trimmer's Rash on the finish becomes a full time job......

On 9/14/2016 at 9:05 PM, AJFord54 said:

I am well aware of the policy.   However, if any of the friends of Restorer wish to contact the supplier, on their own - there is nothing wrong with that.  I believe AACA just doesn't want anyone bashing suppliers by name on their site.

I agree with you!

What I don't agree with is, restricting frank and honest critique of those that would take our money, and come up short on quality and/or service.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

I agree with you!

What I don't agree with is, restricting frank and honest critique of those that would take our money, and come up short on quality and/or service.

James and A.J...

Unless something has changed this AACA "owned" website is paid for by the membership for the most part at a large expense.  When I was involved on the other side of the fence we were threatened twice with legal action for providing the vehicle if you will for bashing publicly vendors by Forum participants.  This hopefully will explain the frequent question from frustrated customers why the AACA will not allow vendor bashing.

NOTE:  The AACA does it's best to satisfy so all you have to do is send the target vendor a "PM" (Private Message) to vent.

Regards,

Peter J.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, padgett said:

Would expect anyone here to be able to identify a supplier without naming them.

Well, simply send off a letter to the AACA Board suggesting your plan.  That is the only way you will obtain a proper response.

You bring up another point:  Many people come on to this Forum, ask all sorts of questions thinking they will receive a response from those in charge.  Not going to happen from my experience.  This Forum is utilized by a very low portion of dues paying members.  As a fact many of the people coming on here are not even members of the AACA.

Simple resolution to assist:  The "General Forum" is where everyone gravitates then think they have contacted an AACA official with authority to respond.  Not going to happen!!  Go back to the Home Page, take some time to check out contact info in the Header Bar, check out the many subjects this Forum provides and go from there.  Takes some time so I highly doubt it will change some people's approach.

Regards, 

Peter J.

When I was restoring my Metropolitans I called the Rhode Island company for a new harness and almost fell off my chair with the price!!!  And I live here so the shipping cost was non existent.  I ended buying mine from a Met supplier for less than half the price.